Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
nic_john

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby nic_john » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:18 pm

I got my invitation to MSP shortly after receiving my acceptance package.

phooey182

Postby phooey182 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:10 pm

Since I have an interest in Public Interest Law, and I suspect many of you do as well, I thought the following report on Indigent Defense was interesting.

--LinkRemoved--

bobothecat

Postby bobothecat » Fri May 01, 2009 2:46 pm

Just got back from mailing my seat deposit so it's done and official. Looking forward to meeting my classmates in the evening program!

passitback

Postby passitback » Fri May 01, 2009 3:26 pm

I will be sending my withdrawal letter from R-N (and every other school I applied to) tomorrow morning. The economy sucks donkey kong, and I can not afford to gamble on a legal career at this stage of the game. I hope those of you who do not have to worry about finances appreciate the wonderful opportunity ahead of you. I wish you well, and would have loved to become better acquainted with you at McGoverns, but everything happens for a reason, I think.

PS: I hope you get in zeph.

Zeph

Postby Zeph » Fri May 01, 2009 3:32 pm

passitback wrote:I will be sending my withdrawal letter from R-N (and every other school I applied to) tomorrow morning. The economy sucks donkey kong, and I can not afford to gamble on a legal career at this stage of the game. I hope those of you who do not have to worry about finances appreciate the wonderful opportunity ahead of you. I wish you well, and would have loved to become better acquainted with you at McGoverns, but everything happens for a reason, I think.

PS: I hope you get in zeph.

I do appreciate the gesture, but bleh that sucks man. I wish you luck on all of your endeavors and to you and your family.

Come on TLS every once in a while and keep in touch

nic_john

Postby nic_john » Sat May 02, 2009 6:55 pm

Does anyone know when the 2nd deposit is due?

Gosha79

Postby Gosha79 » Sat May 02, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi
There is no second deposit, only one deposit of $300 and that's it as far as I know. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.
Thanks

king3780

Postby king3780 » Sat May 02, 2009 8:56 pm

That's my understand... no second deposit.

jpasqu1

Postby jpasqu1 » Sat May 02, 2009 10:46 pm

king3780 wrote:That's my understand... no second deposit.

I've got the sheet I got with my acceptance in front of me. It only says the first $300 deposit. There is nothing about a second deposit.

dapoetic1

Postby dapoetic1 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:30 pm

nic_john wrote:Does anyone know when the 2nd deposit is due?

Sometime around September and it's approximately $23,000--it's called tuition :lol:
Yeah these guys are right. You only have 1 deposit due.

For those on hold that's a good sign. Often people put down one deposit but schools don't look at the WL until after the second (usually binding) deposit which can be around June.

Zeph

Postby Zeph » Sun May 03, 2009 11:55 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
For those on hold that's a good sign. Often people put down one deposit but schools don't look at the WL until after the second (usually binding) deposit which can be around June.

indeed, lets see what happens =)

phooey182

Postby phooey182 » Mon May 04, 2009 12:31 pm

submitted my resignation to my employer, and my 30 days notice on my apartment. Half of the people at work think I'm crazy to become a lawyer in this economy. The other half are jealous.

Zeph

Postby Zeph » Mon May 04, 2009 1:37 pm

phooey182 wrote:submitted my resignation to my employer, and my 30 days notice on my apartment. Half of the people at work think I'm crazy to become a lawyer in this economy. The other half are jealous.

lol let the haters hate and keep on shining ;)

FiatLux

Postby FiatLux » Tue May 05, 2009 3:17 am

Greetings from southern California! I was accepted via an email from Dean Walton last week and I just received my acceptance packet today in the mail. I'm REALLY excited to move to the east coast and attend a school as diverse and regionally strong as Rutgers-Newark. Rutgers-Newark was one of my top choices throughout the admissions process and I'm both relieved and grateful to be accepted.

To Zeph: Hang in there! I hope you get accepted!

P.S.: Does anyone know if there are any required summer reading assignments? I went through my entire admissions packet and didn't find any information about summer reading assignments. If there is an "Admitted Students" section on the website that has all of this info, I didn't find a group username or password in my packet either.

jpasqu1

Postby jpasqu1 » Tue May 05, 2009 3:52 am

FiatLux wrote:Greetings from southern California! I was accepted via an email from Dean Walton last week and I just received my acceptance packet today in the mail. I'm REALLY excited to move to the east coast and attend a school as diverse and regionally strong as Rutgers-Newark. Rutgers-Newark was one of my top choices throughout the admissions process and I'm both relieved and grateful to be accepted.

P.S.: Does anyone know if there are any required summer reading assignments? I went through my entire admissions packet and didn't find any information about summer reading assignments. If there is an "Admitted Students" section on the website that has all of this info, I didn't find a group username or password in my packet either.

As you probably noticed they recently updated their website. Until they did that they had an admitted students part of the website although now it is a dead link. I looked at the current 1L classes facebook group and they seem to have found out assignments and sections in late July.

FiatLux

Postby FiatLux » Tue May 05, 2009 4:43 am

jpasqu1 wrote:
FiatLux wrote:Greetings from southern California! I was accepted via an email from Dean Walton last week and I just received my acceptance packet today in the mail. I'm REALLY excited to move to the east coast and attend a school as diverse and regionally strong as Rutgers-Newark. Rutgers-Newark was one of my top choices throughout the admissions process and I'm both relieved and grateful to be accepted.

As you probably noticed they recently updated their website. Until they did that they had an admitted students part of the website although now it is a dead link. I looked at the current 1L classes facebook group and they seem to have found out assignments and sections in late July.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just focus on arranging housing first. I don't want to feel like I'm a college freshman, so I don't think University Heights or Talbott is for me. I hope there are decent housing options in Ironbound because I'd love to be close to Newark-Penn Station.

P.S.: Congratulations to all the admits in this thread!

jpasqu1

Postby jpasqu1 » Tue May 05, 2009 4:56 am

FiatLux wrote:
jpasqu1 wrote:

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just focus on arranging housing first. I don't want to feel like I'm a college freshman, so I don't think University Heights or Talbott is for me. I hope there are decent housing options in Ironbound because I'd love to be close to Newark-Penn Station.

I'm not looking into off-campus housing so I'm not sure what Rutgers has on their website but if they don't have much and you're interested in the Ironbound you might want to poke around SHU's website. They're either in it or next to it, i'm not quite up to speed 100% on my Newark geography yet. I know lots of their students live within a short walk of their school which is also a shortish walk to RU.

Zeph

Postby Zeph » Tue May 05, 2009 10:44 am

I really appreciate that =)

Here's to hoping!

dapoetic1

Postby dapoetic1 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:22 pm

FiatLux wrote:
jpasqu1 wrote:

Congrats Fiat!!!
Ironbound is a cool neighborhood. It's very diverse. Most of the people that live there are portugese and they've opened up a ton of amazing restaurants. Also the cost of living is really low (comparatively). But it is literally on the other side of Penn station and just a short walk to the law school. Some people will say that the walk from the law school to Penn Station is a dangerous walk, but honestly since they've put up the Prudential building and the NJPAC the street connecting those buildings to the park that sits between them and the law school makes it a pretty decent walk. But there is a free shuttle in the evening from the school to Penn Station.
There's lots of apartments and things in Ironbound and you should probably be able to find something decent with a good size and good price. Craigslist actually has a lot of apartments listed for Ironbound. I would definitely recommend trying to visit for a few days to get an idea of the type of housing you want and a specific area. I'm not 100% positive but I think Dean Walton told me she lives in Ironbound. If it's good enough for the Dean...

As far as summer reading the sections and early/late tracks have not been determined yet. I do think they will be out mid-summer. I'm not sure if there's any actual "summer" reading. But I'm sure the assignments for the first day of class will be mentioned. I think the old website used to have a link to the section you were in and then the assignments that were do. So maybe when they get it all figured out they'll update the new website with the new information.

Again..Congrats, and Welcome!

sunshine429

Postby sunshine429 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:24 pm

Is anyone thinking about living on campus???? Just wanted everyone's thought on that.

jpasqu1

Postby jpasqu1 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:52 pm

sunshine429 wrote:Is anyone thinking about living on campus???? Just wanted everyone's thought on that.

I'm doing it 1L I don't plan on doing it beyond that. I figure its the easiest way to meet a lot of people in addition to forcing myself to study in the library more.

nic_john

Postby nic_john » Tue May 05, 2009 1:55 pm

jpasqu1 wrote:
sunshine429 wrote:Is anyone thinking about living on campus???? Just wanted everyone's thought on that.

I'm doing it 1L I don't plan on doing it beyond that. I figure its the easiest way to meet a lot of people in addition to forcing myself to study in the library more.

Same here. Especially since im coming from California. I want to get a real feel for Newark and take time to decide where I want to live.

FiatLux

Postby FiatLux » Tue May 05, 2009 4:20 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
FiatLux wrote:
jpasqu1 wrote:

Congrats Fiat!!!
Ironbound is a cool neighborhood. It's very diverse. Most of the people that live there are portugese and they've opened up a ton of amazing restaurants. Also the cost of living is really low (comparatively). But it is literally on the other side of Penn station and just a short walk to the law school. Some people will say that the walk from the law school to Penn Station is a dangerous walk, but honestly since they've put up the Prudential building and the NJPAC the street connecting those buildings to the park that sits between them and the law school makes it a pretty decent walk. But there is a free shuttle in the evening from the school to Penn Station.
There's lots of apartments and things in Ironbound and you should probably be able to find something decent with a good size and good price. Craigslist actually has a lot of apartments listed for Ironbound. I would definitely recommend trying to visit for a few days to get an idea of the type of housing you want and a specific area. I'm not 100% positive but I think Dean Walton told me she lives in Ironbound. If it's good enough for the Dean...

As far as summer reading the sections and early/late tracks have not been determined yet. I do think they will be out mid-summer. I'm not sure if there's any actual "summer" reading. But I'm sure the assignments for the first day of class will be mentioned. I think the old website used to have a link to the section you were in and then the assignments that were do. So maybe when they get it all figured out they'll update the new website with the new information.

Again..Congrats, and Welcome!

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I want to live in Ironbound because of the proximity to Penn Station and because it seems like a safe, student-friendly area. I've heard a lot of good things about the restaurants in the area and it seems like the area would be full of SHU and RU students. I can't wait to secure a lease in the area. I plan on finding a lease that starts July 1st so I have plenty of time to move-in, get acclimated, visit relatives in the area, and do any summer reading assignments. I still can't believe that I qualify for in-state tuition.

bayberrymoon

Postby bayberrymoon » Tue May 05, 2009 10:00 pm

jpasqu1 wrote:

I'm doing it for 1L too. In addition, living 3 minutes walking distance away from the law school building will make it easier to be on time for early classes :lol: I feel like it'll make the transition to law school life a little easier, both socially and academically. But once I'm used to it, I don't think I'll want to live in a dorm setting for the next couple of years.

FiatLux

Postby FiatLux » Wed May 06, 2009 2:02 am

I have to agree with the poster above, the convenience of the dorms is great but I'd imagine that I'd feel kind of cramped after the 1st year. In addition, I don't want to go through the hassle of moving again after the first year when I'm already incurring the hassle of moving from Los Angeles to Newark right now. For those reasons, I'm currently looking at my apartment options in Ironbound as that would provide convenient access to Penn Station and it's a reasonable distance away from the campus. I'm just worried that living in an apartment my 1st year might limit my opportunities to meet fellow students.

I saw a post from another Californian above, any other west coasters around here? I'm currently in the Greater Los Angeles area but I've been living in Southern California for most of my life and I'm definitely ready for a change of setting, access to a new metropolitan area, and the opportunity to meet students from around the country. This is such a relief, I've basically been preparing to go to Syracuse Law up until I was notified of my acceptance last week.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”