University of Denver 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mrcourt123

New

Re: University of Denver 2012

Post by mrcourt123 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:18 pm

BWOD wrote:
jenniferdu wrote: Ive lived here for 5 years without a car and sometimes its a pain in the ass (mostly for groceries) but I have never had any problems getting anywhere.
TITCR. Safeway is a half mile away so it is walkable. Whole Foods is a couple miles away.

That said, you could probably borrow someones car to do just about anything in town (I have borrowed someone's car and allowed people to borrow my car) DU is that type of place. :) not that I am lobbying or anything.
Glad to finally see people discussing DU, places to live, etc. I'm pretty clueless on places to live too and will likely be posting on here asking for help in the future.

BWOD and Jennifer, while we're on the topic of how students help each other out at DU, I have a general question about the law students if anyone can answer. Basically, I couldn't really get a sense of the students when I visited because there didn't seem to be many hanging around the building (on a Friday afternoon). So, anyone have any info on competitiveness, friendliness, how social the law students are, etc.? Our tour guide gave the standard, "no one rips pages out of books and we all help each other out" line. Just curious if anyone else can attest to this.

jenniferdu

New

Post by jenniferdu » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:26 pm

I didnt go to law school at DU. Im at DU for my LLM so I cant attest to that. I do know some people I can ask when I am at class tonight and I can get back to you.

mrcourt123

New

Post by mrcourt123 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:29 pm

jenniferdu wrote:I didnt go to law school at DU. Im at DU for my LLM so I cant attest to that. I do know some people I can ask when I am at class tonight and I can get back to you.
Solid - thanks.

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:50 pm

mrcourt123 wrote:
BWOD wrote:
jenniferdu wrote: Ive lived here for 5 years without a car and sometimes its a pain in the ass (mostly for groceries) but I have never had any problems getting anywhere.
TITCR. Safeway is a half mile away so it is walkable. Whole Foods is a couple miles away.

That said, you could probably borrow someones car to do just about anything in town (I have borrowed someone's car and allowed people to borrow my car) DU is that type of place. :) not that I am lobbying or anything.
Glad to finally see people discussing DU, places to live, etc. I'm pretty clueless on places to live too and will likely be posting on here asking for help in the future.

BWOD and Jennifer, while we're on the topic of how students help each other out at DU, I have a general question about the law students if anyone can answer. Basically, I couldn't really get a sense of the students when I visited because there didn't seem to be many hanging around the building (on a Friday afternoon). So, anyone have any info on competitiveness, friendliness, how social the law students are, etc.? Our tour guide gave the standard, "no one rips pages out of books and we all help each other out" line. Just curious if anyone else can attest to this.
I don't know about competitiveness especially but while in undergrad a friend of mine invited me to a few talks and everyone seemed really nice and friendly. Also, I was at the law school for lunch a couple times and the commons was busy with people chatting about weekend plans, classes, and the like. It seemed like a high school cafeteria actually.

When I sat in on a class a couple people were missing so someone picked up the hypo the class did that day for them.

That said, around finals time all was super quite and super serious. So, from an outside prospective: they have a good time but buckle down when necessary.

That's all I got.

uhoh

New

Post by uhoh » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:45 pm

I was just over at the law school today, scoping a few things out. Had lunch and eavesdropped on some of the 1Ls discussing their classes and final exams coming up. Everyone over there seems extremely friendly, I couldn't agree more with those of you who have said that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:51 pm

Does anyone know about when we should be receiving our financial aid packages from Denver? If unsure, I'll make a call, but I figured I check amongst students first before I harass them.

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:05 pm

Last edited by BWOD on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:07 pm

Ohh...I sort of forgot about that WebCentral thing. Did you get a paper copy?

I had mine in on Jan 1, so I should have probably gotten it by now.

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:11 pm

annapavlova wrote:Ohh...I sort of forgot about that WebCentral thing. Did you get a paper copy?

I did not get a paper copy. I got mine in on Jan 1 as well so your info will be up there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uhoh

New

Post by uhoh » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:38 pm

BWOD wrote:
annapavlova wrote:Ohh...I sort of forgot about that WebCentral thing. Did you get a paper copy?

I did not get a paper copy. I got mine in on Jan 1 as well so your info will be up there.
I got a paper copy, but mine isn't on WebCentral yet -- so I'm guessing this might be something like admissions decisions where it varies a lot. ;)

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:48 pm

uhoh wrote:
BWOD wrote:

I got a paper copy, but mine isn't on WebCentral yet -- so I'm guessing this might be something like admissions decisions where it varies a lot. ;)
I wouldn't be suprised. I did get an estimated financial aid letter that said where the money will be coming from. But I do think when the final package comes you have to go on WebCentral and accept or decline the aid offers. Is this the one you are talking about uhoh?

uhoh

New

Post by uhoh » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:11 am

BWOD wrote:I wouldn't be suprised. I did get an estimated financial aid letter that said where the money will be coming from. But I do think when the final package comes you have to go on WebCentral and accept or decline the aid offers. Is this the one you are talking about uhoh?
Yep -- the official letter in the mail advised me to go on WebCentral and accept (or decline) the offer, but when I went on WebCentral, it said I didn't have any awards to display for '09-'10. That was about three weeks ago. Still nothing. I should call them one of these days. (I'm turning into such a slacker, must eradicate this habit before August!)

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:16 am

uhoh wrote:
BWOD wrote:I wouldn't be suprised. I did get an estimated financial aid letter that said where the money will be coming from. But I do think when the final package comes you have to go on WebCentral and accept or decline the aid offers. Is this the one you are talking about uhoh?
Yep -- the official letter in the mail advised me to go on WebCentral and accept (or decline) the offer, but when I went on WebCentral, it said I didn't have any awards to display for '09-'10. That was about three weeks ago. Still nothing. I should call them one of these days. (I'm turning into such a slacker, must eradicate this habit before August!)
I haven't gotten the official letter yet. I wonder why? I also can't access WebCentral now for some reason. Sigh.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:13 am

annapavlova wrote:
uhoh wrote: Yep -- the official letter in the mail advised me to go on WebCentral and accept (or decline) the offer, but when I went on WebCentral, it said I didn't have any awards to display for '09-'10. That was about three weeks ago. Still nothing. I should call them one of these days. (I'm turning into such a slacker, must eradicate this habit before August!)
I haven't gotten the official letter yet. I wonder why? I also can't access WebCentral now for some reason. Sigh.
Yeah WebCentral is a tough nut to crack.

It you got to the myweb tab instead of the icoming student tab and then banner service, there is a financial aid section. Look through that to find the info.
That's why I did when the first screen said the fin aid info wasn't available.

If that doesn't work, I'd call.

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:21 pm

Okay, my boredom at work got the best of me. So to all those going to DU what class first year are you looking forward to most and why?

Also, what's your plan if you get Prof. Marsh for civ pro? (For those not at the ASD she mentioned how she likes to give a test the second or third week :shock: )

mikek1323

New

Post by mikek1323 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:39 pm

A test 2nd or 3rd week?!??!?! is that like something that ever happens at law school. That would be kind of horrifying....BWOD can you clarify something since u were at ASD. I heard that there are "like no friday classes". What does that mean exactly, are there literally none or is there one, two? any ideas?
"

mrcourt123

New

Post by mrcourt123 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:24 pm

I was at the ASD and it just seemed to be a general consensus that there aren't many Friday classes. I got the sense that there are classes on Friday, just not many.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:15 am

mrcourt123 wrote:I was at the ASD and it just seemed to be a general consensus that there aren't many Friday classes. I got the sense that there are classes on Friday, just not many.
TITCR. One student said her section didn't have a Friday class all year her 1L. But they do have a small number of classes on Fridays. Unfourtantely, first year it is all luck to see when your classes are though.

mikek1323

New

Post by mikek1323 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:10 pm

you guys should check out the SCOL group on webcentral if you haven't already, and/or the facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7 ... 100&ref=mf

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:49 am

I'm curious about the student health insurance. That shit is expensive - but, so is private health insurance. Does the student health insurance provide good coverage? Does it include dental? Is the deductible high?

mrcourt123

New

Post by mrcourt123 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:59 am

annapavlova wrote:I'm curious about the student health insurance. That shit is expensive - but, so is private health insurance. Does the student health insurance provide good coverage? Does it include dental? Is the deductible high?
Good question. I noticed it was mosre costly than other schools. Anyone know the answer?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:38 am

mrcourt123 wrote:
annapavlova wrote:I'm curious about the student health insurance. That shit is expensive - but, so is private health insurance. Does the student health insurance provide good coverage? Does it include dental? Is the deductible high?
Good question. I noticed it was mosre costly than other schools. Anyone know the answer?
I actually never had to really use it while in undergrad so I can't get a good answer. Whenever I had an issue I just went to see a doctor at the health center and that took care of it. I didn't have to pay for those visits.

That said I had no hospitalizations or scrips so I don't know about how those are handled.

But yeah it's expensive. I am actually looking for outside coverage that is hopefully cheaper. However, here are links I found to DU provided information about the health insurance:

http://www.du.edu/duhealth/general/insurance/

http://www.du.edu/duhealth/pdfs/08-09_H ... ochure.pdf

Hope that helps.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:59 am

Thanks for the brochures. I have a lot of experience with health and dental benefits from working in my company's HR department, and from what I can discern, Denver probably has some of the best coverage I've ever seen at a university. The benefits of doing that over private HMO or PPO coverage are staggering. Though the premium may be lower, you'll end up paying out your ass for any medical needs that go beyond the most basic care. For someone who is accident/illness prone like me, I highly suggest doing that insurance over private. It'll be pricey but if you need any kind of exam or medical test, you'll end up paying more than what you would for Denver's premium in the first place.

The only thing that concerned me was the maximum prescription coverage - only $1000? For someone who is diabetic or something else that requires a lot of medication every month, this could get hairy. I'm going to inquire about more info, and I'll post my results.

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:17 am

annapavlova wrote:Thanks for the brochures. I have a lot of experience with health and dental benefits from working in my company's HR department, and from what I can discern, Denver probably has some of the best coverage I've ever seen at a university. The benefits of doing that over private HMO or PPO coverage are staggering. Though the premium may be lower, you'll end up paying out your ass for any medical needs that go beyond the most basic care. For someone who is accident/illness prone like me, I highly suggest doing that insurance over private. It'll be pricey but if you need any kind of exam or medical test, you'll end up paying more than what you would for Denver's premium in the first place.

The only thing that concerned me was the maximum prescription coverage - only $1000? For someone who is diabetic or something else that requires a lot of medication every month, this could get hairy. I'm going to inquire about more info, and I'll post my results.
Thanks. That really helps because I've never really concerned myself with things like that. Bad, I know, but what can you do.

Tehpokerstar

New

Post by Tehpokerstar » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:02 pm

My status updater said decision processed. Does anyone have any experience if this changes to decision accepted or denied on the website? Anyone know any ways of finding out the decision without calling them over the phone since they aren't allowed to give decisions that way?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”