Scholarship Deadlines? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
WhiteFeather

New

Scholarship Deadlines?

Post by WhiteFeather » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi all,

My admissions letter included an offer of $15,000 renewable and first year books. It also included an RSVP which had two checkboxes on it which read (paraphrasing):

Yes, I intend to attend the school in the fall and accept the scholarship and first year books.

or

No, I don't intend to attend. Give the scholarship to somebody else

Additionally, the letter is supposed to be returned by April 1st or they will give the scholarship to someone else. I haven't even seen the campus yet and would like to wait on a couple other offers.

Is it considered "binding" to send in my seat deposit and "accept" the scholarship by indicating that, yes, I intend to attend the school in the fall?

Is it ethical to accept the scholarship, pay the seat deposit, and indicate that I will attend (for now), even though I may change my mind if I get a better offer later?

Thanks!!!

kurla88

Bronze

Re: Scholarship Deadlines?

Post by kurla88 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:35 pm

Explain your situation to the school and ask for an extension. I'm pretty sure signing the thing is considered binding.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:07 am

yep...the absolute worst part about those GULC scholly's are the binding acceptance requirement. sigh.

WhiteFeather

New

Post by WhiteFeather » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:16 am

Haha... you think I could explain that I want to wait to see if I can get a better offer from someone else?

I'm impressed!

On what basis might I justify such a thing?

WhiteFeather

New

Post by WhiteFeather » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:31 am

summertimechi,

There appears to be quite a story behind that "sigh". What happened, were you put in a position where you had to choose before all the replies were in?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”