WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mizzoual
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:22 am

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby mizzoual » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:02 pm

I'm not going to draw a line that says where it's safe and where it isn't because such a line doesn't exist. The reality is that neighborhoods close to horribly impoverished and crime-ridden areas are more convenient for criminals. I wouldn't argue that St. Louis is a more violent metropolitan area or urban area that any lots of other large cities. Some of the neighborhoods people mention are just a little too close to the bad parts of town for my taste.

I think CWE is fine if you have a car and a secured parking spot. The Loop is fine but you will put up with more noise and crime than in Clayton.

Are the majority of people going to the housing days? I was planning on going to the earlier one since I'm pretty picky about where I'll live.

VAGATOR
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby VAGATOR » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:47 pm

mizzoual wrote:I'm not going to draw a line that says where it's safe and where it isn't because such a line doesn't exist. The reality is that neighborhoods close to horribly impoverished and crime-ridden areas are more convenient for criminals. I wouldn't argue that St. Louis is a more violent metropolitan area or urban area that any lots of other large cities. Some of the neighborhoods people mention are just a little too close to the bad parts of town for my taste.

I think CWE is fine if you have a car and a secured parking spot. The Loop is fine but you will put up with more noise and crime than in Clayton.

Are the majority of people going to the housing days? I was planning on going to the earlier one since I'm pretty picky about where I'll live.


Personally, I'm moving to St. Louis a tad early(Late June/Early July) to get used to the place, so I'm skipping housing days. I pretty much know where I want to live(Clayton or Central West End) and I'm going to fly in early and find a place on my own.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby superflush » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:10 pm

hwmyones wrote:
Lxw wrote:Totally random off the cuff question, but how's the gym over there?


It's terrible.


+1. I checked it out when I visited. It is mind-boggling how such a well-regarded school has the worst college gym I've ever seen.

User avatar
hwmyones
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:15 am

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby hwmyones » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:51 am

superflush wrote:
hwmyones wrote:
Lxw wrote:Totally random off the cuff question, but how's the gym over there?


It's terrible.


+1. I checked it out when I visited. It is mind-boggling how such a well-regarded school has the worst college gym I've ever seen.


There are only three non Division I schools in the top 20 (NYU, Chicago, and WUSTL). Chicago JUST build a new athletic center this decade so it's really nice. And I think NYU has a nice place, but that's to be expected because it's in the heart of the Village in NYC. Wash U spend a lot more time and money on academics than athletics (and yet has somehow still won two straight Division III basketball national championships). Honestly, there is a plethora of gyms in the different neighborhoods surrounding campus and they are not very expensive. There are a few 24 hours places too.

VAGATOR
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby VAGATOR » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:09 pm

hwmyones wrote:
superflush wrote:
hwmyones wrote:
Lxw wrote:Totally random off the cuff question, but how's the gym over there?


It's terrible.


+1. I checked it out when I visited. It is mind-boggling how such a well-regarded school has the worst college gym I've ever seen.


There are only three non Division I schools in the top 20 (NYU, Chicago, and WUSTL). Chicago JUST build a new athletic center this decade so it's really nice. And I think NYU has a nice place, but that's to be expected because it's in the heart of the Village in NYC. Wash U spend a lot more time and money on academics than athletics (and yet has somehow still won two straight Division III basketball national championships). Honestly, there is a plethora of gyms in the different neighborhoods surrounding campus and they are not very expensive. There are a few 24 hours places too.


Talking about gyms/athletics, are intramural sports big at Wash U? It was real big at my undergrad(UF) and some Law Schools I was interested in, and I play sports to stay in shape. Judging from the gym, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't, which would be a shame.

User avatar
hwmyones
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:15 am

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby hwmyones » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:56 am

VAGATOR wrote:
Talking about gyms/athletics, are intramural sports big at Wash U? It was real big at my undergrad(UF) and some Law Schools I was interested in, and I play sports to stay in shape. Judging from the gym, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't, which would be a shame.


They were huge at Carolina too. Almost everyone plays flag football in the fall and softball in the spring. I think there's basketball too. No soccer though, kind of sucks.

User avatar
senegalese_filmmaker
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:23 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby senegalese_filmmaker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:36 am

VAGATOR wrote:
hwmyones wrote:
superflush wrote:
hwmyones wrote:
Talking about gyms/athletics, are intramural sports big at Wash U? It was real big at my undergrad(UF) and some Law Schools I was interested in, and I play sports to stay in shape. Judging from the gym, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't, which would be a shame.


It would REALLY suck if they didn't have intramural sports. I'll see if google search or browsing their website turns up anything. So how bad is the gym? I would much prefer to work out at school than at a neighborhood joint.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:50 am

senegalese_filmmaker wrote:It would REALLY suck if they didn't have intramural sports. I'll see if google search or browsing their website turns up anything. So how bad is the gym? I would much prefer to work out at school than at a neighborhood joint.

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
IceAero
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:00 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby IceAero » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:32 am

Well they have racquetball courts, so I'll survive. 8)

VAGATOR
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby VAGATOR » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:14 pm

hwmyones wrote:
VAGATOR wrote:
Talking about gyms/athletics, are intramural sports big at Wash U? It was real big at my undergrad(UF) and some Law Schools I was interested in, and I play sports to stay in shape. Judging from the gym, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't, which would be a shame.


They were huge at Carolina too. Almost everyone plays flag football in the fall and softball in the spring. I think there's basketball too. No soccer though, kind of sucks.


Thanks again for the info. I'm glad to see people play intramurals. I'm more of a basketball guy, maybe I will have to start my own team. :lol:
Any other members of the Class of '12 chime in, I'm trying to get some conversations going.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:26 pm

+1 for intramurals. personally i just started getting into rock climbing and I can't wait to try out the rock climbing gym near Union (?) station.

User avatar
gk101
Posts: 3691
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby gk101 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:27 pm

+1 for basketball

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:30 pm

gk101 wrote:+1 for basketball

you tall people and your basketballs :(

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby superflush » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:22 pm

senegalese_filmmaker wrote:It would REALLY suck if they didn't have intramural sports. I'll see if google search or browsing their website turns up anything. So how bad is the gym? I would much prefer to work out at school than at a neighborhood joint.


The gym is absolutely horrible. I visited it, and it is looks like its a couple of centuries old.
Here's the website: http://www.restech.wustl.edu/~webath/mcwilliams.html
The weights are in the very basement of the building, and its about akin to the weight room in my public high school

steindle
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby steindle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:30 pm

I'm just glad that they have squash courts. I feel like I'm in the minority here, but the gym is not really what I'm paying for or looking forward to in a law school.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby superflush » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:36 pm

steindle wrote:I'm just glad that they have squash courts. I feel like I'm in the minority here, but the gym is not really what I'm paying for or looking forward to in a law school.


but squash courts are?

steindle
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby steindle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:43 pm

superflush wrote:
steindle wrote:I'm just glad that they have squash courts. I feel like I'm in the minority here, but the gym is not really what I'm paying for or looking forward to in a law school.


but squash courts are?


I don't think there is anything in my post that indicates the presence of squash courts as a factor in my school decision. It's an added benefit. The gym could consist of an Ab Roller and those triangular weights that were used in the 19th century as far as I'm concerned.

User avatar
gk101
Posts: 3691
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby gk101 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:19 pm

a good quality gym would be nice to unwind and get away from the stress of law school. I can live with a game of pick-up basketball though.

VAGATOR
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby VAGATOR » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:39 pm

gk101 wrote:a good quality gym would be nice to unwind and get away from the stress of law school. I can live with a game of pick-up basketball though.


Bingo, the President himself likes a good pick game from time to time. Physical health is just as important as mental health. Would I turned down Wash U because of the gym situation, of course not, but a nice facility would of been a nice perk and expense saver.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby superflush » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:11 am

steindle wrote:I don't think there is anything in my post that indicates the presence of squash courts as a factor in my school decision. It's an added benefit.


Yea, I know.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby superflush » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:12 am

gk101 wrote:a good quality gym would be nice to unwind and get away from the stress of law school.


TITCR. I think it says a lot about the school that the fitness facilities are nowhere near as good as any other school with similar rankings.

User avatar
gk101
Posts: 3691
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby gk101 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:33 am

superflush wrote:
gk101 wrote:a good quality gym would be nice to unwind and get away from the stress of law school.


TITCR. I think it says a lot about the school that the fitness facilities are nowhere near as good as any other school with similar rankings.


I won't go that far.

mizzoual
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:22 am

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby mizzoual » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:37 am

If you want a nice athletic complex, you end up paying for it. Every full time student at Mizzou has to pay fees ($158 per semester) to the rec center here. It is new and awesome, but also expensive. Living off campus, I'd rather choose someplace close to me.

Does anyone know if there is an included or optional fee for the use of Wash U's athletic facilities? Are we entitled to use the facility without cost as law students?

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby superflush » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:13 am

mizzoual wrote:Does anyone know if there is an included or optional fee for the use of Wash U's athletic facilities? Are we entitled to use the facility without cost as law students?


I'm pretty sure.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:34 am

superflush wrote:
mizzoual wrote:Does anyone know if there is an included or optional fee for the use of Wash U's athletic facilities? Are we entitled to use the facility without cost as law students?

I'm pretty sure.

It seems to be fee based: http://www.restech.wustl.edu/~webath/mcwilliams.html (Click on the "How much does it cost?")




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests