Harvard ASW-W-WHAT!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
treple

Re: Harvard ASW-W-WHAT!

Postby treple » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:07 pm

Looking forward to drinkin with you guys. =)

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Seriously though, how are we all going to find each other? It's T-minus 26 hours--almost GO TIME!

(Sorry, I'm a bit amped)

Objection

Postby Objection » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:34 pm

I'll be the black guy who looks white but you can tell isn't fully white and will probably think is part Hispanic.

I'm getting in late. Flight delayed. Won't be settled in til after 2. Excited though. Who else is at the hyatt?

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:47 pm

Objection wrote:I'll be the black guy who looks white but you can tell isn't fully white and will probably think is part Hispanic.

Lol, what if I'm really bad at telling race? "Hey man, excuse me, are you a black guy who looks white but I can tell isn't fully white and I probably think is part Hispanic?"

Better stick to the Steelers jacket, bud. ;)

I'm trying to think of a way to put "Iago" somewhere on my name tag that doesn't make others think I just escaped from Bed'lam. I'll keep y'all posted. PM me if y'all have any ideas.

pinkflamingo

Postby pinkflamingo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:51 pm

My flight lands tomorrow around noon and I couldn't be more excited!

I am starting to get a little bit nervous though about how much I'll like it. I really hope this weekend lives up to expectations.

Also, thanks to Objection's self-description, I think I'll now be overanalyzing every guy in the room.

jennglebell

Postby jennglebell » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:02 pm

So... I know the clothing thing has already been discussed, but how dressy do you think tomorrow night will be? The word "reception" implies cocktails and hors d'oeuvres and I'm worried jeans won't be appropriate.. :?

pfflyer28

Postby pfflyer28 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:11 pm

I think nice jeans and a sweater or collared shirt will suffice the entire weekend.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:37 pm

Yeah, I agree. They know a lot of people will have just arrived so I don't think they would expect people to come potentially across the country and then get into their suspenders and cummerbund. If worst comes to worst, I feel that, if enough of us are "under dressed," we'll just start a new trend.

BAM!

constellationx

Postby constellationx » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:46 pm

I'm wearing jeans. I'm arriving very soon before the events start so I don't think I'll have time to change.
iagolives wrote:
Objection wrote:I'll be the black guy who looks white but you can tell isn't fully white and will probably think is part Hispanic.

Lol, what if I'm really bad at telling race? "Hey man, excuse me, are you a black guy who looks white but I can tell isn't fully white and I probably think is part Hispanic?"

Better stick to the Steelers jacket, bud. ;)

I'm trying to think of a way to put "Iago" somewhere on my name tag that doesn't make others think I just escaped from Bed'lam. I'll keep y'all posted. PM me if y'all have any ideas.

Lol. The guy's response: "Ummm...no. I'm Chinese."

skeletor

Postby skeletor » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:09 pm

Anybody staying at the Marriott want to head over together before the 4:00 Saturday introduction? I'm hoping to check in early and walk over (it's only two miles) so I can see what Cambridge is like.

borntorun

Postby borntorun » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:11 pm

jennglebell wrote:So... I know the clothing thing has already been discussed, but how dressy do you think tomorrow night will be? The word "reception" implies cocktails and hors d'oeuvres and I'm worried jeans won't be appropriate.. :?

I'll be wearing jeans. Hopefully the HLS bouncers will still let me in.

Objection

Postby Objection » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:38 pm

Bad news: no steelers jacket. I decided to go a little bit more polished and brought my black wool coat instead.

Good news: I am going to wear the exact same jeans and shirt every day. Jk...maybe.

I'm in Dallas now. Should be in Boston around 1230 am and then taxiing to the hyatt and heading straight for the jacuzzi...oh wait it will be closed I bet. Damnit. Any other hyatters getting in tonight?

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:15 pm

Objection wrote:Bad news: no steelers jacket. I decided to go a little bit more polished and brought my black wool coat instead.

Great. There goes that plan. I guess my only plan left is to shout "marco" really loud and see who responds "polo."

Objection wrote:Good news: I am going to wear the exact same jeans and shirt every day. Jk...maybe.

Oh, the life of a shoestring traveler... However, as this is New England and it is cold, you probably won't be removing the coat much. As sad as it is, you might be able to get away with it, man.

conn09

Postby conn09 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:28 pm

Wish I was going. I'll be there in April!!

Objection

Postby Objection » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:39 am

At the hotel. Pissed I have to pay for internet separately. Bastards.

Objection

Postby Objection » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:03 am

I hate this hotel.

- Confusing layout
- Vending machine drinks cost $2.50
- No in-room fridge. Even a tiny mini-fridge would do. No microwave.
- TV is in a shitty location and has to be turned 90 degrees to see it from the bed
- AC rattles
- I know room service isn't cheap, but $12 for a Caesar salad, $6 for Aquafina...ridiculous.
- Internet not included; $10-15/day depending on whether you go "High speed lite" or "High speed super f'ing awesome."
- Crappy location compared to Marriot Cambridge.

Only positives so far are the awesome delivery options open even at this hour and the complimentary shuttle service to Harvard Square.

If I had paid standard rate, I'd be pissed.

I've stayed in $60/night hotels with better amenities.

calkx09

Postby calkx09 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:25 am

Checking in on this thread - up at the crack of dawn to catch my flight. Excited to actually see this place and perhaps to meet some of you! Anyone at the Holiday Inn Express Suites?

excitedutterance

Postby excitedutterance » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:25 am

Objection wrote:I hate this hotel.

- Confusing layout
- Vending machine drinks cost $2.50
- No in-room fridge. Even a tiny mini-fridge would do. No microwave.
- TV is in a shitty location and has to be turned 90 degrees to see it from the bed
- AC rattles
- I know room service isn't cheap, but $12 for a Caesar salad, $6 for Aquafina...ridiculous.
- Internet not included; $10-15/day depending on whether you go "High speed lite" or "High speed super f'ing awesome."
- Crappy location compared to Marriot Cambridge.

Only positives so far are the awesome delivery options open even at this hour and the complimentary shuttle service to Harvard Square.

If I had paid standard rate, I'd be pissed.

I've stayed in $60/night hotels with better amenities.

Ack... I hope we fare better in the Marriott...

Ew. It's 5:30am. Why am I up? Oh, yeah, to get on a plane.

See y'all in 14 hours!

FrenchiePatootie

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:10 am

Marriott internet is complimentary and the room is really nice.

Objection

Postby Objection » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:08 am

FrenchiePatootie wrote:Marriott internet is complimentary and the room is really nice.

Yeah yeah, rub it in.

FrenchiePatootie

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:34 am

hahaha well i'm off to try and get my mother to stand a couple of hrs of cultural sightseeing before we hit her comfort zone...Macy's.

sluggo

Postby sluggo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:48 pm

ETA 10 min... Way pumped. Objection I'm going to find you.

excitedutterance

Postby excitedutterance » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:00 pm

FrenchiePatootie wrote:Marriott internet is complimentary and the room is really nice.

complimentary?! I just paid for it!!! AAAAH!!!

oh it's on, marriott.

FrenchiePatootie

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:55 pm

Objection, were you wearing a striped polo shirt?
Or were in the subway on the red line? I saw 2 people who matched your description lol

excitedutterance

Postby excitedutterance » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:23 pm

FrenchiePatootie wrote:Objection, were you wearing a striped polo shirt?
Or were in the subway on the red line? I saw 2 people who matched your description lol

Haha. I definitely saw him--the description was dead-on. But there was no way I was going to be a huge creeper and start a conversation based on TLS and our dependence on TLS, so I drank my beer and kept to my group. Just know, Objection, that there are spies watching you. :lol:

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”