Washington & Lee Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
underwhere759

New

Re: Washington & Lee Class of 2012

Post by underwhere759 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:40 pm

I am actually headed back there this weekend. I have appointments to look at several places. one of which opens up right as we would need it.

We definitely dont want an apartment either. I havent had any trouble finding some places at least to look at I dont know how they will be when we get there.

I found a real estate agency who is showing me some of them.
I'll let you know if I see anything good while im there.

gamecock

New

Post by gamecock » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:14 pm

Just got in to Lexington, seems nice enough. Did anyone who went to a past ASW actually go to the "Coffee & Conversation" event? Who drinks coffee 7-9 at night if it isn't decaf following a dinner? Without a car I really don't know what to do...Applebee's here I come.

uknowme

New

Post by uknowme » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:16 pm

gamecock wrote:Just got in to Lexington, seems nice enough. Did anyone who went to a past ASW actually go to the "Coffee & Conversation" event? Who drinks coffee 7-9 at night if it isn't decaf following a dinner? Without a car I really don't know what to do...Applebee's here I come.
might i ask how old you are?

gamecock

New

Post by gamecock » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:43 pm

Is that relevant?

I guess little boys like me (I'm 23 if it's relevant) don't like drinking caffeine that late (7-9pm) and we don't do decaf unless the purpose is to help digest food. If I'm going to drink something to relax and be social on a Friday night I prefer something other then coffee, apparently I have some growing up to do.

uknowme

New

Post by uknowme » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:44 pm

gamecock wrote:Is that relevant?

I guess little boys like me (I'm 23 if it's relevant) don't like drinking caffeine that late (7-9pm) and we don't do decaf unless the purpose is to help digest food. If I'm going to drink something to relax and be social on a Friday night I prefer something other then coffee, apparently I have some growing up to do.
probably so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gamecock

New

Post by gamecock » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:53 pm

uknowme wrote:probably so.
You have no idea how excited you've made me at the prospect of spending 3 years with a guy like you.

Back to my original question, if anyone reads this before 7pm EST that went to the ASW 2 weeks ago, is the C&C worth it?

hokiehi

New

Post by hokiehi » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:58 pm

I was up there that weekend but missed out on the coffee. However, from what everyone said, it was just a chance to shoot the breeze with current students. You'll have a few opportunities to do that tomorrow, but if you got nothing else to do you should go. Go enjoy yourself, and don't let this toolbag irritate you.

uknowme

New

Post by uknowme » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:04 pm

you're a bit sensitive there. law is probably the field for you.

a.nony.mous

New

Post by a.nony.mous » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:37 pm

This is late, but go to the coffee. You'll meet some folks, then go out to the bar. What the hell else are you going to do?

And please, people, stop being assholes. W&L has a strict no asshole policy. Quite frankly, if you have no qualms being an ass to people you don't know, W&L is not the place for you. As an alum, I'd ask that you not take up a valuable space when there are plenty of people out there that will add value.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hokiehi

New

Post by hokiehi » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:37 am

I apologize for the name-calling, it was out of line. When is everybody planning on moving to Lexington?

Gamecock, how did the trip go? Were you already decided on W&L, or still up in the air?

gamecock

New

Post by gamecock » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:08 pm

Well I'm back from the visit and overall I have nothing but positive things to say about W & L. The faculty were all very approachable and excited to meet prospective students. The prospective and current students all seemed like pretty cool people, a must if you go to a law school that has only 400 people. Lexington is a beautiful town, albeit a small one. While this could be a negative for a lot of people I can see it being a positive for me; give me a big town with lots to do and I'll give you a student not studying enough. I'm still not 100% positive I will be going there, but the visit certainly pushed me much closer.

If I do commit I will probably head back up there in May to look at apartments in town, hopefully be able to sign a lease beginning in July. If anyone that wasn't able to make the weekend has any questions I'll do my best to answer. W & L certainly is an attractive law school.

gregw8705

New

Post by gregw8705 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:05 pm

The Open House weekend was great. I came away 95% sure I'll be at W&L. All that could stand in the way is $$ and/or an unexpected acceptance to UVA.

JakeLester9

New

Post by JakeLester9 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:00 am

Are any incoming first years planning on moving into student housing? I wasn't able to make the ASW and although I have visited the school I have not started to look for places to live. Having been out of school and living on my own for a few years I'm a bit nervous to move in with three other people.

Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Noonvale

New

Post by Noonvale » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:52 am

JakeLester9 wrote:Are any incoming first years planning on moving into student housing? I wasn't able to make the ASW and although I have visited the school I have not started to look for places to live. Having been out of school and living on my own for a few years I'm a bit nervous to move in with three other people.

Thanks.
I'm not - I feel you there. Four people to one kitchen and one bathroom just does not sound at all appealing to me! I'll be looking for apartments in May-June. (All the students I talked to at the ASW that lived in the campus apartments didn't like it and moved out, but they did say some people live there all 3 years. Dunno!) It might be a good thing to do if you can't go down and see housing over the summer, so you at least for sure have a place to live. (Note: I didn't actually get to go in and see them, so they might not be too bad.)

underwhere759

New

Post by underwhere759 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:03 pm

I am moving with my fiance ( who will by then be my husband) so the "on campus" housing wasnt an option. I have gone over to lexington two weekends in a row to check out houses and I am glad I didnt just go by what people were telling me over the phone. A lot of the homes are old so they weren't always as nice or solid as I expected.
There is something to be said for the close proximity of the on campus housing to the law school. It might be nice to only have to walk across the street when you get busy.

Check the lexington gazette link W&L has on their website under the moving with families portion there are tons of listings there. And I have found that people really would rather rent to law students than the undergrads. They expect us to be quieter and etc.

a.nony.mous

New

Post by a.nony.mous » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:03 pm

I'd advise against the on-campus housing. There are plenty of apartments and houses available for a very good price, and very close (no more than 2 or 3 miles) from the school, and you should be able to find something up through june or so, or even later. To me, the only person that the on-campus housing makes sense for is someone that has no furniture of their own and also has no car, so they need the school-provided furniture and they will likely eat on-campus often.

JakeLester9

New

Post by JakeLester9 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:31 pm

For anybody that is, has been, or knows current students does the campus housing help with initial social contact? Or do all the students become pretty close fast because of the size of the school?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gregw8705

New

Post by gregw8705 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:26 pm

JakeLester9 wrote:For anybody that is, has been, or knows current students does the campus housing help with initial social contact? Or do all the students become pretty close fast because of the size of the school?
I got the impression from the Open House that not living on campus is not going to interfere with social contact. The small size means everyone gets to know everyone pretty quickly, according to the current students. Most people do not live on campus down there and the current students said that they remain available until relatively close to the start of class (July or so)

gamecock

New

Post by gamecock » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:26 am

If you can handle living in a dorm again, the on-campus housing would be fine for you. It has the added benefit of an 8 (maybe 9?) month lease rather then 12. For me the buck stops there as far as benefits go.

Apartments/Houses seem plentiful and cheap, and even though the on-campus apartments were across the street from the law school, "off-campus" living is maybe a couple miles away max, making proximity for either not really an issue. My advice, coming from someone who has lived alone the last 2 years of undergrad, don't live in the on-campus apartments. Go to Lexington in late-May/June when 3L's are leaving town and snatch up an apartment in town or house around town, the COL is so low that nice, cheap places sounded plentiful.

veryconfused

New

Post by veryconfused » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:47 pm

gamecock wrote:If you can handle living in a dorm again, the on-campus housing would be fine for you. It has the added benefit of an 8 (maybe 9?) month lease rather then 12. For me the buck stops there as far as benefits go.

Apartments/Houses seem plentiful and cheap, and even though the on-campus apartments were across the street from the law school, "off-campus" living is maybe a couple miles away max, making proximity for either not really an issue. My advice, coming from someone who has lived alone the last 2 years of undergrad, don't live in the on-campus apartments. Go to Lexington in late-May/June when 3L's are leaving town and snatch up an apartment in town or house around town, the COL is so low that nice, cheap places sounded plentiful.
There are also quite a few apartments whose rent runs from August to May, so if you look hard, you can find some goodies

underwhere759

New

Post by underwhere759 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:13 pm

I wouldnt wait til as late as june to start looking, especially if you are looking for a house.
From what I can tell some other people already are, not sure if they are undergrads or law students. but before I could even see a couple of places I was interested in they were snatched up by somebody. If you can get over to Lexington earlier I definitely would. A few places I looked at were surrounded by undergrads and were definitely not going to be the most peaceful places to try and study.

My fiance and I are going to sign our lease this weekend. It took us a couple trips over there from DC to find something, and I am still not completely satisfied.
The real estate agent I went through for our rental and some of the independent people who were renting houses were already saying that they had other people behind me if I didnt want the place. And this isn't the kind of place where people are pushy.

But thats just my experience.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hokiehi

New

Post by hokiehi » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:00 pm

With the deposit deadline quickly approaching, has anyone else decided on W&L?

ORGAN21

New

Post by ORGAN21 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:15 pm

hokiehi wrote:With the deposit deadline quickly approaching, has anyone else decided on W&L?
Yep, I'm going. I just sent my deposit in last night! :-)

House Trained

New

Post by House Trained » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:00 pm

underwhere759 wrote:I wouldnt wait til as late as june to start looking, especially if you are looking for a house.
From what I can tell some other people already are, not sure if they are undergrads or law students. but before I could even see a couple of places I was interested in they were snatched up by somebody. If you can get over to Lexington earlier I definitely would. A few places I looked at were surrounded by undergrads and were definitely not going to be the most peaceful places to try and study.

My fiance and I are going to sign our lease this weekend. It took us a couple trips over there from DC to find something, and I am still not completely satisfied.
The real estate agent I went through for our rental and some of the independent people who were renting houses were already saying that they had other people behind me if I didnt want the place. And this isn't the kind of place where people are pushy.

But thats just my experience.

Would you mind sending me a private message with the real estate agent's name, e-mail, phone number, etc?

DUNWA

New

Post by DUNWA » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:06 pm

ORGAN21 wrote:
hokiehi wrote:With the deposit deadline quickly approaching, has anyone else decided on W&L?
Yep, I'm going. I just sent my deposit in last night! :-)

Happy to hear it Organ21! Congrats on all your acceptances (per your profile)! What sold you on W & L?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”