Duke Law Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
chadstew55
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:58 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby chadstew55 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:21 am

http://www.law.duke.edu/computing/incomingstudents#specs
I'm definitely not going to buy my new laptop at the duke store, though, because they are outrageously priced, even with the repair plan.

dmnshm
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:35 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby dmnshm » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:31 am

chadstew55 wrote:http://www.law.duke.edu/computing/incomingstudents#specs
I'm definitely not going to buy my new laptop at the duke store, though, because they are outrageously priced, even with the repair plan.


For sure, but what do the tech-savvy among us have to say about these specs? I've heard that the Lenovo thinkpads are good computers...would that be a good way to go?

fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:56 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby fry » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:32 am

Yeah, any of those are pretty good. Just don't buy it from Duke. Total rip-off. I just got a brand new HP laptop with pretty good specs for $500 bucks. WTF is with the $1200 Dell? Are they nuts?

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Bosque » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:51 am

From the requirements web site:
What about Macintosh computers?

Apple MacBook and MacBook Pro computers running Mac OS X Leopard with BootCamp and Windows are fine for use in the law school. Note that the Contracts Experience course DVD sometimes required for certain sections of contracts only runs under a Windows environment (at this time, we do not believe it will be required for fall 2009). The Electronic Bluebook software used in many courses for final exams is available for both Windows and Macintosh. We recommend that Macintosh users consider adding Windows to their laptops for maximum compatibility. You will find the lowest price for Windws at the Duke Computer Store.


I just bought a 17 inch MacBook Pro that I am in love with, and that is what I will be using for class.

Simile
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:17 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Simile » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:40 am

It's looking like it's going to be Duke for me too :)

Quick question: is the May 1st deposit deadline a postmark or received deadline?

I'll likely be visiting the school this weekend / Monday before I finalize my decision. I'm not expecting much out of Durham, but unless the entire area is completely god awful (doubtful considering the presence of the RT and Chapel Hill) then I'll probably enroll. Any recommendations for what housing/places to look at while I'm there?

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:55 am

dmnshm wrote:What are you guys planning to do for laptops? Is anyone planning on buying the models recommended by the computer store (as the tech support will be better)? Other?

Please help out the technologically inept :oops: :oops:


I just picked up a refurb Dell 15 incher last week for a killer price. (Studio 1537...so nice!) I wasn't worried about tech support since I've been in the computer field for a while. I think they said at ASW that if you buy a laptop from an outside source, tech support will still help you, though you may fall in the queue behind those who did buy from the Duke Computer Store. So if they take too long, you can always bring your laptop to me if it's having problems! :D

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:58 am

Simile wrote:It's looking like it's going to be Duke for me too :)

Quick question: is the May 1st deposit deadline a postmark or received deadline?

I'll likely be visiting the school this weekend / Monday before I finalize my decision. I'm not expecting much out of Durham, but unless the entire area is completely god awful (doubtful considering the presence of the RT and Chapel Hill) then I'll probably enroll. Any recommendations for what housing/places to look at while I'm there?


Grats on your decision! I'm not sure about the fall starter deadline, but the summer starter deadline was the deposit had to be received by April 1. Here's an exerpt from an email Mark Hill sent the summer class.

I would like to remind you that your $500 non-refundable tuition deposit is due in our office no later than April 1, 2009. In order to guarantee your seat in the class, please be certain that you do not miss the deadline. To ensure that your deposit arrives on time, you may wish to use an overnight delivery service. We recommend using Fedex or UPS as they are the only services that deliver directly to the Law School. Please use the following address when using an express delivery service:

Office of Admissions
Duke University School of Law
Science Drive & Towerview Road
Durham NC 27708-0393


As far as housing goes, most law students live in Pinnacle Ridge or Alexan, and both seem to be pretty nice. Let us know how the trip goes!

User avatar
frissle
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:55 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby frissle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:02 am

Simile wrote:It's looking like it's going to be Duke for me too :)

Quick question: is the May 1st deposit deadline a postmark or received deadline?

I'll likely be visiting the school this weekend / Monday before I finalize my decision. I'm not expecting much out of Durham, but unless the entire area is completely god awful (doubtful considering the presence of the RT and Chapel Hill) then I'll probably enroll. Any recommendations for what housing/places to look at while I'm there?


The May 1st deposit deadline is a RECEIVED deadline, not postmarked!

Back2School
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Back2School » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:38 am

Simile wrote:It's looking like it's going to be Duke for me too :)

Quick question: is the May 1st deposit deadline a postmark or received deadline?

I'll likely be visiting the school this weekend / Monday before I finalize my decision. I'm not expecting much out of Durham, but unless the entire area is completely god awful (doubtful considering the presence of the RT and Chapel Hill) then I'll probably enroll. Any recommendations for what housing/places to look at while I'm there?


As far as housing, check out the link that dresq has on the very first post of this thread. It's a pdf with results from Duke's off-campus housing survey, providing rent ranges, satisfaction levels, and comments for 36 different apartment complexes. Dresq has also been kind enough to post the individual links to each of those complexes as well.

fromsun2blue
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:04 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby fromsun2blue » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:12 am

Just wanted to drop in... Deposit paid, currently working and studying in South Korea... If anyone finds a spectacular deal on apts, I'd love to know...

aer
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby aer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:31 pm

dresq wrote:
aer wrote:I have a similar question, does anyone know if I will need to put Windows on my Mac?

Unfortunately, whether it's necessary or not Windows always seems to make life easier :evil: . I run both Windows and Ubuntu Linux on my new laptop (which I just got to today and am setting up right now after my last one died two weeks ago!), but the tech support at Duke probably does know how to deal with Macs nowadays.

Looks like you might need to put Windows on your Mac, but the tech support won't leave you high and dry. Anecdotal evidence here:

http://maclawstudents.com/blog/law-school-exam-software/

Thanks.
Do you have any suggestions on how many GB I should give to windows when I partition my harddrive? My harddrive is 200GB and I have 2 GB of Ram.

User avatar
dresq
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby dresq » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:07 pm

aer wrote:
dresq wrote:
aer wrote:I have a similar question, does anyone know if I will need to put Windows on my Mac?

Unfortunately, whether it's necessary or not Windows always seems to make life easier :evil: . I run both Windows and Ubuntu Linux on my new laptop (which I just got to today and am setting up right now after my last one died two weeks ago!), but the tech support at Duke probably does know how to deal with Macs nowadays.

Looks like you might need to put Windows on your Mac, but the tech support won't leave you high and dry. Anecdotal evidence here:

http://maclawstudents.com/blog/law-school-exam-software/

Thanks.
Do you have any suggestions on how many GB I should give to windows when I partition my harddrive? My harddrive is 200GB and I have 2 GB of Ram.

Depends on what you'll use it for. I'd say you can probably run Windows on a 2GB partition. If you're just using it for bluebooking, that might be enough. I would recommend 10GB for a little cushion. I'd run everything by tech support at Duke first, though. I'm sure they've had a lot of experience with this. You'll probably want a FAT32 partition also so that you can share files between the two operating systems, and/or you can get a flash drive that's FAT32 for that.

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:01 pm

dresq wrote:
aer wrote:
dresq wrote:
aer wrote:I have a similar question, does anyone know if I will need to put Windows on my Mac?

Unfortunately, whether it's necessary or not Windows always seems to make life easier :evil: . I run both Windows and Ubuntu Linux on my new laptop (which I just got to today and am setting up right now after my last one died two weeks ago!), but the tech support at Duke probably does know how to deal with Macs nowadays.

Looks like you might need to put Windows on your Mac, but the tech support won't leave you high and dry. Anecdotal evidence here:

http://maclawstudents.com/blog/law-school-exam-software/

Thanks.
Do you have any suggestions on how many GB I should give to windows when I partition my harddrive? My harddrive is 200GB and I have 2 GB of Ram.

Depends on what you'll use it for. I'd say you can probably run Windows on a 2GB partition. If you're just using it for bluebooking, that might be enough. I would recommend 10GB for a little cushion. I'd run everything by tech support at Duke first, though. I'm sure they've had a lot of experience with this. You'll probably want a FAT32 partition also so that you can share files between the two operating systems, and/or you can get a flash drive that's FAT32 for that.


It really depends on what OS you're planning to install for Windows. Vista Ultimate with Office 2007 takes up a healthy 12-18 GB. I'd do at least a 20GB partition just to be safe.

aer
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby aer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks again. What is FAT32? I am going to try and get XP, but may have to deal with Vista.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Bosque » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:35 pm

Hey guys. I am FedExing in my materials today. I am planning on putting the financial aid stuff and the admitted students contract/check in the same envelope addressed to the office of admissions, with a note attached to the financial aid stuff to send it over to the appropriate destination. Do you think this will be ok? I would send two, but then I have to pay for two and (more importantly) worry about two packages getting there.

Oh, and I am pretty sure the deadline is received by May 1st. That is why I am using FedEx instead of the US mail. This way I can track it to be sure it gets there in time.

aer
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby aer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:37 pm

I sent all of my stuff in one envelope and it was fine.

iceman12354
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby iceman12354 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:40 pm

I'm so happy there is such a strong showing for Duke Law this year. I'm a 1L in the midst of finals, and even though it sucks right now, my experience has been awesome. I was a summer starter, and I'll be living in Pinnacle Ridge. Hope to see you guys around. It'll be a blast, or as much of a blast as law school can be!

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Bosque » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:42 pm

aer wrote:Thanks again. What is FAT32? I am going to try and get XP, but may have to deal with Vista.


If you are going to get stuck with Vista, I would try and wait. In fact, I am going to try and wait if I cannot get my hands on a copy of XP. Unless you have that one contracts class that needs Windows, you won't need to have the other OS installed until exam time. Windows 7 may come out in October. Once Windows 7 comes out, Vista will go the way of Windows Me.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Bosque » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:43 pm

aer wrote:I sent all of my stuff in one envelope and it was fine.


Excellent, thanks! I didn't think it would be a problem, but I thought I would be sure.

Back2School
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Back2School » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:45 pm

Bosque wrote:
aer wrote:I sent all of my stuff in one envelope and it was fine.


Excellent, thanks! I didn't think it would be a problem, but I thought I would be sure.


I actually called to ask about this today as well. They said one envelope is fine since the same person opens and sorts the mail for both "boxes".

barefootmanner
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:24 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby barefootmanner » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:47 pm

Plus, the two offices are within feet of each other.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Bosque » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:50 pm

barefootmanner wrote:Plus, the two offices are within feet of each other.


That was my thinking too. :D

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Bosque » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Another quick question: Where on the check did you guys write the DOB/LSAC info?

barefootmanner
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:24 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby barefootmanner » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:54 pm

I just wrote it at the top, but I'm sure anywhere on the check is fine.

chadstew55
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:58 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby chadstew55 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:55 pm

aer wrote:Thanks again. What is FAT32? I am going to try and get XP, but may have to deal with Vista.

FAT32 is a file system. It is the old version compared to NTFS, which is mostly used on Vista (maybe XP, I can't remember). Mac uses a different file system, though, like HFS or something.

Honestly, I never partition my hard drive. I don't really see a good point to it and wouldn't suggest it to anyone. I have another external HD that is 1 terabyte that I like to use for backing up, etc... so I don't need a partition to use as a backup archive or something. I honestly have no earthly idea why anyone would want to partition off their OS... If one of your partitions gets screwed up, it is likely that your whole HD is screwed so I don't think it is in any way helpful as a backup. To back up my stuff, I save an image of my laptop HD onto my external HD once a month and I always keep three images of my laptop HD on the external HD, two from the last two months, and one image that is just the operating system and essential programs like Office. I have a few USB drives that I use for short term backups. This just seems so much more efficient and reliable to me...

Is Windows 7 really scheduled to come out in October? I may hold off buying a new laptop...




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest