WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jdn012
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby jdn012 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:20 am

animalcrkrs wrote:
steindle wrote:My decision here is really coming down to the wire. I sent an email at the beginning of last week asking to negotiate my scholarship (I have received twice as much $$ from peer schools), but have not received anything even acknowledging that my emails have been received, which is worrisome. I suppose I should call the school today to confirm, but I don't want to appear to be "nagging." It just seems strange that several students on this forum with almost identical numbers sent their scholarship requests at the same time or after me and have already received increased offers?

Also, re: the facilities...Yeah. There is virtually no comparison between WUSTL's building(s) and the facilities of other schools I've toured. AB Hall makes them look like janitor's closets pretty much across the board.


You are not alone on this, I sent an email the day I received my scholly $$ in mid March and heard zilch, called last week to someone in finaid and she said I did email the right person so I emailed again politely....I will be calling later this week if I don't get a response.
I don't want to be naggy either, but the $$ is a big part of my decision, and another peer school already upped their offer for me so I feel like it's game on at this point! ;)


While I will not be joining you guys this fall, I just withdrew - along with my $111,000 scholarship (that was painful). Hopefully, that money will go to you guys! Good luck!!

Lawrence
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:05 am

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby Lawrence » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:24 am

jdn012 wrote:
animalcrkrs wrote:
steindle wrote:My decision here is really coming down to the wire. I sent an email at the beginning of last week asking to negotiate my scholarship (I have received twice as much $$ from peer schools), but have not received anything even acknowledging that my emails have been received, which is worrisome. I suppose I should call the school today to confirm, but I don't want to appear to be "nagging." It just seems strange that several students on this forum with almost identical numbers sent their scholarship requests at the same time or after me and have already received increased offers?

Also, re: the facilities...Yeah. There is virtually no comparison between WUSTL's building(s) and the facilities of other schools I've toured. AB Hall makes them look like janitor's closets pretty much across the board.


You are not alone on this, I sent an email the day I received my scholly $$ in mid March and heard zilch, called last week to someone in finaid and she said I did email the right person so I emailed again politely....I will be calling later this week if I don't get a response.
I don't want to be naggy either, but the $$ is a big part of my decision, and another peer school already upped their offer for me so I feel like it's game on at this point! ;)


While I will not be joining you guys this fall, I just withdrew - along with my $111,000 scholarship (that was painful). Hopefully, that money will go to you guys! Good luck!!


Thanks! I'd be more than happy to take a couple thousand out of that.

RAFisher
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby RAFisher » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:51 pm

I will be sending in my deposit tomorrow! I have been trying to negotiate a raise in my scholarship offer and I'm feeling less hopeful now that my hand will be played with the early deposit deadline. I won't be submitting multiple deposits, so they really have no reason after April 1st to offer more. Weak...

User avatar
gk101
Posts: 3692
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby gk101 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:04 pm

RAFisher wrote:I will be sending in my deposit tomorrow! I have been trying to negotiate a raise in my scholarship offer and I'm feeling less hopeful now that my hand will be played with the early deposit deadline. I won't be submitting multiple deposits, so they really have no reason after April 1st to offer more. Weak...


they sort of still have a motivation to offer you more cash. Their seat deposit is completely refundable till May 1. If you get any larger scholarships in the meantime, you can negotiate for more money

steindle
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby steindle » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:49 am

Ugh, I don't know what to do. I have a significantly higher (almost $10k more) offer from UMN, which is comparable in terms of placement, etc...And yet I fundamentally prefer WUSTL. But when it comes down to it, that's $30k less over 3 years, plus the potential benefits of gaining Minnesota residency, which could save another $10-20k.

$50k in savings might be too much to pass up. Last week I emailed both the Admissions Office and Financial Aid re: negotiating a scholarship, but neither has even acknowledged my emails yet. I may just have to settle for UMN at this rate.

User avatar
ivesetsail
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:23 am

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby ivesetsail » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:28 am

steindle wrote:Ugh, I don't know what to do. I have a significantly higher (almost $10k more) offer from UMN, which is comparable in terms of placement, etc...And yet I fundamentally prefer WUSTL. But when it comes down to it, that's $30k less over 3 years, plus the potential benefits of gaining Minnesota residency, which could save another $10-20k.

$50k in savings might be too much to pass up. Last week I emailed both the Admissions Office and Financial Aid re: negotiating a scholarship, but neither has even acknowledged my emails yet. I may just have to settle for UMN at this rate.


FYI - It's nearly impossible to gain residency in MN for school...

If WUSTL is really where you want to go, hopefully the negotiation works out for you!

Keep in mind that these comments are coming from someone on the UMN waitlist :D

User avatar
gk101
Posts: 3692
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby gk101 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:32 pm

sent in my seat deposit today :D

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:51 pm

.
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

steindle
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby steindle » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:22 pm

There technically is a group already, though there is only one member, so it seems a bit suspicious to me.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?sid=3ead19090b0c9bd637cbdec177da68cb&gid=59973924249

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:41 pm

,
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

steindle
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby steindle » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:55 pm

Clayton is the suburb that is immediately west of campus...I think part of WashU's campus might even technically be within Clayton? Maybe not.

Only a very small part of the campus is actually technically within the City of St. Louis, actually. The majority of the Danforth Campus is in St. Louis County, which is actually distinct from the City. And to make matters more confusing ,it is in an "Unincorporated Section" of the County, so it is technically not in any one town in particular. Here's an explanation from Wikipedia:

It is notable that in St. Louis County, one-third of its population and land area is unincorporated making up 173 square miles. In these areas, St. Louis County provides local services, such as zoning, code enforcement and police to these residents who do not reside in one of the 91 St. Louis County munipalities. These municipal-like services are available to the 322,085 residents of the unincorporated areas of St. Louis County. These local services are delivered to several areas throughout the West, Central, North and South portions of the county. The St. Louis County Trash Collection and Recycling program is one example of such a service. This program split the unincorporated areas into 8 districts for trash collection and recycling service. Prior to the program, citizens in unincorporated St. Louis County were responsible for contracting their own trash hauling providers.


Thankfully none of this is actually relevant. Oh, except that, yeah...to say it's in Clayton is probably a stretch.

blakeb23
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby blakeb23 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:07 pm

Count me in. Just called Vandy today to tell them I would not be attending. After all the times they went out of their way to communicate with me....talk about a PAINFUL phone call :shock:

I'm thrilled about WUSTL though! :D

steindle
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby steindle » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:28 pm

Okay, deposit's in! That was a heart-wrenching decision between Minnesota and WUSTL, but in the end WashU won out. Looking forward to meeting everyone in a few months.

User avatar
gk101
Posts: 3692
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby gk101 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:31 pm

welcome to the new members!

also, I need to start my apartment hunt soon

bebe09
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:52 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby bebe09 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:54 pm

Hey guys! I'm new to the site and will also be a member of the class of 2012. I went to ASW last week and loved it. Are most of you guys staying alone or do you plan on doing the summer housing day activities and trying to find a roommate?

bebe09
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:52 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby bebe09 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:56 pm

Also....while I was there one of the admissions people encouraged us to create a facebook group since there wasn't one yet. I'm pretty sure that's what this guy made on facebook, so everyone should def join.

User avatar
gk101
Posts: 3692
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby gk101 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:06 am

welcome to TLS! I will probably join the fb group soon. As for roommates, I am planning to live alone next year, but may change my mind depending on the apartments I can find. I need to get started on this soon.

User avatar
LabRat
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby LabRat » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:45 pm

Welcome to WUSTL everyone!

-LR (current WUSTL 1L)

Edit: If you have questions about the school/area, I'll try to answer. There may be a bit of a delay though since exam time is now upon us!

User avatar
hwmyones
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:15 am

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby hwmyones » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:55 am

Congrats to all of you guys.

I'm a current 1L as well. So any questions/concerns you have please shoot me a PM or whatever. See you in August.

VAGATOR
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby VAGATOR » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:11 pm

Sent my deposit in a few days ago, and can't wait to get to St. Louis. Quick question for the 1Ls. Most students I talked to at ASD said they lived in Clayton and the Central West End. Few said University City. I would like your quick opinion on housing, and you think this is an accurate representation. I'm leaning more towards a house or townhouse.

User avatar
hwmyones
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:15 am

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby hwmyones » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:10 pm

VAGATOR wrote:Sent my deposit in a few days ago, and can't wait to get to St. Louis. Quick question for the 1Ls. Most students I talked to at ASD said they lived in Clayton and the Central West End. Few said University City. I would like your quick opinion on housing, and you think this is an accurate representation. I'm leaning more towards a house or townhouse.


Basically, if you have a car, don't live right in U-City because there are much nicer places in the CWE and Midtown and Dogtown and the Hill and many other neighborhoods. If you do NOT have a car, you're probably best off in U-City because you're walking distance to school (although it's still a painful walk in the bitter winter cold). Your best bet for finding a house will probably be in the Skinker-DeBaliviere neighborhood. Technically, that's just east of school, above the park, and between school and the Central West End. There are a lot of really large expensive houses in there,but a few blocks North of that there are definitely a good amount of affordable houses to rent (although you'd need to find 2-3 roommates ahead of time for that). As a 1L I'd say your best bet is probably to live somewhere that gives you the lease stress and to be honest, having to take care of a house will probably be a bit time consuming. But that's my opinion. (I live in the CWE in a building that has 9 2-bedroom apartments and I'm very happy).

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:17 pm

Totally random off the cuff question, but how's the gym over there?

TheDreamKeeper
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby TheDreamKeeper » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:46 pm

My deposit is in, but I'm still deciding between WUSTL, UNC, and Boston U. Pushing for more money. If I get more, I should be WUSTL bound.

I went to the ASD and enjoyed it.

User avatar
hwmyones
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:15 am

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby hwmyones » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:50 am

Lxw wrote:Totally random off the cuff question, but how's the gym over there?


It's terrible. Well worth it to spend some money each month and go to a nicer gym. There are a few 24-hour gyms in the different areas. Plus, there's a local chain called the Boxing Gym.

VAGATOR
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Postby VAGATOR » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:07 pm

hwmyones wrote:
VAGATOR wrote:Sent my deposit in a few days ago, and can't wait to get to St. Louis. Quick question for the 1Ls. Most students I talked to at ASD said they lived in Clayton and the Central West End. Few said University City. I would like your quick opinion on housing, and you think this is an accurate representation. I'm leaning more towards a house or townhouse.


Basically, if you have a car, don't live right in U-City because there are much nicer places in the CWE and Midtown and Dogtown and the Hill and many other neighborhoods. If you do NOT have a car, you're probably best off in U-City because you're walking distance to school (although it's still a painful walk in the bitter winter cold). Your best bet for finding a house will probably be in the Skinker-DeBaliviere neighborhood. Technically, that's just east of school, above the park, and between school and the Central West End. There are a lot of really large expensive houses in there,but a few blocks North of that there are definitely a good amount of affordable houses to rent (although you'd need to find 2-3 roommates ahead of time for that). As a 1L I'd say your best bet is probably to live somewhere that gives you the lease stress and to be honest, having to take care of a house will probably be a bit time consuming. But that's my opinion. (I live in the CWE in a building that has 9 2-bedroom apartments and I'm very happy).


Thanks for the info. Pretty much confirms my thinking. I have a car, and not really worried about rent cost since I lived inside the Beltway in DC for a while and St. Louis is dirt cheap. University City seemed a little too ratty for me. Apartments really aren't my thing, especially since I have a large dog, and I like to grill.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest