Duke Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Gordon

New

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Post by Gordon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:17 pm

pgrigg wrote:Alright, so unfortunately the last 1L gathering was apparently last saturday and I missed it since I havent moved yet.

Is anyone interested in meeting up this Saturday evening for a "let me tell you about myself over this mydrinkofchoice" (assuming several of us have not moved yet or moved after the last gathering)?
Sure, I'm definitely interested. I also missed the last gathering.

frissle

New

Post by frissle » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:51 pm

Gordon wrote:
pgrigg wrote:Alright, so unfortunately the last 1L gathering was apparently last saturday and I missed it since I havent moved yet.

Is anyone interested in meeting up this Saturday evening for a "let me tell you about myself over this mydrinkofchoice" (assuming several of us have not moved yet or moved after the last gathering)?
Sure, I'm definitely interested. I also missed the last gathering.
When we were discussing it earlier, a good number of us were interested in getting together this saturday as well before orientation. Any suggestions? I haven't spent much time in Durham but I heard the Federal and the Irish pubs were fun places there to grab a drink

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:29 pm

glad to see i'm not alone in section 5.

on another note... i passed the patent bar today!!!

creditedresponse

New

Post by creditedresponse » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:50 pm

If y'all are down for another get-together on Saturday, I would be happy to spread the word again. James Joyce or The Pinhook this time?

Also, section 4 here. On the one hand: no books for Con Law, but class both Monday morning and Friday morning/afternoon. Ugh.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:59 pm

dresq wrote:glad to see i'm not alone in section 5.

woohoo!

wish i were in your shoes, but the dissertation cut it too close to do it in time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:04 pm

creditedresponse wrote:If y'all are down for another get-together on Saturday, I would be happy to spread the word again. James Joyce or The Pinhook this time?

Also, section 4 here. On the one hand: no books for Con Law, but class both Monday morning and Friday morning/afternoon. Ugh.
pinhook sounds really good to me, unless there's a show... tends to get crowded and a bit loud those nights, which might not be good for what we're trying to do.
wiseowl wrote:
dresq wrote:glad to see i'm not alone in section 5.

woohoo!

wish i were in your shoes, but the dissertation cut it too close to do it in time.
that sucks. still, passing final defense >>>>>>>>> passing patent bar. woohoo! to you, dr. wiseowl 8)

kbtl

New

Post by kbtl » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Bosque wrote:
frissle wrote:
I know this has been discussed before, but did we ever figure out the verdict on the Mac compatibility? I got a new MacBook in december and am wondering if I need to go out and buy windows like the email we got a few weeks ago suggests

I don't really feel like going and finding the relevant post to quote, but yes Duke is. The testing software Duke uses can be put on a Mac, and the contracts professor who uses a CD with an exe file on it aint teaching the class in the fall (I think). So you should be set.

If not, Windows 7 is in open trial beta until May or so of next year. Just grab a copy of that.

Thanks bosque, I thought I remember reading that I would be fine, but I wanted to be sure. I'll check when I get there but it looks promising.

I know we came to this conclusion as well, but I started doing computer configuration yesterday and I'm not sure that was really the right conclusion. I'm going to wait a little bit, but it seems like we need Novell Client and some other windows programs to be able to access certain information on the Duke server. I'm not entirely confident in my conclusion, but this seems like the case and the tech people have been pretty direct about needing compatibility. I would have to buy Leopard before I could install bootcamp and be at the compatibility level they want, so I'm not going to take this step yet, but I'm still not completely convinced.
You really, really, really don't. You certainly don't need Novell Client, you don't need Windows. I spent the last year at Duke with a Mac with absolutely no problems. I suppose you could buy Windows if you are not convinced, but it would be a monumental waste of money.

BarackObama

New

Post by BarackObama » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:53 pm

Section 2. 8)

skiridedrive

New

Post by skiridedrive » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:35 pm

My plan was to pass the patent bar by today, I got a little distracted this summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pogopop

New

Post by Pogopop » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:37 pm

section 2 here too. I'm pretty public policy-oriented -- is everyone else in section 2? Just wondering since I know some other policy people are in the section.

I'm a little bummed about my Friday legal writing class though.

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:05 pm

Also in for this Saturday.

creditedresponse

New

Post by creditedresponse » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:02 pm

dresq wrote:pinhook sounds really good to me, unless there's a show... tends to get crowded and a bit loud those nights, which might not be good for what we're trying to do.
So it looks like there IS a show there that night. Ordinarily, that would be fine, but since we're trying to get to know everyone, why don't we say James Joyce at 10pm this Saturday instead?

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:13 pm

creditedresponse wrote:
dresq wrote:pinhook sounds really good to me, unless there's a show... tends to get crowded and a bit loud those nights, which might not be good for what we're trying to do.
So it looks like there IS a show there that night. Ordinarily, that would be fine, but since we're trying to get to know everyone, why don't we say James Joyce at 10pm this Saturday instead?
sounds good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

frissle

New

Post by frissle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:14 pm

dresq wrote:
creditedresponse wrote:
sounds good.
count me in as well

pgrigg

New

Post by pgrigg » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:14 am

In

Back2School

New

Post by Back2School » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:24 am

So I just logged onto ACES and checked my schedule for the first time and it appears I'm in different sections for different courses. Does this sound right? Anyone else in the same boat? (Section 2 for Civ Pro and Contracts, Sec. 3 for Legal Analysis and Writing, and Sec. 1 for Property).

jitcher

New

Post by jitcher » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:33 am

Hey there- rising Duke 2L here. I’ve got books from first year that I want to get rid of, but I figured I’d give fellow Duke students first crack before I put them on Amazon or something. All these books come with my outline of the class if you want it, and as much advice as you’d like on the course and professor if I had him or her. If you’re interested in any of them- send me an email- jch46@duke.edu

*** All books are spoken for except for the Constitutional Law 2008 Supplement. Email me if you want that one***

Legal Analysis, Writing, and Research (ALL sections need these books)
[strike]Legal Writing- Process, Analysis, and Organization by Edwards- $40 (no markings)[/strike]
[strike]Legal Research in a Nutshell- $15 (no markings)[/strike]

Contracts with Richman (sections 4 & 6)-
[strike]Contract Law and Theory (4th edition) AND Supplement- $70 (main text has some highlighting and writing in it, supplement has no markings)[/strike]

Property with Wiener (section 2)-
[strike]Property Law and Policy- $70 (I bought it new last year, so very few markings in the book, no highlighting)[/strike]

Constitutional Law with Blocher (section 5)-
Constitutional Law 2008 Supplement- $10

Study Aids- these would be useful for any section

[strike]Gilbert Law Summaries- Property- $15[/strike]
[strike]Concepts and Case Analysis in the Law of Contracts (AKA: “The Boat Book”)- $35 (this one single handedly got me a good grade in contracts, I highly recommend it, even if you don’t buy it from me.)[/strike]
[strike]Constitutional Law Principles and Policies by Chemerinsky- $40[/strike]
Last edited by jitcher on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:36 am

Back2School wrote:So I just logged onto ACES and checked my schedule for the first time and it appears I'm in different sections for different courses. Does this sound right? Anyone else in the same boat? (Section 2 for Civ Pro and Contracts, Sec. 3 for Legal Analysis and Writing, and Sec. 1 for Property).
yea, those .01 .02 .03 numbers are just suffixes really and don't apply to your Duke Law Section. Go to the Class schedule link on the webpage and it says in italics which section you are. You are either 2,3,4 or 5.

buckley

New

Post by buckley » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:40 am

hey guys I am a future duke hopeful. Any advice on how you got into Duke? Did you address "why duke" in your personal statement? Thanks!

Back2School

New

Post by Back2School » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:53 am

wiseowl wrote:
Back2School wrote:So I just logged onto ACES and checked my schedule for the first time and it appears I'm in different sections for different courses. Does this sound right? Anyone else in the same boat? (Section 2 for Civ Pro and Contracts, Sec. 3 for Legal Analysis and Writing, and Sec. 1 for Property).
yea, those .01 .02 .03 numbers are just suffixes really and don't apply to your Duke Law Section. Go to the Class schedule link on the webpage and it says in italics which section you are. You are either 2,3,4 or 5.
Thanks for the help wiseowl. After checking the Class Schedule link, I still think I'm in multiple sections. If I go into the "List View" for Class Schedule, I assume the number (blue link) under the heading "Section" is what I should be looking at? I'm sure if there is a mistake it will get straightened out during orientation. Thanks again.

Back2School

New

Post by Back2School » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:00 am

Back2School wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
Thanks for the help wiseowl. After checking the Class Schedule link, I still think I'm in multiple sections. If I go into the "List View" for Class Schedule, I assume the number (blue link) under the heading "Section" is what I should be looking at? I'm sure if there is a mistake it will get straightened out during orientation. Thanks again.

Ok, I'm a moron. Didn't realize initially you had to derive your section from comparing your schedule to the master schedule on the Duke Law website. Looks like I'm in Section 2. Thanks again for your help wise.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:13 am

buckley wrote:hey guys I am a future duke hopeful. Any advice on how you got into Duke? Did you address "why duke" in your personal statement? Thanks!
There is an option to write "Why Duke" as a separate supplemental essay. Definitely write this, and be specific! I did my homework and wrote about specific classes, professors, and clinics I was interested in.

I used my generic personal statement as the required essay and did not tailor it to Duke.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:14 am

Back2School wrote:
Back2School wrote:
wiseowl wrote:

Ok, I'm a moron. Didn't realize initially you had to derive your section from comparing your schedule to the master schedule on the Duke Law website. Looks like I'm in Section 2. Thanks again for your help wise.
Sorry, I could have explained that better. You figured it out! :)

buckley

New

Post by buckley » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks wise owl!

buckley

New

Post by buckley » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:03 pm

Anyone interested in the M.T.S. Degree? I will be applying for that as well

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.