Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jrock12

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby jrock12 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:06 am

nitsudrx wrote:
jrock12 wrote:has anyone embarked on the GradPlus process yet?

No. Is there a deadline of when this needs to be done? (How irresponsible of me...)

ha...nah, i dont think so...i assume we have through july to do it...but i've just been on cruise control for the past few months and would like to get some of this stuff hammered out

jrock12

Postby jrock12 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:07 am

silenziatori wrote:Haven't done anything about GradPlus since Fordham released the new COA just last week. I'll be starting the process soon.

I think the fact we need to go through HESC is annoying.

just entertain me since i am not too familiar....why is that annoying?

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:12 am

What is Gradplus?

sentinal5656

Postby sentinal5656 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:59 pm

geoanthem wrote:What is Gradplus?

really?

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:03 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:

really?

Really. Is it for loans? I guess I am not familiar with it since I don't have to take out any loans.

jrock12

Postby jrock12 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:06 pm

geoanthem wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:

really?

Really. Is it for loans? I guess I am not familiar with it since I don't have to take out any loans.

yea it basically fills the gap between federal stafford loans and total COA

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:08 pm

jrock12 wrote:
geoanthem wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:

really?

yea it basically fills the gap between federal stafford loans and total COA

Ok, thanks. I didn't want to come off badly. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I needed to be working on.

sentinal5656

Postby sentinal5656 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:13 pm

geoanthem wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:

really?

Sorry, haha.

Everyone gets the standard Stafford loans. That will equal in some combination of unsubsidized and subsidized, $20,500. That typically never covers the full cost of tuition and living. Therefore, students need something called "GradPlus" loans to fill the GAP. These are loans you receive via a private lender. The limit is the full cost of tuition. Here a formula:

Scholarship + Stafford + GradPLus = Cost of Attendance (Tuition + Living)

If your scholarship is massive, then you might not need Stafford loans or GradPlus loans. You only go to GradPlus loans when your Stafford loans and your Scholarship cannot cover the cost. The reason for this is because the GradPlus loans have a higher interest rate.

I hope this helps. Let me know if there are any other questions.

jrock12

Postby jrock12 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:12 pm

sentinal have gotten started on applying for gradplus?

sentinal5656

Postby sentinal5656 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:32 pm

jrock12 wrote:sentinal have gotten started on applying for gradplus?

nope not yet. I wonder when this has to be done by....

Dasein

Postby Dasein » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:27 pm

For those of you going to Fordham PT, what is your status as it concerns Fafsa? 3/4 time or half time?

Will being part time status preclude me from borrowing the maximum 20,500 in stafford loans?

Thanks!

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:36 pm

Dasein wrote:For those of you going to Fordham PT, what is your status as it concerns Fafsa? 3/4 time or half time?

Will being part time status preclude me from borrowing the maximum 20,500 in stafford loans?

Thanks!

I believe we are 3/4 time. (Wow, that sounded unintentionally musical!) As far as I know, we can still take out the max loan amount. I'm still learning about the process, since I didn't have any loans for undergrad.

sentinal5656

Postby sentinal5656 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:47 pm

Does anyone know what the likelihood of finding a 4BR is?

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:06 am

jrock12 wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:
jrock12 wrote:has anyone embarked on the GradPlus process yet?

No. Is there a deadline of when this needs to be done? (How irresponsible of me...)

ha...nah, i dont think so...i assume we have through july to do it...but i've just been on cruise control for the past few months and would like to get some of this stuff hammered out

So I had an email exchange with the financial aid office today and they informed me that loans will be dispersed to us 3 days before classes. The calendar also says that we should complete the Master Promissory Note for loans in July(ish).

HESC also told me it takes about 10-15 minutes to complete the eMPN for GradPlus and then they aren't finalized until Fordham finalizes them (which is annoying to me). I'll probably get around to completing the eMPN this week.

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:23 am

jrock12 wrote:
silenziatori wrote:Haven't done anything about GradPlus since Fordham released the new COA just last week. I'll be starting the process soon.

I take it back. It isn't annoying in itself. I went through the Access Group MPN process a while back and stopped when I realized I was applying for loans for Temple. Now I just have to fill the exact same forms through HESC.

Don't know if this is up to date or not, but here is Fordham's list of preferred lenders. Based only on the lenders included in the list, it would appear Citibank would be the way to go because of the repayment based interest rate reductions.

I don't know if this list is exhaustive, but if someone starts the HESC process, can you post a complete list of available lenders?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:43 am

Hey, did you guys see this?

--LinkRemoved--

<3 Optimists. <3 Fordham!

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:16 am

I really hope 3/4 of the comments on ATL are not coming from actual lawyers.

I like their part to whole fail:

By comparison with the other schools in the survey, the salaries for the Fordham kids look pretty sweet. But compared to other law schools.... eek!

jrock12

Postby jrock12 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:57 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
Dasein wrote:For those of you going to Fordham PT, what is your status as it concerns Fafsa? 3/4 time or half time?

Thanks!

I believe we are 3/4 time. (Wow, that sounded unintentionally musical!) As far as I know, we can still take out the max loan amount. I'm still learning about the process, since I didn't have any loans for undergrad.

just for clarification purposes, you are considered full time for FAFSA purposes...i, too, was confused about this so i did confirm it with fordhams financial aid office

jrock12

Postby jrock12 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:03 am

silenziatori wrote:
jrock12 wrote:

I take it back. It isn't annoying in itself. I went through the Access Group MPN process a while back and stopped when I realized I was applying for loans for Temple. Now I just have to fill the exact same forms through HESC.

Don't know if this is up to date or not, but here is Fordham's list of preferred lenders. Based only on the lenders included in the list, it would appear Citibank would be the way to go because of the repayment based interest rate reductions.

I don't know if this list is exhaustive, but if someone starts the HESC process, can you post a complete list of available lenders?

so we have to go through HESC on gradplus as well? i guess i'm just confused because i signed the MPN through HESC for Stafford, but didnt know HESC played a role in gradplus as well...i literally thought you researched a lender on your own (i'm hearing wells fargo seems to be playing out as the best option)

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:02 am

OperaSoprano wrote:Hey, did you guys see this?

--LinkRemoved--

Good find Opera. Look at those salary numbers compared to NYU and Columbia 8) Not saying they are accurate, but how did they find choose the Fordham grads as compared to Columbia and NYU grads?

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:23 am

geoanthem wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Good find Opera. Look at those salary numbers compared to NYU and Columbia 8) Not saying they are accurate, but how did they find choose the Fordham grads as compared to Columbia and NYU grads?

Why did they say that the salary numbers weren't good compared to other law schools?

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:27 am

nitsudrx wrote:
geoanthem wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Why did they say that the salary numbers weren't good compared to other law schools?

I don't think they are half bad at all, considering the way the economy looks right now

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:29 am

geoanthem wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:
geoanthem wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I don't think they are half bad at all, considering the way the economy looks right now

Seriously. Plus, it was an unofficial number based on what... 20 grads?

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:25 pm

Dinos has pretty much ended my cycle lol see you all in the fall.

at what point will I be remiss for not having figured out housing? i figure, it's new york, it's about at least a month too early to start looking right now isn't it?

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:30 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:Dinos has pretty much ended my cycle lol see you all in the fall.

at what point will I be remiss for not having figured out housing? i figure, it's new york, it's about at least a month too early to start looking right now isn't it?

I would say so. They normally want you to move in within two weeks. I would start looking earlier because realtors and leasing offices usually have an idea of what is going to become available and when. Our realtor made sure we were the first person she called when a certain apartment became available.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”