Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
holmesNYC
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:52 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby holmesNYC » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:52 pm

I'm about 99% sure I'll be there in the fall.

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:07 pm

king3780 wrote:
phooey182 wrote:did anyone sit in on the Criminal Law prof? I did, I thought it was pretty interesting, 13 ways to steal a bike. I did not like the student who asked how a Defense Attorney could justify defending someone he knew was guilty. YOU ARE AN ATTORNEY! YOU REPRESENT YOUR CLIENT!


Can you give a synopsis of the presentation? It sounded like it might be interesting, but I went to corporate instead since that's a more likely career path for me. What were the 13 ways to steal a bike?


The professor (I forget his name) basically discussed the different types of 'theft' that the law recognizes. Here are some from memory:

Burglary
Embezzlement
Blackmail
Extortion
Armed Robbery
Fraud
Larceny

That's all I can recall, I didn't take notes (like I will in class). We discussed how most 'thefts' are punished in the same way, with the exception of Armed robbery which usually has higher penalties. there was a brief historical perspective given on how the law treated these crimes in the past vs. how we treat them today.

Something funny I remember...Do you recall how the Dean didn't know how to use the projector and the lights? Well this professor didn't know how to use it either. He took like 10 minutes figuring that out.

User avatar
Gosha79
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:07 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby Gosha79 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:51 pm

Hi all
I am totally sold on Rutgers, as of right now its my first choice. As in regard to the Criminal Law Professor, the whole point of his presentation was that, as he put it "the cure was worse than the decease". By treating all types of theft the same and by assigning the same punishment for it, reformers created a bigger problem. I just hope all you people who were in class that day will remember what I am talking about. You are totally right though, that the question about the dilemmas of knowingly representing a guilty client was absurd. Hey, there was a mention of a facebook group for rutgers 2012 law class. If anyone knows if it exists please let me know, I never used facebook before so please let me know how to find it.
Cheers my future Rutgers classmates.

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:04 pm

Gosha79 wrote:Hi all
I am totally sold on Rutgers, as of right now its my first choice. As in regard to the Criminal Law Professor, the whole point of his presentation was that, as he put it "the cure was worse than the decease". By treating all types of theft the same and by assigning the same punishment for it, reformers created a bigger problem. I just hope all you people who were in class that day will remember what I am talking about. You are totally right though, that the question about the dilemmas of knowingly representing a guilty client was absurd. Hey, there was a mention of a facebook group for rutgers 2012 law class. If anyone knows if it exists please let me know, I never used facebook before so please let me know how to find it.
Cheers my future Rutgers classmates.


I took his presentation a tad differently. By consolidating the punishments on theft, the law avoided people being acquitted on technicalities. For instance, if you were charged with Blackmail, but really committed Extortion, previously the law would be forced to acquit. But now it appears the specific type of theft is mostly irrelevant. It solved some problems. Perhaps other problems were created, or remain unresolved. I think there was a trade off to be had.

The facebook page is at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... &ref=share

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:51 pm

phooey182 wrote:
Gosha79 wrote:Hi all
I am totally sold on Rutgers, as of right now its my first choice. As in regard to the Criminal Law Professor, the whole point of his presentation was that, as he put it "the cure was worse than the decease". By treating all types of theft the same and by assigning the same punishment for it, reformers created a bigger problem. I just hope all you people who were in class that day will remember what I am talking about. You are totally right though, that the question about the dilemmas of knowingly representing a guilty client was absurd. Hey, there was a mention of a facebook group for rutgers 2012 law class. If anyone knows if it exists please let me know, I never used facebook before so please let me know how to find it.
Cheers my future Rutgers classmates.


I took his presentation a tad differently. By consolidating the punishments on theft, the law avoided people being acquitted on technicalities. For instance, if you were charged with Blackmail, but really committed Extortion, previously the law would be forced to acquit. But now it appears the specific type of theft is mostly irrelevant. It solved some problems. Perhaps other problems were created, or remain unresolved. I think there was a trade off to be had.

The facebook page is at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... &ref=share


Another Facebook group is located at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7 ... &ref=share

man this board got quiet. You better not be studying already.

holmesNYC
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:52 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby holmesNYC » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:56 pm

No studying yet -- just some searching online for an appropriate backpack. I'm trying to decide which is the least lame.

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby dapoetic1 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:02 pm

holmesNYC wrote:No studying yet -- just some searching online for an appropriate backpack. I'm trying to decide which is the least lame.


The bigger the size of the "Rutgers Law" emblem the more lame :D

Keep it classy

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:18 pm

holmesNYC wrote:No studying yet -- just some searching online for an appropriate backpack. I'm trying to decide which is the least lame.


don't forget we get a locker too! Just like high school.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby king3780 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:59 am

phooey182 wrote:
holmesNYC wrote:No studying yet -- just some searching online for an appropriate backpack. I'm trying to decide which is the least lame.


don't forget we get a locker too! Just like high school.


Pretty nice looking lockers, too.

User avatar
bayberrymoon
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby bayberrymoon » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:05 pm

phooey182 wrote:
phooey182 wrote:
Gosha79 wrote:Hi all
I am totally sold on Rutgers, as of right now its my first choice. As in regard to the Criminal Law Professor, the whole point of his presentation was that, as he put it "the cure was worse than the decease". By treating all types of theft the same and by assigning the same punishment for it, reformers created a bigger problem. I just hope all you people who were in class that day will remember what I am talking about. You are totally right though, that the question about the dilemmas of knowingly representing a guilty client was absurd. Hey, there was a mention of a facebook group for rutgers 2012 law class. If anyone knows if it exists please let me know, I never used facebook before so please let me know how to find it.
Cheers my future Rutgers classmates.


I took his presentation a tad differently. By consolidating the punishments on theft, the law avoided people being acquitted on technicalities. For instance, if you were charged with Blackmail, but really committed Extortion, previously the law would be forced to acquit. But now it appears the specific type of theft is mostly irrelevant. It solved some problems. Perhaps other problems were created, or remain unresolved. I think there was a trade off to be had.

The facebook page is at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... &ref=share


Another Facebook group is located at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7 ... &ref=share

man this board got quiet. You better not be studying already.


I think the last-mentioned group is for evening students graduating in 2012, ie evening students who were accepted last cycle. The evening students accepted this cycle would be class of 2013.

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:06 pm

Housing question:

I've been shopping for a place to live off-campus. Does anyone know if the majority of off-campus students live in Newark or outside of Newark?

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby awesomepossum » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:11 pm

My guess:

The majority of those who don't mind getting shot live in Newark.

The majority of those who mind getting shot don't live in Newark.

bobothecat
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:06 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby bobothecat » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:10 pm

98% joining you guys in the fall! what do people think about cars? Trying to determine if its a necessity especially since I'll be an evening student and getting off late...thinking of living in either jersey city or hoboken...

losjeans
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby losjeans » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:14 pm

bobothecat wrote:98% joining you guys in the fall! what do people think about cars? Trying to determine if its a necessity especially since I'll be an evening student and getting off late...thinking of living in either jersey city or hoboken...


Not necessary.

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby dapoetic1 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:35 pm

phooey182 wrote:Housing question:

I've been shopping for a place to live off-campus. Does anyone know if the majority of off-campus students live in Newark or outside of Newark?


Hey.
I just came back from NJ
Newark is not the greatest area but it's not as dangerous as people make it sound. If you've lived in a suburb all of your life and have never lived in any kind of an urban area then yes...every street in Newark is going to scare you. But honestly the worst thing about Newark is that options are super limited. You're not going to want to really live in most of the neighborhoods. The area right around R-N doesn't have a ton of living options. The area just behind Newark Penn station (Ironbound) has probably the closes and most reasonable places in the area. If you like the suburban living go to Montclair or Irvington.

But I initially thought I wanted to stay in Newark. After hoping on the PATH and heading out to Jersey City I am SOLD!!!!! I love the area around the Grove street Path station/Van Vorst Park area. Also the Newport/Pavonia area near Newport Center Mall is great. And if you're close to the PATH the commute is a freakin' breeeeeeze!
and JC is super close to mid-town manhattan. It's just a few stops from Grove St. and Pavonia.
The housing around JC is tons of brownstones, townhouses, lofts, and rehabbed condos.

I went by Liberty Harbor which is a quick walk from Grove st station on Grand and although they don't currently have any units they have a new building going up and will have more info on rentals in a couple of weeks.
I also checked out Gulls Cove. It's technically only units for sale but on craigslist there's some people renting. Same with the Beacon. There are a billion units @Newport and they're nice. I need W/D hookups and none of their building have that so they were out. Although they have a new building called AquaBlu opening late summer (maybe Aug they're not sure yet) that will have W/D hookups. But that area around Newport is fantatic. Literally right at the PATH station, mall, and Target.

I didn't do Hoboken b/c I just didn't want to! So I don't have any good info.

but I even walked to Penn station at night and not only was I not worried but I didn't see what the fuss was. There's nobody out at night especially if you're at the school headed East towards Penn station. Now...if you're going west or especially south down Broad St. you're headed for some sketchy parts. But there's really no reason to even head that way. If you want to know anything else just PM me.

EDIT: bobthecat R-N has a shuttle that leaves from the law school and goes directly to Newark Penn Station which is where you can catch all the trains/PATH to JC or Hoboken. So I think you could get along w/o a car.
A student pass for the path is ~$40/month. There's a discount on the full unlimited monthly fee, and I there's a fee for parking on the campus in the garages, plus any fee you're going to pay for parking at your place. So you could probably do fine w/o a car. I got along just swimmingly for a week w/o one. Although for getting around and getting to know the area for the first time a car would have been slightly more convenient.

bobothecat
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:06 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby bobothecat » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks for the housing and car update! I too love the areas you've mentioned (only been once or twice) not to mention the view of manhattan although those doorman buildings do seem a bit pricey for me but I hope I can find a good deal for July 1st. Glad to hear about the car situation-- definitely dont want another bill if I can help it :)

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:24 am

What's the prices for apartments in JC?

I am actually looking at houses in West Orange, South Orange and Maplewood. Because of the economy, many owners are having problems finding renters or selling their houses. So I'm looking at 1-3 bedroom houses for $1600 a month. Suburbia isn't as exciting, but I'm assuming that much of our time will be spend studying. Manhattan is always there for a quick night out.

What prices are you guys seeing.

nocalls4jeff
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:26 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby nocalls4jeff » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:13 pm

I've been looking around but haven't decided how close I want to live. Other options besides JC & Hoboken are towns like Kearny, North Arlington - both quick train rides away. There's also Harrsion, the Oranges and Bloomfield - maybe a little tougher to commute via mass trans.

bobothecat
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:06 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby bobothecat » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:17 pm

The nice parts of JC that dapoetic mentioned (along the river) seems to be going for >1500 for a 1 bedroom, more like $1800 from what I've seen...I'm tring to stay under 1300 if I can help it...I guess a roommate is an option but I'm not keen on it.

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby dapoetic1 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:04 pm

bobothecat wrote:The nice parts of JC that dapoetic mentioned (along the river) seems to be going for >1500 for a 1 bedroom, more like $1800 from what I've seen...I'm tring to stay under 1300 if I can help it...I guess a roommate is an option but I'm not keen on it.


Yeah... I would say this is about right.
The big, fancy luxury buildings (liberty harbor, grove point, gulls cove, newport) are all about ~$1800-$2000 for a studio and $2200-$2600 for 1 bd. That usually doesn't include $150-300 for parking.

I've been looking in downtown JC (around Grove St. PATH) and they have tons of brownstones that have been rehabbed and they are 1-3 bedrooms starting as low as $1400 going up to $3000 but most priced around $1700 for a 2bd. Some even have a parking spot, some just have decent street parking.

So far I've definitely seen a lot of places being rented by current owners or ppl coming up on the end of the lease renting places that fall well within Rutgers student budger for housing. And with places that are not in the luxury building you don't have to pay extra for the doorman and laundry services. Although those things are nice it tacks on an extra $300-400 per month for convenience.

I'm not big on a roommate either. So I'm looking at places where I can spread out and I can afford without breaking the bank.

holmesNYC
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:52 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby holmesNYC » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:28 pm

So how many are we as of now? I'm counting 10 people? Out of approximately 190?

User avatar
jpasqu1
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:10 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby jpasqu1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:46 pm

Unless I get into IU-Bloomington I'll be in Newark this Fall. Anyone else planing on living on campus?

User avatar
bayberrymoon
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby bayberrymoon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:14 pm

jpasqu1 wrote:Unless I get into IU-Bloomington I'll be in Newark this Fall. Anyone else planing on living on campus?


I am. I sent in my housing deposit and am hoping for University Square.

rodbel24
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:01 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby rodbel24 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:48 pm

I'm in as well...... It was tough seeing the deadline for all the other acceptances pass by but I'm happy with RU-NW

afterglow99
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:24 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby afterglow99 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:54 pm

I'm racking my brain over Rutgers or George Mason, so far I've got 2 deposits down. I'm leaning towards Rutgers though.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest