Duke Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
frissle

New

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Post by frissle » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:17 am

Straying from the current topics, I wanted to post a great website a friend found for me:

--LinkRemoved--

It's a blog with some good info regarding restaurants, coffee shops, and a few bars in Durham.

BarrelState

New

Post by BarrelState » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:43 pm

That guide is really great. I am getting pretty hungry looking at it. Thanks!

aer

New

Post by aer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Bosque wrote:Anyone have an idea of how soon into the semester we will absolutely need our books? Because if we don't need need them until a week or so in, I will probably still get mine online. Cheeper that way, especially since I am not planing on selling them back.
For the summer we were emailed reading assignments for the first day of class.

BarrelState

New

Post by BarrelState » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:39 pm

This was linked on the website frissle recommended. It is a blog put together by some law students describing their attempt to eat at every restaurant in Durham: --LinkRemoved--.

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:41 pm

BarrelState wrote:This was linked on the website frissle recommended. It is a blog put together by some law students describing their attempt to eat at every restaurant in Durham: --LinkRemoved--.
I was looking at the blog earlier today. Made me pretty hungry.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

letsgopsu

New

Post by letsgopsu » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:13 pm

I just got the email about making my duke insurance decision and find it all extremely confusing. Has anyone successfully waived the insurance? Where do we find our unique duke id?

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:10 am

aer wrote:
Bosque wrote:Anyone have an idea of how soon into the semester we will absolutely need our books? Because if we don't need need them until a week or so in, I will probably still get mine online. Cheeper that way, especially since I am not planing on selling them back.
As in you were emailed what the reading assignments were for the first day of class and had to read them in your book, or you were emailed PDFs of the reading assignments and therefore did not need your books immediately?

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:15 am

letsgopsu wrote:I just got the email about making my duke insurance decision and find it all extremely confusing. Has anyone successfully waived the insurance? Where do we find our unique duke id?
You can find your unique Duke ID at the top of your ACES page.

aer

New

Post by aer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:45 pm

Bosque wrote:
aer wrote:
As in you were emailed what the reading assignments were for the first day of class and had to read them in your book, or you were emailed PDFs of the reading assignments and therefore did not need your books immediately?
We needed our CIv Pro book for the second day and the contracts DVD the first.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:26 pm

In that De Novo guide we were sent, it says that some students called in and were able to receive their section number by phone prior to orientation so that they could order books online. I definitely plan to do this since buying online is so much cheaper than through the bookstore. I don't know how early it's appropriate to call though...I'm thinking mid July maybe???

Also thanks for posting these food blogs!!
And dresq, thanks for the loan opinion from a few pages back. I decided to go with CFI and that was worked out well thus far.

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:30 pm

aholmes87 wrote:
letsgopsu wrote:I just got the email about making my duke insurance decision and find it all extremely confusing. Has anyone successfully waived the insurance? Where do we find our unique duke id?
You can find your unique Duke ID at the top of your ACES page.
I successfully waived insurance. It's not too hard at all, takes about 5 minutes. Though finding the unique id is key.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:27 pm

Do we get lockers?

I don't remember, so I hope someone else on here does. (Or one of the summer starters can help me.)

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:53 pm

I'm pretty sure there are some lockers around, but I can't remember if we get them or not. Their existence means there is probably some kind of way though.

Also, another random question. Has anyone seen this 1L writing break in the fall? I know we have memos due right after it, but what does that mean? The 2 and 3Ls get a fall break, but do we still have class or just legal writing?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fry

New

Post by fry » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:08 pm

yes, we get lockers although we might have to share with one other person to accommodate everyone.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:22 pm

So long as I don't have to lug all my books around with me all day, I am happy.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:19 pm

Bump a lump.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:57 pm

i bought my green zone permit online yesterday.

i think all i need to do now is send in transcripts, even though in theory they shouldn't need them again since they haven't changed in six years. best to overkill it i guess.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:07 pm

LEAD week infor was sent out. I would talk about it, but I am busy with my Stafford/Perkins loan counseling. :(

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:16 pm

I just started reading the orientation info. and Duke seems to not be MAC compatible. What are MAC users doing? I've heard bootcamp is a pain to use, but I can't imagine buying a new laptop. . . and I don't really want to switch back to a PC. I guess I have to think about this though. Will there be other software that isn't MAC compatible or is it just the exam software? THe worst thing ever would be to get to an exam and have the software have glitches, but if that's the only time I'd need to worry about it so maybe it will work out.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:29 pm

pumpkincrepes wrote:I just started reading the orientation info. and Duke seems to not be MAC compatible. What are MAC users doing? I've heard bootcamp is a pain to use, but I can't imagine buying a new laptop. . . and I don't really want to switch back to a PC. I guess I have to think about this though. Will there be other software that isn't MAC compatible or is it just the exam software? THe worst thing ever would be to get to an exam and have the software have glitches, but if that's the only time I'd need to worry about it so maybe it will work out.
They are Mac compatible as a campus, you just need to be able to switch over to windows for test taking. In any case, I have a Vista partition on my Mac and it works fine, I haven't had any issues with it (beyond the normal Vista annoyances in any case. Does it really need to ask me 5 times if I really want to run that file I just double clicked on?). When you have windows running on a partition (AKA Bootcamp) you are running a windows machine on that part of your computer. If you have any software issues with the exam software, you would have had them on a dell or an HP as well. Just load a windows partition on your machine and you should be fine.

I know there is one contracts section that uses a DvD which they say is not compatible with Mac (probably uses an .exe file). So you would need to pop over to the windows side of your laptop for that. Other than that though, you should be able to stay in the warm embrace of the Mac OS during law school.

On the loan front, I think I am going with College Foundation. I really want to be done with this. Any idea on how (EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out)
Last edited by Bosque on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon

New

Post by Gordon » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:32 pm

This may be a silly question, but how dressed up are you guys planning to be for your Duke Card/online student directory photo that we're supposed to submit?

Obviously I won't wear my Motorhead t-shirt, but are you planning to go casual, business casual, full jacket and tie, etc.?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:54 pm

Bosque wrote:On the loan front, I think I am going with College Foundation. I really want to be done with this. Any idea on how to get the Master Promissory note? Do I have to just wait till they mail it to me? Because that seems silly.
I struggled mightily with this and finally swallowed my pride and called the FA office.

if you're going with CFNC -

finish all the counseling for Stafford/PLUS off ACES
then go to http://www.cfnc.org/onlineapps/mpn/mpnapp_start.jsp
Click on the little blue tab that says "Start Stafford Loan Process Now! Click here!"
Create a CFNC account
Try to submit the MPN online. It didn't work for me, so I had to print out the PDF, sign, and send in by mail. I did this about a week ago and haven't heard anything further. My status on the CFNC site says "Your application is processed and awaiting school verification".
Repeat for PLUS.

But yea, I subtly let the Duke FA guy know that the help/guidance for FA needs a little sprucing up. I like to think I'm not a total vegetable, but I was totally lost during this whole process.
Last edited by wiseowl on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Gordon wrote:This may be a silly question, but how dressed up are you guys planning to be for your Duke Card/online student directory photo that we're supposed to submit?

Obviously I won't wear my Motorhead t-shirt, but are you planning to go casual, business casual, full jacket and tie, etc.?
It's just a passport photo isn't it? My melonish head should do most of the heavy lifting.

I'll probably be business casual at best.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:40 pm

wiseowl wrote:i bought my green zone permit online yesterday.

i think all i need to do now is send in transcripts, even though in theory they shouldn't need them again since they haven't changed in six years. best to overkill it i guess.
Uh-oh....what's a green zone permit?

Also...what is this about submitting a picture? And when do we have to do this?

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:42 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Gordon wrote:This may be a silly question, but how dressed up are you guys planning to be for your Duke Card/online student directory photo that we're supposed to submit?

It's just a passport photo isn't it? My melonish head should do most of the heavy lifting.

I'll probably be business casual at best.
I will be wearing whatever the hell I am wearing when I take the photo. It is an ID picture, who cares what you are wearing? All you see is the very tip top of your shirt, if that.

I am more worried about my beard. If I shave it off at some point, I hope I don't need to get a different ID.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”