UC Davis 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
SadButTrue

New

Re: UC Davis 2012

Post by SadButTrue » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:46 pm

Thank you LuckyDucky I think you and I will be friends... I am constantly saying rational things and hoping people don't label me as "debbie downer" as well...

Reality check folks - hotness scales (whatever the F hotness is anyway) most likely don't vary from school to school, I have a feeling it's a general bell curve that is pretty much consistent across schools and all populations. With this in mind, maybe don't say anything that will embarrass you or make you look like a total d-bag because once we get to King we will all match up cyber identity with worldly identity. actually maybe ignore that, because i am a judger by nature and would enjoy making shitty judgments about people i don't really know. carry on law school nerds.

edit: also, cantstop. thank you for encouraging thinking before typing.

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:46 pm

Please note that I wasn't actually being serious about my "hotness ranking", and it was actually an inside joke shot at SBL based on a previous situation. I wasn't really paying that much attention to how attractive everyone was, though I must say I don't remember anyone being fantastically beautiful or horrendously ugly in either gender. As someone else said, it was more of just a normal bell curve of attractiveness that one might expect to find in any general population.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:51 pm

I completely agree that we needn't objectify one another; likely we'll all meet during Orientation Week and we should do so without any preordained notions of d-bagginess. Apologies if my comments offended.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:09 pm

Thread is falling, so I figured I'd bump.

Favorite books/movies/music: GO!

econtutornv

New

Post by econtutornv » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:39 pm

Count me in, I'll be heading to Davis come August!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:28 pm

econtutornv wrote:Count me in, I'll be heading to Davis come August!
Awesome, welcome aboard! I'm looking forward to meeting all y'alls at the end of this summer. I'll be around Sacramento all summer too (family is from there, will be waiting tables or something to save a little cash for the semester), so if anyone wants to put together a BBQ in the park or something I'm more than game.

Lior

New

Post by Lior » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:06 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:I completely agree that we needn't objectify one another; likely we'll all meet during Orientation Week and we should do so without any preordained notions of d-bagginess. Apologies if my comments offended.
This response was very gallant, sbl.

At the open house, I saw a poster for each year (1L/2L/3L) w/ individual student photos in yearbook/headshot format. Glanced at the 1Ls & have some good news:
a. the photographer taking our headshots makes us look like models; and
b. the 1L class has some remarkably attractive students, both male and female.

So where in Davis are people planning on living? Someone told me to avoid South Davis, but I don't know why. I had all these fantasies about a reasonably sized place for a good price, but I've since noticed that the low cost of living in Davis does not include low rent.

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:36 pm

Where did you hear that Davis has a low cost of living? Also, avoiding south davis is a somewhat odd concept to me as that's generally a nicer area of town. It does tend to have bigger places though, so you'd almost definitely be in a roommate situation which is something I, at least, am looking to avoid.

Also, I'm down to get together over the summer SBL.

SadButTrue

New

Post by SadButTrue » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:02 pm

signed a lease this morning for an apt on F street by covell with two friends.

anywhere in davis is livable. south davis is nice, it's a "newer" area of town-ish and lots of the complexes and units reflect this newer construction in a positive way. I see nothing wrong with living south of the train tracks. just know that most people will not be living south of the tracks and generally people hang on the north side, but south davis is reasonably accessible, etc.
finding a one bedroom or studio that is reasonably priced is difficult at best... davis housing is basically a racket.
FYI everyone, leases for fall go quick in the adorable little city as people are nutty and begin signing September leases as early as February so it is my experienced recommendation that you consider your living situation with haste.

PS, i was in davis over the weekend and this morning, and it was beautiful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:29 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Favorite books/movies/music: GO!
I'll semi-bite, because I'm curious: What books/movies are people reading and/or watching in preparation for law school? I've heard One-L and A Civil Action (the book not the movie) are good, and The Paper Chase (from 1973) is a must-see. Has anyone read and/or watched these? Heard of anything else worth perusing?

I have my public library's copy of one-L sitting on my bookshelf collecting dust. I haven't decided whether I need to scare myself unnecessarily.

linz

New

Post by linz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:51 pm

Hey everyone-- I got accepted to Davis a couple of weeks ago (after ASD had passed, of course), and I'm about 90% sure Davis is where I'll decide to go. My other options are Wake Forest, Temple, and Florida State (I currently live in Florida). I've wanted to live in California for quite awhile now, even though it will likely be the most expensive option.

I'm heading out in a couple of weeks to visit Davis and the surrounding areas. Hopefully I can take a tour of the school, check out the campus, and possibly look for housing...

I visited temple back in March and loved the school, I'm just unsure about living in Philly-- there are definitely aspects of it that are unattractive to me. Also, it is now ranked 30 places lower than Davis. I don't really know how much weight that should carry in my decision. Florida State at this point is out for me; though it would be my cheapest option by far, I have a very strong desire to get out of Florida and Tallahasse simply doesn't appeal to me. Nearly the same goes for Wake Forest-- I don't think Winston-Salem, NC is appealing either, though I'm willing to go visit.

I'm still on quite a few waitlists and have yet to hear from 3 schools, but I've already put my deposit down for Davis and am just really stoked about it. Maybe I'm acting a bit too rashly considering I haven't even been to visit the school yet.

Any input? Thanks :)

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:40 pm

linz wrote:Hey everyone-- I got accepted to Davis a couple of weeks ago (after ASD had passed, of course), and I'm about 90% sure Davis is where I'll decide to go. My other options are Wake Forest, Temple, and Florida State (I currently live in Florida). I've wanted to live in California for quite awhile now, even though it will likely be the most expensive option.

I'm heading out in a couple of weeks to visit Davis and the surrounding areas. Hopefully I can take a tour of the school, check out the campus, and possibly look for housing...

I visited temple back in March and loved the school, I'm just unsure about living in Philly-- there are definitely aspects of it that are unattractive to me. Also, it is now ranked 30 places lower than Davis. I don't really know how much weight that should carry in my decision. Florida State at this point is out for me; though it would be my cheapest option by far, I have a very strong desire to get out of Florida and Tallahasse simply doesn't appeal to me. Nearly the same goes for Wake Forest-- I don't think Winston-Salem, NC is appealing either, though I'm willing to go visit.

I'm still on quite a few waitlists and have yet to hear from 3 schools, but I've already put my deposit down for Davis and am just really stoked about it. Maybe I'm acting a bit too rashly considering I haven't even been to visit the school yet.

Any input? Thanks :)
So, I must first say that I know very little about the programs at Temple and Wake Forest, so I'm already biased because of my knowledge of Davis's program is so much more thorough, but since I did get to go to ASD, I can tell you what I got out of it, and why it made me really excited about attending Davis:

1. Community. Everyone emphasized that the law school is a community, rather than some cut-throat type of environment in which everyone is out for him/herself. I believe that Davis has received some flack for "spoon-feeding" its first years (which essentially means that they help 1L's through the first year, rather than letting everyone fend for him/herself), but that doesn't bother me because I'm terrified about 1L and any help making it less traumatic is ok by me. Davis still ranks rather high amongst its peers, so its not like the 1L approach is hurting the quality of Davis's graduates.

I can't fail to mention how close students get to one another, the social aspects of the school (bowling league, YES!), and the candor I witnessed among student panelists as well as students who were there for other reasons. They all knew each other and seemed to like each other. I know that they were the "creme de la creme," so to speak, but they all really seemed to like Davis.

The school is the smallest of the UCs (besides Irvine). There are only 580ish students in the whole school. This translates to smaller sections/modules/whatever-you-want-to-call-them your first year, which = smaller classes, more individualized attention by your profs and a better opportunity to meet and connect with people your year.

2. Professors who enjoy teaching. I was spoiled by my undergrad institution, which was both fairly prestigious but also valued and promoted teaching with its faculty. I had dinners with professors, sometimes met their families, and felt that they were interested and found value in my life and what I wanted to do with it. The idea of giving that up for law school is not appealing. Everyone was very clear that at Davis, professors are approachable and enjoy teaching. The double benefit to this is that maybe classes won't be as god-awful boring if the professors teaching them aren't also wishing they were somewhere else, doing research or writing for a scholarly publication.

3. Location. Davis is a rural town, in a rural county of Northern California. This means fewer distractions all around you all the time. This doesn't mean that you can't get to the big metro areas of NorCal. Sacramento is 20 minutes away. SF is an hour's drive. The only other law schools in Sacramento are far inferior to Davis, giving Davis students the pick of the litter in terms of government internships, externships and jobs. The bonus is that Davis is home to a world-class university, and has the resources of a world-class university. The city is student-friendly and bike-friendly. The weather is great, which makes this place even more ideal.

4. (For me) Commitment to social justice. The place is named after MLK, for crying out loud. It offers a public interest certificate, a social justice concentration, and has very well-respected clinics in Civil Rights, Immigration, and Prison Law. It has a great moot court program.

5. The California legal community. California has one of the largest economies of any of the states in the US, which means there are far more opportunities to find jobs in more obscure parts of the legal world. Davis fits into the CA legal world and is very well-respected, alums are everywhere, and California is a BIG place with lots of opportunities.

Downsides:

1. The law school itself is housed in an older building undergoing construction. It won't be done until at least next winter.

2. They have an a capella group called "Law Capella." I have pretty much had it with a capella (my undergrad had like 30 groups. I kid you not).

3. The state budget of California is such that the $3,000+ tuition increase at Davis between 08-09 and 09-10 will likely continue on in our second and third years. $33,000/yr in-state tuition is hardly a bargain for a state school.

There's probably more but this feels like an essay and I doubt you wanted all that. So, good luck, and I hope you choose Davis!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:43 pm

I am going to be living with my parents in Sacramento all summer, so I am going to try and take my time and find a really sweet place some time in June or July.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:44 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:I am going to be living with my parents in Sacramento all summer, so I am going to try and take my time and find a really sweet place some time in June or July.
And when I do: C/o 2012 BBQ!

econtutornv

New

Post by econtutornv » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:57 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:I am going to be living with my parents in Sacramento all summer, so I am going to try and take my time and find a really sweet place some time in June or July.
And when I do: C/o 2012 BBQ!
Count me in, SBL! I live just over the hill in Reno and I'll gladly take a drive to meet up with some of my soon to be classmates.

linz

New

Post by linz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:43 am

Cantstop,

That was really helpful; I was really interested to know what ASD was like. I appreciate your input, and I don't mind that it's kind of a mini-essay :)

With regard to location: you're right (at least from what I know and have researched, since I have never actually been to Davis), it's a small rural town, and this provides for less distractions. Does this also translate to when you [DO have free time, there isn't much to do? I don't want to be in a big city, but I'd like there to be some sort of nightlife/activities to do when I'm not swimming in books. I'm wondering how realistic it is to expect to make trips to some of the amazing places around Davis (SF, Napa, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe even).

One other concern I have is this, and I'm not sure how much you or anyone else may know about it, but I'll gladly read some opinions :) I am extremely interested in trial ad. I want to participate in moot court. Temple has the second best trial ad. program in the nation. When I went to visit the school, I was really impressed with what they have going on in that area. If I go to Davis, will I be exposed to the type of practice and training they provide in a program that is number 2, even though the school itself is ranked 30 spots lower? Does it make a difference? I suppose I could say it doesn't really matter since I know I want to be in California and not Philadelphia, and though I may be a bomb-ass trial lawyer coming out of Temple, my job opportunities would pretty much be limited to Philly and maybe NY and DC....

Bowling league sounds fun, though I'm terrible. I think I read somewhere they also have a softball league, which I'd love to join if I can find my glove....

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:57 pm

linz wrote:Cantstop,

That was really helpful; I was really interested to know what ASD was like. I appreciate your input, and I don't mind that it's kind of a mini-essay :)

With regard to location: you're right (at least from what I know and have researched, since I have never actually been to Davis), it's a small rural town, and this provides for less distractions. Does this also translate to when you [DO have free time, there isn't much to do? I don't want to be in a big city, but I'd like there to be some sort of nightlife/activities to do when I'm not swimming in books. I'm wondering how realistic it is to expect to make trips to some of the amazing places around Davis (SF, Napa, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe even).

One other concern I have is this, and I'm not sure how much you or anyone else may know about it, but I'll gladly read some opinions :) I am extremely interested in trial ad. I want to participate in moot court. Temple has the second best trial ad. program in the nation. When I went to visit the school, I was really impressed with what they have going on in that area. If I go to Davis, will I be exposed to the type of practice and training they provide in a program that is number 2, even though the school itself is ranked 30 spots lower? Does it make a difference? I suppose I could say it doesn't really matter since I know I want to be in California and not Philadelphia, and though I may be a bomb-ass trial lawyer coming out of Temple, my job opportunities would pretty much be limited to Philly and maybe NY and DC....

Bowling league sounds fun, though I'm terrible. I think I read somewhere they also have a softball league, which I'd love to join if I can find my glove....
I am going to send you a PM re: one of the panelists who I think you should e-mail. I thought it would be less than ideal to put his contact info on a public forum.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SadButTrue

New

Post by SadButTrue » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:36 pm

As far as the City of Davis I'm from the Bay area but have lived in Davis for 5 years. I don't find the rural-ness of Davis to mean there isn't enough to do. Davis is a lively town where people are out and about all day every day. There are a million things to do outdoors locally, amazing restaurants, and several bars. For dancing, etc. 20 minutes to downtown Sac and you'll have an array of "nightclubs" to choose from. Davisites take advantage of the proximity to Tahoe often and there is a strong outdoor enthusiast population. My friends and I have been regular backpackers and snow sportspeople through our college careers, during the winters we make trips to Tahoe at least one weekend a month. Also, the Bay area is a short car or train ride and many people do SF party weekends of head there for particular activities like Bay to Breakers, concerts, New Years, etc. Weekends in the wine country are an awesome way to drink away school woes as well as Napa is about 45 minutes away.
Hope this helps and I swear I am not being paid by UCD to say this.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:35 pm

1. Davis is basically a suburb of Sacramento, which is a pretty big city (population roughly 400,000 with about 1,500,000 in the metro area), so it's not like you're going to be all that far from cities and related activities. The Bay Area is also really close. Berkeley is only about an hour away, add another 20-30 minutes (depending on traffic) for SF. Tahoe is a bit of a strike (over 2 hours driving), but still pretty doable. As for the Wine Country, it's pretty close too (1-2 hours off, depending on where you want to go), but, as someone who has been there countless times and has family there, I really don't see the draw of watching grapes grow. You're better off buying your wine at Trader Joe's in Sacramento and then driving somewhere more fun.

2. I would LOVE to do IM bowling even though I am a super crappy bowler, so as long as people don't care much about talent, I'm in. Also, softball sounds like a lot of fun. Since people at King Hall seem to like sports, I suggest that we plan some kind of thing for Orientation Week involving grilling and a big game of touch football.

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:55 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:

1. Davis is basically a suburb of Sacramento, which is a pretty big city (population roughly 400,000 with about 1,500,000 in the metro area), so it's not like you're going to be all that far from cities and related activities. The Bay Area is also really close. Berkeley is only about an hour away, add another 20-30 minutes (depending on traffic) for SF. Tahoe is a bit of a strike (over 2 hours driving), but still pretty doable. As for the Wine Country, it's pretty close too (1-2 hours off, depending on where you want to go), but, as someone who has been there countless times and has family there, I really don't see the draw of watching grapes grow. You're better off buying your wine at Trader Joe's in Sacramento and then driving somewhere more fun.

2. I would LOVE to do IM bowling even though I am a super crappy bowler, so as long as people don't care much about talent, I'm in. Also, softball sounds like a lot of fun. Since people at King Hall seem to like sports, I suggest that we plan some kind of thing for Orientation Week involving grilling and a big game of touch football.
I much preferred the Davis nightlife to Sacramento. If you go to a club in Sacramento the number of guys wearing Affliction shirts increases dramatically.

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:12 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

I much preferred the Davis nightlife to Sacramento. If you go to a club in Sacramento the number of guys wearing Affliction shirts increases dramatically.
I've been to Davis overnight only a couple of times... and compared to big cities the options for nightlife are more confined to more than a handful of bars (some with dancing-- although to call them "clubs" would probably be a bit insulting to people who go there), fraternity/sorority events/parties, and a lot of delicious late-night food establishments that really hit the spot after a night of drinking. Its definitely WAY less than what I've come to expect living in the bay area, but it seems like there will be several solid options whenever I need a quick break from studying and some social interaction. There are definitely choices here. There are over 31,000 students attending UC Davis (Grad and Undergrad) and with at least one-third above drinking age, there are bound to be places for just about any preference.

And, I must agree, that for being seemingly in a rural location, if one simply glances at a map one can realize just how close Davis is to so many different types of places. What people may not understand, if they aren't native Californians, is that "close" in California oftentimes translates to a one- or two-hour drive. My guess is that at least two-thirds of our classmates will have vehicles (myself included) so getting places that require a drive really won't be that difficult.

I would love for Davis to get Zipcar. I could consider selling my car and then just use Zipcar when I'm desperate for wheels. But that's another discussion entirely.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:21 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

Sacramento is definitely not a college town, the wrong bars on the wrong nights can give a very New Jersey vibe.

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:46 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:
Sacramento is definitely not a college town, the wrong bars on the wrong nights can give a very New Jersey vibe.
Both of statements are true, and the bolded is especially annoying/disturbing.

Lior

New

Post by Lior » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:43 pm

Splitt3r wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:
Both of statements are true, and the bolded is especially annoying/disturbing.
--ImageRemoved--

jibstir13

New

Post by jibstir13 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 am

I'm gonna be making a trip to the school next monday...

probably do a self-guided tour and check out the surrounding area...

any suggestions for a good place to have lunch?..

or neighborhoods to check out for housing?..something like a 2 bedroom condo w/garage and yard if possible...

thanks in advance for any help!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”