Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:06 am

Tomorrow is the big day! One reminder, one the 'Entering Students' web page, it says to download and print your locker form. I haven't heard much about this from Anita. The link is http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/files/u/09LockerForm.pdf

Some more of my professors posted on Blackboard. For LR&W, we have about 110 pages of reading due for the first class. Yea, 110 pages!

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby dapoetic1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:08 pm

phooey182 wrote:Tomorrow is the big day! One reminder, one the 'Entering Students' web page, it says to download and print your locker form. I haven't heard much about this from Anita. The link is http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/files/u/09LockerForm.pdf

Some more of my professors posted on Blackboard. For LR&W, we have about 110 pages of reading due for the first class. Yea, 110 pages!


Yikes!
I've only got a couple chapter of Shapo and about 30 pgs of Plain English. But the Plain English might as well be a child's picture book. There's 9 chapters in the entire book and we have to read the first 4 for the first day. What the heck did I buy this book for if all I need to know I can read in 2 days. I could've swung by Barns & Noble on the way home and read this.
Chapter 4 "Prefer Active Voice"---uuuuuggggghhhhh!!!!
So far I've finished up my Contracts assignment for Monday (Tuesday's is posted as well) and the Property assignment.
But none of my other profs have posted their assignments on BB. They haven't even listed the class. I don't show a Crim or a Torts. I know they're going to wait until Sunday night and then post 50 pgs of reading.

@Phooey-- who's your LRW prof?

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:03 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
phooey182 wrote:Tomorrow is the big day! One reminder, one the 'Entering Students' web page, it says to download and print your locker form. I haven't heard much about this from Anita. The link is http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/files/u/09LockerForm.pdf

Some more of my professors posted on Blackboard. For LR&W, we have about 110 pages of reading due for the first class. Yea, 110 pages!


Yikes!
I've only got a couple chapter of Shapo and about 30 pgs of Plain English. But the Plain English might as well be a child's picture book. There's 9 chapters in the entire book and we have to read the first 4 for the first day. What the heck did I buy this book for if all I need to know I can read in 2 days. I could've swung by Barns & Noble on the way home and read this.
Chapter 4 "Prefer Active Voice"---uuuuuggggghhhhh!!!!
So far I've finished up my Contracts assignment for Monday (Tuesday's is posted as well) and the Property assignment.
But none of my other profs have posted their assignments on BB. They haven't even listed the class. I don't show a Crim or a Torts. I know they're going to wait until Sunday night and then post 50 pgs of reading.

@Phooey-- who's your LRW prof?


I have Bitterman for LRW. My crim law hasn't posted either. And torts doesn't even show up yet in Blackboard. I plan to bitch during orientation if it isn't up by Thursday.

FiatLux
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 2:58 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby FiatLux » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:53 pm

Are you guys gonna bring notepad or your laptop to take some notes during some of the presentations? I figure a legal pad is enough for orientation. I don't wanna lug something around all day.

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby dapoetic1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:58 pm

FiatLux wrote:Are you guys gonna bring notepad or your laptop to take some notes during some of the presentations? I figure a legal pad is enough for orientation. I don't wanna lug something around all day.


Take something to write on. A simple spiral or small notebook will do

1) You want to note the deans and what they do because there's lots of them and you want to keep them straight
2)You'll meet many student groups and their staff/leadership and they'll be handing out their emails left and right
3) You'll get bored and need something to draw on

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:23 pm

ugh that was a long day. And getting out of the parking lot was awful. I can't wait until next week, that's when I start commuting via train.

User avatar
sergris
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:40 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby sergris » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:09 am

I missed the orientation.... can somebody give me an idea what was discussed and addressed, especially for the evening students. Thanks.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby king3780 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:16 am

sergris wrote:I missed the orientation.... can somebody give me an idea what was discussed and addressed, especially for the evening students. Thanks.


Are you coming to Thursday's orientation? Wednesday night, the highlights were getting our Lexis Nexis and Westlaw accounts, our locker keys and pictures taken for our IDs. We also had a campus cop talk about public safety and answer questions from gunners about different routes they can take from their house to campus. Some lady dean with bad makeup went on and on like we are idiots about the perils of taking classes pass/fail, how many credits we need to to graduate, what cum laude means and how to qualify for it, etc. Dean Rothman took us through a hypo and gave us a reading assignment for Thursday. HTH.

User avatar
sergris
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:40 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby sergris » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:30 am

king3780 wrote:
sergris wrote:I missed the orientation.... can somebody give me an idea what was discussed and addressed, especially for the evening students. Thanks.


Are you coming to Thursday's orientation? Wednesday night, the highlights were getting our Lexis Nexis and Westlaw accounts, our locker keys and pictures taken for our IDs. We also had a campus cop talk about public safety and answer questions from gunners about different routes they can take from their house to campus. Some lady dean with bad makeup went on and on like we are idiots about the perils of taking classes pass/fail, how many credits we need to to graduate, what cum laude means and how to qualify for it, etc. Dean Rothman took us through a hypo and gave us a reading assignment for Thursday. HTH.


Thank you for your reply, sounds like I haven't missed anything that I can't catch up with today. Could you please let me know what the reading assignment was?

nanaNa
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby nanaNa » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:34 am

sergris wrote:
king3780 wrote:
sergris wrote:I missed the orientation.... can somebody give me an idea what was discussed and addressed, especially for the evening students. Thanks.


Are you coming to Thursday's orientation? Wednesday night, the highlights were getting our Lexis Nexis and Westlaw accounts, our locker keys and pictures taken for our IDs. We also had a campus cop talk about public safety and answer questions from gunners about different routes they can take from their house to campus. Some lady dean with bad makeup went on and on like we are idiots about the perils of taking classes pass/fail, how many credits we need to to graduate, what cum laude means and how to qualify for it, etc. Dean Rothman took us through a hypo and gave us a reading assignment for Thursday. HTH.


Thank you for your reply, sounds like I haven't missed anything that I can't catch up with today. Could you please let me know what the reading assignment was?


It was a case that he handed out, SHER v. LEIDERMAN. It is just for discussion and an example what classes will be like; probably not the end of the world if you don't read it.

The Eyeliner Dean was offensively condescending.

User avatar
k.e.l.l.y
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby k.e.l.l.y » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:38 am

nanaNa wrote:
sergris wrote:
king3780 wrote:
sergris wrote:I missed the orientation.... can somebody give me an idea what was discussed and addressed, especially for the evening students. Thanks.


Are you coming to Thursday's orientation? Wednesday night, the highlights were getting our Lexis Nexis and Westlaw accounts, our locker keys and pictures taken for our IDs. We also had a campus cop talk about public safety and answer questions from gunners about different routes they can take from their house to campus. Some lady dean with bad makeup went on and on like we are idiots about the perils of taking classes pass/fail, how many credits we need to to graduate, what cum laude means and how to qualify for it, etc. Dean Rothman took us through a hypo and gave us a reading assignment for Thursday. HTH.


Thank you for your reply, sounds like I haven't missed anything that I can't catch up with today. Could you please let me know what the reading assignment was?


It was a case that he handed out, SHER v. LEIDERMAN. It is just for discussion and an example what classes will be like; probably not the end of the world if you don't read it.

The Eyeliner Dean was offensively condescending.


The case will probably just be used during the "How to Brief a Case" portion.

Regarding the Eyeliner Dean: I loved when she claimed that she could walk to Penn Station in under ten minutes.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby king3780 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:43 pm

nanaNa wrote:
sergris wrote:
king3780 wrote:
sergris wrote:I missed the orientation.... can somebody give me an idea what was discussed and addressed, especially for the evening students. Thanks.


Are you coming to Thursday's orientation? Wednesday night, the highlights were getting our Lexis Nexis and Westlaw accounts, our locker keys and pictures taken for our IDs. We also had a campus cop talk about public safety and answer questions from gunners about different routes they can take from their house to campus. Some lady dean with bad makeup went on and on like we are idiots about the perils of taking classes pass/fail, how many credits we need to to graduate, what cum laude means and how to qualify for it, etc. Dean Rothman took us through a hypo and gave us a reading assignment for Thursday. HTH.


Thank you for your reply, sounds like I haven't missed anything that I can't catch up with today. Could you please let me know what the reading assignment was?


It was a case that he handed out, SHER v. LEIDERMAN. It is just for discussion and an example what classes will be like; probably not the end of the world if you don't read it.

The Eyeliner Dean was offensively condescending.


I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one that felt this way about her. I kept wanting to raise my hand and remind her we're law students, not 18 year old freshmen. Also, I agree that not reading the case won't be a big deal.

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:29 pm

king3780 wrote:
nanaNa wrote:
sergris wrote:
king3780 wrote:
Are you coming to Thursday's orientation? Wednesday night, the highlights were getting our Lexis Nexis and Westlaw accounts, our locker keys and pictures taken for our IDs. We also had a campus cop talk about public safety and answer questions from gunners about different routes they can take from their house to campus. Some lady dean with bad makeup went on and on like we are idiots about the perils of taking classes pass/fail, how many credits we need to to graduate, what cum laude means and how to qualify for it, etc. Dean Rothman took us through a hypo and gave us a reading assignment for Thursday. HTH.


Thank you for your reply, sounds like I haven't missed anything that I can't catch up with today. Could you please let me know what the reading assignment was?


It was a case that he handed out, SHER v. LEIDERMAN. It is just for discussion and an example what classes will be like; probably not the end of the world if you don't read it.

The Eyeliner Dean was offensively condescending.


I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one that felt this way about her. I kept wanting to raise my hand and remind her we're law students, not 18 year old freshmen. Also, I agree that not reading the case won't be a big deal.


I walked to the Broad Street station in 11 minutes. So maybe she ain't lying.

I read the Sher v. Leiderman case. Very interesting. The ruling handed out was actually from appellate court. The plaintiff lost at trial and now appeals. The appeals court ruled against the plaintiff as well.

BTW, anyone know how to find where my classes are?

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby dapoetic1 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:49 am

king3780 wrote:
nanaNa wrote:
sergris wrote:
king3780 wrote:
Thank you for your reply, sounds like I haven't missed anything that I can't catch up with today. Could you please let me know what the reading assignment was?


It was a case that he handed out, SHER v. LEIDERMAN. It is just for discussion and an example what classes will be like; probably not the end of the world if you don't read it.

The Eyeliner Dean was offensively condescending.


I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one that felt this way about her. I kept wanting to raise my hand and remind her we're law students, not 18 year old freshmen. Also, I agree that not reading the case won't be a big deal.


I walked to the Broad Street station in 11 minutes. So maybe she ain't lying.

I read the Sher v. Leiderman case. Very interesting. The ruling handed out was actually from appellate court. The plaintiff lost at trial and now appeals. The appeals court ruled against the plaintiff as well.

BTW, anyone know how to find where my classes are?


The holding in 99% of all the cases this semester are going to be from the appellate level. Some profs/deans make it a big deal to understand the procedural posture of the case, meaning what court it's in and what the lower courts said. It's not totally irrelevant but it's not that big of a deal to figure it out. If it says Nth Crt of Appeals well then obviously it's at the appellate level. Where this really starts to become more of a factor is in civil procedure. But for now expect that the holdings of the cases are going to be at some level above the trial/general jurisdiction court. But do pay attention to cases that say they are at the NY Court of Appeals. The NY Ct of Appeals is the same as most states Supreme Court. And the trial level (lower level court) is called the Supreme Court--F'ing New Yorkers!!! Don't let it trip you up.

You're definitely not the only one without class numbers on your registration. There's going to be a lot of students hanging around in the atrium on the first day unless there are big signs that says Track #----> to Profs. Smitty's Property Class. Why don't we all just line up outside of the school building, let the bell ring and the teacher come and get us?

Riles246
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby Riles246 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:24 am

This is probably a dumb question, but why does everything say that classes start Tuesday, Sept 1? Even the parking pass people said it. I'm not crazy- classes start this Monday...right?

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby king3780 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:27 pm

Riles246 wrote:This is probably a dumb question, but why does everything say that classes start Tuesday, Sept 1? Even the parking pass people said it. I'm not crazy- classes start this Monday...right?


I think the undergrads don't start until Sept. 1. We definitely start Monday, Aug. 24

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby king3780 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:29 pm

Dean Rothman did indicate that there would be signs posted if some kind of e-mail doesn't go out before then.

Riles246
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby Riles246 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:34 pm

king3780 wrote:
Riles246 wrote:This is probably a dumb question, but why does everything say that classes start Tuesday, Sept 1? Even the parking pass people said it. I'm not crazy- classes start this Monday...right?


I think the undergrads don't start until Sept. 1. We definitely start Monday, Aug. 24


Thanks. Glad to see it written just to be positive.

FiatLux
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 2:58 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby FiatLux » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:02 pm

Did anyone stay for all of Dean Rothman's tour of Newark? It was a really fun tour and I'm really glad I went. Dean Rothman seems genuinely sincere about his interest in getting to know the law students, helping law students develop into attorneys, and fostering a congenial, cooperative learning environment at the law school. I doubt most law schools have a dean that's this accessible and dedicated to the students.

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:41 pm

FiatLux wrote:Did anyone stay for all of Dean Rothman's tour of Newark? It was a really fun tour and I'm really glad I went. Dean Rothman seems genuinely sincere about his interest in getting to know the law students, helping law students develop into attorneys, and fostering a congenial, cooperative learning environment at the law school. I doubt most law schools have a dean that's this accessible and dedicated to the students.


I left after we rounded back to the school. Just too damn hot! Rothman is cool, maybe a little too much info concerning the Westinghouse toxic dump.

The email went out, we have our class locations. I figure the next few weeks will be just figuring out how to survive classes. And by the time we do figure it out, it will be November and Career Services will be knocking on our doors.

Hey, you shouldn't even be reading this. Get started on next weeks assignments!

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby dapoetic1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:18 am

phooey182 wrote:
FiatLux wrote:Did anyone stay for all of Dean Rothman's tour of Newark? It was a really fun tour and I'm really glad I went. Dean Rothman seems genuinely sincere about his interest in getting to know the law students, helping law students develop into attorneys, and fostering a congenial, cooperative learning environment at the law school. I doubt most law schools have a dean that's this accessible and dedicated to the students.


I left after we rounded back to the school. Just too damn hot! Rothman is cool, maybe a little too much info concerning the Westinghouse toxic dump.

The email went out, we have our class locations. I figure the next few weeks will be just figuring out how to survive classes. And by the time we do figure it out, it will be November and Career Services will be knocking on our doors.

Hey, you shouldn't even be reading this. Get started on next weeks assignments!



GUILTY!!

How many different ways can I waste time?

Actually I've done okay. All of my class assignments have been posted. The things I have left are the LRW reading assignment which is like reading from an elementary school text. Contracts, and the torts assignment. Property was kind of a drag too much talk about 13th century feudalism. But crim was interesting. I like the way we delve right in! I'll finish up the LRW by tomorrow afternoon. Hit torts after that and then finish off the night with contracts. I'll probably use sunday to go back over the classes I have on Monday and then do the few assignement that are posted for Tuesday. I'm in the zone!!!

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:20 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
phooey182 wrote:
Hey, you shouldn't even be reading this. Get started on next weeks assignments!



GUILTY!!

How many different ways can I waste time?

Actually I've done okay. All of my class assignments have been posted. The things I have left are the LRW reading assignment which is like reading from an elementary school text. Contracts, and the torts assignment. Property was kind of a drag too much talk about 13th century feudalism. But crim was interesting. I like the way we delve right in! I'll finish up the LRW by tomorrow afternoon. Hit torts after that and then finish off the night with contracts. I'll probably use sunday to go back over the classes I have on Monday and then do the few assignement that are posted for Tuesday. I'm in the zone!!!


I only have Contracts and LRW on Monday, so that's all I did. Tuesday I have 4 classes, but I can read on Monday for all of them. I don't want to get 'ahead' of the class.

User avatar
Gosha79
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:07 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby Gosha79 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:36 pm

Igor Litvak - 1L SBA REP CANDIDATE
What are the skills you are looking for in your 1L rep? Leadership, experience, and
commitment are just some of the things I bring to the table. As a former VP of a
student club in my undergraduate institution, I learned what it takes
to represent my student body. As a customer service manager I perfected
strong leadership skills. Dedication to work on your behalf to promote your
interests and values is what makes me the right candidate for you to
support. I pledge to uphold the highest ethical standards and fulfill your greatest
expectations as an SBA rep. I am asking for your vote and consideration.
If you would like to know more about me and why you should vote for me, please
do not hesitate to contact me at gosha79@pegasus.rutgers.edu.
Thank you and I look forward to seeing you on election day
IGOR LITVAK

toobusy
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby toobusy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Is anyone willing to access an electronic pdf from the law library and email it to me? The reference librarians don't want to help me out and I'm trying to avoid having to drive to Rutgers. I attend another school in the NY area.

Please message me and I’ll give you the details. Thanks.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby king3780 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:10 pm

Well colleagues, how is everyone liking Rutgers so far? I have no complaints. The workload is difficult, but that's no surprise. I like the club and clinic opportunities... for next year.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest