THE Boston College class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
matty

Bronze

Re: THE Boston College class of 2012

Post by matty » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:41 am

so....
is anybody else's financial aid status still listed as "Conditional." They tell you not to start the loan application process until your status is "certified", but they are taking forever. I look at other threads and it seems like everyone else is already done with this, and I haven't even started. Really wish they would just hurry the f@ck up so I could be done with this and stop worrying about it. I keep having these nightmares that my certification is being delayed becasue they want to take all my scholarship money back. Ugh.

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:38 pm

Okay I talked to someone in Financial Aid and gleaned a few things from our conversation. First, I have been "verified" as she called it, although my financial aid status in Agora is still listed as "conditional." So if you don't thnik you've been verified yet, you might wanna go ahead and double-check with financial aid. Second, the lady said that I shouldn't start applying for Stafford Loans until the week of July 13th, which sounds late to me but oh well. However, if you are applying for grad plus or private loans you can start that process now. I feel a little more informed now, if still a little in the dark about this whole process considering I know students at other schools who have already signed MPNs.

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Bronze

Post by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:08 pm

matty wrote:Okay I talked to someone in Financial Aid and gleaned a few things from our conversation. First, I have been "verified" as she called it, although my financial aid status in Agora is still listed as "conditional." So if you don't thnik you've been verified yet, you might wanna go ahead and double-check with financial aid. Second, the lady said that I shouldn't start applying for Stafford Loans until the week of July 13th, which sounds late to me but oh well. However, if you are applying for grad plus or private loans you can start that process now. I feel a little more informed now, if still a little in the dark about this whole process considering I know students at other schools who have already signed MPNs.
hey did you figure out which lender youre going to use? i was leaning towards discover, just because i wanna save as much as possible.

and why do we have to wait until july 13th to apply for stafford loans? i wanted to do it all in one shot, so i think im gonna wait on the gradplus loans if that's the case...

ugh this whole process is so confusing, it's worse than going to class :?

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:53 pm

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:
matty wrote:Okay I talked to someone in Financial Aid and gleaned a few things from our conversation. First, I have been "verified" as she called it, although my financial aid status in Agora is still listed as "conditional." So if you don't thnik you've been verified yet, you might wanna go ahead and double-check with financial aid. Second, the lady said that I shouldn't start applying for Stafford Loans until the week of July 13th, which sounds late to me but oh well. However, if you are applying for grad plus or private loans you can start that process now. I feel a little more informed now, if still a little in the dark about this whole process considering I know students at other schools who have already signed MPNs.
hey did you figure out which lender youre going to use? i was leaning towards discover, just because i wanna save as much as possible.

and why do we have to wait until july 13th to apply for stafford loans? i wanted to do it all in one shot, so i think im gonna wait on the gradplus loans if that's the case...

ugh this whole process is so confusing, it's worse than going to class :?
hah, don't speak too soon...you might change your mind in a couple months

but yeah, I'm going to go with Discover--its stupid to pay origination fees on Stafford loans and they have a good deal on GradPlus too. July 13th is the date the financial aid lady told me. But from what I've read, you can apply before that but the week of July 13th is the earliest the Master Promissory Note is available to electronically sign or whatever and officially approve your loans. Since I'm thinking that the loan application process really doesn't take much time, I'll proabbly just do it all that day and try to get it out of the way.

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Bronze

Post by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:25 pm

nvminddd

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

7wood

New

Post by 7wood » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:10 pm

I'm heading up to Boston this weekend to try and find a place to live. The gf is gonna be in tow, so does anyone have any good restaurant or bar recommendations? We'll be staying downtown near Tremont and Kneeland, so something downtownish would be good.

jaudette

New

Post by jaudette » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Hey if anyone is still looking for a roommate I think I've found a cool place near the shuttle route. I'd love to live with a fellow TLSer.

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:38 pm

7wood wrote:I'm heading up to Boston this weekend to try and find a place to live. The gf is gonna be in tow, so does anyone have any good restaurant or bar recommendations? We'll be staying downtown near Tremont and Kneeland, so something downtownish would be good.
are you a member of the Boston College Law 2012 facebook group? I'd try asking there--2ls and 3ls browse it and might have a better idea, since I know a lot of us aren't from Boston.

7wood

New

Post by 7wood » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:27 pm

matty wrote:are you a member of the Boston College Law 2012 facebook group? I'd try asking there--2ls and 3ls browse it and might have a better idea, since I know a lot of us aren't from Boston.
Good idea. I'm not a member of the group yet though. I'm facebook friends friends with a lot of people I work with, and no one at work knows I'm leaving yet, so if I joined the group I'm sure I would get some questions. I'm actually planning on putting in my 2 weeks on Monday. Hooray!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

etudiantededroit

New

Post by etudiantededroit » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:48 pm

7wood wrote:I'm heading up to Boston this weekend to try and find a place to live. The gf is gonna be in tow, so does anyone have any good restaurant or bar recommendations? We'll be staying downtown near Tremont and Kneeland, so something downtownish would be good.
Let's see...if you feel like hopping on the Silver line and heading over to the South End, I'd recommend Toro (a great little tapas bar with tasty sangria), the South End Buttery (bakery upstairs, delicious restaurant downstairs), or Petit Robert Bistro (good French bistro fare at a reasonable price). If it's nice out, you could check out the waterfront -- some fun options there include the Barking Crab (a fun bar/seafood restaurant right on the water), or Sel de la Terre (a French restaurant by the Aquarium with delicious steak frites).

The Globe has a bunch of restaurant/bar recommendations, if that helps: http://www.boston.com/ae/restaurants/

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:53 pm

I am applying to BC law and really really really want to go

I will apply EA
Anyone have any advice?

I have 3.46 and a 165

seem borderline..

anyways how much should housing run me? I would love a 1 br walking distance...

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Bronze

Post by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:21 pm

er...what happened to the last 3 or 4 pages in this thread :?

edit: never mind...ive been reading and asking questions on the 2011 forum :oops:

belligerentfuture

New

Post by belligerentfuture » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:21 pm

Headybrah wrote:I am applying to BC law and really really really want to go

I will apply EA
Anyone have any advice?

I have 3.46 and a 165

seem borderline..

anyways how much should housing run me? I would love a 1 br walking distance...
with those numbers you are not really borderline, you should be fine, especially EA. Living by yourself is expensive--expect to pay 1000/month to 1300/month. You only get 1000/month for rent and all utilities for *9 months* each year in the living expenses budget, so if you are using loans, you will probably need to share an apartment or rent a room in someone's house. look on craigslist to get an idea. newton is a suburban area, especially around the law school, so apartment-type housing is limited.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

7wood

New

Post by 7wood » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:24 pm

etudiantededroit wrote:
Let's see...if you feel like hopping on the Silver line and heading over to the South End, I'd recommend Toro (a great little tapas bar with tasty sangria), the South End Buttery (bakery upstairs, delicious restaurant downstairs), or Petit Robert Bistro (good French bistro fare at a reasonable price). If it's nice out, you could check out the waterfront -- some fun options there include the Barking Crab (a fun bar/seafood restaurant right on the water), or Sel de la Terre (a French restaurant by the Aquarium with delicious steak frites).

The Globe has a bunch of restaurant/bar recommendations, if that helps: http://www.boston.com/ae/restaurants/
Thanks for the suggestions! Now if they would just stop delaying my flight...

7wood

New

Post by 7wood » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:09 am

etudiantededroit wrote:

Thanks again for the recommendations. We wound up going to the Barking Crab and had a great time. The place was crowded as hell, but we wound up getting a seat in the bar after a while and ordered there. I don't know what band they had on that night, but they were pretty damn good.... or maybe I was just pretty damn drunk?

And I did wind up finding a place to live. I can move in any time between now and the end of August, but I think I'm gonna work a week longer than I originally planned and start the move up around the 22nd. I'm excited about moving up to Boston, just not excited about the 27ish hour drive... ugh.

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Bronze

Post by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:58 am

7wood wrote:
etudiantededroit wrote:

Thanks again for the recommendations. We wound up going to the Barking Crab and had a great time. The place was crowded as hell, but we wound up getting a seat in the bar after a while and ordered there. I don't know what band they had on that night, but they were pretty damn good.... or maybe I was just pretty damn drunk?

And I did wind up finding a place to live. I can move in any time between now and the end of August, but I think I'm gonna work a week longer than I originally planned and start the move up around the 22nd. I'm excited about moving up to Boston, just not excited about the 27ish hour drive... ugh.
where you drivin from??

7wood

New

Post by 7wood » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:31 am

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:where you drivin from??
Dallas. I'll be towing my car too so I'm guessing it will take a little bit longer. Luckily my brother is gonna ride along with me and help with the driving.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:26 pm

Anyone heard anything from Financial Aid regarding loans? I applied with Discover and they claim they sent my info off to the school on July 16th but as of yet have not recieved any infor re: amounts or disbursement dates back from the school yet. I called fin aid yesterday and again this morning and they were out of the office both times and have yet to return my phone call. I'd just like to know WTF my status is. Plus you think the fin. aid people would at least be in the office this time of year. It's not like its crunch time or anything :roll:

7wood

New

Post by 7wood » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:07 pm

matty wrote:Anyone heard anything from Financial Aid regarding loans? I applied with Discover and they claim they sent my info off to the school on July 16th but as of yet have not recieved any infor re: amounts or disbursement dates back from the school yet. I called fin aid yesterday and again this morning and they were out of the office both times and have yet to return my phone call. I'd just like to know WTF my status is. Plus you think the fin. aid people would at least be in the office this time of year. It's not like its crunch time or anything :roll:
I used Discover too, but mine's gone through already. I applied July 5th, and they had everything back on the 15th. Hope they get back to you soon.

theskippa10

Bronze

Post by theskippa10 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:22 pm

i spoke to the fin aid lady in person recently before she went on vacation because i needed them to relook at my fin aid award because of a series of unfortunate events this summer. i asked her if i'll be cutting it close to apply for loans mid august, and she said not really as they "clear " people when they apply pretty quickly

MR315

New

Post by MR315 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:06 pm

7wood wrote:
etudiantededroit wrote:

Do you mind if I ask where you're living and how you found the place? I've been looking casually, but really need to buckle down. Any help would be appreciated.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

7wood

New

Post by 7wood » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:51 pm

MR315 wrote:Do you mind if I ask where you're living and how you found the place? I've been looking casually, but really need to buckle down. Any help would be appreciated.
It's a two family house in watertown, two-ish miles from the BC campus. I searched the hell out of craigslist the week before I wanted to go looking, and emailed everyone and their mother that fit what I was looking for. Check out the rooms/shared section on there if you don't mind having a roommate, that's where I wound up finding my place.

I think there may also be some people that are still looking for roommates on the 2012 facebook group, you might want to check there.
jaudette wrote:Hey if anyone is still looking for a roommate I think I've found a cool place near the shuttle route. I'd love to live with a fellow TLSer.
You may also want to check on this ^ The only reason I didn't bite is because I wanted something that was month to month for a little while.

On a side note, I didn't go with something like this, but you'd be surprised how many houses full of girls are on craigslist that are looking for a guy to move in.

MR315

New

Post by MR315 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:21 pm

7wood wrote:
MR315 wrote:Do you mind if I ask where you're living and how you found the place? I've been looking casually, but really need to buckle down. Any help would be appreciated.
It's a two family house in watertown, two-ish miles from the BC campus. I searched the hell out of craigslist the week before I wanted to go looking, and emailed everyone and their mother that fit what I was looking for. Check out the rooms/shared section on there if you don't mind having a roommate, that's where I wound up finding my place.

I think there may also be some people that are still looking for roommates on the 2012 facebook group, you might want to check there.
jaudette wrote:Hey if anyone is still looking for a roommate I think I've found a cool place near the shuttle route. I'd love to live with a fellow TLSer.
You may also want to check on this ^ The only reason I didn't bite is because I wanted something that was month to month for a little while.

On a side note, I didn't go with something like this, but you'd be surprised how many houses full of girls are on craigslist that are looking for a guy to move in.
Thanks for the info!

belligerentfuture

New

Post by belligerentfuture » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 am

7wood wrote:It's a two family house in watertown, two-ish miles from the BC campus. I searched the hell out of craigslist the week before I wanted to go looking, and emailed everyone and their mother that fit what I was looking for. Check out the rooms/shared section on there if you don't mind having a roommate, that's where I wound up finding my place.
I did pretty much the same thing, and I found a place in Cambridge on the Watertown border (its a great area to live if you have a car--short drive (or bike ride), no heavy traffic, really nice safe neighborhood, about a mile and a half from harvard square). Craigslisting works best if you get semi-obsessed with it for about a week, and contact everybody who looks like they might be a good roommate/apartment fit, and go see a bunch until you find the perfect place. I managed to get a place for $500 a month including all bills with parking that was happy to have my cats and my vegan eating habits, so it can be done!! :)

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:18 am

belligerentfuture wrote:I managed to get a place for $500 a month including all bills with parking that was happy to have my cats and my vegan eating habits, so it can be done!! :)
Holy shit that's an amazing deal! Now you're making me pissed because I thought I got a steal paying $650 w/ no utilities :evil: (of course, $650 still ain't bad compared to what most people are paying from what I've heard).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”