UC Davis 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)

Diamond

Re: UC Davis 2012

Post by 20160810 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:21 pm

glacierfrost wrote:Also, hella cockroaches in the summer. They tend to invade your house especially at night time. Beware.
:?: :?: I lived in Sacramento (10 minutes away from Davis, so not too different fauna-wise) for 21 years and think I saw maybe 1 cockroach that whole time. Are you sure you didn't just keep your house dirty?

jenbren

New

Post by jenbren » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:19 pm

I was just accepted on Friday. I will most likley be accepting the offer. I live in Walnut Creek now and I'm thinking about just commuting to Davis. I commute to SF everyday for work now and Davis really isn't that much more of a haul. I am super exicted and ready to re-enter the academic world.

Is anyone else concerned about the extreme current shortage of summer associate positions? I mean, just a few years ago it was relatively easy for 1L from Davis to land a summer job with decent firms in SF and the SV. Now, all the firms are really cutting back and some are even tanking (Heller Ehrman, Thelen, etc).

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:30 am

Commuting from Walnut Creek during 1L seems like a bad idea if for no other reason than you have to live in Walnut Creek for another year. Seriously, there's nothing to do there. Also, not to be presumptuous, but unless you have a pretty sweet job right now you're probably living with your parents. That's certainly not something I'd want to be doing in law school.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:32 am

Splitt3r wrote:Commuting from Walnut Creek during 1L seems like a bad idea if for no other reason than you have to live in Walnut Creek for another year. Seriously, there's nothing to do there. Also, not to be presumptuous, but unless you have a pretty sweet job right now you're probably living with your parents. That's certainly not something I'd want to be doing in law school.
Yeah I'm not even commuting from Sac. Living in Davis FTW.

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:44 am

jenbren wrote:I was just accepted on Friday. I will most likley be accepting the offer. I live in Walnut Creek now and I'm thinking about just commuting to Davis. I commute to SF everyday for work now and Davis really isn't that much more of a haul. I am super exicted and ready to re-enter the academic world.

Is anyone else concerned about the extreme current shortage of summer associate positions? I mean, just a few years ago it was relatively easy for 1L from Davis to land a summer job with decent firms in SF and the SV. Now, all the firms are really cutting back and some are even tanking (Heller Ehrman, Thelen, etc).
yeah, the student panel at open house basically said that there are very few commuters during first year, mostly because you'll need every possible moment in the library. They also said the law school's social life is centered in Davis as well. They strongly recommended living in Davis.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:46 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:Also, hella cockroaches in the summer. They tend to invade your house especially at night time. Beware.
:?: :?: I lived in Sacramento (10 minutes away from Davis, so not too different fauna-wise) for 21 years and think I saw maybe 1 cockroach that whole time. Are you sure you didn't just keep your house dirty?

lol yeah. I haven't seen a cockroach ever in Sac or Davis and I've lived here my whole life.

rlworld

New

Post by rlworld » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:20 pm

aquarium_drinker wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
aquarium_drinker wrote:You need a pc or a mac that can run a windows OS. The exam software runs strictly in a windows environment.

On the bright side, it's a good excuse to pick up that new MacBook you've had your eye on.
I bought my MacBook in October 2008, so I'm pretty sure it'll be dandy to run whatever I need.
I'm making a beeline for the mac store as soon as that first student aid check comes in.

Do you guys know if that 'back to school' special that apple had last year where you get a rebate on an ipod if you purchase a new mac happens every year? I was planning on waiting bc i really need a new ipod lol. :)

stonepeep

Bronze

Post by stonepeep » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:22 pm

Splitt3r wrote:Commuting from Walnut Creek during 1L seems like a bad idea if for no other reason than you have to live in Walnut Creek for another year. Seriously, there's nothing to do there. Also, not to be presumptuous, but unless you have a pretty sweet job right now you're probably living with your parents. That's certainly not something I'd want to be doing in law school.
Speak for yourself! Walnut Creek is awesome. Also, I'm not sure why you assume that one would either have to live with their parents or have a "pretty sweet" job to live there. My job is far from sweet and I've lived in Walnut Creek (and other parts of the Bay Area) on my own for years.

I would not commute from Walnut Creek to Davis though. The traffic on 80 is often horrendous through Fairfield and Vacaville and it doesn't seem to matter when you go. Don't do it!

jenbren

New

Post by jenbren » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:20 pm

Splitt3r wrote:
Commuting from Walnut Creek during 1L seems like a bad idea if for no other reason than you have to live in Walnut Creek for another year. Seriously, there's nothing to do there. Also, not to be presumptuous, but unless you have a pretty sweet job right now you're probably living with your parents. That's certainly not something I'd want to be doing in law school.
You really shouldn't be so presumptuous. I have a very sweet job, own my house and have two children. That is why I am inclined to stay in WC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:32 pm

jenbren wrote:
Splitt3r wrote:
You really shouldn't be so presumptuous. I have a very sweet job, own my house and have two children. That is why I am inclined to stay in WC.
I think in your case it might be the right decision, given the economic climate, etc. But, maybe you should consider renting a room somewhere in Davis that you can use M-Th nights or something so you don't have to log so many miles (and hours) going back and forth. Although, not seeing your kids might make this suggestion absolutely unacceptable.

Good luck either way!

luckygehrig

New

Post by luckygehrig » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:40 pm

/
Last edited by luckygehrig on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aquarium_drinker

New

Post by aquarium_drinker » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Seat deposit paid.

Phew.

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:46 pm

aquarium_drinker wrote:Seat deposit paid.

Phew.
+1. This morning. (Although I still need to save up the $500 due in June...)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Woot! Got some folks officially a part of the crew.

google

New

Post by google » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:55 pm

For someone looking to practice in Southern California (i.e., Orange County, San Diego, Los Angeles), would they be better served attending UC Davis or University of San Diego assuming tuition is the same for both?

Asking for a friend.

SadButTrue

New

Post by SadButTrue » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:47 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

lol yeah. I haven't seen a cockroach ever in Sac or Davis and I've lived here my whole life.
Actually there are roaches in Davis... it's very strange. They walk the sidewalks at night, but they're friendly. Limit the piles of damp clothes in bathrooms/ laundry rooms and garages and keep some roach motels through the house... You'll be fine. Think of them as roommates. Like Joe's Apartment http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116707/

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:12 pm

google wrote:For someone looking to practice in Southern California (i.e., Orange County, San Diego, Los Angeles), would they be better served attending UC Davis or University of San Diego assuming tuition is the same for both?

Asking for a friend.
UCD.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kimins

New

Post by kimins » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:54 am

i'm withdrawing tomorrow---good-bye davis..........it's so hard to withdraw--all that hard work haha but it must be done!

google

New

Post by google » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:46 pm

kimins wrote:i'm withdrawing tomorrow---good-bye davis..........it's so hard to withdraw--all that hard work haha but it must be done!
All we are is just dust in the wind. :(

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:53 pm

SadButTrue wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

Actually there are roaches in Davis... it's very strange. They walk the sidewalks at night, but they're friendly. Limit the piles of damp clothes in bathrooms/ laundry rooms and garages and keep some roach motels through the house... You'll be fine. Think of them as roommates. Like Joe's Apartment http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116707/

Oh, I realize that there are roaches in Davis. Roaches live pretty much everywhere in the world. I'm just saying, I've never seen them inside my house nor had any problems with them. Keep your house clean and it shouldn't be an issue.

Lior

New

Post by Lior » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:39 am

cantstop wrote:
aquarium_drinker wrote:Seat deposit paid.

Phew.
+1. This morning. (Although I still need to save up the $500 due in June...)
I ponied up the $250 today and am now seriously excited about Davis. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lior

New

Post by Lior » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:15 am

frank_the_tank wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

Oh, I realize that there are roaches in Davis. Roaches live pretty much everywhere in the world. I'm just saying, I've never seen them inside my house nor had any problems with them. Keep your house clean and it shouldn't be an issue.

Didn't roaches survive geological mass-extinction events? Probably they exist in present-day Davis, CA, and other places on earth not underwater or on fire. Like Frank said, clean your kitchen.

Speaking of pests, someone tell me there aren't mosquitoes in Davis.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:14 pm

Mosquitoes are actually a much bigger problem in Sacramento, which is basically a flat basin, surrounded by wetlands, where two big rivers converge. Historically, the city has been at the forefront of mosquito control and as such the problem is now almost nonexistant. Davis is even better.

Your biggest worry is going to be rabid kangaroos. They're all over the place.

Lior

New

Post by Lior » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:52 pm

It's duck mating season that I could really do without.

So is everyone going to join the law school softball league? A 3L at the open house said it was his favorite part of law school.

aquarium_drinker

New

Post by aquarium_drinker » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:56 pm

Lior wrote:It's duck mating season that I could really do without.

So is everyone going to join the law school softball league? A 3L at the open house said it was his favorite part of law school.
The Nevernudes are a heavy favorite to win it all next year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”