Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
SillySil

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby SillySil » Sat May 09, 2009 7:45 pm

Last edited by SillySil on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

FiatLux

Postby FiatLux » Sun May 10, 2009 3:08 am

Since I was just admitted about a week and a half ago, I'm guessing I'll have to wait longer to receive my financial aid package. In addition, I just sent in my deposit a few days ago so I'm guessing they probably just received it on Friday. From my understanding, financial aid isn't even dispursed until a few days after classes start so it's kind of a moot point. I'm just curious about the level of grant aid they offer.

SillySil

Postby SillySil » Mon May 11, 2009 10:39 am

Last edited by SillySil on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

jpasqu1

Postby jpasqu1 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:16 am

SillySil wrote:
FiatLux wrote:Since I was just admitted about a week and a half ago, I'm guessing I'll have to wait longer to receive my financial aid package. In addition, I just sent in my deposit a few days ago so I'm guessing they probably just received it on Friday. From my understanding, financial aid isn't even dispursed until a few days after classes start so it's kind of a moot point. I'm just curious about the level of grant aid they offer.

I think the most important thing is the expected cost of attendance sheet that is coming, but really only for people that will need loans in addition to the federal loans you receive. The financial aid lady said that if you plan on getting private loans you should probably do so by the end of June at the latest. So I just wanted to throw that out there for anyone that will need to do that....if you don't need the extra loans, you'll just sign the promissory notes when they come and be all set and this is what will come with your final offer paperwork... I didn't ask about grant aid, that is usually need based right?

@ the ASD she mentioned something about a $1,000/year grant for NJ residents with a low enough EFC. I think she said that it is only for people who are currently residents as opposed to those who will get residency through the school for in-state tuition.

One El

Looking for housing?

Postby One El » Mon May 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi all,

I will be starting in the fall, as well and am looking for housing near campus. I don't want to go back to doubled up dorm rooms, and am instead looking for an apartment near campus. Has anyone found housing in the surrounding areas of Jersey City and Hoboken for a reasonable price? Ideally, I'd like to live with someone (for financial reasons and to keep me sane!), but I don't have a roommate in mind. Has anyone gone through this process?

Thanks!

dapoetic1

Re: Looking for housing?

Postby dapoetic1 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:10 pm

One El wrote:Hi all,

I will be starting in the fall, as well and am looking for housing near campus. I don't want to go back to doubled up dorm rooms, and am instead looking for an apartment near campus. Has anyone found housing in the surrounding areas of Jersey City and Hoboken for a reasonable price? Ideally, I'd like to live with someone (for financial reasons and to keep me sane!), but I don't have a roommate in mind. Has anyone gone through this process?

Thanks!

What's your idea of 'near' campus? Some people want to be within walking distance, and some don't mind being a 5 or 10 min train ride. Some people don't mind 45 minute commute. There's housing options within all of these criteria. Right around campus Ironbound is probably the closest. Most people don't typically want to live in Newark proper which is southwest of the law school. But the area to the north and east is a much different neighborhood. The housing is affordable and offers lots of options as far as studio-3 bed, apartment, lofts,condos.

Jersey City and Hoboken offer every type of housing you can imagine and in all kinds of price ranges. But not everything in those areas is close to the PATH which is the easiest way to get to Newark and the law school. So sometimes there can be a long commute because you have to take the bus and the light rail and the PATH.

There are a lot of luxury apartments that offer top of the line apartments and top of the line amenities. Depending on the need of your apartment size and your budget you can probably find some pretty incredible housing in the JC/Hoboken or Ironbound areas.

I'm partial to Jersey City specifcially the downtown/Van Vorst Park/Hamilton Park areas. They have affordable housing, close proximity to the PATH, close to NYC, lots of restarurants, coffee shops, and the neighborhood seems pretty cool overall.

One El

Postby One El » Tue May 12, 2009 11:22 am

I was thinking somewhere possibly in Newark. If in Newark, definitely within walking distance. If in a surrounding city/town, no more than 20 minutes combined train and walking. Has anyone applied for on campus housing? I am very averse to dorm living for some reason, and would much rather prefer to live in an apartment close to the school...apparently Halsey street is pretty close and has cute places?

One El

Postby One El » Tue May 12, 2009 12:06 pm

Just found this 3 Bedroom for anyone who is interested... let me know!

--LinkRemoved--

dapoetic1

Postby dapoetic1 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:21 pm

One El wrote:I was thinking somewhere possibly in Newark. If in Newark, definitely within walking distance. If in a surrounding city/town, no more than 20 minutes combined train and walking. Has anyone applied for on campus housing? I am very averse to dorm living for some reason, and would much rather prefer to live in an apartment close to the school...apparently Halsey street is pretty close and has cute places?

If you want to live in Newark I suggest you take about a week to spend time in Newark looking for housing. Newark isn't really the kind of city you can just rent a place without knowing exactly where it is. Newark has a few pockets of decent housing most of them are very close to the school. The further you get from the school the worse the good housing prospects become. There are a few new apt buildings in Newark close to the NJPAC (which is one of the nicer areas). One of the buildings is called the Colleoni (colleoniapartments.com), it's a new loft conversion and it's supposed to be really nice!

Halsey street (and the other historic streets around James St.) is a decent neighborhood. It's primarily small brownstones that are in a part of town that has been placed on the historical registry for restoration. The housing isn't exactly amazing, but it's very close to campus and it's fairly decent.

Ironbound is a great neighborhood in Newark, close to the law school and offers lots of housing options. The area specifically is probably one where you should at least take a day or two to pin down specific streets or areas and then you could probably be able to know the area well enough to get a place using online services. It is within walking distance of the campus.

If you get a place in JC that's very close to either the Journal Sq. PATH station or the Grove ST. Path Station you're just 2-3 quick stops to Newark Penn station which would put you right at the 20-25 minute commute time frame. If you move into the Newport buildings (newportnj.com) you add an extra stop to your commute but they have their own PATH station. Hoboken is the same way. There's a PATH station in Hoboken but you're probably looking at more like 25-35 minutes of commute time, possibly a little longer, but...nothing too major.

The housing in/around Newark and Ironbound are probably going to be cheaper than JC/Hoboken living, but as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for."

bobothecat

Postby bobothecat » Tue May 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Hey dapoetic-- I haven't explored Ironbound yet--would you consider it safer than the rest of Newark or is it pretty much the same?

dapoetic1

Postby dapoetic1 » Tue May 12, 2009 1:42 pm

bobothecat wrote:Hey dapoetic-- I haven't explored Ironbound yet--would you consider it safer than the rest of Newark or is it pretty much the same?

Yes--that is a fair assessment of Ironbound v. Newark.

Newark Penn Station divided Newark into two areas. The Ironbound is on one side and the rest of Newark is on the other. The Law school is on the "other side of the tracks" so to speak. Pretty much everything to the west of the law school (around University Ave) should be avoided.
East of Penn Station and south of Market and Ferry St. is kind of where Ironbound is and the neighborhoods are better than the west area. I'm certainly no expert on the Newark area.
But if you go you'll realize quickly that housing is very limited in Newark. VERY!!! It's not only unsafe, but the quality of housing is very poor. That part of Newark has not yet been given the attention and the funds to make it a better neighborhood.

At first glance Ironbound can seem a tad bit sketchy. But, if you spend a little time there you'll realize it's nothing like the other side of Newark. How comfortable you will be in Ironbound is kind of dependent on the kind of neighborhoods you're used to. It's a very ethnic neighborhood most of the people that live in Ironbound (aside from Rutger/Seton students) are mostly spanish and black. So to some living in a more ethnic and diverse environment takes a lot of getting used to. If you're from a very urban neighborhood and you're used to that kind of environment you'll find if very lively and fitting. But Ironbound is really cool IMO. Lots of great restarurants mostly owned and operated by the people that live there. So very authentic spanish, brazilian and portugese foods.

If you want to live near Newark but don't want the urban Ironbound or Jersey City or Hoboken life and prefer a more suburban atmostphere Irvington, Kearny and Harrison are good area, they're close and there's even a free shuttle that runs from the law school to those area after dark.

I considered living in Newark and being from Chicago I thought I would be able to find an area I was okay with because I wasn't put off my really urban areas or mostly ethnic neighborhoods--but Newark is a different beast. After spending most of your time in Newark at the law school you'll want somewhere to get away to. The law school is the best part of Newark and once you leave if you reside in Newark you're probably in for the night.

bobothecat

Postby bobothecat » Tue May 12, 2009 3:02 pm

Thank you much! very helpful indeed.

phooey182

Postby phooey182 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:16 pm

I'll be looking in South Orange. You can rent a house there for the same price as an apartment in Newark/Hoboken/Jersey city. It's about a 10 minute drive to campus.

addendum boy

Postby addendum boy » Tue May 12, 2009 10:07 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
bobothecat wrote:Hey dapoetic-- I haven't explored Ironbound yet--would you consider it safer than the rest of Newark or is it pretty much the same?

Newark Penn Station divided Newark into two areas. The Ironbound is on one side and the rest of Newark is on the other. The Law school is on the "other side of the tracks" so to speak. Pretty much everything to the west of the law school (around University Ave) should be avoided.
East of Penn Station and south of Market and Ferry St. is kind of where Ironbound is and the neighborhoods are better than the west area. I'm certainly no expert on the Newark area.
But if you go you'll realize quickly that housing is very limited in Newark. VERY!!! It's not only unsafe, but the quality of housing is very poor. That part of Newark has not yet been given the attention and the funds to make it a better neighborhood.

At first glance Ironbound can seem a tad bit sketchy. But, if you spend a little time there you'll realize it's nothing like the other side of Newark. How comfortable you will be in Ironbound is kind of dependent on the kind of neighborhoods you're used to. It's a very ethnic neighborhood most of the people that live in Ironbound (aside from Rutger/Seton students) are mostly spanish and black. So to some living in a more ethnic and diverse environment takes a lot of getting used to. If you're from a very urban neighborhood and you're used to that kind of environment you'll find if very lively and fitting. But Ironbound is really cool IMO. Lots of great restarurants mostly owned and operated by the people that live there. So very authentic spanish, brazilian and portugese foods.

If you want to live near Newark but don't want the urban Ironbound or Jersey City or Hoboken life and prefer a more suburban atmostphere Irvington, Kearny and Harrison are good area, they're close and there's even a free shuttle that runs from the law school to those area after dark.

I considered living in Newark and being from Chicago I thought I would be able to find an area I was okay with because I wasn't put off my really urban areas or mostly ethnic neighborhoods--but Newark is a different beast. After spending most of your time in Newark at the law school you'll want somewhere to get away to. The law school is the best part of Newark and once you leave if you reside in Newark you're probably in for the night.

Being born and raised in Newark, just felt compelled to address some issues here. Not stepping on toes, but writing this to possibly help out a couple prospective students.

Newark divided into 5 wards. North, South, West, East, Central.

Central: hub of Newark, downtown, office buildings, city hall, where law school is located surrounded by 3 other colleges (Rutgers undergrad, ECC, NJIT), etc.... Also home of some of the worst hoods in Newark as you can witness by walking a few blocks north of the law school. Predominately black. Around the colleges, diverse.
East: Ironbound, not predominately spanish & black. Predominately Brazilian & Portuguese. Majority of blacks live on the edges of the east ward (Pennington & Hyatt Court, Public Housing and the prudentials, huge mid rise that spans a city block) away from the hub of ferry street. Ferry Street & vicinity- totally safe. Some of the portuguese & brazilian people are more posh than the avg. white person.
West: Straight hood for the most part. 3 main streets roll through the west ward, Springfield, South Orange & Central, although all 3 of them also begin in the central ward. You can catch some decent housing at the tips of SO Ave and Springfield Ave where they border the towns of South Orange & Maplewood respectively, but if you are taking public transpo, be aware that the 2 buses that take you from those areas to the law school (#25 & #31) pass through the worst areas of Newark, which reflects the ridership at times, especially at night
South: Straight hood for the most part, but also home to quite a few luxurious houses, where the corrupt ex-mayor resides. Off of Lyons, quite a few tree lined residential streets that appear to be plucked out of a nearby suburb. Predominately black, used to be predominately Jewish. Also, keep in mind about the public transp issue referenced above
North: Predominately Puerto Rican & Dominican with an influx of blacks. Plenty of affordable apts, located close to the subway (bloomfield ave station), 10-15 min from the law school. Look for housing in the north high number streets ( North 10th-18th street). Many landlords love college students. Check craigs list, the star ledger, nj.com online, and local papers of surrounding towns like Belleville & Bloomfield Times. Landlords like to attract people living in these towns due to the perception that they are more orderly and the north ward is a hop away from these towns. Also hood sections in the north ward. Stay away from Park Ave side and Broadway side.

As a side note, you can look in the towns of Bloomfield and Belleville. Subway from law school extends into these towns (Grove St stop in Bloomfield, Branch Brook stop & another stop in Belleville) Very affordable, diverse, and maybe even a little closer than JC

nocalls4jeff

Postby nocalls4jeff » Tue May 12, 2009 11:07 pm

addendum - great post! This is really helpful to all us looking at housing options

jpasqu1

Postby jpasqu1 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:12 pm

addendum boy wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:

Being born and raised in Newark, just felt compelled to address some issues here. Not stepping on toes, but writing this to possibly help out a couple prospective students.

Central: hub of Newark, downtown, office buildings, city hall, where law school is located surrounded by 3 other colleges (Rutgers undergrad, ECC, NJIT), etc.... Also home of some of the worst hoods in Newark as you can witness by walking a few blocks north of the law school. Predominately black. Around the colleges, diverse.
East: Ironbound, not predominately spanish & black. Predominately Brazilian & Portuguese. Majority of blacks live on the edges of the east ward (Pennington & Hyatt Court, Public Housing and the prudentials, huge mid rise that spans a city block) away from the hub of ferry street. Ferry Street & vicinity- totally safe. Some of the portuguese & brazilian people are more posh than the avg. white person.
West: Straight hood for the most part. 3 main streets roll through the west ward, Springfield, South Orange & Central, although all 3 of them also begin in the central ward. You can catch some decent housing at the tips of SO Ave and Springfield Ave where they border the towns of South Orange & Maplewood respectively, but if you are taking public transpo, be aware that the 2 buses that take you from those areas to the law school (#25 & #31) pass through the worst areas of Newark, which reflects the ridership at times, especially at night
South: Straight hood for the most part, but also home to quite a few luxurious houses, where the corrupt ex-mayor resides. Off of Lyons, quite a few tree lined residential streets that appear to be plucked out of a nearby suburb. Predominately black, used to be predominately Jewish. Also, keep in mind about the public transp issue referenced above
North: Predominately Puerto Rican & Dominican with an influx of blacks. Plenty of affordable apts, located close to the subway (bloomfield ave station), 10-15 min from the law school. Look for housing in the north high number streets ( North 10th-18th street). Many landlords love college students. Check craigs list, the star ledger, nj.com online, and local papers of surrounding towns like Belleville & Bloomfield Times. Landlords like to attract people living in these towns due to the perception that they are more orderly and the north ward is a hop away from these towns. Also hood sections in the north ward. Stay away from Park Ave side and Broadway side.

As a side note, you can look in the towns of Bloomfield and Belleville. Subway from law school extends into these towns (Grove St stop in Bloomfield, Branch Brook stop & another stop in Belleville) Very affordable, diverse, and maybe even a little closer than JC

Dude, that was awesome. Thank you very much. I'm living in Usquare 1L but this will come in handy for the future.

dapoetic1

Postby dapoetic1 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:35 am

addendum boy wrote:Being born and raised in Newark, just felt compelled to address some issues here. Not stepping on toes, but writing this to possibly help out a couple prospective students.

Great post. Feel free to spread your expertise around. Like I said...I'm not expert on the area that was my assesment based on a few weeks I spent there. But it seems like even someone from the area thinks there are really only a couple of areas that are cool to live in when it comes to Newark?

Have you had a chance to see any of the new housing developments in Newark like the new lofts and condos they've built?

BTW--I'm dominican and people refer to me as either spanish or black and I don't mind one bit! When I say dominican they think in their minds "mexican" but when they see me they think I'm African-American :)
To be honest I thought Ironbound was really mostly Brazilians (who speak Portugese) but are there actually Portugese people there or is it really Brazilians?

One El

Postby One El » Wed May 13, 2009 11:06 am

Thanks for the wealth of information, everyone! I think I am going to take a look at Bloomfield for a house/apartment. Apparently it's a lot cheaper than living in nearby Montclair, and still has a cool downtown area. Please contact me if you're interested in moving in August!

FiatLux

Postby FiatLux » Wed May 13, 2009 4:21 pm

SillySil wrote:
FiatLux wrote:Since I was just admitted about a week and a half ago, I'm guessing I'll have to wait longer to receive my financial aid package. In addition, I just sent in my deposit a few days ago so I'm guessing they probably just received it on Friday. From my understanding, financial aid isn't even dispursed until a few days after classes start so it's kind of a moot point. I'm just curious about the level of grant aid they offer.

I think the most important thing is the expected cost of attendance sheet that is coming, but really only for people that will need loans in addition to the federal loans you receive. The financial aid lady said that if you plan on getting private loans you should probably do so by the end of June at the latest. So I just wanted to throw that out there for anyone that will need to do that....if you don't need the extra loans, you'll just sign the promissory notes when they come and be all set and this is what will come with your final offer paperwork... I didn't ask about grant aid, that is usually need based right?

Do Federal Graduate PLUS loans count as private loans? From my understanding, you apply for these loans from private lenders like Sallie Mae instead of completing promissary notes. I've read that eligibility for Federal Graduate PLUS loans is dependent on your credit history just like eligibility for private loans. Also, the financial aid lady said that all private loans applications should be completed by the end of June? In order to do that, I really hope we receive our financial aid packets soon.

FiatLux

Postby FiatLux » Wed May 13, 2009 4:31 pm

addendum boy wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:

I've heard reasonably good things about a few buildings in Newark. The downside is that I think most of these buildings are condos, not apartments. However, there are some units put up for rent by the owner. I've heard good things about the Renaissance building and the building at 88 Raymond (Raymond/Broad). Any thoughts on the viability of either of these places?

addendum boy

Postby addendum boy » Wed May 13, 2009 8:31 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
addendum boy wrote:Being born and raised in Newark, just felt compelled to address some issues here. Not stepping on toes, but writing this to possibly help out a couple prospective students.

Great post. Feel free to spread your expertise around. Like I said...I'm not expert on the area that was my assesment based on a few weeks I spent there. But it seems like even someone from the area thinks there are really only a couple of areas that are cool to live in when it comes to Newark?

Have you had a chance to see any of the new housing developments in Newark like the new lofts and condos they've built?

BTW--I'm dominican and people refer to me as either spanish or black and I don't mind one bit! When I say dominican they think in their minds "mexican" but when they see me they think I'm African-American :)
To be honest I thought Ironbound was really mostly Brazilians (who speak Portugese) but are there actually Portugese people there or is it really Brazilians?

Yeah, Ironbound is made up of mostly Brazilians from Brazil, who speak Portuguese also, and mad people from the country of Portugal. You will know the difference when u walk into a Portuguese restaurant such as Iberia opposed to a Brazilian joint like La Brasilia. BTW, best Dominican food is in North Newark. A few spots.

Yeah, there are only a couple spots to live in Newark that can be deemed fairly safe. Depending on what you can afford. Those new lofts and condos are most likely mad expensive. Real estate mongols are capitalizing on the rejuvenation of downtown Newark. Trying to draw in the NYC/JC/Hoboken crowd. I think getting a couple roommates would be ideal but that is just me. These 3-family cookie cutter homes are popping up all over Newark. There are a bunch in the Ironbound. I lived there during undergrad. 3 Bedrooms for like $1500. $500 a head. Everything brand new. Driveway if u have a vehicle. Close to campus.

dapoetic1

Postby dapoetic1 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:32 pm

FiatLux wrote:Do Federal Graduate PLUS loans count as private loans? From my understanding, you apply for these loans from private lenders like Sallie Mae instead of completing promissary notes. I've read that eligibility for Federal Graduate PLUS loans is dependent on your credit history just like eligibility for private loans. Also, the financial aid lady said that all private loans applications should be completed by the end of June? In order to do that, I really hope we receive our financial aid packets soon.

Grad Plus loans are federal loans not private. You can only get a Grad Plus loan up to the amount of the cost of your education minus any other loans. so they take into consideration you stafford loans and scholarships. You can apply for financial aid and if you receive more money in loans that you need you can decrease the amount you want to accept. Just because they approve you for say $50k in loans doesn't mean you have to take it all if your total cost of attendance only come out to $45k (actually you can't take the full 50 in that case)
If the stafford loan doesn't cover all of your costs (which is probably won't if you need it for full tuition and/room and board) then your next loan should be a GradPlus. If after that you still think you need more $$$ then you should look to a private lender. Private lenders are places like Banks, Credit Unions, etc. Those places will in fact check your credit history to determine how much you can borrow and at what rate.

Eligibility for private education loans typically depends on your debt-to-income ratio and FICO score. Eligibility for the PLUS Loan does not depend on these factors. You can get a PLUS loan even if you have a bad credit score, so long as you don't have an adverse credit history (i.e., no more than 90 days late on any debt and no defaults, bankruptcies or other adverse action on any Title IV debt).

Both the Grad PLUS and private student loans are student obligations. With the Grad PLUS a parent may be added to the loan as an endorser if the student has an adverse credit history or if the parent wants to help pay for the loan. With private student loans the parent can cosign the loan if the student has bad credit or if they have better credit (cosigning often reduces the interest rates and fees).

finaid.org/loans

dapoetic1

Postby dapoetic1 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:38 pm

addendum boy wrote:Yeah, Ironbound is made up of mostly Brazilians from Brazil, who speak Portuguese also, and mad people from the country of Portugal. You will know the difference when u walk into a Portuguese restaurant such as Iberia opposed to a Brazilian joint like La Brasilia. BTW, best Dominican food is in North Newark. A few spots.

SWEEEET!!!!! I really almost moved into the Ironbound just because of all the restaurants. I only ate at a few...but I was torn. But ultimately I've decided against it just because I want a change of scenery from Newark after spending the better part of my day in the law school I think I'll just want to get away.

Those new buildings are not as expensive as I thought they would be. If they were in JC they'd probably be almost twice what they are in Newark. I also considered some of those new houses popping up. But then I went to JC and discovered all those brownstones and thought I could have the best of both worlds. Fairly affordable housing close to Newark and NYC and in a great neighborhood. I like the idea of being able to go and walk around downtown JC--that didn't really seem like an option if I lived in Newark. I feel like I'd be more limited. But I'll definitely be in the Ironbound for dinner!!!

addendum do you live in Newark for school now? are you going to rutgers for law school?

addendum boy

Postby addendum boy » Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
addendum boy wrote:Yeah, Ironbound is made up of mostly Brazilians from Brazil, who speak Portuguese also, and mad people from the country of Portugal. You will know the difference when u walk into a Portuguese restaurant such as Iberia opposed to a Brazilian joint like La Brasilia. BTW, best Dominican food is in North Newark. A few spots.

SWEEEET!!!!! I really almost moved into the Ironbound just because of all the restaurants. I only ate at a few...but I was torn. But ultimately I've decided against it just because I want a change of scenery from Newark after spending the better part of my day in the law school I think I'll just want to get away.

Those new buildings are not as expensive as I thought they would be. If they were in JC they'd probably be almost twice what they are in Newark. I also considered some of those new houses popping up. But then I went to JC and discovered all those brownstones and thought I could have the best of both worlds. Fairly affordable housing close to Newark and NYC and in a great neighborhood. I like the idea of being able to go and walk around downtown JC--that didn't really seem like an option if I lived in Newark. I feel like I'd be more limited. But I'll definitely be in the Ironbound for dinner!!!

addendum do you live in Newark for school now? are you going to rutgers for law school?

LOL, trueeeee. Sounds like a good deal for you. I'm a non-trad student. Lived in Newark all my life to last year at the age of 32. Bought a house in the next town over, Belleville. Decided to attend college at the age of 25. Graduated from Essex County College, then Rutgers Newark, and then grad school at the Rutgers School of Criminal Justice, which is located in the law school (5th floor).

I only applied to Rutgers Law and was waitlisted. No biggie, we'll see what happens. Applied part time due to responsibilities. My wife is Dominican btw.

I have been working at Pepsi for a while now. Major had nothing do with what I'm doing now there but the company is great. (pay, schedule & benefits). Just looking for a career change. Don't want to life heavy cases of soda for the rest of my life.

I am not looking for the money or prestige of big law. Have plenty of money invested that is growing exponentially. Ideally, I'd like to work public interest and have a flexible schedule. There are so many ways to make $$$. Don't want to work 90 hours a week, ignoring my wife and kids. Hopefully everything pans out. Worse case scenario, get rejected, retake LSAT and apply next year

jpasqu1

Postby jpasqu1 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:59 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:

I almost wish RU and SHU swapped places. Across from Don Pepe = awesome.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”