Hastings Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
beckysoc24

Re: Hastings Class of 2012

Postby beckysoc24 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:56 pm

What is the LA Alumni event I keep hearing about? Is it something worth driving up from San Diego for?

anastasia

Postby anastasia » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:00 pm

jawsome wrote:
anastasia wrote:I am at a loss about where to live around there with the price tags? Any ideas?

No matter what, you're going to be paying quite a bit to live in SF/Bay Area. There are a few areas that are a little cheaper than downtown, but that requires a little bit of a commute and it's really not that much cheaper unless you end up sharing something.

The Mission is a really cool area though. I plan on living there for my 2L.

Thanks!

LACatholic

Postby LACatholic » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:27 pm

Hastings alum have organized happy hours all around cali (and one in DC) for admitted students. Basically like a meet n greet/mixer kind of a thing. I know they are having them in other cities in cali so you should probably call the admissions office or the alumni relations people and ask them ... I just randomly found out about the DC event while googling for a DC alumni chapter.

beckysoc24 wrote:What is the LA Alumni event I keep hearing about? Is it something worth driving up from San Diego for?

ianchen

Postby ianchen » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:37 pm

I'm planning on going to the one in SF next week, anyone else?

vb007

Postby vb007 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:40 pm

beckysoc24 wrote:What is the LA Alumni event I keep hearing about? Is it something worth driving up from San Diego for?

In your honor, we're hosting a reception in Los Angeles where you can
> connect with successful graduates and your new classmates. Come enjoy
> lively conversation and wonderful food and drinks.
> Our alumni are happy to share their insights about the law school and
> the various career paths they've taken with their Hastings education.
> Greg Canada, Director of Admissions, will also be on hand to answer
> any questions you may have.
> Welcome to Hastings and we look forward to meeting you!
> With warm regards,
> Shino
> Shino Nomiya
> Director of Alumni Relations

I think it is being held at the office of a law firm in LA.

vb007

Postby vb007 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:48 pm

LACatholic wrote:I don't think I'm going to the LA Alumni event since I live in DC and I'm already going to the DC Alumni event (actually I think DC is the only place outside of cali that is having such an event for hastings admits).

I'm def going to the 03/21 and probably the day before to sit in on the Food and Drug Law class or the immigration class on friday morning in case anyone wants to drive up on thursday.

vb007 wrote:
LACatholic wrote:I called the admissions office last week and they told me that they basically laughed at me and told me they do not provide that for admitted students. The admissions person actually told me that no UC Schools do and was surprised when I told him that Cal and UCD both provide travel stipends.

I'm going to be going to the March 21 admitted students event and am driving up from LA on thursday probably (i'm trying to attend a class on Friday morning).

google wrote:Anyone know if Hastings is providing travel reimbursement for their Admitted Students Day?

Are you going to the event they're holding in LA on March 19? I probably will also be going to the March 21 event. Any interest in carpooling?

I could probably swing leaving thursday night around 9. Is that too late?

beckysoc24

Postby beckysoc24 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:55 pm

vb007 wrote:

In your honor, we're hosting a reception in Los Angeles where you can
> connect with successful graduates and your new classmates. Come enjoy
> lively conversation and wonderful food and drinks.
> Our alumni are happy to share their insights about the law school and
> the various career paths they've taken with their Hastings education.
> Greg Canada, Director of Admissions, will also be on hand to answer
> any questions you may have.
> Welcome to Hastings and we look forward to meeting you!
> With warm regards,
> Shino
> Shino Nomiya
> Director of Alumni Relations

I think it is being held at the office of a law firm in LA.

Thanks! Just found one in SD on April 2...the night I was planning on flying out for ASD on April 4. hmmmm.

anastasia

Postby anastasia » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:53 pm

anyone going the 4th of april?
Last edited by anastasia on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATrocks

Postby LSATrocks » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:41 pm

does anybody have any pictures of the actual rooms in mccallister tower I can't seem to find anything except outside shots. thanks

readereader

Postby readereader » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:55 pm

Anyone going to the April 4th Admitted Students Day?

readereader

Postby readereader » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:58 pm

Also, for those looking for housing stuff, (in case you didn't see this) I noticed this in the housing section of the admitted students section of the Hastings Website: --LinkRemoved--

It looks like a place for people to find roommates or people to sublet or take their leases, etc., so that might be a good place to look.

anastasia

Postby anastasia » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:08 pm

readereader wrote:Anyone going to the April 4th Admitted Students Day?

Im going to go that day.

kimins

Postby kimins » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:13 am

ianchen wrote:I'm planning on going to the one in SF next week, anyone else?

how did you hear about it?...i was admitted and didnt know about it nor other admit days...weird..can you give PM me or write some info. on it please?

thissucks

Postby thissucks » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:01 pm

Just deposited at McAllister. I'm still not sure whether or not I'll go but I just wanted to take the stress off the housing situation there. The woman on the phone said that there were still roughly 50 spots open (about half) but that was last week. If I do decide to go there I'd like to find something other than the tower but thought it might be a good fall back.

anastasia

Postby anastasia » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:46 pm

thissucks wrote:Just deposited at McAllister. I'm still not sure whether or not I'll go but I just wanted to take the stress off the housing situation there. The woman on the phone said that there were still roughly 50 spots open (about half) but that was last week. If I do decide to go there I'd like to find something other than the tower but thought it might be a good fall back.

Have you seen the inside?

vb007

Postby vb007 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:48 pm

thissucks wrote:Just deposited at McAllister. I'm still not sure whether or not I'll go but I just wanted to take the stress off the housing situation there. The woman on the phone said that there were still roughly 50 spots open (about half) but that was last week. If I do decide to go there I'd like to find something other than the tower but thought it might be a good fall back.

the way i understood it when i talked to the property manager was that they find out how many of the current tenants are leaving first and then fill the vacant spots. she said that they usually have the responses from the current tenants around march or april and then let the applicants know in like may or june. i applied back in early to mid january and am apparently #14 on the list, so things are looking pretty good for me if there are 50 spots open. not sure where you'd be on the list if you just applied. should probably ask her to get a better feeling for whether you'll get a spot in the tower.

thissucks

Postby thissucks » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:56 pm

I haven't seen the inside of the rooms- I visited on a day in which they weren't running tours but I did see inside the tower and posted a few pictures from that little adventure. I have however seen pictures from the inside of an efficiency room- I think I found them on a hastings facebook group...but I can't fully remember.

And I spoke to the housing lady last week and today. She said that they were expecting about 100 spots to be open (give or take a few) and that currently they had about 50 people waiting. She said if I sent in my deposit today that I'd get a spot however she couldn't gurantee whether it would be an efficiency, studio or one bedroom. A majority of the rooms are studios and efficiencys though so she said my chances at one of the two were good.

I don't really want to live in the tower so if I find something better I will take it, but being that I'm from out of state and know one person in SF, I'd like to have a backup plan.

anastasia

Postby anastasia » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:26 am

thissucks wrote:I haven't seen the inside of the rooms- I visited on a day in which they weren't running tours but I did see inside the tower and posted a few pictures from that little adventure. I have however seen pictures from the inside of an efficiency room- I think I found them on a hastings facebook group...but I can't fully remember.

And I spoke to the housing lady last week and today. She said that they were expecting about 100 spots to be open (give or take a few) and that currently they had about 50 people waiting. She said if I sent in my deposit today that I'd get a spot however she couldn't gurantee whether it would be an efficiency, studio or one bedroom. A majority of the rooms are studios and efficiencys though so she said my chances at one of the two were good.

I don't really want to live in the tower so if I find something better I will take it, but being that I'm from out of state and know one person in SF, I'd like to have a backup plan.

Im planning to give my deposit in the next few days as well. As long as I can just walk across to the school I'd be happy. I spent years commuting to campus and this will be a welcome change.

beckysoc24

Postby beckysoc24 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Just bought my plane ticket and reserved my car for ASD on 4/4. I hate spending money. I guess I should get used to it.

jawsome

Postby jawsome » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:49 pm

That's good to know. I turned in my deposit way back in the middle of December and still haven't heard anything.

ettalynn

Postby ettalynn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:19 pm

Has anyone gotten notification of grant awards yet? I haven't received anything and I'm getting worried...

beckysoc24

Postby beckysoc24 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:22 pm

ettalynn wrote:Has anyone gotten notification of grant awards yet? I haven't received anything and I'm getting worried...

I haven't either. I could be confusing my schools, but I think Hastings said it would take two weeks after submitting the Need Access, FAFSA, and their form. It's been longer than two weeks, but I'm trying not to freak out yet.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:32 pm

Nothing on grants yet here.

thissucks

Postby thissucks » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:36 pm

No word on fin aid yet but I've only heard from 1 out of 8 schools so far so I'm not terribly concerned, just annoyed.

LACatholic

Postby LACatholic » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:38 am

yeah I haven't heard anything either.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”