Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
CorpRaider

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby CorpRaider » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:27 am

Was there a website provided for the AEP? It sounds like something I would definitely attend, however I haven't received any information in the mail. Is it available for only a select group of students or can any incoming 1L enroll?

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:30 am

CorpRaider wrote:Was there a website provided for the AEP? It sounds like something I would definitely attend, however I haven't received any information in the mail. Is it available for only a select group of students or can any incoming 1L enroll?

I believe it is only available to a select group of students, based on the language I quoted in my previous post. I have no clue what the selection process consists of.

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:06 pm

pammy1985 wrote:I kind of want to start reading for school so I'm looking to buy Introduction to the Study of Law, Third Edition (2009) and found it for $45 on LexisNexis. Has anyone else looked? Any cheaper at other sites?

I'm heading over to Fordham's bookstore after work to see how much it costs. I would ideally like to begin reading it on the beach tomorrow, so might decide to just spring for full price (depending on what that full price is of course). Will let the board know though. I'm also going to try to get them to hand over Case of a Lifetime. I figure we're getting it for free in a week or two anyway, so why not let me have it now?

Also reading: Getting to Maybe (like others said, not difficult to read, but I'd definitely understand it better if I had a half a semester under my belt). I'm also paging through Law School Confidential, which I'm not particularly liking, though will admit that there are a few helpful tips in there. I'd read more prep for LS related books but other books (Fordham's assigned reading, my own summer reading) will probably make them difficult to fit in.

On another point--I guess then the AEP isn't available to everyone?

jrock12

Postby jrock12 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:13 pm

the fledgling wrote:
pammy1985 wrote:I kind of want to start reading for school so I'm looking to buy Introduction to the Study of Law, Third Edition (2009) and found it for $45 on LexisNexis. Has anyone else looked? Any cheaper at other sites?

I'm heading over to Fordham's bookstore after work to see how much it costs. I would ideally like to begin reading it on the beach tomorrow, so might decide to just spring for full price (depending on what that full price is of course). Will let the board know though. I'm also going to try to get them to hand over Case of a Lifetime. I figure we're getting it for free in a week or two anyway, so why not let me have it now?

Also reading: Getting to Maybe (like others said, not difficult to read, but I'd definitely understand it better if I had a half a semester under my belt). I'm also paging through Law School Confidential, which I'm not particularly liking, though will admit that there are a few helpful tips in there. I'd read more prep for LS related books but other books (Fordham's assigned reading, my own summer reading) will probably make them difficult to fit in.

just fyi...i'm pretty sure the bookstore closes today at 1p.m.....wouldn't want you to make the trip all the way over only to be disappointed

pammy1985

Postby pammy1985 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:16 pm

the fledgling wrote:

Thanks!

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:19 pm

aw :( Thanks, Jrock.

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:24 pm

It's sort of been a sad Fordham week. I could go for an OS pep talk.

pammy1985

Postby pammy1985 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:34 pm

silenziatori wrote:It's sort of been a sad Fordham week. I could go for an OS pep talk.

???

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:39 pm

I think its been a sad week overall. Slash month. Even the sunny days are rainy days :cry:

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:48 pm

And btw with loans, in case anyone's interested, I think I'm going with Discover. That .25% difference could be a big difference in the long run. Plus I was told that although the processing time is longer when not using HESC, it's not that much longer.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:10 pm

It's been a rough week for me, too. My laptop died, taking all my music with it. Fortunately I think I can get back what I bought from iTunes. Next time I'll actually heed good advice and back things up.

I did visit the school, though; or rather I stopped by to meet my new roommate, who is awesome. Seriously, you guys are the best thing about our school. I could not ask for better classmates.

It sometimes seems that everyone is scared. CCNers are scared. People tell me things... but I refuse to buy into the hysteria. Exactly what do we gain by such speculation? Apologies to Rayiner, who is awesome, but the world is not coming to an end. New York City has survived far worse. We don't know what the legal market will look like when the dust settles, but for my part, I'm sticking around to rebuild.

I'm as happy with Fordham as I was on the day I got in. I'm glad that we've gotten to hear varied viewpoints about the school from d-bag and tucker. I have also been personally contacted by current students who are quite happy with their school choice. My ex, a 2004 graduate who made law review and got a V100 job, loved Fordham. He had the grades to transfer to Columbia... and he declined.

Rachyk

Postby Rachyk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:50 pm

So I just got accepted today and am so excited!! Where is everyone going to be living? I have a small dog so I am looking for something near school that accepts pets..... any suggestions?

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:38 pm

Welcome Rachyk! PT or FT? And I suppose it depends on your price range?

OS, that's awful about your computer. My MacBook gave me the gray screen of death about six months ago--like a month after the 1 year warranty ended :| --and I lost the music I hadn't backed up. Apple was pretty helpful, but there were a few songs from iTunes (about 15%) that they couldn't resend me for some technical reason. It was a little sad.

On the plus side, I read in Fordham's technology site that they have a system which we can all remotely connect to and back-up our files on. :) Fordham's also a mac-friendly school, meaning we won't have to make our mac's operate windows (I checked with them, major relief).

I'm happy with my choice too. It's an expensive, but worthwhile investment. The risk--and I believe it's manageable--is far less than other schools. And New York will recover. It always does. (I know, that's faulty reasoning but whatever.)

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:10 pm

Rachyk, Congratulations! Are you attending for sure? Waitlist admissions are the very best kind; no one loves the school more than we do.

Fledgling, I'm so glad we can take exams on our Macs without having to deal with Windows. ick. I'm sending you a quick PM. I've also always wondered: Is that your cat in your avatar? The squished looking ragdoll kitten in my former avatar is mine.

Fordham is expensive, but our school has such a small endowment ($300 million for the entire university, according to Legends, who just graduated)... It's likely that our tuition dollars will be pressed into immediate service.

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:58 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I've also always wondered: Is that your cat in your avatar? The squished looking ragdoll kitten in my former avatar is mine.

I love ragdoll kittens--so cute and friendly! The kitten in my avatar is not mine (I've actually always had dogs--yellow labs). It's a cat in China that was born with "wings" (a.k.a. mutant kitty). I've never seen one in real life, but my friend's cat had a litter of kittens born with "thumbs." Little Mickey Six Fingers was my fav :D

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:04 pm

Ah yes, polydactyl cats. Ernest Hemingway's house in Key West is home to 60 of these types of cats. Check it out, it's awesome:

http://www.hemingwayhome.com/HTML/our_cats.htm

Live cat cam:

http://www.hemingwayhome.com/HTML/cat_cam.htm

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:15 pm

^ I love how there are dozen pictures of cats and then one of a rooster, right in the middle.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:29 am

I love how this thread is now about cats. La Petite Cosette approves, and sends purrs. :D

July is going to be a very long month.

pammy1985

Postby pammy1985 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:51 am

OMG congrats Rachyk!!!!! Welcome!!!! So nice to hear from new ppl. Join the Fordham fb page ASAP. :)

On another note, I am freaking out a bit. Fordham isn't giving me any need based aid, which doesn't mean that the feds won't right? I'm going insane thinking about all the loans I'll have to pull out! I'll try asking for some academic based aid, but I doubt I would qualify. You think they would offer that in the second semester or second year if you are somewhere at the top of your class? I'm just so worried about having a $200K hole in my pocket after ls.

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:34 am

pammy1985 wrote:OMG congrats Rachyk!!!!! Welcome!!!! So nice to hear from new ppl. Join the Fordham fb page ASAP. :)

On another note, I am freaking out a bit. Fordham isn't giving me any need based aid, which doesn't mean that the feds won't right? I'm going insane thinking about all the loans I'll have to pull out! I'll try asking for some academic based aid, but I doubt I would qualify. You think they would offer that in the second semester or second year if you are somewhere at the top of your class? I'm just so worried about having a $200K hole in my pocket after ls.

You should be fine as long as any federal student loans you currently have are in current status (which is important for both Stafford and GradPLUS), and you don't have any debts that have been delinquent for 3 or more months (important for GradPLUS).

I don't know if Fordham would revise your aid award for the second semester (doesn't hurt to ask though), but I can definitely see them doing so for your second year. I believe they also have performance based awards available to students. And, there are a lot of outside scholarships that can be applied for.

Check out this page:

http://law.fordham.edu/financial-aid/1904.htm

EDIT: A lot of the Fordham named scholarships links don't work.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Silenz, by performance based awards, do you mean money given to top students to deter transferring? I've heard that many schools do this (apparently this is where the money goes when students at schools with conditional scholarships lose them.) It would be kick ass if Fordham did this (not, obviously, by yanking other students' scholarships, which is a reprehensible practice), but reconsideration for funding would be a small miracle.

Like many others, I got nothing, and I'm not feeling the need to go T14 shopping even if I seriously beat the curve.

Have you heard any specifics about this? Obviously it wouldn't be something to count on, but something to hope for.

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:44 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Silenz, by performance based awards, do you mean money given to top students to deter transferring? I've heard that many schools do this (apparently this is where the money goes when students at schools with conditional scholarships lose them.) It would be kick ass if Fordham did this (not, obviously, by yanking other students' scholarships, which is a reprehensible practice), but reconsideration for funding would be a small miracle.

Like many others, I got nothing, and I'm not feeling the need to go T14 shopping even if I seriously beat the curve.

Have you heard any specifics about this? Obviously it wouldn't be something to count on, but something to hope for.

I don't know, unfortunately. The site is short on details, so we will probably have to wait until school starts to find this out (or PM a recent graduate). As best as I can recall, there were some awards for students who got the top grade in certain classes, but I don't remember if these were given out at graduation, or before. I also can't remember what the criteria of all those Fordham named scholarships are.

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:04 pm

When I have the time I might google those named scholarships for requirements, recipients, and amounts. Honestly even $500 would be helpful. Of course more $$ would be even more helpful...

I think if you're tenacious enough (and of course have the grades/other requirements) then you should be able to get a piece of the scholly pie. I'm especially interested in those writing competitions/course specific awards.

EDIT: Also I randomly met and spoke to parents of recent Fordham grads today and not only did they love their school, they're doing perfectly well in this market :)

ascremer

Postby ascremer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:29 pm

jrock12 wrote:i started reading getting to maybe

i read this book on the beach, wasnt as bad as i thought, although it seems like it was written for 1L students so I didnt really understand some parts, other than that i like the last 50-60 pages with sample exams, faq and tips!

Larry Tate

Postby Larry Tate » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:37 pm

It must really suck when you will be attending a TTT. Might as well save the money and go to Cooley.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”