University of Washington 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jcl2

Bronze

Re: University of Washington 2012

Post by jcl2 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:25 pm

newcritic wrote:It seems this thread has gone cold, but I'm curious as to who's getting a new laptop for UW and what type. Also, does anyone have any insights into childcare?
This was one of the reasons I decided to defer for a year. Most of the daycare centers at and around UW have long waitlists and are pretty expensive. UW childcare told me that the average waitlist time is 3 years; I'm not sure who knows they are going to need childcare 3 years ahead of time. Sharing a nanny does sound like a good idea, my wife and might consider that Fall 10' depending on the cost and her income.

newcritic

New

Post by newcritic » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:39 pm

jcl2 wrote:
newcritic wrote:It seems this thread has gone cold, but I'm curious as to who's getting a new laptop for UW and what type. Also, does anyone have any insights into childcare?
This was one of the reasons I decided to defer for a year. Most of the daycare centers at and around UW have long waitlists and are pretty expensive. UW childcare told me that the average waitlist time is 3 years; I'm not sure who knows they are going to need childcare 3 years ahead of time. Sharing a nanny does sound like a good idea, my wife and might consider that Fall 10' depending on the cost and her income.
I got that 3 year thing when I talked to them, too. There's also a six month wait for the university graduate/married/whatever apartments (not counting that Radford Court). Really, who knows that far out?

rwong11

New

Post by rwong11 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:32 pm

I got the T400 Lenovo Thinkpad, which everyone seemed to be recommending on the laptops forum. I'm very happy with it. It has great battery life, but that seems less important at UW, since when I visited everyone seemed to be plugging in.

I'm hoping to live at Radford Court, at least for my first semester. Coming from out of state with a dog, I was stressing out a lot about finding a place. It'll be a nice to have an apartment secured when I move there, and then in the future I'll spend some time finding a neighborhood I like.

I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on where to live and the cost of rent. I'm guessing $800-$900 seems like a reasonable amount to pay for a one-bedroom, but I don't know. I'd really like to live within a few miles of UW to care for the dog.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:45 pm

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:48 pm

UW just posted the 2008 summer employers for the class of 2009, and I was kind of surprised to see that three of the top 5 Vault 100 firms had UW summer associates last summer, Cravath, Swaine & Moore, Davis Polk & Wardwell, and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Affiliates. I am assuming that the students who got these jobs are very near the top of the class, but it is encouraging to see that the very top firm jobs are available to UW grads who do well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tvaddicted

Bronze

Post by tvaddicted » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:38 pm

Does anyone know when the second deposit deadline is? Was the June 1 deadline the only deposit deadline?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:17 am

WestCoastGuru

New

Post by WestCoastGuru » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:51 am

tvaddicted wrote:Does anyone know when the second deposit deadline is? Was the June 1 deadline the only deposit deadline?
Thats the only one

you

New

Post by you » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:42 pm

Anyone else not received their financial aid package yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:44 pm

piiz

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:40 am

you wrote:Anyone else not received their financial aid package yet?
When were you admitted? In my experience financial aid offices are terrible at loosing paperwork and screwing things up, so I would definitely call them if you are concerned.

griffkin

New

Post by griffkin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:16 pm

I live at Radford Court... if anyone has questions about the complex I'd be glad to answer them.

you

New

Post by you » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:16 pm

griffkin wrote:I live at Radford Court... if anyone has questions about the complex I'd be glad to answer them.
How do you like the neighborhood around Radford Court? I am not planning on living in the complex itself, but I'm curious about the area because it is pretty close to UW. I recently visited Seattle, but somehow we missed that section of town (NE of campus). I really liked Magnolia because we're looking for somewhere quiet and residential, so I'm wondering if there is a sort of equivalent feel closer to UW. Also, how is Magnuson Park? I loved Discovery Park, which is over by Magnolia. Thanks for the help!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

griffkin

New

Post by griffkin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:32 pm

you wrote:
griffkin wrote:I live at Radford Court... if anyone has questions about the complex I'd be glad to answer them.
How do you like the neighborhood around Radford Court? I am not planning on living in the complex itself, but I'm curious about the area because it is pretty close to UW. I recently visited Seattle, but somehow we missed that section of town (NE of campus). I really liked Magnolia because we're looking for somewhere quiet and residential, so I'm wondering if there is a sort of equivalent feel closer to UW. Also, how is Magnuson Park? I loved Discovery Park, which is over by Magnolia. Thanks for the help!
The neighborhood around Radford Court is nice. IMHO it's not as nice as Magnolia, which is a really exceptional area with the views of downtown & the sound, and the bluffs and everything. But the neighborhood around here is certainly quiet and residential. You have to get pretty close to campus (University Village shopping center really, which is about 2 miles away) before things start getting busy with shops and traffic and such.

Magnuson Park is AWESOME. It's right across from Radford Court, so I go there all the time with my dog. There's lots of open space/playfields, a big off-leash dog park, a hill for flying kites, public barbeque grills, a boat launch, etc. It's really a great place to take a walk or just enjoy being by the lake. It doesn't quite have the views that Discovery Park has, but other than that it's on par.

The only drawback that I'll mention about this neighborhood is that it's incredibly difficult to get anywhere at rush hour. There are very limited options for getting on/off the freeways from the Sand Point area, and because quite a few people live up here the traffic can get really bad at rush hour on 45th (which runs east/west past the school's entrance to I-5) and on Montlake Blvd. (which runs north/south past Husky Stadium to Highway 520). Obviously, it's possible to plan to avoid the traffic, but it can be a pain in the ass.

tvaddicted

Bronze

Post by tvaddicted » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:47 am

If I am looking for a studio apartment near UW, what is a reasonable price? I am hoping for something under $800...is this possible to find in the U district or somewhere nearby? Also, when is everyone thinking of moving- august or september?

LawDog3

New

Post by LawDog3 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:55 am

jcl2 wrote:I'm 99.9% sure I'm going. Anyone else?

I'm going to wait to actually send in the seat deposit until I hear back about scholarships (not sure if it really matters), but I am going to withdraw my remaining applications and decline all other offers this week.

UW is a good school, but the administration and faculty are not very friendly. Think twice about going there. You'll enjoy the university as a whole and Seattle is one of the best cities to live in. But the law school is overrated, IMO, and there are several schools ranked lower that I would choose instead.

LawDog3

New

Post by LawDog3 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:01 am

griffkin wrote:
you wrote:
The neighborhood around Radford Court is nice. IMHO it's not as nice as Magnolia, which is a really exceptional area with the views of downtown & the sound, and the bluffs and everything. But the neighborhood around here is certainly quiet and residential. You have to get pretty close to campus (University Village shopping center really, which is about 2 miles away) before things start getting busy with shops and traffic and such.

Magnuson Park is AWESOME. It's right across from Radford Court, so I go there all the time with my dog. There's lots of open space/playfields, a big off-leash dog park, a hill for flying kites, public barbeque grills, a boat launch, etc. It's really a great place to take a walk or just enjoy being by the lake. It doesn't quite have the views that Discovery Park has, but other than that it's on par.

The only drawback that I'll mention about this neighborhood is that it's incredibly difficult to get anywhere at rush hour. There are very limited options for getting on/off the freeways from the Sand Point area, and because quite a few people live up here the traffic can get really bad at rush hour on 45th (which runs east/west past the school's entrance to I-5) and on Montlake Blvd. (which runs north/south past Husky Stadium to Highway 520). Obviously, it's possible to plan to avoid the traffic, but it can be a pain in the ass.
Find something north of 50th and between 15th and 20th. Or you can go east of I-5 up to 20th and between 41st and 60th. Or you can live on Capital Hill or near U-Village. Radford Ct. is not the move.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

newcritic

New

Post by newcritic » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:02 pm

Find something north of 50th and between 15th and 20th. Or you can go east of I-5 up to 20th and between 41st and 60th. Or you can live on Capital Hill or near U-Village. Radford Ct. is not the move.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. My wife and I are headed over to Seattle next weekend to go apartment hunting. She has a job and will be working in Shoreline (I'm pretty sure it's on 145th). Are there any places we flat out need to avoid? I don't mind living in transitional neighborhoods (I currently live across the street from a functioning narcotraficante), but neither do I want to ignore common sense.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all in the fall.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:20 pm

LawDog3 wrote:
jcl2 wrote:I'm 99.9% sure I'm going. Anyone else?

I'm going to wait to actually send in the seat deposit until I hear back about scholarships (not sure if it really matters), but I am going to withdraw my remaining applications and decline all other offers this week.

UW is a good school, but the administration and faculty are not very friendly. Think twice about going there. You'll enjoy the university as a whole and Seattle is one of the best cities to live in. But the law school is overrated, IMO, and there are several schools ranked lower that I would choose instead.
Just curious why you think the administration and faculty are not friendly? Do you have any direct experience with the school? That was certainly not my impression from the correspondence I had with them, or from the admitted students weekend. Also, why do you think the school is overrated? Quite the opposite is true, IMO.

I will be attending UW, though I differed so it will not be until next year. I am very happy with the choice. Location was a very important factor in my decision, and I would not choose any lower ranked school over UW, nor would I choose any higher ranked school outside the T10.

1L2012

New

Post by 1L2012 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:13 pm

Does anyone know what are some good apartments to live in (that's also cheap) that only take 5-10 minutes to walk on campus? I have been looking on the Northwest side of campus on Brooklyn so far.

Also, anyone out there looking for a room/housemate?

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:59 pm

1L2012 wrote:Does anyone know what are some good apartments to live in (that's also cheap) that only take 5-10 minutes to walk on campus? I have been looking on the Northwest side of campus on Brooklyn so far.

Also, anyone out there looking for a room/housemate?

I would look in the Ravena area (just north of the U District). You can probably find someplace that won't be to long of a walk/bike ride, especially since the law building is right at the north end of campus, and it should be a little cheaper and quieter than the U District.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

laughingberries

New

Post by laughingberries » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:04 am

----

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”