University of Hawaii at Manoa Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
byu85

University of Hawaii at Manoa Class of 2012

Postby byu85 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:05 pm

Hello all (or should I be saying "Aloha!") Just got my acceptance packet from Hawaii. Although I was set on George Mason before this letter, now I am seriously considering it. I didn't think I really had a chance since I am an out-of-state white male (only 20% of Hawaii Law is white) and because of the fact that they have only a 19% acceptance rate. Anyway, the packet is awesome and the more I look into the school the more excited I am. I lived there last summer, on the north shore, and LOVED everything about Hawaii. It would be hard to turn down Hawaii!

mrman17

Re: University of Hawaii at Manoa Class of 2012

Postby mrman17 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:10 pm

byu85 wrote:Hello all (or should I be saying "Aloha!") Just got my acceptance packet from Hawaii. Although I was set on George Mason before this letter, now I am seriously considering it. I didn't think I really had a chance since I am an out-of-state white male (only 20% of Hawaii Law is white) and because of the fact that they have only a 19% acceptance rate. Anyway, the packet is awesome and the more I look into the school the more excited I am. I lived there last summer, on the north shore, and LOVED everything about Hawaii. It would be hard to turn down Hawaii!

Congrats! I'm hoping that I hear back from them today, but we'll see. I'm also at a disadvantage, being white and from the mainland. I speak Tagalog though and hope that will help me, since Hawaii has a preference for people who have some connection to Southeast Asia. Anyway, that's good news. Hopefully we'll see some more acceptances come in today.

byu85

Postby byu85 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:33 pm

mrman17 wrote:
byu85 wrote:Hello all (or should I be saying "Aloha!") Just got my acceptance packet from Hawaii. Although I was set on George Mason before this letter, now I am seriously considering it. I didn't think I really had a chance since I am an out-of-state white male (only 20% of Hawaii Law is white) and because of the fact that they have only a 19% acceptance rate. Anyway, the packet is awesome and the more I look into the school the more excited I am. I lived there last summer, on the north shore, and LOVED everything about Hawaii. It would be hard to turn down Hawaii!

Congrats! I'm hoping that I hear back from them today, but we'll see. I'm also at a disadvantage, being white and from the mainland. I speak Tagalog though and hope that will help me, since Hawaii has a preference for people who have some connection to Southeast Asia. Anyway, that's good news. Hopefully we'll see some more acceptances come in today.

How did you learn Tagalog? Did you live in the Philippines or did you learn it in school? I speak Malay and Iban because of my 2-year church mission to Malaysia, I think that helped me at Hawaii as well. I also worked at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu while attending summer school at BYU-Hawaii last summer so I am sure that helped me out with my lack of diversity. Good luck though man!

mrman17

Postby mrman17 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:52 pm

byu85 wrote:
mrman17 wrote:

How did you learn Tagalog? Did you live in the Philippines or did you learn it in school? I speak Malay and Iban because of my 2-year church mission to Malaysia, I think that helped me at Hawaii as well. I also worked at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu while attending summer school at BYU-Hawaii last summer so I am sure that helped me out with my lack of diversity. Good luck though man!

I learned Tagalog while serving a two year mission to the Philippines. I later took a class at BYU and tested out of 16 other credits. Malay is an awesome language and is closely related to Tagalog. I'm sure that your PPC experience helped you out too. Anyway, thanks for the well wishes, maybe we'll meet in Hawaii if I'm lucky.

byu85

Postby byu85 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:20 pm

Has nobody else on here heard back from them yet? I need some peeps to help me figure things out
Last edited by byu85 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:23 pm

This is the first time I've seen someone on this board even mention applying there. It seems strangely overlooked for some reason.

j.hodgman

Postby j.hodgman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:01 am

Got my acceptance package in the mail today!

But, no word on scholarships. Anyone receive scholarship info w/ their acceptance? Their tuition is already pretty reasonable (comparatively speaking), but every little bit helps.

BC85

Postby BC85 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Have any other applicants heard from U of H yet? I am getting a very bad feeling about this... :?

mrman17

Postby mrman17 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:49 am

BC85 wrote:Have any other applicants heard from U of H yet? I am getting a very bad feeling about this... :?

I haven't heard yet. I went complete around Jan 20th. I take it as a good sign that I haven't been rejected yet, since Hawaii sent out a LOT of rejection letters two weeks ago. I think that it is encouraging to not be an auto reject. You should take that as a good sign as well. Good luck.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”