DePaul class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
elsboiler

DePaul class of 2012

Postby elsboiler » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:09 pm

Chicago here we come...

TheBoss

Re: DePaul class of 2012

Postby TheBoss » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:30 am

Congrats. I'm deciding between DePaul and Chicago-Kent. And it's really a tough decision for me. I love the history, alumni, connections available through DePaul. I just wish the facilities were more up to speed. The whole building, classrooms, etc all feel very very dated. Anyway, it's the education, not the aestheics right?

elsboiler

Postby elsboiler » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:51 pm

yeah I am also waiting to here from Chicago-Kent but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go to DePaul ( I like the health law program) it is a little dated but I heard they just bought a new building across the street? Plus the location is pretty amazing.. have you thought about housing yet?

TheBoss

Postby TheBoss » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:57 pm

elsboiler wrote:yeah I am also waiting to here from Chicago-Kent but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go to DePaul ( I like the health law program) it is a little dated but I heard they just bought a new building across the street? Plus the location is pretty amazing.. have you thought about housing yet?

I've lived in Chicago my whole life, own a home in the north suburbs. If you're not familiar with Chicago, you have plenty of housing options and neighborhoods to basically work with any type of person. Streeterville/West Loop are great if you want a quick commute and more city sprawl. Lakeview/Lincoln Park/Wicker Park/Bucktown/Old Town are great if you want to be close enough to a "El" train but still enjoy a neighborhood vibe. Wicker/Bucktown seem to gather more artsy, diverse crowds. Lakeview/Lincoln Park is more for students, young professionals.

Contrarian

Postby Contrarian » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:04 am

Two + now one more? Is that all?

Are our classmates at Mediocre-Law-Schools.Com or something?

TheBoss

Postby TheBoss » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:23 am

Contrarian wrote:Two + now one more? Is that all?

Are our classmates at Mediocre-Law-Schools.Com or something?

Well done. But I'm pretty sure there are more than 3 of us on this site. They're just busy being awesome. Don't have time to post here. See you all (you both) on campus.

sandia

Postby sandia » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:56 pm

I sent in my deposit this week. I'm pretty sure I'm going to Depaul.

Thanks TheBoss for the breakdown of the neighboorhoods...I'm relocating from San Francisco and not too familiar with what is what.

Contrarian

Postby Contrarian » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:17 pm

sandia wrote:I sent in my deposit this week. I'm pretty sure I'm going to Depaul.

Thanks TheBoss for the breakdown of the neighboorhoods...I'm relocating from San Francisco and not too familiar with what is what.

If you want to go for the city experience, I second Boss's recommendation of the Lincoln Park area. Look for a place near the red line, which stops right next to the Depaul building downtown. In the middle of the winter you'll be happy to minimize any time you have to spend walking outside. Lincoln Park is a great area, very much a younger single crowd with plenty of things to do: Wrigley field, the lake, the zoo, plenty of comedy/improv/small-theater, and of course the bar scene. Also, if you live in the city you can get away without owning a car (and for the times you need one you can get one a zip car account and rent by the hour). In fact, owning a car almost becomes a liability since you'll need to find parking and if you want to rent a spot it can cost a few hundred a month.

If you're not much of a city person, you can look for a place along the BNSF metra-rail route in the western suburbs. The train goes right into Union Station which is a tad over a half mile walk from the Depaul building. Spring to Fall it's a nice relaxing walk (and I speak this from experience). In the winter there's regular buses that stop right outside the train station and stop about 1 1/2 blocks from the law building. The other advantage of living out in the suburbs is you might be able to save a little bit on rent. However that might be offset by other factors, such as you'll definitely need to own a car. If you take the train in you'll probably want to find a place where you can take the PACE bus to the train station (most metrarail stations are sadly parking-space anemic) but you'll need a car to go shopping and do other stuff.

MissMaroon

Postby MissMaroon » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:26 am

Hey, guys! Checking in (pending my UChicago rejection... haha). Anyway, I paid the deposit, and I heart DePaul, seriously.

Boss & Contrarian - that was the perfect breakdown of the neighborhoods. I'm going to start looking around Lincoln Park/Lakeview in a couple weeks.

MissMaroon

Postby MissMaroon » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:29 am

Contrarian wrote:
sandia wrote:I sent in my deposit this week. I'm pretty sure I'm going to Depaul.

If you want to go for the city experience, I second Boss's recommendation of the Lincoln Park area. Look for a place near the red line, which stops right next to the Depaul building downtown. In the middle of the winter you'll be happy to minimize any time you have to spend walking outside. Lincoln Park is a great area, very much a younger single crowd with plenty of things to do: Wrigley field, the lake, the zoo, plenty of comedy/improv/small-theater, and of course the bar scene. Also, if you live in the city you can get away without owning a car (and for the times you need one you can get one a zip car account and rent by the hour). In fact, owning a car almost becomes a liability since you'll need to find parking and if you want to rent a spot it can cost a few hundred a month.

If you're not much of a city person, you can look for a place along the BNSF metra-rail route in the western suburbs. The train goes right into Union Station which is a tad over a half mile walk from the Depaul building. Spring to Fall it's a nice relaxing walk (and I speak this from experience). In the winter there's regular buses that stop right outside the train station and stop about 1 1/2 blocks from the law building. The other advantage of living out in the suburbs is you might be able to save a little bit on rent. However that might be offset by other factors, such as you'll definitely need to own a car. If you take the train in you'll probably want to find a place where you can take the PACE bus to the train station (most metrarail stations are sadly parking-space anemic) but you'll need a car to go shopping and do other stuff.

I'd just like to add that I live in the suburbs right now, but I go to Chicago almost every week because that's where my friends are - trust me, though the commute to DePaul would technically be possible, it would get old - and MISERABLE - very fast. It's exhausting. Though yes, the walk from Union Station to DePaul is pretty easy. I'd just never want to be that far from the school/library/classmates.

Contrarian

Postby Contrarian » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:49 pm

MissMaroon wrote:I'd just like to add that I live in the suburbs right now, but I go to Chicago almost every week because that's where my friends are - trust me, though the commute to DePaul would technically be possible, it would get old - and MISERABLE - very fast. It's exhausting. Though yes, the walk from Union Station to DePaul is pretty easy. I'd just never want to be that far from the school/library/classmates.

To an extent, I agree with you. I live in the far west suburbs and work downtown in a building not far from DePaul. When I first got the job, I expected the hour+ commute to suck. Especially since my previous job I literally worked across the street from the office and walked to work.

However, taking the train is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I drive minutes to the train station, park and wait a few min for the train to arrive. Then (depending if I took the express or the local) I have a 45-90 minute trip into the city. A lot of times I'll sleep, but I also use the time to read, watch videos on my iPod, work on the laptop, or just look out the window and enjoy the scenery. Now that I'm officially enrolled, I plan to start using that commuting time to study. Personally, I think the commute that long will be good because I'll almost be forced to study as there's only a limited number of things I can do and can avoid being distracted by watching TV or going drinking, etc.

That said, if the housing market weren't depressed, I probably would be living in one of the high rises along the lake right now. However if that were the case, I think my law school GPA would be at risk by at least a half a point, if not more. I speak for myself however, it doesn't mean anyone else might not have the self-discipline where this wouldn't be true.

bucky232

Postby bucky232 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:06 pm

Quick question (sorry if this doesn't belong here). How did you get your acceptances- via email or snail mail. I know they don't give out decisions on the phone. Thanks.

TheBoss

Postby TheBoss » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:57 pm

bucky232 wrote:Quick question (sorry if this doesn't belong here). How did you get your acceptances- via email or snail mail. I know they don't give out decisions on the phone. Thanks.

How dare you post that here!! Jk, I got my acceptance in the mail. Pretty sure that's the norm.

elsboiler

Postby elsboiler » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:59 pm

Yeah I got mine in the mail as well.. I believe about 3 weeks after I went complete

boss-- did you decide between depaul and kent?

TheBoss

Postby TheBoss » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:04 pm

elsboiler wrote:Yeah I got mine in the mail as well.. I believe about 3 weeks after I went complete

I did. I'm going to DePaul, and pretty excited. A few reasons really but it basically boiled down to some amalgamation of these three...

1) I have a strong interest in plaintiff's work/public interest law/politics. DePaul's alumni absolutely dominate Kent's in these areas. And I'm hoping (banking actually) on pushing that network upon graduation. If the plaintiff's market dries up (through tort reform and the like), I can see myself running for state senate or even the bench.

2) Of the few times I visited Kent, while I certainly was impressed by the facilities, I got the distinct impression that a large contingency of the student body was a) overly competitive in an ugly way and b) bitter, as though they didn't want to be there and still upset that they didn't get into UC or NU. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the DePaul hallways were filled with happy, excited law students. The Kent hallways seemed to be filled with paranoid sourpusses. No offense to anyone at Kent. That was just my impression. Maybe everyone there was having a bad day when I visited. heh.

3) My father went to DePaul law. He never once pushed me or tried to sway me in the decision. I know I've made him proud and, as a father myself, that was important to me. Look, I can see the writing on the wall. Both Kent and DePaul are regional schools. I would need to be top 10% AT EITHER SCHOOL to have my pick of jobs after graduation. So, if there's essentially the same school, take points #1 and #2 and put them together and it just made sense for me.

elsboiler

Postby elsboiler » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:28 pm

yeah that makes a lot of sense.. I liked the impression I got from DePaul.. fairly laid back... I'm excited to start!

RudyRudy

Postby RudyRudy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:03 pm

I'm trying to decide between DePaul and University of Denver, I've put deposits down at both. I checked out Denver a couple of weeks ago, I was fairly impressed with the school but the city didn't do much for me. In two weeks I'm going to be heading to Chicago and I'm very excited to see the school and the city.

Here's my dilemma -- Denver offered me 17k a year. DePaul so far has offered me nothing but a tee-shirt. Everything being equal I'd probably go with DePaul but I don't see how I could turn down a substantial scholarship right now. Living in Denver doesn't really excite me but it's ranked similarly to DePaul, it has less competition of jobs (although a much smaller market, so this might be a wash) and the cost of living is quite lower.

Has anyone had any luck getting money out of DePaul? I've called and written a letter asking to be reconsidered but have yet to hear back.

Generally, what do you think? Would I be absolutely crazy to turn down 17k/year from DU to attend DePaul?

TheBoss

Postby TheBoss » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:02 pm

RudyRudy wrote:I'm trying to decide between DePaul and University of Denver, I've put deposits down at both. I checked out Denver a couple of weeks ago, I was fairly impressed with the school but the city didn't do much for me. In two weeks I'm going to be heading to Chicago and I'm very excited to see the school and the city.

Here's my dilemma -- Denver offered me 17k a year. DePaul so far has offered me nothing but a tee-shirt. Everything being equal I'd probably go with DePaul but I don't see how I could turn down a substantial scholarship right now. Living in Denver doesn't really excite me but it's ranked similarly to DePaul, it has less competition of jobs (although a much smaller market, so this might be a wash) and the cost of living is quite lower.

Has anyone had any luck getting money out of DePaul? I've called and written a letter asking to be reconsidered but have yet to hear back.

Generally, what do you think? Would I be absolutely crazy to turn down 17k/year from DU to attend DePaul?

Both are regional schools so go where you intend to set up your practice. Neither of these school are national enough to run the risk. Yes, the Chicago legal market is flooded (2nd largest market in the country) but that also means there are more jobs. Bigger pool with more fish. Can't speak for the Denver legal scene. I'm sure a degree from Denver to practice in Denver would be a smart thing. In short, go where you want to set up your practice. Once you're established and experienced, you can go anywhere. But at the onset, you need to be where your school places well. For DePaul, that's Chicago. For Denver, that's Portland Maine. Just kidding.

kevhead

Postby kevhead » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:10 am

I have also been accepted and I paid my deposit a few weeks ago. Happy to "meet" you all. I'm planning on specializing in IP and looking forward to returning to my home. I've been pursuing my undergrad degree at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles (don't get me wrong, it was fun while it lasted) but I've continuously felt the draw to come back. Good luck with the housing search!

MissMaroon

Postby MissMaroon » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:13 pm

TheBoss wrote:
elsboiler wrote:Yeah I got mine in the mail as well.. I believe about 3 weeks after I went complete

I did. I'm going to DePaul, and pretty excited. A few reasons really but it basically boiled down to some amalgamation of these three...

1) I have a strong interest in plaintiff's work/public interest law/politics. DePaul's alumni absolutely dominate Kent's in these areas. And I'm hoping (banking actually) on pushing that network upon graduation. If the plaintiff's market dries up (through tort reform and the like), I can see myself running for state senate or even the bench.

2) Of the few times I visited Kent, while I certainly was impressed by the facilities, I got the distinct impression that a large contingency of the student body was a) overly competitive in an ugly way and b) bitter, as though they didn't want to be there and still upset that they didn't get into UC or NU. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the DePaul hallways were filled with happy, excited law students. The Kent hallways seemed to be filled with paranoid sourpusses. No offense to anyone at Kent. That was just my impression. Maybe everyone there was having a bad day when I visited. heh.

3) My father went to DePaul law. He never once pushed me or tried to sway me in the decision. I know I've made him proud and, as a father myself, that was important to me. Look, I can see the writing on the wall. Both Kent and DePaul are regional schools. I would need to be top 10% AT EITHER SCHOOL to have my pick of jobs after graduation. So, if there's essentially the same school, take points #1 and #2 and put them together and it just made sense for me.

YAY!! Congrats on the decision :D :D

MissMaroon

Postby MissMaroon » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:18 pm

RudyRudy wrote:I'm trying to decide between DePaul and University of Denver, I've put deposits down at both. I checked out Denver a couple of weeks ago, I was fairly impressed with the school but the city didn't do much for me. In two weeks I'm going to be heading to Chicago and I'm very excited to see the school and the city.

Yes, 20K from DePaul. Are you going to try to get them to match the Denver offer? They are great about accomodating their prospective students, so go for it. But I agree with Boss - DePaul is very regional, so only choose it if you want to work in Chicago.... though it IS one of the best legal markets in the country, and DePaul has that fantastic network and rep in the city.

TheBoss

Postby TheBoss » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:34 am

MissMaroon wrote:
TheBoss wrote:

YAY!! Congrats on the decision :D :D

Thanks. Have you decided on a school? I thought I remembered you sweating out UChicago?

MissMaroon

Postby MissMaroon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:02 am

I'm heading to DePaul, but I did get WL at UChicago last week, and I'm riding it out until the very end.

TheBoss

Postby TheBoss » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:33 am

MissMaroon wrote:I'm heading to DePaul, but I did get WL at UChicago last week, and I'm riding it out until the very end.

Congrats, and good luck!

bns_77

Postby bns_77 » Fri May 08, 2009 3:22 pm

TheBoss wrote:

This is classic.

What did those Kent students do to you!?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”