Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
losjeans

New

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Post by losjeans » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:14 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:It's OFFICIAL!!!
I owe Rutgers money. :lol:
I guess that's a good thing. As soon as all of my funds clear I can verify enrollment and be on my way to Blackboard and 1 step closer to starting classes.
Are the awards applied automatically?

EDIT: "If you are receiving financial aid, these funds will automatically show as a credit on your term bill." Never mind.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:34 pm

losjeans wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:It's OFFICIAL!!!
I owe Rutgers money. :lol:
I guess that's a good thing. As soon as all of my funds clear I can verify enrollment and be on my way to Blackboard and 1 step closer to starting classes.
Are the awards applied automatically?

EDIT: "If you are receiving financial aid, these funds will automatically show as a credit on your term bill." Never mind.
Actually none of my credits are showing yet. It just shows how much I owe for tuition and fees.

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Same here.

nanaNa

New

Post by nanaNa » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:06 pm

king3780 wrote:
sergris wrote:Any early track part-timers here?
Early track part timer right here. Woot, woot!

Another w00t from me.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:18 pm

Splitting up casebooks:

There's a new thread that talks about this. But basically people are saying they're going to take their large casebooks to a printshop and have the bindings taken off and have the book rebound in smaller sections with a spiral binding. That way you're not carrying around a huge book and you can have the book in smaller more manageable sections.
I thought that sounded like a good idea.
Although you will most likely ruin any chance to sell the book back--but it's an option. Just thought I'd share.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:51 pm

Amazon won't have all my books on time. An e-mail i received today...

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on July 27 2009 (Order# ***-******-********):

Amy E. Sloan "Basic Legal Research: Tools and Strategies"
Estimated arrival date: August 31 2009 - September 16 2009

So I ordered from Barrister Books. We'll see if they can get them to me before classes start.

the fresh prince

New

Post by the fresh prince » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:06 pm

Quick question folks, does the school include the cost of a laptop in the COA or is that something we should request to be added? Just trying to figure out my finances last minute

Gosha79

New

Post by Gosha79 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:38 pm

Quick question folks, does the school include the cost of a laptop in the COA or is that something we should request to be added? Just trying to figure out my finances last minute

Hi
You have to request for these funds to be added to your cost of attendance, there is a from that you have to fill out and mail to Rutgers Law School. Just call the school tomorrow and they will tell you where to find it on their website. That form was actually emailed to us earlier but I no longer have it. It takes about a week for them to review the application, once they do they will add $2500 to your cost of attendance. Spend your money wisely because they will only do it once.
Takecare

the fresh prince

New

Post by the fresh prince » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:16 pm

Thanks alot. I wasn't sure so I'll definitely call tomorrow

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:56 am

I got my Torts, Property and Crim. Law casebooks today. They are gigantic and don't fit in the bag I bought. I thought about having the local printshop break them up, but I kind of like them as they are. Big thick study books, like an endangered species, are becoming extinct. I'm going to try to keep them around for a little longer. I guess I'll have to find a bigger bag.

nicoolie

New

Post by nicoolie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:28 pm

phooey182 wrote:I got my Torts, Property and Crim. Law casebooks today. They are gigantic and don't fit in the bag I bought. I thought about having the local printshop break them up, but I kind of like them as they are. Big thick study books, like an endangered species, are becoming extinct. I'm going to try to keep them around for a little longer. I guess I'll have to find a bigger bag.
ha my books keep coming. got 10 in total so far. expecting 2 more before classes start. getting them all to school should be comical. how big is this locker? lol

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:36 pm

nicoolie wrote:
phooey182 wrote:I got my Torts, Property and Crim. Law casebooks today. They are gigantic and don't fit in the bag I bought. I thought about having the local printshop break them up, but I kind of like them as they are. Big thick study books, like an endangered species, are becoming extinct. I'm going to try to keep them around for a little longer. I guess I'll have to find a bigger bag.
ha my books keep coming. got 10 in total so far. expecting 2 more before classes start. getting them all to school should be comical. how big is this locker? lol
I saw the lockers on Open House day. They are not big at all. I think when I'm dragging my books to class, I'll pretend I'm Rocky Balboa from Rocky III training for the big fight (the scene when he was dragging that big log).

Gosha79

New

Post by Gosha79 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:58 pm

I can't believe you guys are spending so much money on books. Half.com has amazing prices on law books and I have been buying from them for years (not law books though) and was always happy with my purchase. I just purchased all of my books for criminal law class by buying 2 from half.com, one from B&N and one from amazon for a total of $168.83. I see that half.com also has most other books for all of our classes. You need to check out that website. Some of them will be used but just barely. Let me know your thoughts on that :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawlschoolcandid

New

Post by lawlschoolcandid » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:59 pm

Try chegg.com for any books that you don't need to keep. I paid a total of $170 for all my casebooks.

nocalls4jeff

New

Post by nocalls4jeff » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:24 am

Half.com and Amazon!!

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:50 am

Gosha79 wrote:I can't believe you guys are spending so much money on books. Half.com has amazing prices on law books and I have been buying from them for years (not law books though) and was always happy with my purchase. I just purchased all of my books for criminal law class by buying 2 from half.com, one from B&N and one from amazon for a total of $168.83. I see that half.com also has most other books for all of our classes. You need to check out that website. Some of them will be used but just barely. Let me know your thoughts on that :D
I just don't like buying used books. I always wonder whether the original owner took it into the bathroom, yuck!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go find my torts casebook. I think I left it on the toilet.

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:50 pm

I've been a half fan since undergrad! I got all but one of the books I need brand new (shrink wrapped) on half and they were cheaper than amazon.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Any late track people notice on the schedule that we don't have any classes that last until 5:50 like the original schedule?
The latest class is 3:55-4:55
That's kind of nice that's an extra hour we'll have in the day

djsoltis2013

New

Post by djsoltis2013 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:52 pm

I am early track at night.

Anyone commuting through NYC? I will be heading home that way? I am open for a rideshare arangment for the next (choke) 4 years. Hopefully less if I can somehow swing a job that lets me concentrate on school.

Gosha79

New

Post by Gosha79 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:01 pm

djsoltis2013 wrote:I am early track at night.

Anyone commuting through NYC? I will be heading home that way? I am open for a rideshare arangment for the next (choke) 4 years. Hopefully less if I can somehow swing a job that lets me concentrate on school.
Hi
Are you looking for a ride or looking to give a ride. If you are looking for a ride I might be able to help. I am an early track day student and anticipate to be driving back to Brooklyn (sunset park) in the evening everyday once the school year starts. If you are interested please let me know, I am looking for carmates to split the toll with me.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Hey my Contracts professor (Kettle) just sent me an e-mail. It's basically a 'Welcome' e-mail without any assignments or anything. COOL!

I bought a month pass on NJ Transit for $33 through the Rutgers portal. I'm gonna try commuting for a month. If I hate it, I'll drive. I drove to Rutgers at around 7:30 in the morning on a weekday last week. No traffic, good weather, I got there quickly. I bet traffic increases when school is in session, especially around the parking lots in the mornings. Also, winters can suck in Jersey, and I hate driving in bad weather. I trust my own driving capabilities, I just don't trust the other people on the road. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I might as well get used to commuting now. I expect I'll be interning and/or working in NYC eventually. Or close to it.

I got my Bluebook yesterday. It's all greek to me!

BLACKBOARD is working, you can log in and see your courses.
Also, I had problems viewing Blackboard in Safari, but it works fine with Firefox (for all you Mac users)
My contracts professor posted the reading assignments for the first two weeks, none of my other professors have posted (yet). Summer vacation is coming to a close.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:09 pm

phooey182 wrote:Hey my Contracts professor (Kettle) just sent me an e-mail. It's basically a 'Welcome' e-mail without any assignments or anything. COOL!

I bought a month pass on NJ Transit for $33 through the Rutgers portal. I'm gonna try commuting for a month. If I hate it, I'll drive. I drove to Rutgers at around 7:30 in the morning on a weekday last week. No traffic, good weather, I got there quickly. I bet traffic increases when school is in session, especially around the parking lots in the mornings. Also, winters can suck in Jersey, and I hate driving in bad weather. I trust my own driving capabilities, I just don't trust the other people on the road. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I might as well get used to commuting now. I expect I'll be interning and/or working in NYC eventually. Or close to it.

I got my Bluebook yesterday. It's all greek to me!

BLACKBOARD is working, you can log in and see your courses.
Also, I had problems viewing Blackboard in Safari, but it works fine with Firefox (for all you Mac users)
My contracts professor posted the reading assignments for the first two weeks, none of my other professors have posted (yet). Summer vacation is coming to a close.
Yeah I'm definitely getting a train pass. $33/mnth is nothing. Without one I'd be paying about $45 to take the PATH. Plus I like taking the train around Jersey city and over to NYC so an unlimited monthly pass would be nice.

I've logged on to blackboard but only have two classes loaded and they're Property and LRW. Neither has any assignments loaded. I have Soled for LRW and Sclar for Property.

nocalls4jeff

New

Post by nocalls4jeff » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:43 am

dapoetic1 wrote:Yeah I'm definitely getting a train pass. $33/mnth is nothing. Without one I'd be paying about $45 to take the PATH. Plus I like taking the train around Jersey city and over to NYC so an unlimited monthly pass would be nice.

I've logged on to blackboard but only have two classes loaded and they're Property and LRW. Neither has any assignments loaded. I have Soled for LRW and Sclar for Property.
[/quote]

Do you know about the shuttle that runs from the Newark Train Station to Rutgers? Is there any info on the Rutgers website about the shuttle or a schedule of when it runs? I haven't found it. Thanks

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:32 pm

nocalls4jeff wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:Yeah I'm definitely getting a train pass. $33/mnth is nothing. Without one I'd be paying about $45 to take the PATH. Plus I like taking the train around Jersey city and over to NYC so an unlimited monthly pass would be nice.

Do you know about the shuttle that runs from the Newark Train Station to Rutgers? Is there any info on the Rutgers website about the shuttle or a schedule of when it runs? I haven't found it. Thanks[/quote]

ok just to be clear, there are TWO Newark stations, Broad Street and 'Newark Penn Station'.
This link might help a bit http://nwkpolice.rutgers.edu/RUPD_ShuttleService.html

FiatLux

New

Post by FiatLux » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:49 pm

I just moved into Journal Square. Has anybody else moved into this area yet and if so, how do you like it? This is definitely more urban than what I'm used to but I still like the convenience of it. I'm only about a 5 minute walk to the PATH station.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”