Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
ascremer

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby ascremer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:25 am

my friend (UG in Jersey) and I will be living anywhere on the west side from Battery Park to 60s
I looked at Financial District residences around 100john, 2gold and 63-67wall street and found nice apartments for reasonable price so I am hoping for a doorman/elevator building with 2bedrooms or flex 2 for under 2,500

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:00 am

OperaSoprano wrote:Look what I found! It's Columbia's new COA, courtesy of Lex Talionis, in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74104&hilit=lex&start=50

Since I'm not a mean person, I won't insert a mean comment here. I do feel slightly better about our tuition, though.

Your research is more thorough than mine! I wonder if any of the big three NYC schools ever decreased their tuition in the last ten years. An upward trend at this percentage does not bode well for us, especially given the recent decreases in many big law salaries. :?

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:11 am

I was going to mention that the tuition doesn't increase at the same rate for 2Ls and 3Ls as it does for incoming students, but then I realized the difference is about $ 400.

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:39 am

OperaSoprano wrote:Look what I found! It's Columbia's new COA, courtesy of Lex Talionis, in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74104&hilit=lex&start=50

Since I'm not a mean person, I won't insert a mean comment here. I do feel slightly better about our tuition, though.

That's brutal, I would pay it anyway to be there, (may even throw a transfer app if I kick ass somewhere else) but thats.... wow.

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:42 am

The sad part is that the price of Cardozo is up there with Fordham around 44k. I think it was more last year.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:53 am

Hah! 71k? For that TTT!!! :lol:

Really, the lesson we can learn from this is that it's very possible to live off of less than the total Fordham COA. Columbia's tuition is 50k, but their COA is only 71k.

sentinal5656

Postby sentinal5656 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:12 pm

the fledgling wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:How much is it to stay in the dorms at fordham?

Where is everyone planning on living?

What about the roommate situation?

I plan on going solo in the UWS. Peace of mind by the park. Hoping my current application won't fall through :oops:

How much rent do you think you will end up paying? Isnt it really expensive near central park!!!!!!!!!!

sentinal5656

Postby sentinal5656 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:13 pm

broach911 wrote:
the fledgling wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:How much is it to stay in the dorms at fordham?

Where is everyone planning on living?

What about the roommate situation?

I plan on going solo in the UWS. Peace of mind by the park. Hoping my current application won't fall through :oops:

Same, Looking in Hells Kitchen, but with the prices, I think I'll most likely end up UWS. Wouldn't mind it.

Hells kitchen is not walking distance to Fordham tho.. Are you operating under that assumption?

How much do you plan on paying in the UWS? Where in the UWS are u looking into..?

sentinal5656

Postby sentinal5656 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:14 pm

HAHAHAH.

thats ridicc., wowww

SmittyLaw

Postby SmittyLaw » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:06 pm

I'm staying in my current apt - $600 in Park Slope :)

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Staying in my apartment in Midtown East. But I am two blocks away from Grand Central so its really easy to get to Fordham. I take the Grand Central Shuttle to Times Square and then hop on the one to Fordham. All in all about 15 mins from grand central to fordham, not bad.

SmittyLaw

Postby SmittyLaw » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:11 pm

BTW found out I got no money from Fordham. No surprise really, since they take parental financial information into account, even though I'm totally financially independent and survived on a partly income in 2008. Oh well. Sigh.

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:12 pm

I'll be in the dorms.

zoe

Postby zoe » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:39 pm

silenziatori wrote:I'll be in the dorms.

have they done assignments yet?

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:58 pm

No, but I believe I shouldn't have an issue getting an assignment. If you haven't done so already, you have to email Kate Cunningham in order to request housing.

zoe

Postby zoe » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:01 pm

silenziatori wrote:No, but I believe I shouldn't have an issue getting an assignment. If you haven't done so already, you have to email Kate Cunningham in order to request housing.

yes, i've done that. i hope it isn't an issue for me either. any idea when assignments will be done?

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:04 pm

zoe wrote:
silenziatori wrote:No, but I believe I shouldn't have an issue getting an assignment. If you haven't done so already, you have to email Kate Cunningham in order to request housing.

yes, i've done that. i hope it isn't an issue for me either. any idea when assignments will be done?

Early June, supposedly.

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Anybody play handball?

This kind:

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:49 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:How much rent do you think you will end up paying? Isnt it really expensive near central park!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be below the amount Fordham allots to room and board, plus I have a good amount of savings on my own. I've been out of college for a bit and just can't go back to the whole dorm/bunch of roommates thing. Sure, that would save me some $$ but it's important to me that I have my own little safe haven for at least year one of law school.

FYI, Hells Kitchen pretty much goes up to the law school (I think the border's 59th). It's more livable and sometimes more affordable than the Lincoln Center area which is dominated by big, cold looking developments, and if you're in the 50s its a short walk to Fordham. There are a bunch of decent places in the high 50s between 8th and 10th and good restaurants in the area too. Ultimately though it depends on what you're looking for and what's most important to you. For me, I'd like to be within walking distance of the school, but not so close that I feel like it consumes every aspect of my life. Plus I have friends in the UWS :)

jrock12

Postby jrock12 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:35 am

the fledgling wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:How much rent do you think you will end up paying? Isnt it really expensive near central park!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be below the amount Fordham allots to room and board, plus I have a good amount of savings on my own. I've been out of college for a bit and just can't go back to the whole dorm/bunch of roommates thing. Sure, that would save me some $$ but it's important to me that I have my own little safe haven for at least year one of law school.

FYI, Hells Kitchen pretty much goes up to the law school (I think the border's 59th). It's more livable and sometimes more affordable than the Lincoln Center area which is dominated by big, cold looking developments, and if you're in the 50s its a short walk to Fordham. There are a bunch of decent places in the high 50s between 8th and 10th and good restaurants in the area too. Ultimately though it depends on what you're looking for and what's most important to you. For me, I'd like to be within walking distance of the school, but not so close that I feel like it consumes every aspect of my life. Plus I have friends in the UWS :)

i live b/w central park west and columbus and its absurdly expensive...definitely check out hell's kitchen....one of my best friends ('08 FU law grad) lived as low as 42nd street and had no complaints about getting to school (walked most of the time)...i used to live on 45th and 9th in a very reasonably priced 2-br and have no real complaints about the neighborhood and this was when fordham wasnt even in the question

the buildings in the direct lincoln center area are your generic, cookie-cutter, 35 story doorman buildings....there's absolutely nothing wrong with them, but they are just kind of generic, and tend to be a little more on the expensive side due to the whole doorman factor

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:58 am

Does anyone else think it would be a bad idea to keep living south of 14th St? My roommate is apparently allergic to the rest of Manhattan.

RE: Yesterday's skirmish with our friends uptown: this is how it got started, if anyone is curious: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74104&start=50

Fighting just makes me :cry:. It would be like the Civil War; we both have too many friends on the other side.

My dear roommate might be amenable to the west village, though, if we can afford it. I'm going to lobby hard.

sentinal5656

Postby sentinal5656 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:07 pm

the fledgling wrote:

I did not realize Hell's kitchen went up that far. Thats good information. Thanks!. I was thinking about apartments in the high 60's... It doesnt seem like it would be a far walk and it might cut down the prices. Any ideas?

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:08 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Does anyone else think it would be a bad idea to keep living south of 14th St? My roommate is apparently allergic to the rest of Manhattan.

RE: Yesterday's skirmish with our friends uptown: this is how it got started, if anyone is curious: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74104&start=50

Fighting just makes me :cry:. It would be like the Civil War; we both have too many friends on the other side.

My dear roommate might be amenable to the west village, though, if we can afford it. I'm going to lobby hard.

Stay in the village, its not that bad a commute.

jrock12

Postby jrock12 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:15 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:
the fledgling wrote:

I did not realize Hell's kitchen went up that far. Thats good information. Thanks!. I was thinking about apartments in the high 60's... It doesnt seem like it would be a far walk and it might cut down the prices. Any ideas?

high 60s will be more expensive than HK

jrock12

Postby jrock12 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:26 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Does anyone else think it would be a bad idea to keep living south of 14th St? My roommate is apparently allergic to the rest of Manhattan.

i dont think so at all
how far east are you right now?
WV would be the perfect balance i think (keep the vibe of a cool neighborhood, yet with an easier commute)...but we all know this comes with a price tag

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”