Duke Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
dsalisbury

New

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Post by dsalisbury » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:58 am

Count me in for the class of 2012 as well. How many of you guys are starting this summer?

dmnshm

New

Post by dmnshm » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:08 am

dsalisbury wrote:Count me in for the class of 2012 as well. How many of you guys are starting this summer?
not trying to conceal too much with that handle, huh? :) :) :)

Summer starter here, I think aer is as well and atlrochester? although he hasn't been on here for a while...hmm I thought there were more, but my memory is failing me

ObviouslyMasochistic

New

Post by ObviouslyMasochistic » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:26 am

dresq wrote:
ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:Wow, our little group has grown.
Grown? More like blown the f*ck up! So much for a small class size at Duke :D
No kidding! All of this Duke love is making me worry about over-enrollment though. Do you guys think they'll get a few more than the ~200 they were shooting for?

ObviouslyMasochistic

New

Post by ObviouslyMasochistic » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:27 am

dmnshm wrote:
dsalisbury wrote:Count me in for the class of 2012 as well. How many of you guys are starting this summer?

Summer starter here, I think aer is as well and atlrochester? although he hasn't been on here for a while...hmm I thought there were more, but my memory is failing me
Summer starter here as well, moving up there on May 21st, can't wait to meet you folks! Hey, dresq, do you think you could differentiate the summer starters from the fall starters in the main list (maybe an asterisk or something)?

iceboyd9

New

Post by iceboyd9 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:44 am

i'm a summer starter also. just got a place at pinnacle ridge

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:46 am

ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:All of this Duke love is making me worry about over-enrollment though. Do you guys think they'll get a few more than the ~200 they were shooting for?
I made a few jokes about it earlier in the thread, but I am starting to get a little nervous. Only a little, though. I think all of the momentum we've drummed up may be making people feel better about not only choosing Duke over some other schools, but also about admitting to it. (In the past, given TLS feelings about Duke I felt like I was in a 12-step program, admitting, "I'm dresq, and I choose to go to Duke," as though I was coming clean with a problem or something.) Remember: we're still only about 10% of the class. We're probably just more organized/vocal this year on TLS. Dean Hoye told me during my interview there that last year they over-enrolled by 24 people or so (i.e. 12%). I think this year will be similar. If they do over-enroll by much more than that, they simply won't be able to afford/accommodate us. My guess is that in that event they'd offer money to any volunteers who are willing to defer for a year - kind of like on an over-booked airplane. Bottom line: don't stress too much about this.

anonymous_dude

New

Post by anonymous_dude » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:48 am

I know this is very late in the game, but did any of you appeal your scholarships? If so, how?

tyia

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:49 am

ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:Hey, dresq, do you think you could differentiate the summer starters from the fall starters in the main list (maybe an asterisk or something)?
I'm on it. I'll go back through the previous posts and identify whoever I can from that info. The rest of you... fess up. If you're a summer starter, let us know.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:52 am

i am not a summer starter.

i remember from ASD Dean Levi greeted the 275 of us that were there and said something like "we love you but you can't all come". then they put on such a great ASD that they may have brought that into play.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:55 am

ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:
dresq wrote:
ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:Wow, our little group has grown.
Grown? More like blown the f*ck up! So much for a small class size at Duke :D
No kidding! All of this Duke love is making me worry about over-enrollment though. Do you guys think they'll get a few more than the ~200 they were shooting for?
hmm... I don't know. Most of the other class threads have a little over 10% of their class on TLS too, so I think we're alright. Cornell has like 17% of their class on their thread...
I heard that around 8 Mordecai scholars accepted their offers this year versus about 5 normally. So, maybe...

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:09 am

dresq wrote:
ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:Hey, dresq, do you think you could differentiate the summer starters from the fall starters in the main list (maybe an asterisk or something)?
I'm on it. I'll go back through the previous posts and identify whoever I can from that info. The rest of you... fess up. If you're a summer starter, let us know.
The list is updated. Let me know if I made any mistakes, and I'll keep an eye out for summer starters in the future, too.

ObviouslyMasochistic

New

Post by ObviouslyMasochistic » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:29 am

dresq wrote:
dresq wrote:
The list is updated. Let me know if I made any mistakes, and I'll keep an eye out for summer starters in the future, too.
Thanks for this, dresq, you rock! :D

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:55 pm

Awww....they just denied my scholarship increase request....poopy....oh well, I just filled out the deposit form, I'm still going.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:29 pm

dresq wrote:
ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:All of this Duke love is making me worry about over-enrollment though. Do you guys think they'll get a few more than the ~200 they were shooting for?
I made a few jokes about it earlier in the thread, but I am starting to get a little nervous. Only a little, though. I think all of the momentum we've drummed up may be making people feel better about not only choosing Duke over some other schools, but also about admitting to it. (In the past, given TLS feelings about Duke I felt like I was in a 12-step program, admitting, "I'm dresq, and I choose to go to Duke," as though I was coming clean with a problem or something.) Remember: we're still only about 10% of the class. We're probably just more organized/vocal this year on TLS. Dean Hoye told me during my interview there that last year they over-enrolled by 24 people or so (i.e. 12%). I think this year will be similar. If they do over-enroll by much more than that, they simply won't be able to afford/accommodate us. My guess is that in that event they'd offer money to any volunteers who are willing to defer for a year - kind of like on an over-booked airplane. Bottom line: don't stress too much about this.
I got the vibe from the ASW that we are in danger of over enrolling this year, but I think it is going to affect the wait listers much more than us. We will probably over enroll by a few people, maybe 25 or so. That shouldn't really change the class dynamics by much. But if they over enroll at all, that means no one gets in off the wait list.

atlrochester

New

Post by atlrochester » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:52 pm

dmnshm wrote:

hey yup summerstarter here, got a spot in pinnacle ridge

Pogopop

New

Post by Pogopop » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:54 pm

I actually talked to Mark Hill about over-enrollment at ASW. He said that he didn't really anticipate it happening and he wasn't too concerned, but they'd figure out how to handle it if it does happen. He was emphatic that the class size would remain in the same range though.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:32 pm

dresq wrote:
If they offered this, would any of you take it? If they offered to increase my scholarship money again I would be tempted, but at the same time I really want to get started.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

star111

New

Post by star111 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:34 pm

-
Last edited by star111 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:46 pm

Bosque wrote:
dresq wrote:
If they offered this, would any of you take it? If they offered to increase my scholarship money again I would be tempted, but at the same time I really want to get started.
Yeah, I would probably take it if they increased my scholarship offer. I would take on another major and stay in undergrad for another year if I couldn't find a good laid back job.

Kareno

New

Post by Kareno » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:53 pm

Add me to the list!

I'll be there in August and am looking for a roomie.

dmnshm

New

Post by dmnshm » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:31 am

What are you guys planning to do for laptops? Is anyone planning on buying the models recommended by the computer store (as the tech support will be better)? Other?

Please help out the technologically inept :oops: :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aer

New

Post by aer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:40 am

I have a similar question, does anyone know if I will need to put Windows on my Mac?

fry

New

Post by fry » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:45 am

Anyone looking for a roommate in either Pinnacle Ridge or at the Farms for Fall?

PM me if you are.

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:51 am

aer wrote:I have a similar question, does anyone know if I will need to put Windows on my Mac?
Unfortunately, whether it's necessary or not Windows always seems to make life easier :evil: . I run both Windows and Ubuntu Linux on my new laptop (which I just got to today and am setting up right now after my last one died two weeks ago!), but the tech support at Duke probably does know how to deal with Macs nowadays.

Looks like you might need to put Windows on your Mac, but the tech support won't leave you high and dry. Anecdotal evidence here:

http://maclawstudents.com/blog/law-scho ... -software/

syrahfan

New

Post by syrahfan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:03 am

My procrastinating on finalizing my decision ended today, and i sent my enrollment/scholarship forms in. Now I just have to make sure I keep $500 in my bank account.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”