Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
MoMoney
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:41 pm

Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby MoMoney » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:27 pm

Who else is going to Fordham PT this fall?

geoanthem
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:32 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby geoanthem » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Very likely, on the waitlist at BC and still waiting for BU. But would probably go to fordham over most of my other outstanding applications.

lsat 2008
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby lsat 2008 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:34 am

I will be joining you, Momoney

User avatar
MoMoney
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby MoMoney » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:52 pm

lsat 2008 wrote:I will be joining you, Momoney


Cool.

I'm curious about the number of people who have full time jobs vs. full-time transfer hopefulls. The only reason that interests me is that when I went to the admitted students day, everyone I talked to about the part-time program made it sound like it was the norm to want to transfer to full time after the first year. The one part-time student that was there was practically ashamed of the fact that he was part-time and didn't want to talk about it to anyone. While I have no problems with anyone who plans/wants to transfer, the thought of a classroom full of people who hate the fact that they're there bothers me.

geoanthem
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:32 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby geoanthem » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:54 pm

I have no problem being in the evening program, I think it could even allow for me to do better 1L. That being said, I still intend to transfer to the day division for 2L. I would rather graduate in 3 years as opposed to 4. But I am not ashamed to be in the evening division.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby Bankhead » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:19 pm

I'll most likely be joining you. Still waiting on a few schools, but Fordham PT is my number one acceptance at this point.

Are y'all going to the ASD on 3/28? That is too bad to hear about the PT'er feeling uncomfortable at the previous ASD.

geoanthem
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:32 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby geoanthem » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:25 pm

nitsudrx wrote:I'll most likely be joining you. Still waiting on a few schools, but Fordham PT is my number one acceptance at this point.

Are y'all going to the ASD on 3/28? That is too bad to hear about the PT'er feeling uncomfortable at the previous ASD.

I might attend since I live in the city. nitsudrx are you planning on transferring FT? Also are you going to be working while attending?

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby Bankhead » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:27 pm

geoanthem wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:I'll most likely be joining you. Still waiting on a few schools, but Fordham PT is my number one acceptance at this point.

Are y'all going to the ASD on 3/28? That is too bad to hear about the PT'er feeling uncomfortable at the previous ASD.

I might attend since I live in the city. nitsudrx are you planning on transferring FT? Also are you going to be working while attending?


I plan on transferring for 2L. Most likely will not be working at all. I figure most people in PT do not work and just treat it like FT, therefore I would be at a disadvantage if I worked.
Last edited by Bankhead on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geoanthem
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:32 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby geoanthem » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:28 pm

nitsudrx wrote:
geoanthem wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:I'll most likely be joining you. Still waiting on a few schools, but Fordham PT is my number one acceptance at this point.

Are y'all going to the ASD on 3/28? That is too bad to hear about the PT'er feeling uncomfortable at the previous ASD.

I might attend since I live in the city. nitsudrx are you planning on transferring FT? Also are you going to be working while attending?


I plan on transferring for 2L. Most likely will not be working at all.

Seems like we will be on a similar track. PM me if you want to discuss Fordham further. Do you live in the city currently?

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby Bankhead » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:29 pm

geoanthem wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:
geoanthem wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:I'll most likely be joining you. Still waiting on a few schools, but Fordham PT is my number one acceptance at this point.

Are y'all going to the ASD on 3/28? That is too bad to hear about the PT'er feeling uncomfortable at the previous ASD.

I might attend since I live in the city. nitsudrx are you planning on transferring FT? Also are you going to be working while attending?


I plan on transferring for 2L. Most likely will not be working at all.

Seems like we will be on a similar track. PM me if you want to discuss Fordham further. Do you live in the city currently?


I live in DC now and because of that I'm still hoping for GW PT actually... but it's not looking promising.

Where do you plan on living in NYC while you attend Fordham?

geoanthem
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:32 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby geoanthem » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:34 pm

I was dinged at gw (only applied ft) and waiting on gtown pt (but thats not likely at all). depends on what happens with BU and the BC waitlist.

jrock12
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby jrock12 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:36 pm

looks like i'm the odd man out...i will be working full time, while going to class at night...i have a full time job in finance where i making a substantial amount of $, so i'm not really willing to give that up right now, despite my current dislike for the financial markets

my plan is to go to school while working for as long as possible...if it ends up being too much, i'll probably quit my job sometime after first semester of 1L

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby Bankhead » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:37 pm

jrock12 wrote:looks like i'm the odd man out...i will be working full time, while going to class at night...i have a full time job in finance where i making a substantial amount of $, so i'm not really willing to give that up right now, despite my current dislike for the financial markets

my plan is to go to school while working for as long as possible...if it ends up being too much, i'll probably quit my job sometime after first semester of 1L


That's cool jrock. Sounds like a good thing you have going. Working at an IP firm, I know plenty of people who have successfully managed FT work and PT law school.

geoanthem
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:32 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby geoanthem » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:39 pm

jrock12 wrote:looks like i'm the odd man out...i will be working full time, while going to class at night...i have a full time job in finance where i making a substantial amount of $, so i'm not really willing to give that up right now, despite my current dislike for the financial markets

my plan is to go to school while working for as long as possible...if it ends up being too much, i'll probably quit my job sometime after first semester of 1L

Very commendable. I lost my job because it was too expensive for the company to stay in the manhattan. So unless I find an awesome job, I will probably just switch to FT after 1L.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby Bankhead » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:41 pm

geoanthem wrote:
jrock12 wrote:looks like i'm the odd man out...i will be working full time, while going to class at night...i have a full time job in finance where i making a substantial amount of $, so i'm not really willing to give that up right now, despite my current dislike for the financial markets

my plan is to go to school while working for as long as possible...if it ends up being too much, i'll probably quit my job sometime after first semester of 1L

Very commendable. I lost my job because it was too expensive for the company to stay in the manhattan. So unless I find an awesome job, I will probably just switch to FT after 1L.


I'm just worried that going PT and not working will be looked down upon by employers...

"hey it's not my fault my LSAT was 2 points lower than the FT median!" :wink:

geoanthem
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:32 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby geoanthem » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:45 pm

nitsudrx wrote:
geoanthem wrote:
jrock12 wrote:looks like i'm the odd man out...i will be working full time, while going to class at night...i have a full time job in finance where i making a substantial amount of $, so i'm not really willing to give that up right now, despite my current dislike for the financial markets

my plan is to go to school while working for as long as possible...if it ends up being too much, i'll probably quit my job sometime after first semester of 1L

Very commendable. I lost my job because it was too expensive for the company to stay in the manhattan. So unless I find an awesome job, I will probably just switch to FT after 1L.


I'm just worried that going PT and not working will be looked down upon by employers...

That has been a worry of mine too. Though most people I have talked to with knowledge of it said it really doesn't matter as long as you do well. There are many reasons I feel why you may end up transferring from PT to FT. Like in my situation I wanted the flexibility of having the option of attending a school where I could keep my job to supplement my income. But when I lost my job all that changed. I would bet if you explained your situation to potential employees they would understand. I would like to find more information on this though.

jrock12
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby jrock12 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:51 pm

i'll tell you guys, i dont really buy that whole "employers will look down on you bc you were in p/t program thing"...i cant say i've talked to many people about it, or have proof of anything, but i simply dont buy it...if it was that much of a disadvantage or looked down upon as much as some people want to make it out to be, great schools like fordham, gulc, gw wouldnt offer these types of programs

like you said there are several reasons why anyone would start off in the p/t program, not simply a back door into a better school...to be honest, i'm really pretty sick of the stigma associated with beginning school in a p/t program (esp. on this forum)....in the end your diploma will say "Fordham University School of Law", with no asterick noting your beginning in a p/t program

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby Bankhead » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:21 pm

jrock12 wrote:i'll tell you guys, i dont really buy that whole "employers will look down on you bc you were in p/t program thing"...i cant say i've talked to many people about it, or have proof of anything, but i simply dont buy it...if it was that much of a disadvantage or looked down upon as much as some people want to make it out to be, great schools like fordham, gulc, gw wouldnt offer these types of programs

like you said there are several reasons why anyone would start off in the p/t program, not simply a back door into a better school...to be honest, i'm really pretty sick of the stigma associated with beginning school in a p/t program (esp. on this forum)....in the end your diploma will say "Fordham University School of Law", with no asterick noting your beginning in a p/t program


Well said jrock. And especially with this recession, geoanthem, I think employers will understand not having a job. Although the PT stigma is a concern of mine, I agree with you both. If I were truly, truly worried I wouldn't be so heavily considering Fordham PT.

geoanthem
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:32 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby geoanthem » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:24 pm

nitsudrx wrote:
jrock12 wrote:i'll tell you guys, i dont really buy that whole "employers will look down on you bc you were in p/t program thing"...i cant say i've talked to many people about it, or have proof of anything, but i simply dont buy it...if it was that much of a disadvantage or looked down upon as much as some people want to make it out to be, great schools like fordham, gulc, gw wouldnt offer these types of programs

like you said there are several reasons why anyone would start off in the p/t program, not simply a back door into a better school...to be honest, i'm really pretty sick of the stigma associated with beginning school in a p/t program (esp. on this forum)....in the end your diploma will say "Fordham University School of Law", with no asterick noting your beginning in a p/t program


Well said jrock. And especially with this recession, geoanthem, I think employers will understand not having a job. Although the PT stigma is a concern of mine, I agree with you both. If I were truly, truly worried I wouldn't be so heavily considering Fordham PT.

I have a question. If you are a 2L and transferred into the FT division, do potential employers even see that you were in PT before?

User avatar
MoMoney
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby MoMoney » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:30 pm

jrock12 wrote:looks like i'm the odd man out...i will be working full time, while going to class at night...i have a full time job in finance where i making a substantial amount of $, so i'm not really willing to give that up right now, despite my current dislike for the financial markets

my plan is to go to school while working for as long as possible...if it ends up being too much, i'll probably quit my job sometime after first semester of 1L


I'm with you. I have a full time job and I intend on keeping it and going to class at night. I'm going to give it a year at least before thinking about quitting. I have been told that 2L, 3L and 4L demand less time than 1L. Also, I plan on taking a class or two every summer to lighten my load during the rest of the year.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby Bankhead » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:54 pm

geoanthem wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:
jrock12 wrote:i'll tell you guys, i dont really buy that whole "employers will look down on you bc you were in p/t program thing"...i cant say i've talked to many people about it, or have proof of anything, but i simply dont buy it...if it was that much of a disadvantage or looked down upon as much as some people want to make it out to be, great schools like fordham, gulc, gw wouldnt offer these types of programs

like you said there are several reasons why anyone would start off in the p/t program, not simply a back door into a better school...to be honest, i'm really pretty sick of the stigma associated with beginning school in a p/t program (esp. on this forum)....in the end your diploma will say "Fordham University School of Law", with no asterick noting your beginning in a p/t program


Well said jrock. And especially with this recession, geoanthem, I think employers will understand not having a job. Although the PT stigma is a concern of mine, I agree with you both. If I were truly, truly worried I wouldn't be so heavily considering Fordham PT.

I have a question. If you are a 2L and transferred into the FT division, do potential employers even see that you were in PT before?


Hmm... not sure. I'm just speculating, but wouldn't they have access to your entire transcript, thus showing that you took 2 classes in the summer to catch up credit-wise?

geoanthem
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:32 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby geoanthem » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:44 pm

anyone else thinking about fordham pt?

tommy1
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:41 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby tommy1 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:04 pm

I am very interested....
but I hve not heard back from them yet...and my online status just says my application is complete.....but it was completed since beginning of January so I don't knw.
maybe that means they are going to reject me? which sucks cause I really want to attend Fordham.

What do you all think, especially seems like you all got your letters?

User avatar
CorpRaider
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:57 pm

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby CorpRaider » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:12 pm

I will most likely be going. Just weighing my options at this point.

geoanthem
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:32 am

Re: Fordham Part-Time 2009 Entering Class

Postby geoanthem » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:38 pm

tommy1 wrote:I am very interested....
but I hve not heard back from them yet...and my online status just says my application is complete.....but it was completed since beginning of January so I don't knw.
maybe that means they are going to reject me? which sucks cause I really want to attend Fordham.

What do you all think, especially seems like you all got your letters?

What are your stats?




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests