WashU (wustl) Class of 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
steindle

Bronze

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Post by steindle » Mon May 04, 2009 2:08 pm

Does anyone in the know have any idea if there are many duplexes or 4-unit places in the CWE? Ideally that is where my fiance and I would like to live, but we are only finding huge apartment buildings there and we have no interest in that (having done it for years and years and dealing with all manner of problems).

It seems like there's a lot more of what we're looking for in the Loop area, but it also seems like there are a lot more undergrads in the Loop and we're trying to avoid that scene as much as possible.
Last edited by steindle on Wed May 06, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

ksp405 wrote:I called the Financial Aid office with that question early this year, and was told that they do not. That aid is merit based only.

gk101 wrote:Does WUSTL give any need based aid? All I got was the scholarship information on the financial aid letter
Also, I should be in Saint Louis sometime in early June to lock up housing somewhere in CWE.
thanks.

woopwoop

New

Post by woopwoop » Tue May 05, 2009 1:49 pm

Finally withdrew from everywhere else. WUSTL it is.

I'm going to have to lease an apartment without visiting. Loop Lofts looks acceptable enough to me. 2 miles from campus, 800$ for rent, utilities, cable and internet.

Apparently it's in a shady area though? Any thoughts on this?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue May 05, 2009 1:58 pm

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Wed May 06, 2009 12:55 pm

woopwoop wrote:Finally withdrew from everywhere else. WUSTL it is.

I'm going to have to lease an apartment without visiting. Loop Lofts looks acceptable enough to me. 2 miles from campus, 800$ for rent, utilities, cable and internet.

Apparently it's in a shady area though? Any thoughts on this?
No, don't live there. Skinker and Delmar is where the loop roughly ends. As a rule, don't go anywhere north or northeast of there. The building might be nice, but it will be shitty surroundings and crime is more prevalent. If you're set on living in the loop, look for something a little more south and west of there, i.e. directly between Delmar and Forest Park Pkwy/Wash U. If you're not set on the Loop, look in the Central West End, but you will need a car (or there is bus/metro transportation but its not all that convenient). Another area I haven't seen mentioned here is the Demun neighborhood. This is within walking (10-15 min)/easy biking distance of campus. There is not a whole lot to do there (a few restaurants, coffeee shop, wine bar) but it is a very quiet, charming area right across from Forest Park. Just search on Craigslist for Demun, there are a lot of small units available--closer to the intersection of Northwood and Demun will be the heart of that neighborhood. There are also a few larger apartment buildings here--the Dorchester is one, I believe--but they are more expensive iirc. The walk from the Demun neighborood to Wash U. via Wydown Blvd. is quite beautiful when everything is in bloom.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Wed May 06, 2009 1:36 pm

Can anyone tell me what the Quadrangle places are like, in terms of noise? Obviously that's an incredibly open-ended question that varies from building to building and neighbor to neighbor...but as a general rule, do you think they'll be acceptably peaceful?

I'm looking at three different 6-unit places in the Loop and I assume that they will be relatively quiet due to the fact that they are full of graduate students, but I'm a little wary because of previous experiences I've had in similarly small -- but incredibly loud -- apartments. (I'm think here specifically of the place where our downstairs neighbors had keggers and live DJs on Wednesdays, after which you could very clearly hear them throwing up on Thursday...or the guy above us who played the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack at full volume each night, punctuated periodically by the DADADUMMMM of the AIM sound).

Ali

New

Post by Ali » Wed May 06, 2009 1:40 pm

So anyone know how the Housing Day is conducted?
Is is a formal thing? Or do we just go and check out places to live and pay down our rent deposits?

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:42 pm

Ali wrote:So anyone know how the Housing Day is conducted?
Is is a formal thing? Or do we just go and check out places to live and pay down our rent deposits?
I think some of the local property managers come to the housing days and show the apartments around the area. I have heard that these places tend to be more pricey

Ali

New

Post by Ali » Wed May 06, 2009 11:17 pm

So from what I've gathered CWE seems to be better than most other areas.
Anyone have an opinion on DeBalivier Place, just North of Forest Park??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LED1985

New

Post by LED1985 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:33 am

MaiKleenex wrote:Quitting my job July 17th.....can't WAIT.

I was thinking about buying a condo and then flipping it when I graduate (the housing market can only get better, right? Come on Obama!) Anyone consider this?

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Or rather, my parents are. We're going down next week to meet with a realtor, look at some places and scope out campus. My last day of work is going to be sometime that first week of August. Gotta get health insurance for those first 15 days in August before our WashU student insurance starts. :)

I'll try and take pictures of campus when I'm down there for those who still haven't been. Also from the 1L I've been talking to, it seems like CWE is the place to be, but I'll know more after next week.

Excited to meet you all.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Thu May 07, 2009 9:42 am

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

LED1985

New

Post by LED1985 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:21 am

Thanks!

Yeah, my parents made me run about 6 different cash flow scenarios for them. It's all contingent upon me getting a roommate though, and I'm still up in the air about whether or not I want to do that or live alone.

VAGATOR

New

Post by VAGATOR » Thu May 07, 2009 10:52 am

The housing situation is going to take a lot longer than three years to correct itself. If you buy a condo or home, prepare for that purchase to be a long term investment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LED1985

New

Post by LED1985 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:04 am

Yeah. Definitely true. I think all we're hoping is that the price doesn't go down; then we've just built equity instead of paying rent. Plus, I'm actually planning on doing the JD/MBA program, so I'll be down there for 4 years instead of 3, hopefully that's 1 more year of appreciation. :)

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Thu May 07, 2009 2:39 pm

Like many "rustbelt" towns, the St. Louis housing market never really blew completely out of proportion in the same way that Phoenix or the entire state of Florida did. According to at least one reputable source...

--LinkRemoved--

...housing in St. Louis is a LOW risk. Not quite as low as my lovely hometown of Pittsburgh, where housing has actually been APPRECIATING during the downturn...but there has to be at least one bright spot in a city that is generally used as the butt of jokes, right?

MaiKleenex

New

Post by MaiKleenex » Fri May 08, 2009 8:40 am

In the condo idea I think I was hoping rather to "equalize" (i.e. not lose 30k in rent over three years, but rather have a net of zero).

Has anyone else thought about the benefits of living alone or with roommates? Living alone seems attractive from a studying perspective, but not so much from a social one. Any 1Ls (or 0Ls like me!) want to weigh in?

ksp405

New

Post by ksp405 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:44 am

Definitely going to live alone. At least the first year. For me, the potential negatives of living alone are a lot less than those that can occur from living with a roommate. It's not worth the risk. I also like having the option of some silence and privacy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ksp405

New

Post by ksp405 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:55 am

No offense to all of you haha

MaiKleenex

New

Post by MaiKleenex » Fri May 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Yeah, agreed. I'm sure I'll spend time enough with my classmates in the law library...

MaiKleenex

New

Post by MaiKleenex » Fri May 08, 2009 1:36 pm

law library is only open until 6pm?!?!!??

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Fri May 08, 2009 2:10 pm

MaiKleenex wrote:law library is only open until 6pm?!?!!??
No.

http://law.wustl.edu/library/index.asp?id=1125

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LabRat

New

Post by LabRat » Fri May 08, 2009 3:12 pm

steindle wrote:Like many "rustbelt" towns, the St. Louis housing market never really blew completely out of proportion in the same way that Phoenix or the entire state of Florida did. According to at least one reputable source...

--LinkRemoved--

...housing in St. Louis is a LOW risk. Not quite as low as my lovely hometown of Pittsburgh, where housing has actually been APPRECIATING during the downturn...but there has to be at least one bright spot in a city that is generally used as the butt of jokes, right?
I purchased my house last summer when I came to Wash U. I think buying can be a good decision given the market here, but try not to get anything that is too much of a fixer. You will not have the time to deal with it during your 1L year. I just hung the ceiling fans I bought last august. :oops:

MaiKleenex

New

Post by MaiKleenex » Fri May 08, 2009 11:07 pm

MaiKleenex wrote:
law library is only open until 6pm?!?!!??

No.

http://law.wustl.edu/library/index.asp?id=1125

my inability to read is going to be REALLY helpful in law school.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Fri May 08, 2009 11:55 pm

MaiKleenex wrote:my inability to read is going to be REALLY helpful in law school.
I think you'll be fine as long as 1) steindle tips you and 2) you keep your sanity :)

onfo

New

Post by onfo » Sat May 09, 2009 10:41 am

Ali wrote:So from what I've gathered CWE seems to be better than most other areas.
Anyone have an opinion on DeBalivier Place, just North of Forest Park??
Eh. Depends on your motives. I think that area is less expensive than the heart of CWE (around Euclid); however, it really isn't walkable to any place. The main drive for me living in the cwe was to avoid driving any place other than to/from school (which I do). There are a enough bars, restaurants, cafes, and other law students around to not really have to leave the cwe on the weekend. That said, there are a couple law students who live around there and seem to enjoy it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”