Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
dapoetic1

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Postby dapoetic1 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:28 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:@comingtony

I've never said anything bad about someone or someone else's school b/c I don't care about being some kind of an e-thug.

dapoetic1 wrote:A'nold what are you saying?!?!
Get a hold of yourself Man!

Seriously--Idaho--Seriously

If you want to practice in Idaho then by all means go to Idaho, but I don't think you really want that for your family.
You know there's a lot of other schools in that region that I'm sure would give you access to the booming Boise market and allow you to have some measure of a life.

:?: :?: :?:

A'nold and I go waaaay back!
We've been talking about schools for quite a while, and he's knows I'm just joking with him as is evident by the post I made on that same thread

dapoetic1 wrote:@A'nold--you mentioned family was one of the decision behind you considering Idaho. I've followed you for some time on this forum and never have I heard you speak about having family out west or even considering Idaho as a prospect. Where exactly is your family and are there any other school's you're considering in order to be closer to them?

As long as A'nold knows that I wasn't being mean I'm ok with everyone else not being in on it.

dapoetic1

Postby dapoetic1 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:38 pm

Does anyone think in the future Rutgers will try to do anything to enhance it's ranking?

I know their general consensus is that they don't pay attention to the rankings (obviously :) )
but...I'm sure they have bosses that do and people that hire/fire deans sure do. And certainly they know that many prospective students do.

Now that they have a new dean do you think he may have a different feeling about the rankings? It doesn't seem they fired the old dean because of rankings seeing as how he remained on the faculty and went back to teaching. But I don't necessarily know how the changing of a dean works. I would assume that when they fire deans they don't put them back on the faculty. So it seems as if he was just replaced--IDK!

Thoughts?

nanaNa

Postby nanaNa » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:08 pm

It would be surprising if they started to game the rankings for the sake of getting ranked higher. However, if they found they could no longer attract the quality of students that they could in the past I’d expect them to do something.

nocalls4jeff

Postby nocalls4jeff » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:13 pm

I hope the new dean tries to get Rutgers-Newark back on par with Camden
-Newark's student to faculty ratio took a beating so they could hire more professors...or take less students
-Being more selective in students LSAT scores, even if its just 2 points

Employment @ graduation is 8 points better at Newark vs. Camden and that matters more to me than rankings

dapoetic1

Postby dapoetic1 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:37 pm

nocalls4jeff wrote:I hope the new dean tries to get Rutgers-Newark back on par with Camden
-Newark's student to faculty ratio took a beating so they could hire more professors...or take less students

Employment @ graduation is 8 points better at Newark vs. Camden and that matters more to me than rankings

Well I can tell you with a little bit of certainty that this seems to already be the case. I think this year's 1L class is ~180
Rutgers typically has a fairly small class about 250 for full time and PT for entering 1L classes. But I do recall them saying that this year they received an increase in application but the class size would be small. I don't think this is specifically for ranking purposes. Their budget got hammered so I think they feel like they can better serve the students if the student body were smaller.

As far as raising their LSAT they could probably have a median of 160--but they do have a very unique type of admissions. I think they're the only school in the country that let's you get admitted by using your life experience to carry more weight than LSAT/GPA. This makes sense if you're trying to recruit an older student body. Typically non-trad students don't have overinflated GPA's nor do they have the time to take multiple LSAT's in order to try and continue to increase scores.

mberg42

Postby mberg42 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:35 pm

Just wanted to add on to some of the points.

[*] Im a 1L now and I really enjoy the school. There is a very nice community feel. Every Thursday the local bar(McGoverns), which is 10 steps from the school will be full of students. Also get to know as many of your classmates as possible. Many will have amazing backstories.

[*] Career Services was great with sponsoring events for networking, which led to some nice summer gigs

[*] I would advise people to live on campus 1L year or in the near by University Centre. This allows you to be close to the law school and build relationships with more of your fellow students. You can always move off campus next year and with the 1L work load there isnt that much time for going out. Plus Hoboken isnt all that great either imo

[*] As for how Rutgers places in NYC? I dont know enough to give you an accurate statistical representation. But based on the charts I have seen we due fairly well. From what I gather the opportunities are out there if you put in the work and network.

dapoet I think you will really enjoy Rutgers Law...I believe Rutgers will provide you a great experience full of ups and downs...

Heads up: Legal Research and Writing here is curved in classes of 15. No one told me that before I got there and I wish they would have.

dapoetic1

Postby dapoetic1 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:17 am

mberg42 wrote:Just wanted to add on to some of the points.

[*] Im a 1L now and I really enjoy the school. There is a very nice community feel. Every Thursday the local bar(McGoverns), which is 10 steps from the school will be full of students. Also get to know as many of your classmates as possible. Many will have amazing backstories.

[*] Career Services was great with sponsoring events for networking, which led to some nice summer gigs

[*] I would advise people to live on campus 1L year or in the near by University Centre. This allows you to be close to the law school and build relationships with more of your fellow students. You can always move off campus next year and with the 1L work load there isnt that much time for going out. Plus Hoboken isnt all that great either imo

[*] As for how Rutgers places in NYC? I dont know enough to give you an accurate statistical representation. But based on the charts I have seen we due fairly well. From what I gather the opportunities are out there if you put in the work and network.

Hey thanks for chiming in!!! I don't think we've had any students from rutgers come on here yet.

A big question that's been floating around is in regards to the clerkships that Rutgers students get. Are they decent clerkships that can lead to nice jobs afterwards or are they primarily the lower end of clerkships that aren't very competitive?

Also do most of the students the end up in lawfirms work for the NJ office or the NYC office?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

dapoet I think you will really enjoy Rutgers Law...I believe Rutgers will provide you a great experience full of ups and downs...

Heads up: Legal Research and Writing here is curved in classes of 15. No one told me that before I got there and I wish they would have.

jpasqu1

Postby jpasqu1 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:24 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I got of the the curve at Rutgers is that the class average needed to be between a 2.9 and a 3.1. Is that the type of curve?

mberg42

Postby mberg42 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:29 am

jpasqu1 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I got of the the curve at Rutgers is that the class average needed to be between a 2.9 and a 3.1. Is that the type of curve?

yeah that is the curve...

jpasqu1

Postby jpasqu1 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:33 am

mberg42 wrote:
jpasqu1 wrote:

yeah that is the curve...

Thanks. That seems rough for a small class.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:26 am

Waitlisted... 157/3.05

Zeph

Postby Zeph » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:13 am

Danteshek wrote:Waitlisted... 157/3.05

I know it stinks =/

dapoetic1

Postby dapoetic1 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:25 am

@mberg 42
I don't know what happened to my earlier post--got deleted somehow
But thanks for chiming in here I dont think we've had any current student here to answer ?'s

As far as the LRW curve is it good or bad that the class is curved at 15?
From what I understand the typical curve of 2.9-3.1 seems to be in favor of the students? Am I missing something?

kisstherain01

Postby kisstherain01 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:06 pm

Did any one consider Rutgers Camden?
I am waitlisted at Newark, but in at Camden

nocalls4jeff

Postby nocalls4jeff » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:49 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
nocalls4jeff wrote:I hope the new dean tries to get Rutgers-Newark back on par with Camden

Well I can tell you with a little bit of certainty that this seems to already be the case. I think this year's 1L class is ~180
Rutgers typically has a fairly small class about 250 for full time and PT for entering 1L classes. But I do recall them saying that this year they received an increase in application but the class size would be small. I don't think this is specifically for ranking purposes. Their budget got hammered so I think they feel like they can better serve the students if the student body were smaller.

As far as raising their LSAT they could probably have a median of 160--but they do have a very unique type of admissions. I think they're the only school in the country that let's you get admitted by using your life experience to carry more weight than LSAT/GPA. This makes sense if you're trying to recruit an older student body. Typically non-trad students don't have overinflated GPA's nor do they have the time to take multiple LSAT's in order to try and continue to increase scores.

Yeah that's my case....non-trad (34yo) and only 1 LSAT

I'm not familiar with the curve structure you've been talking about with the LRW classes...can anyone explain a little more on that? Is it good or bad to have that curve?

kisstherain01 wrote:Did any one consider Rutgers Camden?

I didn't want to go to Camden b/c I'm from Bergen County, NJ and wanted to stay here next to NYC. But congrats on the acceptance there!

rodbel24

Postby rodbel24 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Yea, I was waitlisted at Camden but accepted at Newark..... I felt as if they both schools had communicated with each other and decided one should accept and the other one should not because I recieved both answers days a part but thats just my opinion.

I was wondering if anyone knew some more info on the MSP program. I was accepted and think it would really help but would like to make sure that it isnt a more of a burden than a positive. Basically will the MSP program require me to study for A when I really need to be studying for B......

SillySil

Postby SillySil » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Last edited by SillySil on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

kisstherain01

Postby kisstherain01 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:12 pm

nocalls4jeff wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:

I'm not familiar with the curve structure you've been talking about with the LRW classes...can anyone explain a little more on that? Is it good or bad to have that curve?

I didn't want to go to Camden b/c I'm from Bergen County, NJ and wanted to stay here next to NYC. But congrats on the acceptance there!

Thanks, I am a Cali resident and I want to go back to Cali for jobs. I am not sure if going to Newark will be more helpful in my job hunt

jpasqu1

Postby jpasqu1 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:28 pm

kisstherain01 wrote:
nocalls4jeff wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:

Thanks, I am a Cali resident and I want to go back to Cali for jobs. I am not sure if going to Newark will be more helpful in my job hunt

I doubt it matter which one you go to if you want to end up back in California. Neither one is going to really have many alumni or other connections to the west coast. You'd probably have to do most of the legwork yourself.

mberg42

Postby mberg42 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:56 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:@mberg 42
I don't know what happened to my earlier post--got deleted somehow
But thanks for chiming in here I dont think we've had any current student here to answer ?'s

As far as the LRW curve is it good or bad that the class is curved at 15?
From what I understand the typical curve of 2.9-3.1 seems to be in favor of the students? Am I missing something?

I think there is one other guy here that is from RU-Newark. Im just mentioned the curved LRW because a lot of schools do not curve this class and many other schools offer it as a high pass/pass/fail class. It didnt bother me much but it will keep you on your toes since it turns into a zero sum game.

dapoetic1

Postby dapoetic1 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:48 pm

kisstherain01 wrote:Thanks, I am a Cali resident and I want to go back to Cali for jobs. I am not sure if going to Newark will be more helpful in my job hunt

Wow!!! I don't think I've ever heard someone say they were going to Rutgers with plans to work back in Cali.
What kind of work do you want to do in Cali? law firm, gov't, private/solo practice, non-law related?
Do you have any current contacts in Cali that you plan to use as a network base?

Is there any reason you're not going to school closer to the West Coast?

@mberg42--yeah I guess that makes sense. I do recall quite a few LRW classes being pass/fail. What's one more B, right?

billionaire boy

Postby billionaire boy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:49 pm

Has anyone gone and visited R-N?

Did you inform them you were going ahead of time? How was it?

dapoetic1

Postby dapoetic1 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:59 pm

billionaire boy wrote:Has anyone gone and visited R-N?

Did you inform them you were going ahead of time? How was it?

I called Dean Walton and told her when I was available (because it was not during Open House or a planned Admitted Students Day). She put me on her calendar. She spoke with me for almost 2 hrs and then took me to the director of fin-aid and she spoke with me for about 45 min. They were willing to honestly answer every question I had. I knew exactly what I wanted to know I asked about the statistics of the school and how they determined them and how to measure the accuracy, how the school kept it's reputation in NY with the large number of schools in the area...pretty much every question everyone asks other prospective students on here. She didn't tell me everything positive and leave out some of the holes in the statistics. I always question schools on what they feel the negatives/weaknesses of their school and their school's programs are. Any school that can't honestly answer that means they haven't given it much thought which means they're not trying hard to improve. So I like to know where schools feel they can do better, and Dean Walton was very candid. But I didn't throw the ranking out there (b/c I don't care for them) or ask them anything about the ranking. But I've heard that they have and will address this issue if you care to know.

I highly recommend you call ahead because you can't just waltz into the school as a visitor without having a reason. There's a visitors sign in so don't just pop by expecting to be seen!

rodbel24

Postby rodbel24 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:53 pm

thanks SillySIl...... That pretty much takes care of my worries...

They were willing to honestly answer every question I had.

I get that type of vibe from RU-NW from Dean Rothman to the current students i've talked to. Looks like they are very honest and thats the way they appeal to students.... it worked for me :lol:

kisstherain01

Postby kisstherain01 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:13 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
kisstherain01 wrote:Thanks, I am a Cali resident and I want to go back to Cali for jobs. I am not sure if going to Newark will be more helpful in my job hunt

Wow!!! I don't think I've ever heard someone say they were going to Rutgers with plans to work back in Cali.
What kind of work do you want to do in Cali? law firm, gov't, private/solo practice, non-law related?
Do you have any current contacts in Cali that you plan to use as a network base?

Is there any reason you're not going to school closer to the West Coast?

@mberg42--yeah I guess that makes sense. I do recall quite a few LRW classes being pass/fail. What's one more B, right?

So initially when I was applying I was open to working anywhere on the east/west coast after law school but because of recent personal obligations / emergencies I need to move back to California after graduating. I did apply to a few schools in LA but I have yet to hear their decision.

I have a few contacts in LA because I had an internship there and I will continue to work on my SoCal networking during law school --- hopefully that will give me some good leads

I think that answered everything =)

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”