Loyola(LA) 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Cruzansweetie

New

Loyola(LA) 2012

Post by Cruzansweetie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:27 am

Hi I just wanted to see if there was anyone else on the forum who's thinking of Loyola as their first choice. I'm just waiting to confirm my choice with my visit to LA over springbreak.

byu85

New

Re: Loyola(LA) 2012

Post by byu85 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:35 am

Cruzansweetie wrote:Hi I just wanted to see if there was anyone else on the forum who's thinking of Loyola as their first choice. I'm just waiting to confirm my choice with my visit to LA over springbreak.
Yeah I am seriously considering Loyola as well, I've been accepted at George Mason as well, however, I'm not sure if i I want to be stuck out east after graduation. I've always wanted to practice in SoCal. I need to decide before April 15th though. I will be visiting Loyola and my other top choices before I make my final decision so hopefully that will help clarify everything.

J Boogie

New

Post by J Boogie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:19 pm

This was my top choice and my most recent acceptance so I'll be there. :D

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:41 pm

I'm literally within 5 minutes walking distance of Loyola LA law school right now.

jgerber9

New

Post by jgerber9 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:03 pm

I got into Loyola as well and am seriously considering going... but how is apartment pricing and availability near the school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chola

New

Post by chola » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Would anyone mind telling me how you were notified? I checked my status online today and it says:

A decision regarding your admissions application was made on March 02, 2009. A decision letter was sent through the U.S. Mail and should reach you within seven business days of the above date.

I'm afraid that if I had gotten in, I would've been directed to an admitted students page instead of this :(

jgerber9

New

Post by jgerber9 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:09 pm

chola wrote:Would anyone mind telling me how you were notified? I checked my status online today and it says:

A decision regarding your admissions application was made on March 02, 2009. A decision letter was sent through the U.S. Mail and should reach you within seven business days of the above date.

I'm afraid that if I had gotten in, I would've been directed to an admitted students page instead of this :(
It happened the exact same way for everyone from what I understand. So don't worry. It really did take like 7 days to get my letter too, just a heads up.

chola

New

Post by chola » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:13 pm

THANK YOU!!

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:29 pm

Got in a week or two ago (PT-eve prog). My original plan was to go here PT while keeping the job (I work in LA) Bummed about no scholarship (27K a year PT is not cheap.) But talked to a top lawyer in town who told me Loyola is the top TT in town, and top firms in LA recruit there.

Having said that, the cost is a real issue, especially since I have some $$ at some other schools, and a bunch of aps still out there. So can't say for certain is #1, but am definitely considering (and a scholly might seal the deal.)

I'd be interested in getting to know people planning to attend - especially those who work and will be doing PT night, since I'd like to have a roommate for the year ideally who is in the same situation as me. LA can be expensive as heck, but with a good roomie situation, it can became somewhat reasonable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:14 pm

In today with 63k scholarship.

Not sure if I will attend though. Hastings would still only be 6 or 7000 more per year. But Loyola is definitely a top option now.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:20 am

Last edited by Danteshek on Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jibstir13

New

Post by jibstir13 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:50 am

Loyola is one of my top picks...

I signed up for the student host visit/tour...

Has anyone been to one of these yet?..How was it?

misformafia

New

Post by misformafia » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:01 am

It's my only acceptance so far, and the more I look into it, the more I like.

They didn't offer me ANY $$$, so if I get dinged on UVA, Mich, ND, and W&L's waitlists I'm there for surrre.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

J Boogie

New

Post by J Boogie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:43 pm

Anybody going to the open house next Friday?

kentloyola

New

Post by kentloyola » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:13 pm

Congrats to everyone that got in. if you are looking for cheaper rent try the San Gabriel Valley. It takes me 14 min to drive to school, and rent is about 600-1000

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:16 pm

kentloyola wrote:Congrats to everyone that got in. if you are looking for cheaper rent try the San Gabriel Valley. It takes me 14 min to drive to school, and rent is about 600-1000
Um, recommend the opposite. You will live in a swelteringly hot, far-from-campus pit of boredom.

Get a roommate in West Hollywood or Hollywood, pay 600-800, have tons of things to do, close to campus, better weather. Or even some downtown spots. No brainer.

kentloyola

New

Post by kentloyola » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:02 pm

if you need something to do then don't go to law school. Parts of the san gabriel valley are 3 degrees cooler in the summer than downtown and 15 degrees cooler than the san fernando valley. It is also safer than hollywood with their homeless people and density. In addition, there is no traffic like LA city. For the same amount of rent you get double the space and don't have bars keeping you up at night. Downtown is double to triple the rent unless you live in the slumlord parts of chinatown. Stay away from Pasadena and the foothill communities as well since it is too expensive but it is still within 5-15 mins from the san gabriel valley for something to do. In addtion, San Gabriel Valley has 24 coffee shops, tea houses, and food places with free wifi. Still if I need to go to Hollywood for leisure it only takes me 5 more minutes than to get to school and 13 more min. to get to the beach. Save your money and don't graduate with 100K plus debt from expensive rent and bar tabs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ckwright

New

Post by ckwright » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:07 pm

Hey everyone I'm going to be going to Loyola in the fall and I have lived in or around LA all my life so I thought I put in my 2 cents. For anyone wondering about housing this thread from the class of 2011 is pretty useful. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 17&t=25969

The San Gabriel Valley isn't a bad choice in terms of cost and safeness, but it is a rather far drive to Loyola. I personally wouldn't do it but that's up to you. Here are the areas I'm thinking about.

Loyola itself is basically in Koreatown, the area around the campus isn't too bad. I wouldn't walk around at night but the campus itself is very self and gated and has security. Driving from the freeway to Loyola is only like a minute and is fine. However I wouldn't really want to live here.

North/East
Pasadena: Pasadena is a very safe and nice area that's a quick drive or a quick metro ride to Loyola (Loyola has a free shuttle from the 7th street metro so you don't have to walk at all). Pasadena is expensive but you can find some good deals if you shop around.
Glendale: Glendale is a pretty quick drive to Loyola, it's cheap and it's pretty nice. It's not the most exciting place in the world but it does have some fun places and is a quick drive to other good places.
Eagle Rock: Most people don't know where eagle rock is, but it's a cool little neighborhood right between Glendale/Pasadena, it's cheap, it's sort of quirky and indie and it's a pretty nice little area.
Studio City Much the same as Glendale in terms of pros and cons.

West:
Santa Monica: Santa Monica is an awesome place to live with lots of young people and cool things to do. It's expensive but you can find some cheap places. It's where the main LMU campus is, but it's a really far drive to Loyola. It's only like 12 miles or so, but you have to fight traffic on the 10 the entire way.
Westwood/Etc Westwood is where UCLA is, the area is expensive, it borders Beverly Hills, there's fun things to do but you have to fight the 10 on traffic again and it's a costly place to live.

The Woods:
Hollywood: Hollywood is an interesting place to live. You can find some cheap places to live but parts of Hollwood are kind of seedy, they're safe but they are sort of sketchy. There's all kinds of fun to be had in Hollywood but as a 1L I don't think it's worth it to live there.
West Hollywood: WoHo is kind of Hollywood but much cleaner and more LGBT friendly (of course so is Hollywood). A lot young professionals live here but it can be a bit expensive. It's a pretty quick drive to Loyola from here and about the same from Hollywood.
Silverlake: Silverlake is a trendy little hipster enclave by Hollywood. Rent can be expensive (like everywhere in LA) but deals can be found. It's a cool place to live that's a really quick drive to Loyola. I would say that this is a better option that Hollywood itself because it's nicer and it's got a better balance of things, but you pay for that balance.

The Rest:
Downtown: Downtown has gone through a revitalization over the last few years. Prices are expensive and while there are interesting things to do it's still not always the best area to be able to walk around in. There are some quite nice places to live though and it's just about as close as you can get to campus. The one good thing with the economy being crap is that downtown was overbuilt so there are some cheap rents in nice buildings to be found.
The San Fernado Valley: "The Valley" Eh you don't want to live here, it's cheap and safe but it's also boring, suburban, and a really far drive away.
Burbank: Thank half way between the Valley and Glendale in terms of location and pros/cons.
South: You don't really want to live anywhere to the south, the areas are bad, the drive is bad, plus you'd be close to USC and nobody wants that.

Wow that's a lot longer then I thought it would be, oh well I hope it helps some people. I myself am probably going to end up in Pasadena, Eagle Rock, or Silverlake depending on what I can find and if I end up finding a roommate. Anyway so is everyone excited about Loyola? I am!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:29 pm

Last edited by Danteshek on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ckwright

New

Post by ckwright » Fri May 01, 2009 1:29 am

I'd seen this web site before but I'd forgotten about it until I saw that someone had posted about it on here. Well here it is it puts craigslist housing adds on a map, it's pretty useful. http://www.padmapper.com/

ckwright

New

Post by ckwright » Fri May 08, 2009 3:38 am

I guess that I'm one of the only future Loyola kids floating about around here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Avill

New

Post by Avill » Fri May 08, 2009 5:19 pm

ckwright wrote:I guess that I'm one of the only future Loyola kids floating about around here.
believe me, there's plenty of us on here that would love to join you. for now, hold down the fort ckwright!

ckwright

New

Post by ckwright » Fri May 08, 2009 10:41 pm

Avill wrote:
ckwright wrote:I guess that I'm one of the only future Loyola kids floating about around here.
believe me, there's plenty of us on here that would love to join you. for now, hold down the fort ckwright!
Thanks, I'll try. I feel like I'm already a little Loyola cheerleader. Maybe it's just because I'm excited for law school and I'm really excited for Loyola.

Pvoss07

New

Post by Pvoss07 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi all - new to the site here. I've recently was accepted to Loyola and am seriously considering going (waitlisted at Pepperdine and UCLA) - I would probably want to live in Silverlake, as my brother used to live out there and said it's a pretty great area (I'm from NYC and supposedly the vibe is pretty similar). My big ? is costs as I've gotten money from RU and St. John's in the area and am freaked out about taking 100+ in loans in this economy. I've always wanted to get into entertainment which is my passion, but again, freaked out about taking such a huge chance (as I realize Loyola has cache in LA but little on the east coast). Any advice?

Also, I was wondering if anyone was looking for a roommate in the Silverlake area - would be looking to spend about 800-1000.

Thanks!

Phil

ckwright

New

Post by ckwright » Tue May 12, 2009 6:54 pm

Pvoss07 wrote:Hi all - new to the site here. I've recently was accepted to Loyola and am seriously considering going (waitlisted at Pepperdine and UCLA) - I would probably want to live in Silverlake, as my brother used to live out there and said it's a pretty great area (I'm from NYC and supposedly the vibe is pretty similar). My big ? is costs as I've gotten money from RU and St. John's in the area and am freaked out about taking 100+ in loans in this economy. I've always wanted to get into entertainment which is my passion, but again, freaked out about taking such a huge chance (as I realize Loyola has cache in LA but little on the east coast). Any advice?

Also, I was wondering if anyone was looking for a roommate in the Silverlake area - would be looking to spend about 800-1000.

Thanks!

Phil
Well if your seriously wanted to get into entertainment law Loyola is a great school. I'm not going to lie, the entertainment law field is extremely competitive and difficult to get into but I think that Loyola holds its own against the other two entertainment law powerhouses USC and UCLA. Loyola also has an Entertainment Law Practicum where you will be placed in an externship in the field. Yeah the loans are daunting and the Loyola name doesn't carry well to the east coast but if you want to practice in LA or California and/or you want to truly give entertainment law a chance then I think that Loyola would be a great choice for you.

Now regarding UCLA and Pepperdine, they are also fine universities. If you got off the waiting list you couldn't do much better than UCLA but I wouldn't choose Pepperdine over Loyola. Pepperdine's campus is amazingly gorgeous but the atmosphere there is fairly religious and conservative (for California) and I think that it can take away from the learning experience.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”