Scholarship Deadlines?

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
WhiteFeather

Scholarship Deadlines?

Postby WhiteFeather » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi all,

My admissions letter included an offer of $15,000 renewable and first year books. It also included an RSVP which had two checkboxes on it which read (paraphrasing):

Yes, I intend to attend the school in the fall and accept the scholarship and first year books.

or

No, I don't intend to attend. Give the scholarship to somebody else

Additionally, the letter is supposed to be returned by April 1st or they will give the scholarship to someone else. I haven't even seen the campus yet and would like to wait on a couple other offers.

Is it considered "binding" to send in my seat deposit and "accept" the scholarship by indicating that, yes, I intend to attend the school in the fall?

Is it ethical to accept the scholarship, pay the seat deposit, and indicate that I will attend (for now), even though I may change my mind if I get a better offer later?

Thanks!!!

kurla88

Re: Scholarship Deadlines?

Postby kurla88 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:35 pm

Explain your situation to the school and ask for an extension. I'm pretty sure signing the thing is considered binding.

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:07 am

yep...the absolute worst part about those GULC scholly's are the binding acceptance requirement. sigh.

WhiteFeather

Postby WhiteFeather » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:16 am

Haha... you think I could explain that I want to wait to see if I can get a better offer from someone else?

I'm impressed!

On what basis might I justify such a thing?

WhiteFeather

Postby WhiteFeather » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:31 am

summertimechi,

There appears to be quite a story behind that "sigh". What happened, were you put in a position where you had to choose before all the replies were in?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”