UC Davis 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
SadButTrue

New

Re: UC Davis 2012

Post by SadButTrue » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:54 pm

jibstir13 wrote:I'm gonna be making a trip to the school next monday...

probably do a self-guided tour and check out the surrounding area...

any suggestions for a good place to have lunch?..

or neighborhoods to check out for housing?..something like a 2 bedroom condo w/garage and yard if possible...

thanks in advance for any help!
check out davishousing.com. 2 bed condo with garage doesn't sound like something i've ever been in... you'll definitely be able to find a 2 bed duplex with garage, this is a common model in many neighborhoods but a lot of these houses are privately rented. check craigslist. also king property management and acadian management. you'll see that davis is quite small-ish, no real "neighborhoods", referred to as central, south, north, east, west davis. all close enough to the school. central is the older part of town, also closest to school. south and north the newer. the train tracks run north south on H street, if you're looking at stuff around F and J know where they are in relation to your place for noise. Also they run along 80 so know this if you're looking near Olive drive.
If I were you I would walk around downtown to find something to eat. everything downtown is within walking distance from school. Crepeville is good, I personally am only into them for breakfast though, Burgers and Brew is good, Sam's is great and cheap and easy, you should probably just go here: http://daviswiki.org/Restaurants reviews are pretty trustworthy.
Enjoy, hopefully the rain showers will have left by then.

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:42 pm

Seriously, do not rent from Acadian. They're incredibly unprofessional and do everything in their power to screw over their tenants. It's just more trouble and stress than it's worth to have to deal with them. King is a good company though. As far as a place to go for lunch goes, I'd second Burgers & Brew as a really good place. Close to campus, reasonably priced, really good food.

SadButTrue

New

Post by SadButTrue » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm

Splitt3r wrote:Seriously, do not rent from Acadian. They're incredibly unprofessional and do everything in their power to screw over their tenants. It's just more trouble and stress than it's worth to have to deal with them. King is a good company though. As far as a place to go for lunch goes, I'd second Burgers & Brew as a really good place. Close to campus, reasonably priced, really good food.
Honestly, renting anything other than an apartment is a bit stressful. I rented 3 houses while in Davis only one of which wasn't a terrible slum lord type situation and that's because my friend's parents own the place and are super legit Davis residents. So in conclusion... ya I don't know. Be prepared to threaten with law suits, that seems to work, worked for getting our deposit back in full and for getting pest (back widow/ cockroach) treatment.

I'm looking forward to the apartment I rented this year, management on site, full time maintenance people, etc.

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:44 pm

SadButTrue wrote:
Splitt3r wrote:Seriously, do not rent from Acadian. They're incredibly unprofessional and do everything in their power to screw over their tenants. It's just more trouble and stress than it's worth to have to deal with them. King is a good company though. As far as a place to go for lunch goes, I'd second Burgers & Brew as a really good place. Close to campus, reasonably priced, really good food.
Honestly, renting anything other than an apartment is a bit stressful. I rented 3 houses while in Davis only one of which wasn't a terrible slum lord type situation and that's because my friend's parents own the place and are super legit Davis residents. So in conclusion... ya I don't know. Be prepared to threaten with law suits, that seems to work, worked for getting our deposit back in full and for getting pest (back widow/ cockroach) treatment.

I'm looking forward to the apartment I rented this year, management on site, full time maintenance people, etc.
Out of curiosity, SBT, which apartment complex did you rent from?

SadButTrue

New

Post by SadButTrue » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:12 pm

cantstop wrote:
SadButTrue wrote:

Out of curiosity, SBT, which apartment complex did you rent from?
Parkside, on Fstreet near Covell. Not an amazing complex but the price is right for a 3 bed 2 bath and the location is pretty decent. I don't expect anything amazing from this place, but the landscaping is well maintained, the pool, clubhouse and gym room are nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rosieposie

New

Post by rosieposie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:43 pm

i will be posting to this thread with enthusiasm, as soon as i get off the waitlist ;o

pretzellogic

New

Post by pretzellogic » Fri May 01, 2009 3:47 pm

Quick question:

Does anyone know if the second deposit, on June 15th is refundable?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri May 01, 2009 3:51 pm

pretzellogic wrote:Quick question:

I am too lazy to check, but I believe that both are non-refundable.

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Fri May 01, 2009 3:53 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
pretzellogic wrote:Quick question:

I am too lazy to check, but I believe that both are non-refundable.
+1

P.S. Isn't $750 a little on the high end of total seat deposits to be paying? I'm not made of money...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bsoo

New

Post by Bsoo » Fri May 01, 2009 4:12 pm

It's about half of what another school is asking--

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Fri May 01, 2009 4:22 pm

Bsoo wrote:It's about half of what another school is asking--
What school?

Bsoo

New

Post by Bsoo » Fri May 01, 2009 6:07 pm

GW

jibstir13

New

Post by jibstir13 » Fri May 01, 2009 8:57 pm

thanks for all the ideas regarding housing and food...and for breaking down the way davis is set up...i am looking forward to this trip...

are private owned homes for lease really that bad?..sounds like they are poorly maintained and the management companies are a bit shady...is this true?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jenbren

New

Post by jenbren » Sat May 02, 2009 12:41 am

I withdrew today :cry: My husband lost his job and I am my family's only source of income, so leaving my job to pursue a legal education is basically out of the question right now. I am incredibly depressed about this. On the bright side, soon after I submitted my withdrawal, I received a very nice and personal encouraging email from admissions. They were very understanding. I am bummed, but hopefully I will be back next year!

Good luck everyone! I envy you!

SDGirl

New

Post by SDGirl » Sat May 02, 2009 12:50 am

jenbren wrote:I withdrew today :cry: My husband lost his job and I am my family's only source of income, so leaving my job to pursue a legal education is basically out of the question right now. I am incredibly depressed about this. On the bright side, soon after I submitted my withdrawal, I received a very nice and personal encouraging email from admissions. They were very understanding. I am bummed, but hopefully I will be back next year!

Good luck everyone! I envy you!
I'm sorry to hear that, Jen. I'm sure you'll be back next year and will be able to follow your dreams. Good luck. :)

SadButTrue

New

Post by SadButTrue » Sat May 02, 2009 1:17 pm

jibstir13 wrote:thanks for all the ideas regarding housing and food...and for breaking down the way davis is set up...i am looking forward to this trip...

are private owned homes for lease really that bad?..sounds like they are poorly maintained and the management companies are a bit shady...is this true?
It really depends. You'll find something decent. Just take a good look around with a critical eye and ask lots of questions.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:56 pm

I just didn't want to see the UCD2012 thread fall to page 2. Look alive, gang!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Mon May 04, 2009 5:09 pm

Ha. I was just going to bump this thread.

Good news: just secured an apartment! I ended up going with one of the first places I checked out. Although not without some faults ("central" heat and air is really only in the living room/kitchen, and no laundry in the apartment, for ex.) I'm just absolutely relieved to have it over and done with. This probably also says something about what I think my chances are with UCLA-- I still haven't heard back.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon May 04, 2009 5:33 pm

I too am stuck in waitlist purgatory at UCLA (and elsewhere). I figure I will live with my parents in Sacramento for the month of June and if I don't know anything by the end of the month, I'll just go ahead and start looking for a place in Davis in July. I assume the entire month of July is long enough to find a place.

Also, has anyone set up their Davis email yet?

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Mon May 04, 2009 5:39 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:I too am stuck in waitlist purgatory at UCLA (and elsewhere). I figure I will live with my parents in Sacramento for the month of June and if I don't know anything by the end of the month, I'll just go ahead and start looking for a place in Davis in July. I assume the entire month of July is long enough to find a place.

Can we set up Davis e-mail? I thought we had to wait until we were enrolled?

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Tue May 05, 2009 12:24 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:I too am stuck in waitlist purgatory at UCLA (and elsewhere). I figure I will live with my parents in Sacramento for the month of June and if I don't know anything by the end of the month, I'll just go ahead and start looking for a place in Davis in July. I assume the entire month of July is long enough to find a place.

So, I decided to investigate using the website. I'm by no means an expert on the UCD website, but I tried several different ways to see if I could look at my privileges, change my e-mail, etc., and each time I got an error message when I tried to do anything related to e-mail. I guess that answers your question.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Tue May 05, 2009 1:28 pm

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you can't set up you're e-mail yet, because UC Davis took the awesome step of actually disabling my ucdavis.edu e-mail address for a bit there because I was deposited at the law school and they somehow thought that my status as a pending student overrode my status as someone who still needed to access their damn e-mail.

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Tue May 05, 2009 1:37 pm

Splitt3r wrote:I'm going to go ahead and guess that you can't set up you're e-mail yet, because UC Davis took the awesome step of actually disabling my ucdavis.edu e-mail address for a bit there because I was deposited at the law school and they somehow thought that my status as a pending student overrode my status as someone who still needed to access their damn e-mail.
Lame. Double lame. At least you got it resolved.

And, isn't UC Davis law e-mail different than undergrad? Or am I mistaken? I thought they said at ASD that the Law e-mail is essentially gmail, which is good because if it wasn't I would just set it up to forward to my gmail.

rlworld

New

Post by rlworld » Tue May 05, 2009 1:45 pm

cantstop wrote:
Splitt3r wrote:I'm going to go ahead and guess that you can't set up you're e-mail yet, because UC Davis took the awesome step of actually disabling my ucdavis.edu e-mail address for a bit there because I was deposited at the law school and they somehow thought that my status as a pending student overrode my status as someone who still needed to access their damn e-mail.

And, isn't UC Davis law e-mail different than undergrad? Or am I mistaken? I thought they said at ASD that the Law e-mail is essentially gmail, which is good because if it wasn't I would just set it up to forward to my gmail.
Hey guys. Yea, I tried to set up my davis email after ASD when the law tech guy mentioned that our computing account also gave us access to our email. No luck. I emailed the tech center and they said it was because I hadn't paid my seat deposit yet (which I had). So I'm guessing maybe after the June 15th deposit we'll have access?

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Tue May 05, 2009 1:51 pm

cantstop wrote:

The undergrad e-mail is step-up on a gmail platform, so the two e-mails being the same and the law e-mail being "essentially" gmail wouldn't be mutually exclusive.

Btw, I'm almost settled on going to G'town over Davis, I just need to see if the finances are going to work out. Happy and sad at the same time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”