Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
LegalPink

New

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Post by LegalPink » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:49 pm

has anyone gotten the schedule for the ASD this coming Friday? in my acceptance letter it says that once the schedule was finalized it would be sent but i haven't gotten anything yet. i definitely want to attend, so does anyone know what will be going on that day?

jpasqu1

New

Post by jpasqu1 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:56 pm

I responded but didn't get anything back yet.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:29 pm

LegalPink wrote:has anyone gotten the schedule for the ASD this coming Friday? in my acceptance letter it says that once the schedule was finalized it would be sent but i haven't gotten anything yet. i definitely want to attend, so does anyone know what will be going on that day?
The basic structure is this: (I can't find my paperwork, so this is what I remember) It's from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Some important people will welcome us to Rutgers-Newark. Then more talking. We get to pick one of three classes to attend. We'll have lunch with current students. Someone will talk about financial aid. The end.

If I can find my paper I'll post more.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:35 pm

I'll be there on Friday March 27th. Any idea what kind of dress is appropriate? Business casual? jeans? Jacket/tie?

The Evil Genius

New

Post by The Evil Genius » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:00 pm

Well, got my ding from Fordham. My reach of UMich said decision rendered which means I've basically been rejected. Unless I get some love from Boston College or William & Mary, I will be at Rutgers with a decent size merit scholarship with in-state tuition... And I'm cool with that. Not worth it to go to St. John's, Temple, Seton Hall, Brooklyn or Cardozo, even with the money they gave me. See you all in the fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:48 pm

The Evil Genius wrote:Not worth it to go to St. John's, Temple, Seton Hall, Brooklyn or Cardozo, even with the money they gave me..
I'm of the same opinion.

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:36 pm

king3780 wrote:
LegalPink wrote:has anyone gotten the schedule for the ASD this coming Friday? in my acceptance letter it says that once the schedule was finalized it would be sent but i haven't gotten anything yet. i definitely want to attend, so does anyone know what will be going on that day?
The basic structure is this: (I can't find my paperwork, so this is what I remember) It's from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Some important people will welcome us to Rutgers-Newark. Then more talking. We get to pick one of three classes to attend. We'll have lunch with current students. Someone will talk about financial aid. The end.

If I can find my paper I'll post more.

This is basically it. Starts at 10 am with a welcome from the Dean. The assistant dean for student services will talk about the first year program and what to expect in the classroom. Then, we choose to go to one of three faculty presentations: Intellectual Property, Criminal Law, or Corporate Law. After that is the luncheon with current students. Students will also be giving tours of the building. After lunch, around 1:30 pm, there will be a session on financial aid.

passitback

New

Post by passitback » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:36 am

How are you all dressing? I think a suit is appropriate, but that jmo.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:55 am

passitback wrote:How are you all dressing? I think a suit is appropriate, but that jmo.
I'm not wearing a suit. Just Khakis, nice shirt and tie.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

civil3d

New

Post by civil3d » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:05 am

LSATfromNC wrote:I'm not wearing a suit. Just Khakis, nice shirt and tie.
I'm skipping the tie. Depending on the weather I might wear a jacket, but definitely no tie. I think it's going to be pretty casual.
I went to an open house for admitted students at another school, and it was casual. People wore everything from jeans and a sweater or button down shirt to khakis and sport coats.

Giles Rich

New

Post by Giles Rich » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:08 am

LSATfromNC wrote:
passitback wrote:How are you all dressing? I think a suit is appropriate, but that jmo.
I'm not wearing a suit. Just Khakis, nice shirt and tie.
At the last open-house I went to in Feb. at Rutgers-N, the attire was pretty casual. Most people did not wear a tie and no one wore a suit. I had just come from work and I was one of the more dressed up people with a collared shirt and slacks.

It also looked like most of the students at Rutgers dressed really casual (jeans and t-shirt). Seton Hall was much different, where almost everyone was dressed up.

See you guys there.

passitback

New

Post by passitback » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:31 am

Fair enough.... I will not be over-dressed, that's for sure. Casual it is... See you on the 27th...

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:34 am

Question for anyone going to the open house: are any of you bringing any family members? I have a twin sister (not a prospective law student) who wants to come, and I know I am allowed to bring her, but I am having second thoughts about doing so. Do you think it would be strange?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:43 pm

bayberrymoon wrote:Question for anyone going to the open house: are any of you bringing any family members? I have a twin sister (not a prospective law student) who wants to come, and I know I am allowed to bring her, but I am having second thoughts about doing so. Do you think it would be strange?
I am bringing my wife; despite her not wanting to attend, I would like her input about where she lives for the next three years.

passitback

New

Post by passitback » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:50 pm

I was going to bring my wife, but she HAS to work. I know Dean Walton is fine with it though.

civil3d

New

Post by civil3d » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:11 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
bayberrymoon wrote:Question for anyone going to the open house: are any of you bringing any family members? I have a twin sister (not a prospective law student) who wants to come, and I know I am allowed to bring her, but I am having second thoughts about doing so. Do you think it would be strange?
I found at the other events I attended that those of us students that went alone spent more time interacting than those that brought someone else.
Personally, I can understand why someone would want to bring a spouse or parent, but I'm not so sure about a sibling. I suppose it's a matter of personal preference and comfort level.

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:33 pm

Yeah, I started having second thoughts precisely because I figured I'd inevitably spend less time interacting with everyone there. Thanks for the responses :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The Evil Genius

New

Post by The Evil Genius » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:50 pm

I say if your twin sister is identical and has a good personality, bring her. When you get there, split up and mingle. Have her go by your name. That way you cover the entire room in half the time. lol. That's what I would do.

P.S. If your ruse is discovered... Stand side by side with your sister. Then start screaming "I'm the REAL [INSERT NAME]!" having her reply "NO!!! "I'm the REAL [INSERT NAME]!" and go back and forth arguing until the confrontation becomes physical. Then both pull out concealed guns with blank bullets and simultaneously shoot one another [having fake blood splatter explode]. You'll be the life of the party.

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:44 pm

The Evil Genius wrote:
I say if your twin sister is identical and has a good personality, bring her. When you get there, split up and mingle. Have her go by your name. That way you cover the entire room in half the time. lol. That's what I would do.

P.S. If your ruse is discovered... Stand side by side with your sister. Then start screaming "I'm the REAL [INSERT NAME]!" having her reply "NO!!! "I'm the REAL [INSERT NAME]!" and go back and forth arguing until the confrontation becomes physical. Then both pull out concealed guns with blank bullets and simultaneously shoot one another [having fake blood splatter explode]. You'll be the life of the party.
This would be pretty sweet. If only we were identical...

akscoob

New

Post by akscoob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:31 pm

\dfdfdfdfdf
Last edited by akscoob on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:45 pm

akscoob wrote:Hey anyone interested we are having a great event next week at the law school and you are all invited to come out. Below is the info. If you have any questions let me know. Also I live in University Square so if anyone who is thinking about living there wants to see what the rooms look like contact me (info below).

The Human Rights Forum & the Campaign to End the Death Penalty Present,
LIVE FROM DEATH ROW!

Wednesday April 1st at 6:30 PM
Rutgers School of Law-Newark
Baker Trial Court room

Special Guests include:

Lawrence Hayes, former NYS death row prisoner
Yusef Salaam, exonerated in the Central Park jogger case
Jeffrey Deskovic, exonerated after 16 years in jail

&

2 LIVE Call-Ins from Death Row

Facebook Event Page: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=6 ... 329&ref=mf

These are America’s condemned, who bear a stigma far worse than “prisoner.” These are America’s death row residents: men and women who walk the razor’s edge between half-life and certain death.
--Mumia Abu-Jamal, Pennsylvania death row prisoner, from his book 'Live from Death Row'

Over 3,500 men and women sit on death row across this country. This national tour will bring you their voices and their struggles.

National Tour Includes Live Call Ins from:

MUMIA ABU-JAMAL
Pennsylvania death row prisoner, author of Live from Death Row, We Want Freedom and numerous other books

KEVIN COOPER
California death row prisoner who came within 3 1/2 hours of being executed before he won a stay of execution

TROY DAVIS
On death row in Georgia and came within hours of execution in 2007 before he won a stay

STANLEY HOWARD
Former death row prisoner and torture victim still imprisoned in Illinois; contributing writer to the New Abolitionist

...and more!

Co-Sponsors: Rutgers College Democrats

Free Food & Drinks will be served.

Rutgers School of Law-Newark
Date: Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Time: 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Street: 123 Washington Street
City/Town: Newark, NJ

Contact Info: Adam Axel @ 732-796-5230
That sounds like a fascinating event. Too bad I live in California and can't make it back until late May (when I start shopping for a place to live). I hope we have more events like that over the school year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The Evil Genius

New

Post by The Evil Genius » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:06 am

Well my plans have changed somewhat on the hopes of a last ditch spring/summer effort to get into a elite regional school... Just got waitlisted at William & Mary. I'm going to try like hell to get off that waitlist. Going to retake my LSAT in June. I got a 161 (which is way lower than my PT range of low 170's) cause I choked big time. Took the December 08 exam, and left 6 blank on LG for a total of 9 wrong in that 23 question section alone. I have no idea what happened. LG was my strongest section in PTs (with 0-2 wrong), but I just lost track of time and was flustered/angry at the horrible test environment for NYU Law. I figure I should be able to up my score to the 167 range this time around. No pressure for the test, because I have nothing to lose and am more than happy to attend Rutgers-Newark.

Truth is wherever I do end up for 1L, I hope to eventually transfer out to a T14 or strong regional schools in the Northeast (e.g. Fordham, BU, BC). Getting into W&M and attending for 1L would allow me some flexibility in rank/GPA to achieve this goal (I figure top 1/3 of my class would be the position I need to transfer into Fordham), whereas my margin for error at Rutgers-Newark is top 10% or bust. Hell, maybe I end up liking W&M/Virginia so much that I end up staying in the region. I think it's pretty cool they were one of the first law schools in the nation, the campus is beautiful, COL is very very low, state residency could be achieved relatively fast and they place about 25% in BigLaw. Now, I'm going to have to start work on my LOCI, look for some new LORs and start studying for the June LSAT. Hopefully, this year is the year to get off of the waitlist. But I don't want to get ahead of myself. Rutgers-Newark it is if I get no waitlist love from W&M.

civil3d

New

Post by civil3d » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:33 am

Anyone that attended Admitted Students Day on 3/27 have any thoughts or impressions?

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:56 am

civil3d wrote:Anyone that attended Admitted Students Day on 3/27 have any thoughts or impressions?
im interested in this as well

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:11 pm

Zeph wrote:
civil3d wrote:Anyone that attended Admitted Students Day on 3/27 have any thoughts or impressions?
im interested in this as well
I'll give it a shot. My impression of the school is that it's a cohesive community, and their focus is on producing good lawyers, not on rankings. According to the Dean, the school will not "compromise our integrity to move up in the rankings." So if the rankings are important to you, this may not be your school. They seemed very honest about the school's mission, the environment, and the employment prospects. They're very proud of their diverse student body.

One important message from one of the professors was that if you are planning to transfer to a school, go to that school instead. Rutgers doesn't take many transfers, at which point they hinted at another school who did in order to "game" the rankings, and they think it's a bad idea to transfer at all. The reasons were that they felt important bonds are formed during your first year, as you will keep in contact (especially) with a lot of your first year friends for life. They might even help you land a job, and you'll be hiring each other, etc.

Does that help? Any specific questions?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”