Tulane 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
dempsey
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:20 pm

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby dempsey » Thu May 14, 2009 12:52 pm

leaning towards a mac myself, just wondering if it will be in any way disadvantageous.

User avatar
Young NOLA Baybee
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:53 am

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby Young NOLA Baybee » Thu May 14, 2009 7:33 pm

nianlong wrote:Anybody else planning to use a Mac despite all the encouragement from the school to use a PC? I'll probably just get Microsoft Office for Mac to make the tedious Legal Research and Writing stuff less of a pain. I use Pages from the iWork collection currently.


I've never had a laptop but I've had plenty of frustrating PC desktops, so I'll probably take this opportunity to pick up a Mac even with the compatibility issues.

CassieRae
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby CassieRae » Fri May 15, 2009 4:56 pm

Young NOLA Baybee wrote:
nianlong wrote:Anybody else planning to use a Mac despite all the encouragement from the school to use a PC? I'll probably just get Microsoft Office for Mac to make the tedious Legal Research and Writing stuff less of a pain. I use Pages from the iWork collection currently.


I've never had a laptop but I've had plenty of frustrating PC desktops, so I'll probably take this opportunity to pick up a Mac even with the compatibility issues.


GET A MAC! im one of those PC for lifers but switched at my next opportunity. I just got a mac book pro last september when my dell decided to take a shit on my desk mid-thesis. I havent had a single issue since which is quite the change from pc world. I started to get worried about my mac with all the discouragement but during the ASD, i saw nearly half the kids with macs during the class we got to visit.

during my mini tour before the asd started, my guide discussed what the issue is. she said that there shouldnt be a problem as far as compatibility, etc. the issue is that their tech department is not staffed with apple know it alls. they discourage it b/c should something go wrong, they can not promise repair. however, upon my last visit to my local apple store, i was informed that a brand spanking new apple (toy) store just opened at the local mall in NOLA. Lakeside Mall, a 15-20 min drive :lol:

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri May 15, 2009 7:14 pm

nianlong wrote:Anybody else planning to use a Mac despite all the encouragement from the school to use a PC? I'll probably just get Microsoft Office for Mac to make the tedious Legal Research and Writing stuff less of a pain. I use Pages from the iWork collection currently.



Despite my anti-mac fanboyism I bought a mac book today....you don't have to worry about the school being anti mac though; if you need windows for anything you could always do boot camp.

lsb
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:46 pm

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby lsb » Fri May 15, 2009 8:09 pm

Just curious, what can you do with a mac that you can't with a PC? I mean unless your uploading pictures and video, who cares?

CassieRae
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby CassieRae » Fri May 15, 2009 10:03 pm

lsb wrote:Just curious, what can you do with a mac that you can't with a PC? I mean unless your uploading pictures and video, who cares?


hmm id say it isnt so much what you cant do that a pc cant but more how much more efficient it is. everything is so muh easier to find and utilize. plus theres always little perks i discover all the time. i just like all the little features that come standard like webcam, the versatile touch pad, ical/mail synching, widgets, spaces, etc. hmm now that i think about, my mac sure does a lot.

CassieRae
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby CassieRae » Fri May 15, 2009 10:04 pm

hombredulce wrote:
nianlong wrote:Anybody else planning to use a Mac despite all the encouragement from the school to use a PC? I'll probably just get Microsoft Office for Mac to make the tedious Legal Research and Writing stuff less of a pain. I use Pages from the iWork collection currently.



Despite my anti-mac fanboyism I bought a mac book today....you don't have to worry about the school being anti mac though; if you need windows for anything you could always do boot camp.


haha i had the same issue. poor apple guy had a lot of convincing to do!

User avatar
Young NOLA Baybee
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:53 am

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby Young NOLA Baybee » Sat May 16, 2009 2:38 am

hombredulce wrote:
nianlong wrote:Anybody else planning to use a Mac despite all the encouragement from the school to use a PC? I'll probably just get Microsoft Office for Mac to make the tedious Legal Research and Writing stuff less of a pain. I use Pages from the iWork collection currently.



Despite my anti-mac fanboyism I bought a mac book today....you don't have to worry about the school being anti mac though; if you need windows for anything you could always do boot camp.


What size screen are you going with? On the one hand, one of those Pros would be nice since it would be my main computer for home use, too. On the other hand, I don't really want to tempt myself by having a computer that allows me to play video games during Torts. 8)

What size did most people in your ASD class use?

CassieRae
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby CassieRae » Sat May 16, 2009 11:22 am

Young NOLA Baybee wrote:
hombredulce wrote:
nianlong wrote:Anybody else planning to use a Mac despite all the encouragement from the school to use a PC? I'll probably just get Microsoft Office for Mac to make the tedious Legal Research and Writing stuff less of a pain. I use Pages from the iWork collection currently.



Despite my anti-mac fanboyism I bought a mac book today....you don't have to worry about the school being anti mac though; if you need windows for anything you could always do boot camp.


What size screen are you going with? On the one hand, one of those Pros would be nice since it would be my main computer for home use, too. On the other hand, I don't really want to tempt myself by having a computer that allows me to play video games during Torts. 8)

What size did most people in your ASD class use?


i didnt know the macbooks had different sizes besides the pros.

most in the class just had a macbook

and i only bought a Pro (15") b/c my computer literally died mid-thesis last fall. and so since i was a) pissed as hell (SEVERE understatement) and b) needing a computer before expected, i went with a computer that would have a much higher chance of lasting 4 years rather than 2 or 3. Once I was sold on a mac, I was told by several retailers that they would almost guarantee me that it would last through law school (senior yr and law school being 4 years). So there's my reasoning, the screen had nothing to do with it haha.

User avatar
Young NOLA Baybee
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:53 am

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby Young NOLA Baybee » Sat May 16, 2009 3:09 pm

CassieRae wrote:
Young NOLA Baybee wrote:
hombredulce wrote:
nianlong wrote:Anybody else planning to use a Mac despite all the encouragement from the school to use a PC? I'll probably just get Microsoft Office for Mac to make the tedious Legal Research and Writing stuff less of a pain. I use Pages from the iWork collection currently.



Despite my anti-mac fanboyism I bought a mac book today....you don't have to worry about the school being anti mac though; if you need windows for anything you could always do boot camp.


What size screen are you going with? On the one hand, one of those Pros would be nice since it would be my main computer for home use, too. On the other hand, I don't really want to tempt myself by having a computer that allows me to play video games during Torts. 8)

What size did most people in your ASD class use?



i didnt know the macbooks had different sizes besides the pros.

most in the class just had a macbook

and i only bought a Pro (15") b/c my computer literally died mid-thesis last fall. and so since i was a) pissed as hell (SEVERE understatement) and b) needing a computer before expected, i went with a computer that would have a much higher chance of lasting 4 years rather than 2 or 3. Once I was sold on a mac, I was told by several retailers that they would almost guarantee me that it would last through law school (senior yr and law school being 4 years). So there's my reasoning, the screen had nothing to do with it haha.


Yeah, I suppose Pro would have a better chance of surviving 4 years. And it can't be THAT much more of a pain to carry around.

CassieRae
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby CassieRae » Sun May 17, 2009 10:47 am

Young NOLA Baybee wrote:Yeah, I suppose Pro would have a better chance of surviving 4 years. And it can't be THAT much more of a pain to carry around.


lol, no its really not. and i dont have the most recent model. they revamped the whole line just 2 months after i got mine... the new ones are even lighter.

User avatar
Young NOLA Baybee
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:53 am

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby Young NOLA Baybee » Sun May 17, 2009 2:14 pm

My Tulane experience is getting off to a good start: I couldn't afford the deposit out of my own pocket so I went and gambled at the casino all day. Now I can afford the deposit! Yeah! 8)

CassieRae
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby CassieRae » Sun May 17, 2009 2:22 pm

Young NOLA Baybee wrote:My Tulane experience is getting off to a good start: I couldn't afford the deposit out of my own pocket so I went and gambled at the casino all day. Now I can afford the deposit! Yeah! 8)


positively ridic... wanna help with my tuition?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun May 17, 2009 2:59 pm

CassieRae wrote:
Young NOLA Baybee wrote:My Tulane experience is getting off to a good start: I couldn't afford the deposit out of my own pocket so I went and gambled at the casino all day. Now I can afford the deposit! Yeah! 8)


positively ridic... wanna help with my tuition?



lol +1

and o answer your previous question Nola, I went with the 13 inch 2.0ghz macbook...I bought a 500 gig hardrive and I had 4 gigs of ram laying around so I also upgraded it myself.

User avatar
Young NOLA Baybee
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:53 am

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby Young NOLA Baybee » Sun May 17, 2009 4:56 pm

CassieRae wrote:
Young NOLA Baybee wrote:My Tulane experience is getting off to a good start: I couldn't afford the deposit out of my own pocket so I went and gambled at the casino all day. Now I can afford the deposit! Yeah! 8)


positively ridic... wanna help with my tuition?


Like I said, guys, fortune favors the bold.

Remember that when I completely sabotage our moot team with something outlandish.

User avatar
Young NOLA Baybee
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:53 am

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby Young NOLA Baybee » Sun May 17, 2009 4:58 pm

hombredulce wrote:
CassieRae wrote:
Young NOLA Baybee wrote:My Tulane experience is getting off to a good start: I couldn't afford the deposit out of my own pocket so I went and gambled at the casino all day. Now I can afford the deposit! Yeah! 8)


positively ridic... wanna help with my tuition?



lol +1

and o answer your previous question Nola, I went with the 13 inch 2.0ghz macbook...I bought a 500 gig hardrive and I had 4 gigs of ram laying around so I also upgraded it myself.


I went and looked at the 15" MBPro today, just because it'll be my only computer and I'd like to watch movies and whatnot on it, too. Also I need a laptop that can run Sims 3 when it comes out, as I plan to make Sim versions of all our professors and lock them in a house.

CassieRae
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby CassieRae » Sun May 17, 2009 5:55 pm

Young NOLA Baybee wrote:
hombredulce wrote:
CassieRae wrote:
Young NOLA Baybee wrote:My Tulane experience is getting off to a good start: I couldn't afford the deposit out of my own pocket so I went and gambled at the casino all day. Now I can afford the deposit! Yeah! 8)


positively ridic... wanna help with my tuition?



lol +1

and o answer your previous question Nola, I went with the 13 inch 2.0ghz macbook...I bought a 500 gig hardrive and I had 4 gigs of ram laying around so I also upgraded it myself.


I went and looked at the 15" MBPro today, just because it'll be my only computer and I'd like to watch movies and whatnot on it, too. Also I need a laptop that can run Sims 3 when it comes out, as I plan to make Sim versions of all our professors and lock them in a house.


i wonder if you got caught, say, playing this professor version in class, if you'd reconsider bold activity?

And if you're wondering about the MBP 15", well, its awesome. like i said, not a single complaint :)

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun May 17, 2009 6:20 pm

I think the MBP is a tough sell at that price point (starting at 1,999). It might be worth it if you have a legit reason to use the discrete graphics like cs3, photoshop, large sound and video editing projects, but even for those it is not absolutely necessary.

I really don't see any reason the sims wouldnt run just fine on a computer with a 2.0ghz c2d and ddr3 memory.

User avatar
Young NOLA Baybee
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:53 am

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby Young NOLA Baybee » Sun May 17, 2009 6:21 pm

hombredulce wrote:I think the MBP is a tough sell at that price point (starting at 1,999). It might be worth it if you have a legit reason to use the discrete graphics like cs3, photoshop, large sound and video editing projects, but even for those it is not absolutely necessary.

I really don't see any reason the sims wouldnt run just fine on a computer with a 2.0ghz c2d and ddr3 memory.


tulane is paying for it.

sort of.

any excuse to be irresponsible, really.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm

Young NOLA Baybee wrote:
hombredulce wrote:I think the MBP is a tough sell at that price point (starting at 1,999). It might be worth it if you have a legit reason to use the discrete graphics like cs3, photoshop, large sound and video editing projects, but even for those it is not absolutely necessary.

I really don't see any reason the sims wouldnt run just fine on a computer with a 2.0ghz c2d and ddr3 memory.


tulane is paying for it.

sort of.

any excuse to be irresponsible, really.



Yeah I figured that was the rationale most people were using lol. I unfortunately had to plunk down 1,400 of my own money to buy my computer :( In the end I decided it was worth it though. Apple's warranty and customer service is great, boot camp is simple, and the build quality, durability, and resale value of their systems is very high.

CassieRae
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby CassieRae » Sun May 17, 2009 6:37 pm

hombredulce wrote:
Young NOLA Baybee wrote:
hombredulce wrote:I think the MBP is a tough sell at that price point (starting at 1,999). It might be worth it if you have a legit reason to use the discrete graphics like cs3, photoshop, large sound and video editing projects, but even for those it is not absolutely necessary.

I really don't see any reason the sims wouldnt run just fine on a computer with a 2.0ghz c2d and ddr3 memory.


tulane is paying for it.

sort of.

any excuse to be irresponsible, really.



Yeah I figured that was the rationale most people were using lol. I unfortunately had to plunk down 1,400 of my own money to buy my computer :( In the end I decided it was worth it though. Apple's warranty and customer service is great, boot camp is simple, and the build quality, durability, and resale value of their systems is very high.


hombre, what about the student discount? for example, i got, geeze i dont remember, but a couple hundred at least, off of my comp. im pretty sure you only need a student email address.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun May 17, 2009 6:44 pm

MBP starts at 1,899 with the student discount...still a tough sell imo. Normal people just dont have many practical reasons for the upgrade to pro...even someone like me who considers himself a somewhat advanced user couldn't find a good reason for it. I did almost convince myself to grab the 2.4ghz mb just because of the illuminated keyboard, but I just couldn't pull the trigger.

User avatar
Young NOLA Baybee
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:53 am

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby Young NOLA Baybee » Sun May 17, 2009 7:02 pm

hombredulce wrote:MBP starts at 1,899 with the student discount...still a tough sell imo. Normal people just dont have many practical reasons for the upgrade to pro...even someone like me who considers himself a somewhat advanced user couldn't find a good reason for it. I did almost convince myself to grab the 2.4ghz mb just because of the illuminated keyboard, but I just couldn't pull the trigger.


giant hands need a bigger keyboard

also I'm used to a 22" widescreen so dropping to 13" is really harsh
Last edited by Young NOLA Baybee on Sun May 17, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Young NOLA Baybee
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:53 am

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby Young NOLA Baybee » Sun May 17, 2009 7:03 pm

CassieRae wrote: im pretty sure you only need a student email address.


Still haven't gotten mine. But I haven't got my deposit in yet, so maybe that's why.

User avatar
williambrianlondon
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:47 am

Re: Tulane 2012

Postby williambrianlondon » Sun May 17, 2009 7:26 pm

hey, guys, looking forward to having you all next year.

if you have any questions about stuff, holler at me




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest