Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:36 pm

FiatLux wrote:I have to agree with the poster above, the convenience of the dorms is great but I'd imagine that I'd feel kind of cramped after the 1st year. In addition, I don't want to go through the hassle of moving again after the first year when I'm already incurring the hassle of moving from Los Angeles to Newark right now. For those reasons, I'm currently looking at my apartment options in Ironbound as that would provide convenient access to Penn Station and it's a reasonable distance away from the campus. I'm just worried that living in an apartment my 1st year might limit my opportunities to meet fellow students.

I saw a post from another Californian above, any other west coasters around here? I'm currently in the Greater Los Angeles area but I've been living in Southern California for most of my life and I'm definitely ready for a change of setting, access to a new metropolitan area, and the opportunity to meet students from around the country. This is such a relief, I've basically been preparing to go to Syracuse Law up until I was notified of my acceptance last week.


Hey that's weird, I'm moving from LA to Newark too. Just how may Californians do we have in our class anyways? I'm in Redondo Beach btw.

User avatar
jpasqu1
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:10 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby jpasqu1 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:43 pm

phooey182 wrote:
FiatLux wrote:I have to agree with the poster above, the convenience of the dorms is great but I'd imagine that I'd feel kind of cramped after the 1st year. In addition, I don't want to go through the hassle of moving again after the first year when I'm already incurring the hassle of moving from Los Angeles to Newark right now. For those reasons, I'm currently looking at my apartment options in Ironbound as that would provide convenient access to Penn Station and it's a reasonable distance away from the campus. I'm just worried that living in an apartment my 1st year might limit my opportunities to meet fellow students.

I saw a post from another Californian above, any other west coasters around here? I'm currently in the Greater Los Angeles area but I've been living in Southern California for most of my life and I'm definitely ready for a change of setting, access to a new metropolitan area, and the opportunity to meet students from around the country. This is such a relief, I've basically been preparing to go to Syracuse Law up until I was notified of my acceptance last week.


Hey that's weird, I'm moving from LA to Newark too. Just how may Californians do we have in our class anyways? I'm in Redondo Beach btw.


I don't know if any of you are on the facebook group but there is someone from California and someone from Miami on there.

nic_john
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby nic_john » Wed May 06, 2009 4:48 pm

FiatLux wrote:I have to agree with the poster above, the convenience of the dorms is great but I'd imagine that I'd feel kind of cramped after the 1st year. In addition, I don't want to go through the hassle of moving again after the first year when I'm already incurring the hassle of moving from Los Angeles to Newark right now. For those reasons, I'm currently looking at my apartment options in Ironbound as that would provide convenient access to Penn Station and it's a reasonable distance away from the campus. I'm just worried that living in an apartment my 1st year might limit my opportunities to meet fellow students.

I saw a post from another Californian above, any other west coasters around here? I'm currently in the Greater Los Angeles area but I've been living in Southern California for most of my life and I'm definitely ready for a change of setting, access to a new metropolitan area, and the opportunity to meet students from around the country. This is such a relief, I've basically been preparing to go to Syracuse Law up until I was notified of my acceptance last week.


I grew up in Southern California too! im currently living in Riverside. I am soooo ready for a change of setting!!

Dacos
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby Dacos » Wed May 06, 2009 11:27 pm

For those of you that are familiar with the ranking or non-ranking system, is there anyway to figure out your rank even if its not provided to you?

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby dapoetic1 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:46 pm

Dacos wrote:For those of you that are familiar with the ranking or non-ranking system, is there anyway to figure out your rank even if its not provided to you?


Hmmmm...interesting question.
I think they may make it purposely obscure for the benefit of the student. If you can figure out your rank then so can employers which could ultimately hurt you if you're below an cut-off they may have. But I'm sure there's probably some kind of way to figure out some basic ranking

If you know the curve is say 3.0 (and typically the curve is between 2.9 and 3.1) and you're below that obviously you're in the bottom 50% of the class Conversely if you're at a 3.0 you can probably safely say you're at least 50%. Then would think the grade break down would be something like 3.1 top 40% 3.3 top 33% 3.5 top 15% 3.7 top 10% 3.9 top 5%. These are of course just my best guesstimates

I think somewhere on the Rutgers site there was some kind of official grade breakdown. It showed very specific GPA's and the number of people that received that grade. But good luck finding it.

Dacos
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby Dacos » Wed May 06, 2009 11:55 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
Dacos wrote:For those of you that are familiar with the ranking or non-ranking system, is there anyway to figure out your rank even if its not provided to you?


Hmmmm...interesting question.
I think they may make it purposely obscure for the benefit of the student. If you can figure out your rank then so can employers which could ultimately hurt you if you're below an cut-off they may have. But I'm sure there's probably some kind of way to figure out some basic ranking

If you know the curve is say 3.0 (and typically the curve is between 2.9 and 3.1) and you're below that obviously you're in the bottom 50% of the class Conversely if you're at a 3.0 you can probably safely say you're at least 50%. Then would think the grade break down would be something like 3.1 top 40% 3.3 top 33% 3.5 top 15% 3.7 top 10% 3.9 top 5%. These are of course just my best guesstimates

I think somewhere on the Rutgers site there was some kind of official grade breakdown. It showed very specific GPA's and the number of people that received that grade. But good luck finding it.


I heard something about a grade distribution graph somewhere... but I forgot from where...

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby dapoetic1 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:21 am

This isn't the exact chart, but it's a link to the breakdown of the GPA system

http://www.law.newark.rutgers.edu/stude ... nd-records

Here's information from the student handbook. It doesn't say much. Seems like grading is kept pretty generic

Grading Pattern
There is no requirement at the law school that grades in upper class courses follow a specific distribution. First year required courses (with the exception of Legal Research & Writing I/II) must average between 2.925 and 3.075, regardless of the size of the class. First year fresh-man electives and the course in Legal Research and Writing I/II are not subject to this rule. However, the Legal Research & Writing instructors have agreed among themselves that the grades in each LRW section must have an average between 2.90 and 3.10

Honors and Prizes/ Order of the Coif: Neither class rank nor class standing is disclosed to students or to the public for any purpose for students at the law school. Academic honors are awarded by the faculty on the recommendation of the faculty members of the Committee on Scholastic Standing on the basis of distinguished scholastic attainment over the entire law school career. Generally, those who receive honors will also be elected to the Order of the Coif, the law's equivalent of Phi Beta Kappa. The calculation is made immediately prior to graduation and may be awarded to not more than ten percent of the graduating class. ("Grading Policies" above describes the numerical equivalent of letter grades and the policy on the minimum number of credits in graded courses required of candidates for honors and grade-based prizes.) Honors are based on grade-point average. The faculty members of the Committee on Scholastic Stand-ing, in consultation with other faculty members, also select the recipients of various specialized graduation prizes for achievement in a variety of legal disciplines.

losjeans
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby losjeans » Thu May 07, 2009 12:37 pm

x
Last edited by losjeans on Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

FiatLux
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 2:58 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby FiatLux » Thu May 07, 2009 3:29 pm

Does anyone know of a good apartment listing service for northern New Jersey? I'm specifically interested in the Ironbound section of Newark because of its proximity to Newark Penn Station, local restaurants, and the RU campus. Feel free to post any listing services you can recommend in this thread or PM me.

User avatar
palmettoru
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby palmettoru » Thu May 07, 2009 3:42 pm

I apologize if this has been asked before, but if Rutgers Newark does not disclose grades/class rank to employers, how does OCI work? What distinguishes between who can interview for biglaw and who cannot? Thanks in advance!

User avatar
jpasqu1
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:10 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby jpasqu1 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:09 pm

palmettoru wrote:I apologize if this has been asked before, but if Rutgers Newark does not disclose grades/class rank to employers, how does OCI work? What distinguishes between who can interview for biglaw and who cannot? Thanks in advance!


The way they explained it was that employers are still using GPA to determine who they are going to talk to. They know the ballpark a certain GPA is in. It is there to help people who's GPA might place them 5% out of a certain employer's requirement get an interview.

User avatar
bayberrymoon
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby bayberrymoon » Thu May 07, 2009 6:26 pm

jpasqu1 wrote:
palmettoru wrote:I apologize if this has been asked before, but if Rutgers Newark does not disclose grades/class rank to employers, how does OCI work? What distinguishes between who can interview for biglaw and who cannot? Thanks in advance!


The way they explained it was that employers are still using GPA to determine who they are going to talk to. They know the ballpark a certain GPA is in. It is there to help people who's GPA might place them 5% out of a certain employer's requirement get an interview.


jpasqu1, are you saying that employers do get students' GPA, or a ballpark one? I'm a little confused.

The way I figured it goes is that employers say, for example, "give me the resumes of only your top 10%." So Rutgers complies with this for the most part, but sneaks in a few below the top 10% they still think have great potential for the job and would be somewhat unfairly disqualified otherwise. (That is, if they are telling the truth about not disclosing grades/class rank.) I did think though that biglaw firms always had copies of a student's transcript in an interview - so how does that work? Hmm.

passitback
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby passitback » Thu May 07, 2009 7:42 pm

I received an email message today in regard to my withdrawal from the '12 class. I have the option of deferring until next year, and may do it. Just giving a heads up. I hope one of you gets my seat in this year's class.

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby dapoetic1 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:55 pm

@losjeans--i haven't nailed down a specific place but i'm 99.9% sure it'll be in JC and most likely close to the Grove St PATH

@fiatlux- try Craigslist they have tons of listings, also libertyrealestate.com, and NJMLS.com.
Companies like Prudential, Remax and Coldwell Banker also have rental properties they advertise

@palmettoru,barrymoon--here's the deal with non-discolsed GPA. When employers come to OCI they can not request to see only students with a certain class rank. Rutgers does not provide that information. Nor can employers ask to see only students above a certain GPA. Rutgers will not give that information out.

As a student you will be able to calculate your own GPA. All letter grades are given a numerical GPA. If you use the standard way of averaging grades, GPAs then you will be able to figure out your own GPA. If you want to calculate your GPA and put in on a resume you are more than welcome. However, an employer will not have the ability to know which students are at the top or bottom of the class without in fact interviewing a large sampling of the class that actually print their own GPA's on their resumes. So for instance, say an employer interviews a student with a 3.7 they don't know if that student is top 20 or top 5. Likewise the students will never know if he/she is in the top 20 or top 5 and will therefore never be able to publish his/her rank in relation to the class only the GPA.
But if that same employer interviews 3 students and they have a 3.0 3.1 3.2--the employer would not know if these three are at the median of the class or if they're at the top---or even the bottom half of the class.

It really forces employers to interview everyone they possibly can based on more than just GPA or class rank.
Rutgers will never hand out class rank or GPA or allow employers to only pull students in a certain group based soley on those factors. Which is quite different from the way a lot of other schools run OCI. At some school's student not in the top 20 or even top 10 percent aren't even invited to OCI and therefore employers miss out on potentially great employees/students because they were below an arbitrary cutoff.

hth

User avatar
jpasqu1
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:10 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby jpasqu1 » Thu May 07, 2009 8:34 pm

bayberrymoon wrote:
jpasqu1 wrote:
palmettoru wrote:I apologize if this has been asked before, but if Rutgers Newark does not disclose grades/class rank to employers, how does OCI work? What distinguishes between who can interview for biglaw and who cannot? Thanks in advance!


The way they explained it was that employers are still using GPA to determine who they are going to talk to. They know the ballpark a certain GPA is in. It is there to help people who's GPA might place them 5% out of a certain employer's requirement get an interview.


jpasqu1, are you saying that employers do get students' GPA, or a ballpark one? I'm a little confused.

The way I figured it goes is that employers say, for example, "give me the resumes of only your top 10%." So Rutgers complies with this for the most part, but sneaks in a few below the top 10% they still think have great potential for the job and would be somewhat unfairly disqualified otherwise. (That is, if they are telling the truth about not disclosing grades/class rank.) I did think though that biglaw firms always had copies of a student's transcript in an interview - so how does that work? Hmm.


They will have our actual GPA but it gives more people the opportunity to interview. I'd guess that the firms that always recruit at Rutgers will know roughly what GPA is the top x% but more people will have the opportunity to interview for those positions. Were you at the ASD back in January. I felt they did a better job explaining it there then they did at the big one in March.

Edit: @dapoetic1: I could have swore they said employers will know our GPA but that was back in January so I may be remembering wrong.

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby dapoetic1 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:18 pm

jpasqu1 wrote:
bayberrymoon wrote:
jpasqu1 wrote:
palmettoru wrote:I apologize if this has been asked before, but if Rutgers Newark does not disclose grades/class rank to employers, how does OCI work? What distinguishes between who can interview for biglaw and who cannot? Thanks in advance!


The way they explained it was that employers are still using GPA to determine who they are going to talk to. They know the ballpark a certain GPA is in. It is there to help people who's GPA might place them 5% out of a certain employer's requirement get an interview.


jpasqu1, are you saying that employers do get students' GPA, or a ballpark one? I'm a little confused.

The way I figured it goes is that employers say, for example, "give me the resumes of only your top 10%." So Rutgers complies with this for the most part, but sneaks in a few below the top 10% they still think have great potential for the job and would be somewhat unfairly disqualified otherwise. (That is, if they are telling the truth about not disclosing grades/class rank.) I did think though that biglaw firms always had copies of a student's transcript in an interview - so how does that work? Hmm.


They will have our actual GPA but it gives more people the opportunity to interview. I'd guess that the firms that always recruit at Rutgers will know roughly what GPA is the top x% but more people will have the opportunity to interview for those positions. Were you at the ASD back in January. I felt they did a better job explaining it there then they did at the big one in March.

Edit: @dapoetic1: I could have swore they said employers will know our GPA but that was back in January so I may be remembering wrong.


The GPA is calculable. They tell you what every letter grade equates to. But it's up to the student to provide the employer with the GPA. Obviously students with good GPA's will probably provide that info, but you're not required to. The employers can't make cutoff for only interviewing people with a certain GPA.
However, it doesn't preclude the employer from asking for a copy of your transcripts. But...at least they will have to invite you to an interview to do so. The whole point is to at least get you the interview.

losjeans
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby losjeans » Thu May 07, 2009 9:25 pm

x
Last edited by losjeans on Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jpasqu1
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:10 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby jpasqu1 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:24 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:The GPA is calculable. They tell you what every letter grade equates to. But it's up to the student to provide the employer with the GPA. Obviously students with good GPA's will probably provide that info, but you're not required to. The employers can't make cutoff for only interviewing people with a certain GPA.
However, it doesn't preclude the employer from asking for a copy of your transcripts. But...at least they will have to invite you to an interview to do so. The whole point is to at least get you the interview.


Alright, cool.

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Fri May 08, 2009 1:09 pm

If you want employers to know your GPA, just bring a copy of your transcript to the interview.

Personally, I'll probably have a copy for them, but won't offer it unless they ask. But I hope I'll be impressive enough with my personality that they won't ask for grades.

User avatar
dapoetic1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby dapoetic1 » Fri May 08, 2009 2:13 pm

Rutgers Law+ Winning Personality=BIG LAW!!!!

You know Phooey...It think you're on to something!

vyper
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:28 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby vyper » Fri May 08, 2009 2:16 pm

Just to clarify... even if an OCI employer doesn't ask specifically for a transcript... if you don't have your GPA on your resume (which they definitely will require before they choose the limited # of student bids to accept to interview), it's likely they're going to assume it's not a very good GPA, and probably are not going to give you an interview bid.

Moral of the story: kick ass and get a good GPA so you are dying to let employers see it.

Praying OCI employers won't notice the inconspicuous lack of a GPA on your resume isn't a viable method of career success.

User avatar
jpasqu1
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:10 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby jpasqu1 » Fri May 08, 2009 3:48 pm

vyper wrote:Just to clarify... even if an OCI employer doesn't ask specifically for a transcript... if you don't have your GPA on your resume (which they definitely will require before they choose the limited # of student bids to accept to interview), it's likely they're going to assume it's not a very good GPA, and probably are not going to give you an interview bid.

Moral of the story: kick ass and get a good GPA so you are dying to let employers see it.

Praying OCI employers won't notice the inconspicuous lack of a GPA on your resume isn't a viable method of career success.


Yeah, that makes more sense. I think the idea of not ranking is to help people who have a ranking a few percentage points outside of x%.

vyper
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:28 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby vyper » Fri May 08, 2009 4:25 pm

Yeah, that makes more sense. I think the idea of not ranking is to help people who have a ranking a few percentage points outside of x%.


Exactly. It's to benefit the guy who would be, say top 12% in his class, at a firm that would interview only the top 10% if rank was provided.

The firm is going to know roughly where you fall rank-wise, with a deviation of a few %... leading them to interview that guy who is top 12%, and to look at factors other than just his class rank.

User avatar
bayberrymoon
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby bayberrymoon » Fri May 08, 2009 5:04 pm

vyper wrote:
Yeah, that makes more sense. I think the idea of not ranking is to help people who have a ranking a few percentage points outside of x%.


Exactly. It's to benefit the guy who would be, say top 12% in his class, at a firm that would interview only the top 10% if rank was provided.

The firm is going to know roughly where you fall rank-wise, with a deviation of a few %... leading them to interview that guy who is top 12%, and to look at factors other than just his class rank.


Makes perfect sense. Thanks for clarifying 8)

phooey182
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby phooey182 » Sat May 09, 2009 12:24 pm

Did anyone go to the meet-n-greet on May 7th at Lowenstein Sandler?




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests