Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jrock12
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby jrock12 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:57 am

the fledgling wrote:
silenziatori wrote:
the fledgling wrote:
silenziatori wrote:Alright, so far my Property professor does not allow laptops in class, and my Contracts professor "discourages" the use of laptops. And, I just found out I bought the wrong property casebook off of a law student friend. wtf?

/rant


Noooooooooo

:cry:

Well, I guess I'll have to buy a better notebook. The property book for section 5 should be Property Law, Singer, 4th edition, right?


It isn't Singer. :( I got the Singer off of a friend. Our book is edited by Jesse Dukeminier, 6th ed. (2006). I should've waited, but really, I don't think it's much to ask that the bookstore website reflect they don't have book information for the current semester until it's actually available, and that professors tell us which books we'll need with a little bit more notice.


Seriously???? Dammit. That is so not cool re: the bookstore's website. Now I'm going to have to return a book that hasn't even arrived yet!

EDIT: Does anyone know if this Property book is available in the bookstore? It retails new from $123-$160...


i think you guys have it all figured out at this point, but yes the bookstore does have the property book...i bought all my books there 2 days ago, and all books are there, by section...so despite the website possibly being wrong, it appears as if they have the correct ones on the shelves

User avatar
palmettoru
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby palmettoru » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:05 am

Just ordered my Property book off of Barnes and Nobles for $123 new. They have free shipping and will ship same day in Manhattan. Does anyone know if we have a campus mailing address? How is the availability of used books looking at Fordham bookstore? I still need to get my Criminal Law book.

jrock12
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby jrock12 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:40 am

palmettoru wrote:Just ordered my Property book off of Barnes and Nobles for $123 new. They have free shipping and will ship same day in Manhattan. Does anyone know if we have a campus mailing address? How is the availability of used books looking at Fordham bookstore? I still need to get my Criminal Law book.


palmettoru, remind me what section you are in?

when i was there at least, i actually had a hard time finding a new CrimLaw book (tips for those in the same situation--look on the very top or even other side of the shelf...if you dont immediately see any new books, they are usually hidden here)...so needless to say, they had a good amount of used CrimLaw books...the only issue i found (and i did not spend a lot of time looking) was that most of them were pretty marked up/highlighted/written in

User avatar
palmettoru
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby palmettoru » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:47 am

jrock12 wrote:
palmettoru wrote:Just ordered my Property book off of Barnes and Nobles for $123 new. They have free shipping and will ship same day in Manhattan. Does anyone know if we have a campus mailing address? How is the availability of used books looking at Fordham bookstore? I still need to get my Criminal Law book.


palmettoru, remind me what section you are in?

when i was there at least, i actually had a hard time finding a new CrimLaw book (tips for those in the same situation--look on the very top or even other side of the shelf...if you dont immediately see any new books, they are usually hidden here)...so needless to say, they had a good amount of used CrimLaw books...the only issue i found (and i did not spend a lot of time looking) was that most of them were pretty marked up/highlighted/written in


I'm in Section 10, you?

jrock12
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby jrock12 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:57 am

palmettoru wrote:
jrock12 wrote:
palmettoru wrote:Just ordered my Property book off of Barnes and Nobles for $123 new. They have free shipping and will ship same day in Manhattan. Does anyone know if we have a campus mailing address? How is the availability of used books looking at Fordham bookstore? I still need to get my Criminal Law book.


palmettoru, remind me what section you are in?

when i was there at least, i actually had a hard time finding a new CrimLaw book (tips for those in the same situation--look on the very top or even other side of the shelf...if you dont immediately see any new books, they are usually hidden here)...so needless to say, they had a good amount of used CrimLaw books...the only issue i found (and i did not spend a lot of time looking) was that most of them were pretty marked up/highlighted/written in


I'm in Section 10, you?


section 9

User avatar
the fledgling
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:57 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby the fledgling » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:15 pm

My books came today, including the property book came and I ordered it from B&N at 1:00am yesterday. My other property book can be returned to my neighborhood B&N. All in all, very pleased :D

So, who is headed to the Gin Mill tonight? I heard someone say wine wasn't included in the open bar, which would be very sad since that's usually all I drink. In my open bar experience though that generally isn't the case. Especially when its $20.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-gin-mill-new-york

Thoughts?

Woodbane77
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby Woodbane77 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:26 pm

the fledgling wrote:My books came today, including the property book came and I ordered it from B&N at 1:00am yesterday. My other property book can be returned to my neighborhood B&N. All in all, very pleased :D

So, who is headed to the Gin Mill tonight? I heard someone say wine wasn't included in the open bar, which would be very sad since that's usually all I drink. In my open bar experience though that generally isn't the case. Especially when its $20.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-gin-mill-new-york

Thoughts?


I'm going, but I went to Monday's and Tuesday's so that's no surprise. Everyone I've talked to says if you only plan to go to one, tonight's is the one to attend and that its worth the 20 dollars. Also as a fun little side note, I am interpreting the fact that we have an open bar night the night before our first final to be a sign that the test is going to be relatively easy.

Basically, my thought process is, we don't have to get up until two in the afternoon, you might as well get a little drunk and bond with the people you'll be spending the next three years with.

Ninja edit: I got my public service assignment today. I am apparently doing the marriage equality thing. I have wake up at 9:30, but they are feeding me so I'm a little less likely to complain.

User avatar
the fledgling
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:57 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby the fledgling » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:31 pm

True story woodbane. Normally I wouldn't spend $20 in a place like the Gin Mill, so I'm kinda meh about it, but I get that its about the bonding experience not my taste in bars. :wink:

Has there been good turn-out at the past events?

EDIT: (jumping on the bandwagon) I'm helping clean up Riverside Park. 9:00am. Sheesh. Looking forward to it though.

Woodbane77
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby Woodbane77 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:54 pm

the fledgling wrote:Has there been good turn-out at the past events?


Not too shabby. I rarely see people from my section though, so that's kind of a drag. I'm hoping more people I've met show up to this one, so I don't have to do the obligatory introductions when I first get there.

User avatar
broach911
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby broach911 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:42 pm

Wish I could of gone but I have so many boxes in my apt, the claustrophobia is starting to set in. I need to finish unpacking before next week. I might stop by the bakery thing tom before the final for a sugar pick me up though.

ascremer
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:25 am

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby ascremer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:50 pm

Jetlag, jetlag, jetlag!
I think im gonna fall asleep. I was looking forward to tonight though! =(

I'm doing the human rights one as public service assignment!
anyone else?

edit: im coming to magnolia, but not eating any cupcakes.

frogandprince
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:58 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby frogandprince » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:33 pm

ascremer wrote:Jetlag, jetlag, jetlag!
I think im gonna fall asleep. I was looking forward to tonight though! =(

I'm doing the human rights one as public service assignment!
anyone else?

edit: im coming to magnolia, but not eating any cupcakes.


Is the human rights thing basically just going around the neighborhood, asking for signatures? Because that's what it seems like to me.

User avatar
silenziatori
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby silenziatori » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Went to the bar, that shit was packed and ultra sweaty. Some other folks looked like they were having a good time, but I got tired of yelling at people in order to have a conversation. See you all tomorrow?

EDIT (gotta work on this ninja thing): I got assigned to the Legal Observer thing. :)
Last edited by silenziatori on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ascremer
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:25 am

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby ascremer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:53 pm

frogandprince wrote:
ascremer wrote:Jetlag, jetlag, jetlag!
I think im gonna fall asleep. I was looking forward to tonight though! =(

I'm doing the human rights one as public service assignment!
anyone else?

edit: im coming to magnolia, but not eating any cupcakes.


Is the human rights thing basically just going around the neighborhood, asking for signatures? Because that's what it seems like to me.

Id hate to do that, I really want to change my assignment if thats the case!

User avatar
silenziatori
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby silenziatori » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:02 pm

Anybody else in McMahon having trouble accessing Facebook?

frogandprince
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:58 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby frogandprince » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:39 pm

ascremer wrote:
frogandprince wrote:
ascremer wrote:Jetlag, jetlag, jetlag!
I think im gonna fall asleep. I was looking forward to tonight though! =(

I'm doing the human rights one as public service assignment!
anyone else?

edit: im coming to magnolia, but not eating any cupcakes.


Is the human rights thing basically just going around the neighborhood, asking for signatures? Because that's what it seems like to me.

Id hate to do that, I really want to change my assignment if thats the case!


I know what you mean! The first description made it seem like we would be writing letters in the school, but this last email says

" You will learn about an important human rights issue and then go out and go out into the community ant take action!

Wear comfortable clothing, especially shoes, because you’ll be on your feet for a few hours in the community and bring some water.

Look forward to seeing you on Saturday—I hope it will be a good orientation to the surrounding neighborhood and a chance to do some important human rights work. "


which makes it seem like we would be walking around, talking to people on the street about an already prepared letter, and trying to get them to support it.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:23 am

It's done! I just finished my first law school exam! I went back and proof read everything, which I know will be impossible on the ones that are graded, but I'm so glad we'll all get to find out what it's like to write these things from the very beginning... May this be the first of many practice tests to come.

(Speed, particularly in games, was what killed me on the LSAT. Nothing like finishing 3/4 of a section... I'll always wonder what might have been, if I'd been just a little bit faster. I'm sure I'd still be at Fordham, but maybe it wouldn't be quite so expensive. I thought that understanding the material was a substitute for experience in applying it quickly. I'll never make that mistake again.)

See you guys at Magnolia at noon. It's at Columbus and 69th, and they serve fair trade coffee, as well as the best cupcakes in the city. OMG frosting.
Last edited by OperaSoprano on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

revolution724
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:16 am

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby revolution724 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:03 am

I'm planning to come to Magnolia, skipped the bar event in favor of sleep (and not one bit sorry about it, either), and am undecided about the level of review I plan to do for this exam thing. Every 2L I've seen emphatically said not to study for it. Meh.

The closest subway to Shake Shack is at Central Park West and 72nd and it's a B/C stop, incidentally.

I'm doing the same-sex marriage advocacy thing, which sounds like it'll be petitioning in the Bronx. I still sort of wish I was doing the legal observer thing, but moral commitment to a pre-existing pet issue, chance to meet people in OUTLaws, blah blah.

Also, yes on BBQ (assuming they have vegetarian options that are not mushroom options, 'shroom burger notwithstanding), no on bus tour.

Edit: Loan status - it turns out the Rose Hill campus MAILED me a letter (no phone call, no email) saying they need a copy of my Social Security card, presumably because of a name change issue that I told the Law School Financial Aid office about MONTHS AGO, and faxed them copies of every piece of documentation I own. About ready to kill somebody, aye.

User avatar
extremesandwich
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby extremesandwich » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:29 am

revolution724 wrote:I'm planning to come to Magnolia, skipped the bar event in favor of sleep (and not one bit sorry about it, either), and am undecided about the level of review I plan to do for this exam thing. Every 2L I've seen emphatically said not to study for it. Meh.

The closest subway to Shake Shack is at Central Park West and 72nd and it's a B/C stop, incidentally.

I'm doing the same-sex marriage advocacy thing, which sounds like it'll be petitioning in the Bronx. I still sort of wish I was doing the legal observer thing, but moral commitment to a pre-existing pet issue, chance to meet people in OUTLaws, blah blah.

Also, yes on BBQ (assuming they have vegetarian options that are not mushroom options, 'shroom burger notwithstanding), no on bus tour.

Edit: Loan status - it turns out the Rose Hill campus MAILED me a letter (no phone call, no email) saying they need a copy of my Social Security card, presumably because of a name change issue that I told the Law School Financial Aid office about MONTHS AGO, and faxed them copies of every piece of documentation I own. About ready to kill somebody, aye.


I was too tired to come to the thing last night too :( I wanted to though.

I'll try to make it to Magnolia today, but I might be late. We shall see!

Ninja edit: If any of you want to say "hi" to me, I'm the girl with the super tattoo'd back. I'm also always down for drinks.

Good luck on the final to all today! I hear it's impossible to fail, though.

User avatar
silenziatori
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby silenziatori » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:36 am

ascremer wrote:
frogandprince wrote:
ascremer wrote:Jetlag, jetlag, jetlag!
I think im gonna fall asleep. I was looking forward to tonight though! =(

I'm doing the human rights one as public service assignment!
anyone else?

edit: im coming to magnolia, but not eating any cupcakes.


Is the human rights thing basically just going around the neighborhood, asking for signatures? Because that's what it seems like to me.

Id hate to do that, I really want to change my assignment if thats the case!


I think they will be flexible with changing your assignment if you want to.

User avatar
the fledgling
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:57 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby the fledgling » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:40 am

Wow is it hot out. I will be going to Magnolia at noon today. And the bbq too :D

I dropped by the open bar last night and, as has been said, it was super crowded, hot, sticky, and so loud. I am glad I stopped by though, even if it was only briefly. But those who didn't go--you didn't miss anything big.

Good luck on the exam everyone!

User avatar
extremesandwich
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby extremesandwich » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:02 am

Boo, for section 5 it seems like the bookstore listed the wrong edition of the book on the website :( Now I'm going to have to exchange the 4th edition for the 6th.

Woodbane77
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby Woodbane77 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:15 am

Hot, sticky, and crowded as hell are serious understatements. I honestly think it took about 2 hours, before I had some semblance of personal space. Still, I actually had a great time. I met some people from my section and who live in McMahon, and I feel like I got my money's worth from the open bar.

As far as the exam goes: I actually ran into my 2L advisor (the one who took my group on our tour) at the event, and she seemed not only happy but proud that I spent my nights this week drinking instead of studying, so I'm taking that to mean if you paid attention in class and did the reading you will survive (especially considering I think our upperclassmen advisors are the ones who do the grading.)

Edit (my ninja is on vacation): I should make it to Magnolia, though I may be a little late; & facebook isn't available for me either.

User avatar
extremesandwich
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby extremesandwich » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:23 am

Woodbane77 wrote:
Edit (my ninja is on vacation): I should make it to Magnolia, though I may be a little late.


That's what YOU think. There's a reason why they're ninjas.

I don't think I'll make it to Magnolia. :( I wound up having a weird morning with my cat escaping. And, given that I live in Brooklyn, I'd be super late. Plus, now I have to carry a heavy book to return.

I will make it to the BBQ though :) Although I don't know how much I'll be able to eat there as a vegetarian. Definitely no to the bus tour.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:37 am

extremesandwich wrote:
Woodbane77 wrote:
Edit (my ninja is on vacation): I should make it to Magnolia, though I may be a little late.


That's what YOU think. There's a reason why they're ninjas.

I don't think I'll make it to Magnolia. :( I wound up having a weird morning with my cat escaping. And, given that I live in Brooklyn, I'd be super late. Plus, now I have to carry a heavy book to return.

I will make it to the BBQ though :) Although I don't know how much I'll be able to eat there as a vegetarian. Definitely no to the bus tour.


Yay to another vegetarian! That's five confirmed Fordham vegetarians. We should make a supper club! I am a near vegan, but I eat eggs in baked goods sometimes. :D

And, just because my roommate and I were wondering, what's with the ninja thing?

Did you find your cat? I would have a heart attack if Cosette escaped, but she wouldn't survive an hour on the streets of Manhattan. Too pampered, lol.

BTW, Ken wants to sponsor tomorrow night's party, so we've been spreading the word to other TLSers. This means better drinks! I'm going to track down that rose prosecco from Riondo. 67 Wine keeps running out of it!




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests