Who to live with during 1L

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
imchuckbass58

Who to live with during 1L

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:38 pm

So I posted this on the current student's board, but wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts.

I grew up in NYC and have lived here for 2 years following college. I'm still finishing up my cycle, but chances are I will end up at either NYU or Columbia, so I've started thinking about living arrangements.

Basically, I can enter the school housing draw, get university housing (which is fine, but not great at both places) and live with other law students, or I can get a place with some of my (non-law school) friends elsewhere in the city.

I've heard two perspectives. One says living with law students gives you a support network of people who know what law school is like, and allows you to form bonds with your classmates. Another says living with law students will stress you out unnecessarily, and turn you into someone who talks about nothing except for law school since it pervades all aspects of your existence and the only people you hang out with are other law students

A couple of things to keep in mind:

--I want to meet and make friends with my classmates, but I also want to maintain a life outside of law school and keep up my non-law school friendships. I consider myself fairly social and feel I would be able to do both, but I realize either choice would entail compromises on one end or the other.

--I'm pretty confident I could find cheaper, better housing off-campus than what NYU and Columbia offer, but this would likely entail living 15-20 minutes away by subway, rather than a 5 minute walk.

Would appreciate any thoughts you guys have on this.

muse

Re: Who to live with during 1L

Postby muse » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:09 pm

I'm in almost the exact same position, and I have been pondering this as well. I am leaning toward living alone, or with another law student.

I think that living with non-law students, while not adding to the stress level, will be difficult. I know for me it would be hard to live with working professionals who go out and spend money and enjoy leisure while I am living frugally with my nose in books. I think also depending on yoru study habits, it might be hard to stay quietly in your room studying while others are gathering/making noise. Also, another law student (who is chill) may not add to your stress but be able to keep you grounded when you get overstressed.

my 2 cents..

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:10 pm

Live with an undergrad if you want to have fun. :P

pdubs217

Postby pdubs217 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:33 pm

I have a similar dilemma. I am thinking about going to my UG institution for law school, and I have friends who are like "Hey, let's live together," but I don't think it would be a good idea.

mllerustad

Postby mllerustad » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:42 pm

I'd recommend grad students as roommates. They're also poor, so you'll be financially compatible, but having a roommate in a different field spaces out finals/quals stress somewhat and provides some breathing room from the giant vortex that is law school.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:56 am

I'm in the same boat. I think I'm going to try and find another 1L to live with off campus. Living with someone with a 9-5 would probably drive me crazy during exam time.

Edit to add that I do want to live walking distance to campus though. Not a big fan of the idea of commuting my first year.

Marmot

Postby Marmot » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:29 am

Right now I'm debating whether to live with others or just get my own place. If I do live with others, I'm definitely going to try and avoid living with law students - I'll probably look for grad student roommates as mentioned above.

youpiiz

Postby youpiiz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:30 am

Last edited by youpiiz on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ernge

Postby Ernge » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:29 am

For my 1L I, more than likely, will be living with a friend who is a first year med student at the same school. It'll be good to have a diverse group of friends, and also, good to have a roommate who knows that studying is essential to survival (no pun intended).

Marmot

Postby Marmot » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:18 am

youpiiz wrote:live with me <3

Unfortunately for you, I only shave once a day.

youpiiz

Postby youpiiz » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:32 am

Last edited by youpiiz on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

huckabees

Postby huckabees » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:10 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:So I posted this on the current student's board, but wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts.

I grew up in NYC and have lived here for 2 years following college. I'm still finishing up my cycle, but chances are I will end up at either NYU or Columbia, so I've started thinking about living arrangements.

Basically, I can enter the school housing draw, get university housing (which is fine, but not great at both places) and live with other law students, or I can get a place with some of my (non-law school) friends elsewhere in the city.

I've heard two perspectives. One says living with law students gives you a support network of people who know what law school is like, and allows you to form bonds with your classmates. Another says living with law students will stress you out unnecessarily, and turn you into someone who talks about nothing except for law school since it pervades all aspects of your existence and the only people you hang out with are other law students

A couple of things to keep in mind:

--I want to meet and make friends with my classmates, but I also want to maintain a life outside of law school and keep up my non-law school friendships. I consider myself fairly social and feel I would be able to do both, but I realize either choice would entail compromises on one end or the other.

--I'm pretty confident I could find cheaper, better housing off-campus than what NYU and Columbia offer, but this would likely entail living 15-20 minutes away by subway, rather than a 5 minute walk.

Would appreciate any thoughts you guys have on this.

I am in the same boat as well.

I am seriously considering the off-campus housing and commute thing, if not just for the savings. I don't think it'd bother me too much to live with a "working professional," as I am currently one of those and they actually work pretty hard! (though business has been slow recently).

I doubt that as a law school student, I'd work any harder than some of my co-workers now, and I'd feel slightly more comfortable living with someone closer to my age than someone fresh out of undergrad.

I think you can keep up friendships at the law school by joining study groups. I've been trying to get more info on those because I do feel like I'd miss out on some study sessions by living further away from campus...

Does anyone know? I think study groups/bar review would be fun, but I also don't feel the need to surround myself with only law school people on a daily basis...

Thanks!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”