Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby king3780 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:51 pm

Zeph wrote:
civil3d wrote:Anyone that attended Admitted Students Day on 3/27 have any thoughts or impressions?


im interested in this as well


I was there as well, so I'll share a couple thoughts. One, I really liked the law building. It wasn't brand new or anything, but it was nicely laid out, was still in good shape, well-maintained, and was well-regulated temperature wise. That may not be a big deal to some, but my undergrad is an older school and it can get frustrating sitting in a classroom that is too hot or too cold. The campus was about what I'd expect from an urban setting... just a bunch of buildings strewn across several blocks. For me, that's not a big deal, b/c I don't need a grassy quad or anything to be happy. The area didn't seem as bad as some people describe it. It was day time and there were some dilapidated buildings, but it certainly wasn't scary. The administration members and professors all seemed pretty cool. I was surprised by the diversity of the students present. I guess I knew Rutgers was diverse, but since I don't have a preference one way or another I hadn't really researched it. But there was a really cool mix of races, nationalities, socio-economic classes, etc. I think it will make for a fun learning process, having people of so many different backgrounds.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:56 pm

king3780 wrote:
Zeph wrote:
civil3d wrote:Anyone that attended Admitted Students Day on 3/27 have any thoughts or impressions?


im interested in this as well


I was there as well, so I'll share a couple thoughts. One, I really liked the law building. It wasn't brand new or anything, but it was nicely laid out, was still in good shape, well-maintained, and was well-regulated temperature wise. That may not be a big deal to some, but my undergrad is an older school and it can get frustrating sitting in a classroom that is too hot or too cold. The campus was about what I'd expect from an urban setting... just a bunch of buildings strewn across several blocks. For me, that's not a big deal, b/c I don't need a grassy quad or anything to be happy. The area didn't seem as bad as some people describe it. It was day time and there were some dilapidated buildings, but it certainly wasn't scary. The administration members and professors all seemed pretty cool. I was surprised by the diversity of the students present. I guess I knew Rutgers was diverse, but since I don't have a preference one way or another I hadn't really researched it. But there was a really cool mix of races, nationalities, socio-economic classes, etc. I think it will make for a fun learning process, having people of so many different backgrounds.


And you know this how? :?:

Haha, you'd know me by my tattered patched up jeans with a stick and a sack strung over my shoulder as I limped on by with my hunchback........ :)

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:55 pm

Zeph wrote:
civil3d wrote:Anyone that attended Admitted Students Day on 3/27 have any thoughts or impressions?


im interested in this as well


Ok I'll just stream-of-consciousness this...

Overall I was very impressed.

The schools attitude is not about rankings. They want to produce quality attorneys from a quality law school. They do not like a 'competitive' atmosphere. The dean made a point in saying that no one will ever hide books from you. They do not 'game' the rankings system. In short, they do not care about numbers, they care about results.

All the staff and students I met were very friendly and open to all questioning. Just looking around the room, you can tell this school is quite diverse. I believe I saw more women in the audience than men. I saw a wide range of ages, although most people were in their 20's. There were a lot of minority students, mostly african american. I saw some asian and some latino.

The assistant Dean was very friendly, funny and straightforward. He and the dean of admissions said, 'skip the prep course, learn to read!'. They said that if you read during the summer, you will do well. And when they say 'read', they do not mean 'skim' or 'scan', they mean READ, A LOT!!!! That was their message about preparation.

They showed some funny clips from the Paper Chase and took a lot of questions form the audience.

The campus isn't pretty. Its a bunch of buildings in the middle of Newark. Parking is tight, but if you get to class early, you'll be ok. The student I had lunch with lived in the dorms, and he loves it. Clean and Convenient.

I walked around a little, there was a cop or police car like every 5 feet. The parking garage for the campus has a police station at the base. Lots of security cameras. I think the campus and surrounding streets are very safe.

I think finding off campus housing will be challenging. I saw a really nice apartment that was a 10 minute walk, but it was pricey.

Questions?

User avatar
Zeph
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby Zeph » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:48 pm

phooey182 wrote: They showed some funny clips from the Paper Chase and took a lot of questions form the audience



nice lol....Would be nice if I was admitted and got to see this stuff for myself, but alas I am on hold :cry:

I have heard nothing but good news about this place and would be very happy if I got in.

Keep the ASD stories coming, I have no questions off the top of my head really.

passitback
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby passitback » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:25 am

I agree with what's been posted thus far about the orientation, dorms, law building, and surrounding areas...

I'll add that I sat in on Professor Mark's presentation on Corporate law. I was thoroughly impressed with the performance. He simulated the "Socratic Method" for the class. Although some students were not comfortable with that style of facilitation (probably isn't everyones default method of learning), I loved it. The constant back and forth between student and professor was stimulating.

I walked out of the lecture telling myself that I need to be mentally sharp. Plenty of rest, coupled with exercise, and a balanced diet seem to be essential to one's success as a law student. I will argue that socializing is just as important.

BTW: I have the first round at McGovern's :lol:

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby king3780 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:40 am

passitback wrote:I agree with what's been posted thus far about the orientation, dorms, law building, and surrounding areas...

I'll add that I sat in on Professor Mark's presentation on Corporate law. I was thoroughly impressed with the performance. He simulated the "Socratic Method" for the class. Although some students were not comfortable with that style of facilitation (probably isn't everyones default method of learning), I loved it. The constant back and forth between student and professor was stimulating.

I walked out of the lecture telling myself that I need to be mentally sharp. Plenty of rest, coupled with exercise, and a balanced diet seem to be essential to one's success as a law student. I will argue that socializing is just as important.

BTW: I have the first round at McGovern's :lol:


I was in Prof. Mark's class, too. I loved it when the girl he was dogging got up and left to "catch a train."

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby king3780 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:43 am

A'nold wrote:
king3780 wrote:
Zeph wrote:
civil3d wrote:Anyone that attended Admitted Students Day on 3/27 have any thoughts or impressions?


im interested in this as well


I was there as well, so I'll share a couple thoughts. One, I really liked the law building. It wasn't brand new or anything, but it was nicely laid out, was still in good shape, well-maintained, and was well-regulated temperature wise. That may not be a big deal to some, but my undergrad is an older school and it can get frustrating sitting in a classroom that is too hot or too cold. The campus was about what I'd expect from an urban setting... just a bunch of buildings strewn across several blocks. For me, that's not a big deal, b/c I don't need a grassy quad or anything to be happy. The area didn't seem as bad as some people describe it. It was day time and there were some dilapidated buildings, but it certainly wasn't scary. The administration members and professors all seemed pretty cool. I was surprised by the diversity of the students present. I guess I knew Rutgers was diverse, but since I don't have a preference one way or another I hadn't really researched it. But there was a really cool mix of races, nationalities, socio-economic classes, etc. I think it will make for a fun learning process, having people of so many different backgrounds.


And you know this how? :?:

Haha, you'd know me by my tattered patched up jeans with a stick and a sack strung over my shoulder as I limped on by with my hunchback........ :)


A'nold, I can't tell if you're kidding or not, so I'll respond as if you're serious. I don't think someone needs to be wearing raggedy clothes to look poor or a nice new suit to look like like they're rich. To me it seemed pretty obvious who was dressed up on a rare occassion and who wears a sportcoat to dinner on a regular basis. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just reality that sometimes people in different socio-economic classes dress and carry themselves in a different way.

njlaw9624
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:47 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby njlaw9624 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:50 am

I was pretty impressed with the place. I sat in on the IP mock class and liked the professor's method. I had gone to seton hall for their admitted students day in Feb., but this convinced me to settle on rutgers. The law building is still pretty new (I think it was opened in 1999) and while the area wasn't beautiful, it was livable. Even though the dean said that rutgers doesn't put much stock into rankings, the employment stats and median starting salary information in USNEWS is well above what similarly ranked schools are showing. So, I sent in my tuition and housing deposits yesterday and I'll see you there in the fall.

User avatar
Giles Rich
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:52 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby Giles Rich » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:56 am

njlaw9624 wrote:I was pretty impressed with the place. I sat in on the IP mock class and liked the professor's method. I had gone to seton hall for their admitted students day in Feb., but this convinced me to settle on rutgers. The law building is still pretty new (I think it was opened in 1999) and while the area wasn't beautiful, it was livable. Even though the dean said that rutgers doesn't put much stock into rankings, the employment stats and median starting salary information in USNEWS is well above what similarly ranked schools are showing. So, I sent in my tuition and housing deposits yesterday and I'll see you there in the fall.


Just curious what you liked about Rutgers over Seton Hall (besides price)? I had the opposite impression and preferred Seton Hall.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby king3780 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:13 am

Giles Rich wrote:
njlaw9624 wrote:I was pretty impressed with the place. I sat in on the IP mock class and liked the professor's method. I had gone to seton hall for their admitted students day in Feb., but this convinced me to settle on rutgers. The law building is still pretty new (I think it was opened in 1999) and while the area wasn't beautiful, it was livable. Even though the dean said that rutgers doesn't put much stock into rankings, the employment stats and median starting salary information in USNEWS is well above what similarly ranked schools are showing. So, I sent in my tuition and housing deposits yesterday and I'll see you there in the fall.


Just curious what you liked about Rutgers over Seton Hall (besides price)? I had the opposite impression and preferred Seton Hall.


Still trying to decide which Newark school to attend?

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:58 am

Since they showed clips from the Paper Chase at the ASD, I watched the movie last night on Netflix. I also read the book. I think the movie is better than the book. Something to do the week before class!

passitback
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby passitback » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:15 pm

king3780 wrote:
passitback wrote:I agree with what's been posted thus far about the orientation, dorms, law building, and surrounding areas...

I'll add that I sat in on Professor Mark's presentation on Corporate law. I was thoroughly impressed with the performance. He simulated the "Socratic Method" for the class. Although some students were not comfortable with that style of facilitation (probably isn't everyones default method of learning), I loved it. The constant back and forth between student and professor was stimulating.

I walked out of the lecture telling myself that I need to be mentally sharp. Plenty of rest, coupled with exercise, and a balanced diet seem to be essential to one's success as a law student. I will argue that socializing is just as important.

BTW: I have the first round at McGovern's :lol:


I was in Prof. Mark's class, too. I loved it when the girl he was dogging got up and left to "catch a train."


I wonder if she yacked in the bathroom like that student in Paper Chase?

You had to love his POV on AIG...

User avatar
SillySil
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby SillySil » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:07 pm

.
Last edited by SillySil on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bayberrymoon
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby bayberrymoon » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:02 pm

passitback wrote:
king3780 wrote:
passitback wrote:I agree with what's been posted thus far about the orientation, dorms, law building, and surrounding areas...

I'll add that I sat in on Professor Mark's presentation on Corporate law. I was thoroughly impressed with the performance. He simulated the "Socratic Method" for the class. Although some students were not comfortable with that style of facilitation (probably isn't everyones default method of learning), I loved it. The constant back and forth between student and professor was stimulating.

I walked out of the lecture telling myself that I need to be mentally sharp. Plenty of rest, coupled with exercise, and a balanced diet seem to be essential to one's success as a law student. I will argue that socializing is just as important.

BTW: I have the first round at McGovern's :lol:


I was in Prof. Mark's class, too. I loved it when the girl he was dogging got up and left to "catch a train."


I wonder if she yacked in the bathroom like that student in Paper Chase?

You had to love his POV on AIG...


Aw, I hope that girl isn't on this forum. I was in the corporate law class too - I was the girl sitting near the front with the weird last name who asked about the difference between contractual and fiduciary and then went "uhh..." when he asked for a real life example :D

I guessed that would be his view on AIG. I go to undergrad where Prof. Mark went to law school, albeit long ago (UChicago) and that's def the sort of view a UChicago lawyer would have.

Oh, and thanks passitback, we all need to take you up on your offer of the first round at McGovern's :lol:

passitback
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby passitback » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:59 pm

No doubt. I was the student who requested he speak about AIG. Mark asked me what "a bonus" is...

Good times!!!

I learned that once you get to know the bartended at McGovern's, she hooks it up. For example, our tour guide of the University Sqaure Apartments told us that she recently spent 20 bucks on ten shots for her friends. (Borat voice) Niiiiiiiiiiiice. I liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby king3780 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:19 pm

passitback wrote:No doubt. I was the student who requested he speak about AIG. Mark asked me what "a bonus" is...

Good times!!!

I learned that once you get to know the bartended at McGovern's, she hooks it up. For example, our tour guide of the University Sqaure Apartments told us that she recently spent 20 bucks on ten shots for her friends. (Borat voice) Niiiiiiiiiiiice. I liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike.


I guess I should have bothered to turn around when you were talking to see who you were. Too bad we didn't think to have some kind of way (like putting a symbol on our nametags) to know who was on TLS.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby king3780 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:20 pm

bayberrymoon wrote:
passitback wrote:
king3780 wrote:
passitback wrote:I agree with what's been posted thus far about the orientation, dorms, law building, and surrounding areas...

I'll add that I sat in on Professor Mark's presentation on Corporate law. I was thoroughly impressed with the performance. He simulated the "Socratic Method" for the class. Although some students were not comfortable with that style of facilitation (probably isn't everyones default method of learning), I loved it. The constant back and forth between student and professor was stimulating.

I walked out of the lecture telling myself that I need to be mentally sharp. Plenty of rest, coupled with exercise, and a balanced diet seem to be essential to one's success as a law student. I will argue that socializing is just as important.

BTW: I have the first round at McGovern's :lol:


I was in Prof. Mark's class, too. I loved it when the girl he was dogging got up and left to "catch a train."


I wonder if she yacked in the bathroom like that student in Paper Chase?

You had to love his POV on AIG...


Aw, I hope that girl isn't on this forum. I was in the corporate law class too - I was the girl sitting near the front with the weird last name who asked about the difference between contractual and fiduciary and then went "uhh..." when he asked for a real life example :D

I guessed that would be his view on AIG. I go to undergrad where Prof. Mark went to law school, albeit long ago (UChicago) and that's def the sort of view a UChicago lawyer would have.

Oh, and thanks passitback, we all need to take you up on your offer of the first round at McGovern's :lol:


I definitely remember you :)

Oh wait, I hope that didn't come across as creepy. I just have a hard time not noticing attractive women.

User avatar
bayberrymoon
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby bayberrymoon » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:26 pm

king3780 wrote:
bayberrymoon wrote:
passitback wrote:
king3780 wrote:
I was in Prof. Mark's class, too. I loved it when the girl he was dogging got up and left to "catch a train."


I wonder if she yacked in the bathroom like that student in Paper Chase?

You had to love his POV on AIG...


Aw, I hope that girl isn't on this forum. I was in the corporate law class too - I was the girl sitting near the front with the weird last name who asked about the difference between contractual and fiduciary and then went "uhh..." when he asked for a real life example :D

I guessed that would be his view on AIG. I go to undergrad where Prof. Mark went to law school, albeit long ago (UChicago) and that's def the sort of view a UChicago lawyer would have.

Oh, and thanks passitback, we all need to take you up on your offer of the first round at McGovern's :lol:


I definitely remember you :)

Oh wait, I hope that didn't come across as creepy. I just have a hard time not noticing attractive women.


:oops: Thanks. Which one were you? :)

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:52 pm

Got an extension, just cannot decide! I loved the "law school", I hated Newark! Essentially what I do not like is having to make it from the school to my car at late at night unarmed.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby king3780 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:33 pm

I definitely remember you :)

Oh wait, I hope that didn't come across as creepy. I just have a hard time not noticing attractive women.[/quote]

:oops: Thanks. Which one were you? :)[/quote]

I was sitting about in the middle of the crowd, to the right side facing Prof. Mark. I had on blue slacks and a light blue checked shirt. I was sitting next to to the guy in the pink shirt that kept raising his hand.

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:25 pm

did anyone sit in on the Criminal Law prof? I did, I thought it was pretty interesting, 13 ways to steal a bike. I did not like the student who asked how a Defense Attorney could justify defending someone he knew was guilty. YOU ARE AN ATTORNEY! YOU REPRESENT YOUR CLIENT!

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby king3780 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:37 pm

phooey182 wrote:did anyone sit in on the Criminal Law prof? I did, I thought it was pretty interesting, 13 ways to steal a bike. I did not like the student who asked how a Defense Attorney could justify defending someone he knew was guilty. YOU ARE AN ATTORNEY! YOU REPRESENT YOUR CLIENT!


Can you give a synopsis of the presentation? It sounded like it might be interesting, but I went to corporate instead since that's a more likely career path for me. What were the 13 ways to steal a bike?

njlaw9624
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:47 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby njlaw9624 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:31 pm

king3780 wrote:
Giles Rich wrote:
njlaw9624 wrote:I was pretty impressed with the place. I sat in on the IP mock class and liked the professor's method. I had gone to seton hall for their admitted students day in Feb., but this convinced me to settle on rutgers. The law building is still pretty new (I think it was opened in 1999) and while the area wasn't beautiful, it was livable. Even though the dean said that rutgers doesn't put much stock into rankings, the employment stats and median starting salary information in USNEWS is well above what similarly ranked schools are showing. So, I sent in my tuition and housing deposits yesterday and I'll see you there in the fall.


Just curious what you liked about Rutgers over Seton Hall (besides price)? I had the opposite impression and preferred Seton Hall.



Well i definitely liked the price a lot more, also generally that it had a bit of a campus to live on. More importantly though I have been told that Rutgers has the better alumni network and I got a better impression of the staff. I did like seton hall a lot, but I just don't think it is worth the extra money in tuition.

User avatar
Zeph
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby Zeph » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:59 pm

njlaw9624 wrote:
king3780 wrote:
Giles Rich wrote:
njlaw9624 wrote:I was pretty impressed with the place. I sat in on the IP mock class and liked the professor's method. I had gone to seton hall for their admitted students day in Feb., but this convinced me to settle on rutgers. The law building is still pretty new (I think it was opened in 1999) and while the area wasn't beautiful, it was livable. Even though the dean said that rutgers doesn't put much stock into rankings, the employment stats and median starting salary information in USNEWS is well above what similarly ranked schools are showing. So, I sent in my tuition and housing deposits yesterday and I'll see you there in the fall.


Just curious what you liked about Rutgers over Seton Hall (besides price)? I had the opposite impression and preferred Seton Hall.



Well i definitely liked the price a lot more, also generally that it had a bit of a campus to live on. More importantly though I have been told that Rutgers has the better alumni network and I got a better impression of the staff. I did like seton hall a lot, but I just don't think it is worth the extra money in tuition.


Outside of the aesthetic, Seton Hall and Rutgers are comparable. Employment may be slightly better at Rutgers, but you're still going to have to be at the top of the class at either to get the highest paying jobs (a fair assumption for most schools), and really at this point its where do you think you will want to be for the next three years =)

User avatar
bayberrymoon
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby bayberrymoon » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:25 pm

Hey, everyone who knows or is pretty sure they're going to Rutgers-Newark should join the Facebook group, so we can start meeting each other in a venue somewhat (though not that that much) closer to real life :D




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest