University of Denver 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
BWOD

New

Re: University of Denver 2012

Post by BWOD » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:08 am

mrcourt123 wrote:
mrcourt123 wrote:
BWOD wrote:
mikek1323 wrote:Yay for Denver going up 11 in the new USNWR rankings, and 9th on the part time is pretty solid. And CU went down 13 spots :lol:
???? Where are you getting your information? Granted that would be nice, but new rankings aren't supposed to come out until Thursday so I will withhold celebration until then.

I'd like to know too. This would make me happy.
Never mind. I'm all caught up now. It's pretty early in the am. I guess these leaked rankings look pretty legit, even though I've only seen a pic of the cover, no scan of the actual rankings.
....I spoke before I read the other threads.
Last edited by BWOD on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:16 am

Okay you were correct and I spoke to soon. My apologies. Hopefully that doesn't happen too often. Like in class if we are in the same section. :)

mrcourt123

New

Post by mrcourt123 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:19 am

BWOD wrote:
Okay you were correct and I spoke to soon. My apologies. Hopefully that doesn't happen too often. Like in class if we are in the same section. :)
No worries, it took me a while to figure out what was going on too. Although I didn't make my decision based on rankings, I feel slightly better about choosing Denver over Syracuse at this point. Surprised to see SU fall out of the top 100.

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:21 am

mrcourt123 wrote:
mrcourt123 wrote:
BWOD wrote:
mikek1323 wrote:Yay for Denver going up 11 in the new USNWR rankings, and 9th on the part time is pretty solid. And CU went down 13 spots :lol:
???? Where are you getting your information? Granted that would be nice, but new rankings aren't supposed to come out until Thursday so I will withhold celebration until then.

I'd like to know too. This would make me happy.
Never mind. I'm all caught up now. It's pretty early in the am. I guess these leaked rankings look pretty legit, even though I've only seen a pic of the cover, no scan of the actual rankings.
Link?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:26 am

mrcourt123 wrote:
BWOD wrote:
No worries, it took me a while to figure out what was going on too. Although I didn't make my decision based on rankings, I feel slightly better about choosing Denver over Syracuse at this point. Surprised to see SU fall out of the top 100.
Yeah I would too. I am suprised that any law school would fall out of the top 100. I guess that the competition is fierce.

I am also glad that you're going to DU, we can have a little TLS clan there since there doesn't to seem to be any current students on this site. And hopefully we can battle for the top spots in the class.

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:40 am

Ahem, never mind.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:36 am

WOW - go Denver!
Last edited by annapavlova on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uhoh

New

Post by uhoh » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:07 am

Happy for Denver, but it's making my decision harder!

(If I go to law school in the fall, I'm definitely going to Denver -- but my husband is struggling to find a job, and our financial situation is growing more tedious by the day. I'm thinking about deferring. But every time I think I've made up my mind, something else comes up and I go back to undecided mode. Gah!)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:11 am

annapavlova wrote:WOW - go Denver! I was on the fence before, but am now teetering a little more toward DU.
While it would be nice to have a ballet lover at DU, I am of the opinion that rankings should matter little in the final. Rather it should based on how you feel about the school. But that's just me.

That said, I am smiling a little on the inside the the snotty admins at CU who waitlisted me just fell as far as they did. :)

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:25 am

Well I'm only considering Denver more strongly because the school that I was considering against it fell into T3 :(. And I was only considering against because of cost - like I said, not sure yet, but I guess I'll just have to see how this all works out.

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:44 am

Last edited by BWOD on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:48 am

BWOD wrote:
annapavlova wrote:Well I'm only considering Denver more strongly because the school that I was considering against it fell into T3 :(. And I was only considering against because of cost - like I said, not sure yet, but I guess I'll just have to see how this all works out.
Well yeah I'd have a big debate about that one too. Have you visted Denver? (You may have commented on this before but I don't remember) and did you put down your seat deposit?

If price is the only thing keeping you I would say with all the repayment options (income contingent and the like) that you'll have the ability to pay back your loans rather easily. I only want a government job and don't feel as if I'll be a pauper the rest of my life.

My two cents.
I have visited Denver - it's beautiful and I love it, and I did put my seat deposit down just in case. Glad I did!

I also want a government job and feel comfortable with the debt load to SOME degree. I'm hoping to get a scholarship match, but with the new rankings...well I just don't know. Still, it's a good enough school (for me) that I would still consider strongly with or without.

They also appear to have a lot of scholarship options for 2L and 3L students.

I'm not fond of the NO working during 1L rule though...I hoped to work in the library or something for like 10 hours a week. I don't want to use my loan money to buy shampoo. I suppose there are going to be trade-offs that I'll just have to accept.

Thanks for your .02. I have a lot of thinking to do!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:03 pm

Last edited by BWOD on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrcourt123

New

Post by mrcourt123 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:05 pm

I'm glad I made my decision over the weekend before I saw the new rankings. Now I know I made my decision based on how I felt about the school, without the influence of it's new ranking vs. my other options. I guess in some small way the new rankings have reinforced my decision, but I was already very excited about DU.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:50 pm

Questions for a current student or knowledgable 0L:

1. Do DU Law students have access to the rec facility? I hope so, it seems like it rocks.

2. Do DU Law students have easy access to public transportation? Are public transit fees included in tuition (can you use, say, your Denver ID card to use the bus and rail?)

3. What are the scholarship options like for top of the class 1Ls going into 2L? If someone is going into 1L with little scholarship assistance, can top placement in the class give them a good chance at getting money for the 2nd and 3rd years?

Thanks in advance :).

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:18 pm

annapavlova wrote:Questions for a current student or knowledgable 0L:

1. Do DU Law students have access to the rec facility? I hope so, it seems like it rocks.

As an undergrad, I had access to the fitness facilities for free. I don't see why this would change for law students. And yes, it rocks.

2. Do DU Law students have easy access to public transportation? Are public transit fees included in tuition (can you use, say, your Denver ID card to use the bus and rail?)

The light rail station is just on the otherside of the Ritchie Center (so 3/4 of a block) and that will take you downtown for free with your student ID. There are bus stops close by. They aren't as reliable, but still free. (Meaning I know people who've been late to work in various parts of Denver/Boulder but you could probably say that for any public bus system).

3. What are the scholarship options like for top of the class 1Ls going into 2L? If someone is going into 1L with little scholarship assistance, can top placement in the class give them a good chance at getting money for the 2nd and 3rd years?

What I heard at the ASD are that there are many named scholarships available that you can apply for starting your first year and don't necessarily need the grades.

Thanks in advance :).
Hope that helps.
Last edited by BWOD on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jenniferdu

New

Post by jenniferdu » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:22 pm

The bus is super reliable around camous. I take them everyday. They run every 15-30 minutes and are always on time.

jenniferdu

New

Post by jenniferdu » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:23 pm

Sorry for the typos.

The buses are super reliable around campus.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:33 pm

BWOD and Jennifer -

What is the best way to find housing? Is there a good housing guide(s)? Or is it best to go through the school's housing office? Go and visit myself and look for apartments? Any other resources for finding good neighorhoods and locating places within those neighborhoods? I'd like to be close to campus, and hope to take the bus/rail to get there (I don't even want to try to deal with a car).

I know to check Craigslist (duh) but sometimes I can't get a feel for the locale or neighborhood from the ads. Jennifer, you're at DU law now right - is the rec center available to law students (I believe you BWOD, just double-checking!!)?

jenniferdu

New

Post by jenniferdu » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:47 pm

For housing, I would recommend visiting and looking yourself. The schools housing office probably wont be able to help.There are quite a few places you can live with transportation options. Ive lived here for 5 years without a car and sometimes its a pain in the ass (mostly for groceries) but I have never had any problems getting anywhere. The rec center is available to all law students and is across the street from the law school. It is super nice!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:55 pm

annapavlova wrote:BWOD and Jennifer -

What is the best way to find housing? Is there a good housing guide(s)? Or is it best to go through the school's housing office? Go and visit myself and look for apartments? Any other resources for finding good neighorhoods and locating places within those neighborhoods? I'd like to be close to campus, and hope to take the bus/rail to get there (I don't even want to try to deal with a car).

I know to check Craigslist (duh) but sometimes I can't get a feel for the locale or neighborhood from the ads. Jennifer, you're at DU law now right - is the rec center available to law students (I believe you BWOD, just double-checking!!)?
I would say it depends how much you want to spend. In undergrad I lived right across the street alone for $700 a month. Expect to pay around this for nicer (law school quality aparments) in walking distance. Check out --LinkRemoved-- for more info on that.

If you want to find a house nearby and live with someone (I'll be living in a house a mile away from school) you can expect to pay as little as 4-500 if all the rooms are rented. They used to have a posting board online but I don't know where that went.

You can also apply for on campus graduate housing but I know nothing about that.

You can find something within walking distance that's nice.

If you want to know if the area or apartment building is sketch pm me and I will let you know.

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:04 pm

jenniferdu wrote: Ive lived here for 5 years without a car and sometimes its a pain in the ass (mostly for groceries) but I have never had any problems getting anywhere.
TITCR. Safeway is a half mile away so it is walkable. Whole Foods is a couple miles away.

That said, you could probably borrow someones car to do just about anything in town (I have borrowed someone's car and allowed people to borrow my car) DU is that type of place. :) not that I am lobbying or anything.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:13 pm

BWOD wrote:
annapavlova wrote:BWOD and Jennifer -

I would say it depends how much you want to spend. In undergrad I lived right across the street alone for $700 a month. Expect to pay around this for nicer (law school quality aparments) in walking distance. Check out --LinkRemoved-- for more info on that.

If you want to find a house nearby and live with someone (I'll be living in a house a mile away from school) you can expect to pay as little as 4-500 if all the rooms are rented. They used to have a posting board online but I don't know where that went.

You can also apply for on campus graduate housing but I know nothing about that.

You can find something within walking distance that's nice.

If you want to know if the area or apartment building is sketch pm me and I will let you know.
I will totally keep you in mind! Thank you so much. I am already starting to poke aruond, but fortunately, this doesn't look like it's going to be hard. BWOD, you rock, I'm going to harass your PM box mercilessly. THANK YOU!

jenniferdu

New

Post by jenniferdu » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:18 pm

I dont live right by the school so Im not a good person to ask about that area. I live in the Capital Hill area so if you see something you like there or downtown, Ill be happy to help you with places. I could even go by somewhere if you couldnt make it out here. You can PM anytime.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”