Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
OperaSoprano

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:01 pm

the fledgling wrote:When I have the time I might google those named scholarships for requirements, recipients, and amounts. Honestly even $500 would be helpful. Of course more $$ would be even more helpful...

I think if you're tenacious enough (and of course have the grades/other requirements) then you should be able to get a piece of the scholly pie. I'm especially interested in those writing competitions/course specific awards.

EDIT: Also I randomly met and spoke to parents of recent Fordham grads today and not only did they love their school, they're doing perfectly well in this market :)

I am definitely interested in writing competitions as well. I've always enjoyed crafting essays and writing papers; I need time to review and revise, which is not usually forthcoming during exams.( I know this is the point, though. Remove the time constraint, and we'd all be 180 test takers.)

About your edit: I'm thrilled for those recent grads, but not surprised at all. I hear Fordham's a pretty good school...

:D

pammy1985

Postby pammy1985 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:41 pm

Larry Tate wrote:It must really suck when you will be attending a TTT. Might as well save the money and go to Cooley.

What???

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:47 pm

pammy1985 wrote:
Larry Tate wrote:It must really suck when you will be attending a TTT. Might as well save the money and go to Cooley.

What???

Oh, he's been trolling for his school in a bunch of threads.

Alcohol + TLS do not go together, except possibly in the lounge.

pammy1985

Postby pammy1985 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:53 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
pammy1985 wrote:

What???

Oh, he's been trolling for his school in a bunch of threads.

Alcohol + TLS do not go together, except possibly in the lounge.

Lol. Got me there for a second. :x

frost

Postby frost » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:31 pm

hi classmates,
does anyone know what the FT schedule of classes will be like for a 1L? I know the admitted students book says Mon-Thurs 9-4:30 and Fri 9-3 or something like that, but is this accurate? The only Fordham grad I know said 1Ls don't have classes on Fridays which would be awesome, but he graduated 5+ years ago and doesn't know if things have changed.

I would like to keep working PT at my current job which is only open mon-fri, but if I can't, I need to submit my notice in the last week of July. I won't be able to wait for Fordham to release their schedules in August (and obviously I don't want to go out on a bad note with my supervisors).

Thanks!

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:44 pm

Hi Frost, welcome! I thought there was a FT schedule somewhere on Fordham's site but I can't find it. At any rate, we were shown one during the ASD and it went by quickly, so I can't be sure, but I thought I saw a morning class for Friday? Perhaps you could check with the registrar or admissions.

A quick note on employment though--us FT students are required to agree in the registration forms to work no more than 20 hours a week during law school. Just in case you hadn't run into that yet.

pammy1985

Postby pammy1985 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:45 pm

I just spoke to a guy from FAFSA and he said that on top of the Stafford Loans, Fordham should inform me of the amount of Perkins Loan that I will receive. However, in the letter they sent me stating that I won't get any aid, they only mentioned Stafford Loans. Has anyone received any further financial aid from them and is the Perkins Loan included? Is there any reason they wouldn't allow us to take out a Perkins Loan? Sorry to bother you about this, but I'm planning on leaving the country in July for a couple of weeks and want to finish this before leaving.

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:58 pm

Unfortunately I don't qualify for Perkins loans, so don't know very much about them. However, my limited understanding of Perkins loans is that if you do qualify you definitely should take them out as they're federal loans with a much lower interest rate (5% and you can take out up to $6,000--info courtesy of google).

This is just a hunch, but I think Fordham's Financial Aid site doesn't mention them because very few Fordham students meet the requirements. At any rate, contact Fin Aid on Monday to find out if you can take out these loans. You may even be able to do it through HESC :wink:

Although, Fordham did mention the TAP program in their booklet... I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

frost

Postby frost » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:07 am

thanks fledgling! i guess i will call up registrar or admissions but i figure they would probably just tell me they have no idea and schedules don't get released until august. but no harm in trying. and yes, i signed that i won't be working over 20 hours a week also - i'm only planning on working 10 or so, but i love my job and it's flexible which is why i want to stay for as long as possible.

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:36 pm

EDIT: Might be of interest to you frost--found this on the Admitted Students Site FAQ: "These [section] assignments are made at this later date to keep enrollments in the sections as even as possible. Legal Writing classes will meet at various times throughout the week, Monday through Friday."

So it looks like we may indeed have class on Friday.

Update on Intro to Study of Law, 3rd Edition: It isn't currently available in Fordham's bookstore and according to the Admitted Student site, won't be until the end of July (ugh). Like Pammy said, LexisNexis (the publisher) has it for $45. Law Books For Less has it for $41.58, but it's on back order from the publisher. Amazon, BN, and Borders only have the 2nd edition available. St. Thomas School of Law (where Madiski teaches) doesn't have it for sale.

I'm checking with Lexis to make sure they actually have the book in stock. Either way, this is a tad disappointing. I don't want to wait until the end of July or pay full price. :(

pammy1985

Postby pammy1985 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:00 pm

the fledgling wrote:Unfortunately I don't qualify for Perkins loans, so don't know very much about them. However, my limited understanding of Perkins loans is that if you do qualify you definitely should take them out as they're federal loans with a much lower interest rate (5% and you can take out up to $6,000--info courtesy of google).

This is just a hunch, but I think Fordham's Financial Aid site doesn't mention them because very few Fordham students meet the requirements. At any rate, contact Fin Aid on Monday to find out if you can take out these loans. You may even be able to do it through HESC :wink:

Although, Fordham did mention the TAP program in their booklet... I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

Do you know why you don't qualify for Perkins? Does it have to do with income? I'm screwed!!! :?

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:11 pm

I think I don't qualify because I'm not considered needy enough (I didn't qualify for Fordham's need-based aid, so I'm in part basing it off of that). Check out this site on Perkins: http://www.ed.gov/programs/fpl/index.html

It's possible Fordham doesn't participate in the Perkins program, but only Fordham would be able to tell you that. Don't worry though--at the very least you'll qualify for Stafford loans. The rest can be covered with Grad Plus, assuming your credit isn't awful and you're not delinquent on your payments for past loans/credit cards/etc. Many students take this route, myself included.

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:18 pm

Considering Fordham's comparatively small endowment, I highly doubt they offer any Perkins Loans to law students. Schools act as direct lenders of Perkins loans. Additionally, Fordham already offers Fordham loans.

Besides, the maximum Perkins loan amount you can be awarded is $ 3,000 per year.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:47 pm

I've been hunting around the admitted students' website, looking for information about our first semester classes. Obviously, section information isn't up yet, but I'm wondering if anyone knows which courses are taught first semester, specifically for PT students. I'm not certain if there is an established order to first year courses, or if they vary by section.

Thanks so much!

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:04 am

OS, this is as much as I was able to find, which was on the academic regulations page of the registrar:

The program in both first year day and evening consists entirely of required courses. In both the second and third year day and evening divisions there are only two required courses. Required courses in the first year must be taken with the class section to which the student is assigned by the school. The Dean or the Dean's delegate [in this instance, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs] may schedule a student to take a required course at another time under extraordinary circumstances.

Students are not allowed to take required courses at other law schools in summer sessions or otherwise without permission of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. The required courses and the number of credits assigned to each are as follow:

FIRST YEAR DAY
Civil Procedure (5)
Constitutional Law (4)
Contracts (5)
Criminal Law (3)
Legal Process (1)
Legal Writing and Research (3)
Property (5)
Torts (5)

FIRST YEAR EVENING
Contracts (5)
Criminal Law (3)
Legal Process (1)
Legal Writing and Research (3)
Property (5)
Torts (5)

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:37 am

Holy crap -- no Civ Pro in the evenings?

::stops reading his civ pro E&E::

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:40 am

nitsudrx wrote:Holy crap -- no Civ Pro in the evenings?

Hopefully that list is updated!

jrock12

Postby jrock12 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:46 am

just curious, are you really reading E&Es?

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:18 am

jrock12 wrote:

Just Civ Pro, so I have a rough understanding of the skeleton of the legal system.

jrock12

Postby jrock12 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:22 am

nitsudrx wrote:
jrock12 wrote:

Just Civ Pro, so I have a rough understanding of the skeleton of the legal system.

again just curious, did someone suggest this to you? i ask because i've heard mixed things about reading E&E's before beginnig school...an easy read or tough to buzz through?

sentinal5656

Postby sentinal5656 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:28 pm

jrock12 wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:
jrock12 wrote:

again just curious, did someone suggest this to you? i ask because i've heard mixed things about reading E&E's before beginnig school...an easy read or tough to buzz through?

Reading the E&E's wont hurt you. Its a good thing to do if your simply curious. But the consensus is that it wont offer you a great advantage. Take that for what you will.

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:33 pm

You know what would be awesome? Getting Judge Denny Chin as your legal writing instructor!

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:40 pm

silenziatori wrote:You know what would be awesome? Getting Judge Denny Chin as your legal writing instructor!

Yeah, that would be. Does he teach evenings? Probably not, right?

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:44 pm

geoanthem wrote:
silenziatori wrote:You know what would be awesome? Getting Judge Denny Chin as your legal writing instructor!

Yeah, that would be. Does he teach evenings? Probably not, right?

Not sure. His faculty webpage doesn't say.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:58 pm

jrock12 wrote:

I'm really reading E&Es. The first year valedictorian at Tulane sold all his to me for $12 a piece.

I have more than I can possibly finish this summer. If anyone needs to borrow, send me a PM.

I'm such a gunner, but like a nice gunner who shares things.

EDIT: Silenz, I love you so much. Thanks for sharing this list.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”