THE Boston College class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Bronze

Re: THE Boston College class of 2012

Post by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Wed May 27, 2009 11:56 am

kiwislug wrote:Anyone know how to access the discounted hotel rate BC is offering for housing fair weekend?
interested in this also

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:51 pm

rlf wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:i am going to the fair.

is anyone getting their laptop through BC computing
?

Bumping this question because I think it's important. The laptop's that BC offers are really cheap and they are really good. Has anyone looked into this. You have the convenience of on campus repair as well as pre-configured laptop to BC's security specifications..

Those are the pro's. The con's are that I can't configure it on my own (however the specs they have are far better than anything I was going to get anyway) and they are Dell's which I heard are not THAT great....
I don't know anything about getting a laptop through BC computing (as I already have one that I'm bringing), but I just thought I'd throw in my own 2 cents about Dells: Don't get one, they suck. From my own experience, and those of a lot of friends during undergrad, I know that they really don't last as long as other laptops and tend to have a lot of issues. When mine died unexpectedly, I bought a macbook and couldn't be happier with it.
I know that this is typically true, but I think its worth trying to dig deeper. Are we talkin inspiron's? orXPS's? The model BC offers is a latitude.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:52 pm

belligerentfuture wrote:When is the housing fair again? I'm still negotiating for money, but there is a HIGH likelihood that come June 1st, I'll be putting all of my eggs in BC's basket. It would be nice to go to the housing fair just to get an idea, and also to meet some of you fine people before classes start :)

Sentinal-- Just get some good snow tires, keep a collapsible shovel in your trunk, and if you can find an apartment with a garage space, you will be golden. SUVs are actually worse a lot of the time in snow because of the high center of gravity....and the selective tendency to consider it a license to drive like one is invincible :) Growing up in Upstate NY, we used to count the number of SUVs that would pass our Volvo station wagon on the highway, and then turn up in a ditch a few miles ahead ;)

Housing fair is June 19th on Friday. I think it starts at 10am. Thanks for the advice!

belligerentfuture

New

Post by belligerentfuture » Wed May 27, 2009 1:53 pm

sentinal5656 wrote: Housing fair is June 19th on Friday. I think it starts at 10am. Thanks for the advice!
Sweet! I can totally make that, yay :) Hope to see you all then!

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:53 pm

belligerentfuture wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote: Housing fair is June 19th on Friday. I think it starts at 10am. Thanks for the advice!
Sweet! I can totally make that, yay :) Hope to see you all then!

cool!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tempurabanana

New

Post by tempurabanana » Wed May 27, 2009 4:02 pm

collinet wrote:
If you will be bringing a car, I'd even look at areas as far away as Jamaica Plain and Cambridge, but Brookline at the very least. No need to try to find parking on Comm Ave/Beacon St if you don't need the T. If you won't have a car, check out Allston. I live near the Harvard Ave B line stop, and the area is far enough away from BC (although BU is pretty close...) ugrads to have its own quirky vibe, but close enough so that the commute to campus isn't so bad.

I hope all this unsolicited advice is at least marginally useful to someone...in any case, good luck at BC this fall!
Oh good. I just signed a lease in Cambridge (my boyfriend got a job near Mass Gen, so we wanted to be close to the redline). I'll be bringing my car up. I have friends that live in Somerville and they've been trying to convince me that it won't be that bad of a commute, but it's nice to hear you actually recommending it!

Now I just have to figure out how to drive in snow and ice. And in a city.

I am so screwed.

collinet

New

Post by collinet » Wed May 27, 2009 4:10 pm

tempurabanana wrote:Now I just have to figure out how to drive in snow and ice. And in a city.
Ha ha...it's not that bad! The roads get cleaned off really quickly. Just bring your shovel. The few times I drove my bf's car in Boston I almost had a heart attack. Use google maps or gps or something, because the layout of Boston's roads is eccentric, to put it nicely. Then again, I had never driven in a city bigger than Greensboro, NC, and Boston is a whole 'nother beast.

tempurabanana

New

Post by tempurabanana » Wed May 27, 2009 4:47 pm

collinet wrote:
tempurabanana wrote:Now I just have to figure out how to drive in snow and ice. And in a city.
Ha ha...it's not that bad! The roads get cleaned off really quickly. Just bring your shovel. The few times I drove my bf's car in Boston I almost had a heart attack. Use google maps or gps or something, because the layout of Boston's roads is eccentric, to put it nicely. Then again, I had never driven in a city bigger than Greensboro, NC, and Boston is a whole 'nother beast.
Oh, I have heard of Boston's confusing roads and already bought a GPS unit. $100 for a refurbished Garmin Nuvi 260 on Amazon.com, check it out! I figure I may as well buy one now for the trip up from Florida...I'm moving is in t-minus 3 weeks. I'm used to Florida suburban driving. Minimum of 4 lanes, large intersections, no one-way streets, well-paved roads, no parallel parking...like I said, so screwed.

On a different note, is there anything that we need to be sending BC right now aside from Seat Deposits? I know I need to get around to sending out my official transcript, but from what I understand it's not due until Augustish? Any Dean Certification forms? Health insurance drop out? I don't even see the Master Promissory Note yet anywhere on the website.

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Wed May 27, 2009 5:12 pm

^^^^^
I'd have to check on transcipt and health forms, but yeah, I'd assume those are due later on in the summer. The one thing you can do is go ahead and get your financial aid status confirmed--in some cases, depending on what aid you are receiving, this involves sending in your federal 1040 tax return and W2s and those of your parents (even if you filed as an independent...which I still don't get :roll:) Anyway, you can log onto Agora and when you check your "Financial Aid Status" it will show you what they have received form you and what materials you still need to send. These tax forms, btw, go to the Randolph, MA address and not the Newton one iirc, but you should double check that on the financial aid website.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:10 pm

What bank is near BC? Citibank? Bofa? chase?

groundhog

New

Post by groundhog » Thu May 28, 2009 1:03 am

sentinal5656 wrote:What bank is near BC? Citibank? Bofa? chase?
There are Bank of America ATMs on both campuses. In Cleveland Circle there are Bank of America and Citibank. Chase is just about non-existent.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:00 am

groundhog wrote:
There are Bank of America ATMs on both campuses. In Cleveland Circle there are Bank of America and Citibank. Chase is just about non-existent.
u go to bc?

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:00 am

groundhog wrote:

thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

7wood

New

Post by 7wood » Thu May 28, 2009 1:27 pm

What's up BC 2012!!!!

Just wanted to chime in and say I'll be seeing you all there this fall.

Also, I have some info for anyone that's looking to buy a computer for school and is also planning on taking out loans. I just spoke to the fin. aid department, and BC will raise your cost of attendance up to $3,000 for a computer if you want to roll it into your loans. The only catch is you have to buy it yourself, after August 1st, and then bring them the receipt after classes start. And then of course you have to pay for it for the rest of your life, but that's beside the point.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Thu May 28, 2009 2:13 pm

7wood wrote:What's up BC 2012!!!!

Just wanted to chime in and say I'll be seeing you all there this fall.

Also, I have some info for anyone that's looking to buy a computer for school and is also planning on taking out loans. I just spoke to the fin. aid department, and BC will raise your cost of attendance up to $3,000 for a computer if you want to roll it into your loans. The only catch is you have to buy it yourself, after August 1st, and then bring them the receipt after classes start. And then of course you have to pay for it for the rest of your life, but that's beside the point.
Thats really helpful information. Thanks.

Are you going to the graduate housing fair?

7wood

New

Post by 7wood » Thu May 28, 2009 3:13 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:Are you going to the graduate housing fair?
Sadly, no. I'll be stuck at work a few thousand miles away. Hopefully I'll be able to find something good off craigslist or through a locator service or something. I think my biggest problem will be finding a place that will allow two 40 lb dogs.

atmorris0

New

Post by atmorris0 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:08 pm

7wood wrote:
Sadly, no. I'll be stuck at work a few thousand miles away. Hopefully I'll be able to find something good off craigslist or through a locator service or something. I think my biggest problem will be finding a place that will allow two 40 lb dogs.

what kind of dogs? I am also looking for a house apartment that will allow a medium sized dog...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:12 pm

atmorris0 wrote:
7wood wrote:

what kind of dogs? I am also looking for a house apartment that will allow a medium sized dog...

i bet you can easily find something..

7wood

New

Post by 7wood » Thu May 28, 2009 4:30 pm

atmorris0 wrote:what kind of dogs? I am also looking for a house apartment that will allow a medium sized dog...
I've got a golden retriever and a black lab mix. Most of the places I've found allow small dogs, but there's a fair amount that allow medium to large ones too. The real trick will be finding something on the first floor with grass right outside. I have it too easy right now with a dog door and a large yard for them. Boston will definitely be a change.

belligerentfuture

New

Post by belligerentfuture » Thu May 28, 2009 7:16 pm

7wood wrote: The real trick will be finding something on the first floor with grass right outside. I have it too easy right now with a dog door and a large yard for them. Boston will definitely be a change.
Try looking for a first floor apartment in a up/down split duplex in somewhere like West Roxbury or Newton Highlands--those areas are mostly residential neighborhood were all of the housing is tall stand-alone houses split into one apartment on top and one apartment on the bottom that usually have both a front and back porch that lead out to both a front and back yard. You'd probably be able to just let the doggies out the kitchen door to go visit their favorite patch of grass in the back yard.

Google map 115 Redlands Rd West Roxbury, MA and do street view, it will show you what I mean. (My grandparents live in the upstairs apartment of that house :) )

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:44 pm

belligerentfuture wrote:
7wood wrote: The real trick will be finding something on the first floor with grass right outside. I have it too easy right now with a dog door and a large yard for them. Boston will definitely be a change.
Try looking for a first floor apartment in a up/down split duplex in somewhere like West Roxbury or Newton Highlands--those areas are mostly residential neighborhood were all of the housing is tall stand-alone houses split into one apartment on top and one apartment on the bottom that usually have both a front and back porch that lead out to both a front and back yard. You'd probably be able to just let the doggies out the kitchen door to go visit their favorite patch of grass in the back yard.

Google map 115 Redlands Rd West Roxbury, MA and do street view, it will show you what I mean. (My grandparents live in the upstairs apartment of that house :) )

Thats a good idea! THanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

7wood

New

Post by 7wood » Fri May 29, 2009 10:56 am

sentinal5656 wrote:
belligerentfuture wrote:

Thats a good idea! THanks!
+1, thanks!

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:38 am

What happens after you submit your deposit? When do classes start? When is orientation? When do we have to be there?

7wood

New

Post by 7wood » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:07 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:What happens after you submit your deposit? When do classes start? When is orientation? When do we have to be there?
After you submit your deposit they send you an email saying thank you for your money... how nice of them!

Judging by the calendar, it looks like we have to be there August 31st for orientation, with classes starting on the 1st. Supposedly they'll be sending out a packet in June with more detailed info.

Here's the calendar I was looking at:
--LinkRemoved--

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:09 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:What happens after you submit your deposit? When do classes start? When is orientation? When do we have to be there?
August 31
--LinkRemoved--
EDIT: oops, 7Wood beat me to it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”