Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
revolution724

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby revolution724 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:41 am

It's weird to me to see any kind of alcohol in the grocery store. New England has some funky blue laws. You have to go to a wine shop/liquor store up here, even for beer.

So, I have a dumb question for you who are more veteran New Yorkers. I've heard about the empty subway car thing, but just exactly what might have occurred in that mysterious empty car to make people avoid it? Noxious smell/dead body/puke on the floor? It's just that I've never observed the phenomenon on the Boston subway.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:48 am

revolution724 wrote:It's weird to me to see any kind of alcohol in the grocery store. New England has some funky blue laws. You have to go to a wine shop/liquor store up here, even for beer.

So, I have a dumb question for you who are more veteran New Yorkers. I've heard about the empty subway car thing, but just exactly what might have occurred in that mysterious empty car to make people avoid it? Noxious smell/dead body/puke on the floor? It's just that I've never observed the phenomenon on the Boston subway.

Could be any of the above, or it could be someone scary hanging out/sleeping/harassing patrons. In my experience it's usually this, or the puke.

Sorry for the great imagery.

Carry on.

(god I love the people in my class. It actually really sucks that we'll all have to compete with each other. The whole "only 10% of the class can be in the top 10%" maxim takes on new meaning when you've actually met your classmates.)

palmettoru

Postby palmettoru » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:02 am

Did anyone else immediately think of Harvest, Greed, and Limelight when the dean mentioned the film festival?

As a late wait-list admit, it's hard to believe that the LSAT days are over and that we are finally starting law school now!

palmettoru

Postby palmettoru » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:34 am

having trouble pulling up the admitted students website, anyone else?

alix

Postby alix » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:35 am

Hi everyone! I've posted on this site a couple times and I'm going to Fordham...Section 6.

I was wondering if anyone bought that Legal Process book yet or started the assignments. Apparently no Barnes and Noble's or Borders carries it, so I'm going to have to wait til Sunday to buy the book.

I can't believe orientation is in less than a week! I'm excited and nervous!

frogandprince

Postby frogandprince » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:02 am

revolution724 wrote:It's weird to me to see any kind of alcohol in the grocery store. New England has some funky blue laws. You have to go to a wine shop/liquor store up here, even for beer.

Usually has to do with an awful smell, be it from a person or...er...person-by product, haha.

extremesandwich

Postby extremesandwich » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:04 am

OperaSoprano wrote:

Could be any of the above, or it could be someone scary hanging out/sleeping/harassing patrons. In my experience it's usually this, or the puke.

Sorry for the great imagery.

Carry on.

(god I love the people in my class. It actually really sucks that we'll all have to compete with each other. The whole "only 10% of the class can be in the top 10%" maxim takes on new meaning when you've actually met your classmates.)

If it's on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night it's most likely something related to alcohol.

I do miss liquor in grocery stores :( Having gone to University of Michigan, one of the ways everyone got alcohol was by going to Kroger or another grocery store. Particularly in the pre-21 days.

ascremer

Postby ascremer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:39 pm

alix wrote:Hi everyone! I've posted on this site a couple times and I'm going to Fordham...Section 6.

I was wondering if anyone bought that Legal Process book yet or started the assignments. Apparently no Barnes and Noble's or Borders carries it, so I'm going to have to wait til Sunday to buy the book.

i bought it from lexisnexis for 45 and read half of it already

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:44 pm

ascremer wrote:
alix wrote:Hi everyone! I've posted on this site a couple times and I'm going to Fordham...Section 6.

It's thrilling, isn't it? I will now be getting off TLS and finishing my reading. :D

sentinal5656

Postby sentinal5656 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:23 pm

I am finally home and now I will begin to read that criminal law book. I am sooo behind and school didn't even start. How is that possible? lol

extremesandwich

Postby extremesandwich » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:33 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:I am finally home and now I will begin to read that criminal law book. I am sooo behind and school didn't even start. How is that possible? lol

Do we have reading in the criminal law book already?

alix

Postby alix » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:58 pm

ascremer wrote:

I'm getting it tomorrow. How is it so far??

mountain

Postby mountain » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi, I'm in section one. Thanks for all the great advice!
Has anyone been able to acces the syllabus for any courses other then legal process?

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:25 pm

extremesandwich wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:I am finally home and now I will begin to read that criminal law book. I am sooo behind and school didn't even start. How is that possible? lol

Do we have reading in the criminal law book already?

I think sentinal meant Case of a Lifetime. We'll all probably have reading that needs to get done for the first day of class for each of our classes.

jrock12

Postby jrock12 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:27 pm

alix wrote:
ascremer wrote:

I'm getting it tomorrow. How is it so far??

fyi, there is a syllabus for this book on the ASW

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:31 pm

I'm jealous of all you who have your Grad Plus loans confirmed. Mine are still MIA :(

Useful news: Barnes & Nobel.com is now offering all textbooks (except for one pesky legal writing book, grr) at the membership price. That's about a 15% discount (possibly more if you base it off Fordham's prices). I managed to snag a new Kadish Crim Law book for $106. Fordham's charging $115 for used. So check it out, you might get a deal.

And just for kicks:
- This may seem meh to some, but I love, love NY Mag's restaurant section. You can find nearly any restaurant online by neighborhood, price, cuisine, critic's choice, etc. I also tend to cross check it with Yelp.
- Coming from school in Boston, I really don't mind that grocer's only carry beer here. Besides, most NY grocers carry way more than the average grocer (I can buy pocky in my local market. pocky!), so that makes up for it IMO.
- Make note of where the express trains stop. For example, the A train goes from 59th to 112th, which royally sucks if you want to get off at say 72nd.
- Echoing the sentiment re: empty subway cars, but to add to the reasons why: once I was told that that one and only car was out of service. As in it was being left behind in the station. So, yeah, don't get in the empty car.

EDIT: one more: if a restaurant's empty, it's probably (not always, but probably) pretty awful/unnecessarily expensive.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:50 pm

the fledgling wrote:I'm jealous of all you who have your Grad Plus loans confirmed. Mine are still MIA :(

MINE TOO. It's driving me bonkers. I blame my parents' taxes.

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:54 pm

revolution724 wrote:
the fledgling wrote:I'm jealous of all you who have your Grad Plus loans confirmed. Mine are still MIA :(

Where the F are my loans!?

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:55 pm

silenziatori wrote:
revolution724 wrote:

...waiiit, maybe they're doing the PT people's loans first?

jrock12

Postby jrock12 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:59 pm

i just dont think they've updated the my.fordham $ #s at all...

i actually sent them a check, which they already cashed, and my.fordham is not updated with the $ i sent...

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:00 pm

jrock12 wrote:i just dont think they've updated the my.fordham $ #s at all...

i actually sent them a check, which they already cashed, and my.fordham is not updated with the $ i sent...

I want to call them, but I'm afraid I've already been a horrible nudge. The only answers I seem to be getting out of any department at Fordham lately are "don't worry about it, we'll tell you if there's a problem". Not particularly reassuring or productive.

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:02 pm

revolution724 wrote:
silenziatori wrote:
revolution724 wrote:

...waiiit, maybe they're doing the PT people's loans first?

That actually makes sense... so I'm going with it (to ease my mind). I think I'll check with HESC in a bit.

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:05 pm

the fledgling wrote:
That actually makes sense... so I'm going with it (to ease my mind). I think I'll check with HESC in a bit.

Doing that right now.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:06 pm

silenziatori wrote:
the fledgling wrote:

Doing that right now.

That's a good point, it's more anonymous somehow than pestering Financial Aid.

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:09 pm

revolution724 wrote:
silenziatori wrote:
the fledgling wrote:

Doing that right now.

That's a good point, it's more anonymous somehow than pestering Financial Aid.

Taking a long time to get a hold of someone. Guessing since its loan freakout season.

EDIT TO ADD:

2000 posts!!!!!!!! :o

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”