NOTRE DAME CLASS OF 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
longhornem

New

Re: NOTRE DAME CLASS OF 2012

Post by longhornem » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:13 pm

Eponinee wrote:
edgarderby wrote:
twn wrote:Current students... anyone know how strictly the following rule from the Fischer Handbook is enforced?? Curious b/c I will be in a long distance relationship and while the SO is not planning on visiting that frequently, it'd be nice to not have to worry about the 10 nights total rule.

Quote:
GUESTS
Overnight guests are permitted but must comply with the following rules. Overnight guests may stay in a resident’s apartment a maximum of four consecutive nights. Overnight guests may stay a total of ten nights during the academic year. Overnight guests must register with the FOG rector by completing a Guest Form. Guest Forms can be picked up in the Community Center office and returned to the office when filled out. Residents are responsible for the conduct of their guests. Consult the Parking section for information about parking for guest vehicles.
My girlfriend stayed at my apartment 2-3 days a week the entire year.

Literally, there have been 50+ people parties throughout the night, and I've not heard of a single person getting in trouble ever. I have never heard of any rules being enforced ever, and for some (the don't leave your trash outside your door rule...ugh) I really wish they would.
Do you think I would be able to get away with switching out the little twin bed with a full or queen bed?
I wanted to live off campus mainly because I cannot deal with sleeping in a twin. I have a significant other also, who will be visiting me.
You would probably be able to get away with it (I saw someone switching out ALL their furniture during move-in). The room would be pretty cramped, though - you might not be able to fit all the other pieces of furniture in there if you did that (but then if you're storing the twin bed anyway, it wouldn't be too much more trouble to store the desk or dresser, too).

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:19 pm

twn wrote:
malagueno wrote:
twn wrote:Current students... anyone know how strictly the following rule from the Fischer Handbook is enforced?? Curious b/c I will be in a long distance relationship and while the SO is not planning on visiting that frequently, it'd be nice to not have to worry about the 10 nights total rule.

Quote:
GUESTS
Overnight guests are permitted but must comply with the following rules. Overnight guests may stay in a resident’s apartment a maximum of four consecutive nights. Overnight guests may stay a total of ten nights during the academic year. Overnight guests must register with the FOG rector by completing a Guest Form. Guest Forms can be picked up in the Community Center office and returned to the office when filled out. Residents are responsible for the conduct of their guests. Consult the Parking section for information about parking for guest vehicles.
Couldn't you just live off campus and not worry about it?
I could, but I like how I could walk to the gym from Fischer. That, and it's pretty much a stone's throw away from the library.
the parking lot is a lot closer to workout and law school...we drive even from fischer when its not nice out

twn

New

Post by twn » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:54 pm

edgarderby wrote:
twn wrote:
I could, but I like how I could walk to the gym from Fischer. That, and it's pretty much a stone's throw away from the library.
the parking lot is a lot closer to workout and law school...we drive even from fischer when its not nice out
I did undergrad at ND and didn't think the distance from Fischer was that bad. But I did enjoy living off campus at Castle Point--so I'll probably look off-campus this time around as well.

longhornem

New

Post by longhornem » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:28 pm

twn wrote:
edgarderby wrote:
twn wrote:
I did undergrad at ND and didn't think the distance from Fischer was that bad. But I did enjoy living off campus at Castle Point--so I'll probably look off-campus this time around as well.
It's not that bad when it's nice out, but when it's single digits with a foot of snow on the ground...that's a different story.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:08 pm

If I attend ND in the fall, I intend to live at Fischer, but I'm still waiting on WL's for other schools. Should I sign up for housing now anyways or is it better to wait?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:25 pm

gogators wrote:If I attend ND in the fall, I intend to live at Fischer, but I'm still waiting on WL's for other schools. Should I sign up for housing now anyways or is it better to wait?
Might as well signup. I don't think you pay until you get there anyway, right? I know I didn't pay a deposit at all, they just billed it to my student account to be paid after the first month by my loans.

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:04 pm

It looks like I'll be renting a condo at Oak Hill. Anybody (Edgar or Longhorn) have any experience with these condos or know anything about them? They seem pretty nice...

Ray D. O'Head

New

Post by Ray D. O'Head » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:25 pm

I just signed up for the waitlist at Williamsburg on the Lake. Seems like a real nice place, and is reasonably priced. Plus had a sweet deal for ND Law students. 20 bucks off a month, plus no deposit required and $100 off 1st months rent. Seemed like a pretty decent area too, got to the law school today from Williamsburg in less than 10 minutes. Had pretty big rooms, walk in closet, utilities included, huge balconies, very nice overall.

jaudette

New

Post by jaudette » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:18 pm

Does anyone know how much the student season tickets cost for football? And am I able to buy them for my SO or is just 1 package per student?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

malagueno

New

Post by malagueno » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:17 am

jaudette wrote:Does anyone know how much the student season tickets cost for football? And am I able to buy them for my SO or is just 1 package per student?
Season tickets are $238. However, I believe that you are only able to purchase an extra booklet for a spouse or dependent. I'm pretty sure they require your to prove you are married as well.

longhornem

New

Post by longhornem » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:37 am

ubermensch wrote:It looks like I'll be renting a condo at Oak Hill. Anybody (Edgar or Longhorn) have any experience with these condos or know anything about them? They seem pretty nice...
I drive by them every day and they look pretty nice, but other than that I don't really know much about them. Very close to school (and the Backer), though.

carpet

New

Post by carpet » Sat May 02, 2009 11:24 am

this is prob a dumb question...

How do I access my Email??

I have my netID and password set-up...

I went to : https://webmail.nd.edu/horde/imp/login.php

but my "netID" doesnt work..

Is this something we get access to once we arrive?

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Sat May 02, 2009 11:51 am

Well assuming your stuff is set up, you can go to https://inside1.cc.nd.edu/cp/home/displaylogin and just navigate to your mail.

Or you can go straight to gmail.nd.edu

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dudand09

New

Post by dudand09 » Sat May 02, 2009 12:04 pm

ubermensch wrote:It looks like I'll be renting a condo at Oak Hill. Anybody (Edgar or Longhorn) have any experience with these condos or know anything about them? They seem pretty nice...
The Oak Hill condos used to be considered the best off campus housing option for students. They have since been surpassed by places like Dublin Village and Irish Crossings. Most, if not all of the condos, have 2 floors and a basement which some students turn into a third bedroom. From the few times I've been there I can tell you that its very nice but not as up to date or spacious as some of the newer developments. It is generally considered to be quiet, but undergraduates do throw parties there sometimes. However, these parties are generally quieter than those that occur at many of the other off campus housing options. Overall, I would say the condos there are very nice, close to campus, and anyone I know that lived there has loved them.

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Sat May 02, 2009 12:10 pm

Thanks dudand :)

carpet

New

Post by carpet » Sat May 02, 2009 1:17 pm

ubermensch wrote:Well assuming your stuff is set up, you can go to https://inside1.cc.nd.edu/cp/home/displaylogin and just navigate to your mail.

That worked! Thank you! That is so cool that we gchat and use gmail. It's like I never switched

malagueno

New

Post by malagueno » Sat May 02, 2009 4:44 pm

carpet wrote:
ubermensch wrote:Well assuming your stuff is set up, you can go to https://inside1.cc.nd.edu/cp/home/displaylogin and just navigate to your mail.

That worked! Thank you! That is so cool that we gchat and use gmail. It's like I never switched
I agree! Another plus for ND!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Sat May 02, 2009 9:42 pm

Does anyone want outlines for 1L classes? I still have them all saved, with the daily notes for all the classes. Remind me next year and I'll help all the TLS'ers out.

Esquires09

New

Post by Esquires09 » Sat May 02, 2009 11:06 pm

edgarderby wrote:Does anyone want outlines for 1L classes? I still have them all saved, with the daily notes for all the classes. Remind me next year and I'll help all the TLS'ers out.

Damn thoughtful. And I thought I was going to have to buy someone a drink.

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Sat May 02, 2009 11:34 pm

Esquires09 wrote:
edgarderby wrote:Does anyone want outlines for 1L classes? I still have them all saved, with the daily notes for all the classes. Remind me next year and I'll help all the TLS'ers out.

Bring Sam Adams seasonal samplers to the Law School tailgates.

Esquires09

New

Post by Esquires09 » Sun May 03, 2009 12:06 am

edgarderby wrote:
Esquires09 wrote:

Bring Sam Adams seasonal samplers to the Law School tailgates.

Easy enough.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sd123

New

Post by sd123 » Mon May 04, 2009 10:59 am

random question.. but are there any current ND students or anyone else out there who can shed some light on how well a ND Law degree translates in other regions of the country? I'm 80/20 right now in favor of Notre Dame over Georgetown's part time program, but I would like to end up in Texas after graduation and a lot of people have told me Notre Dame has trouble placing people anywhere in the country, and a T14 graduate can pretty much go anywhere. I've heard that outside of the T14, a degree is "regional." Thoughts? I'm not wedded to big law, but obviously would like to have as many options upon graduation as possible. I went to the Notre Dame ASD on 4/3 and really loved it.

Thanks in advance.

malagueno

New

Post by malagueno » Mon May 04, 2009 11:23 am

sd123 wrote:random question.. but are there any current ND students or anyone else out there who can shed some light on how well a ND Law degree translates in other regions of the country? I'm 80/20 right now in favor of Notre Dame over Georgetown's part time program, but I would like to end up in Texas after graduation and a lot of people have told me Notre Dame has trouble placing people anywhere in the country, and a T14 graduate can pretty much go anywhere. I've heard that outside of the T14, a degree is "regional." Thoughts? I'm not wedded to big law, but obviously would like to have as many options upon graduation as possible. I went to the Notre Dame ASD on 4/3 and really loved it.

Thanks in advance.
The 2008 class sent 9 graduates to Texas. It's hard to answer your question just by looking at the numbers, however, because who knows how many people actually tried to get into Texas markets.

You will hear a lot said about the alumni network at ND being extremely strong. In defense of that notion, I have yet to start and have already received multiple letters from alumni who are partners in firms in the region where I currently live (nowhere near ND). If you are serious about getting to Texas from ND I think your best move is to try and find ND graduates in firms where you would like to work and begin networking now. It can be done. It will take more work than other students will have to put in, but I firmly believe that alumni will do all they can to help you.

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Mon May 04, 2009 12:26 pm

sd123 wrote:random question.. but are there any current ND students or anyone else out there who can shed some light on how well a ND Law degree translates in other regions of the country? I'm 80/20 right now in favor of Notre Dame over Georgetown's part time program, but I would like to end up in Texas after graduation and a lot of people have told me Notre Dame has trouble placing people anywhere in the country, and a T14 graduate can pretty much go anywhere. I've heard that outside of the T14, a degree is "regional." Thoughts? I'm not wedded to big law, but obviously would like to have as many options upon graduation as possible. I went to the Notre Dame ASD on 4/3 and really loved it.

Thanks in advance.
I think Texas is one of our top 3 markets, so there shouldn't be a shortage there. ND can place better in Texas than some of the so-called T14. The people that say ND can't place are only using the erroneous notion that the USNWR actually translates to portability, which it doesn't. One TLS poster did a study showing the most diverse placement was had by Duke, followed by ND, so even if it was "off" so to speak by a bit, it still backs up the anecdotes that ND places well everywhere.

kholmha

New

Post by kholmha » Tue May 05, 2009 2:14 pm

Do most 1L's leave for the summer? I am just wondering about signing a year long lease...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”