Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
OperaSoprano

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:04 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:Have fun tomorrow PTers!!!!!!!

<3 <3 <3

To my classmates of the evening:

Happy 1L Conversion!

(This phrase belongs to my LS mentor, Observationalist of Vandy. I stole it.)

I love you guys, and wish you nothing but joy this year.

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:36 pm

I hope all you PTers have a wonderful time tomorrow!

Of note to Section 5: I dropped by the B&N on 18th St. and 5th Ave., and unfortunately they do not have used or less expensive new books available for at least three of our classes. I checked for Crim Law, Property, and Contracts--Legal Writing was left out because of the lack of professor (and it was Sunday morning and I was lazy :oops:).

ascremer

Postby ascremer » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:03 pm

i dont know if this was posted here before but i found the documentary "the Plea" on the internet and chapter 4 is about Kelly's story. (case of a lifetime)
it may be helpful to have a face for the characters in the book!
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... /4_hi.html

also, for section 3; the syllabus for property is up!

silliebean

Postby silliebean » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:35 pm

where are you finding the syllabi?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:43 pm

PT kids: is everyone printing out the handouts for class? My printer is being evil, so I'm just reading everything online. Do people always bring all their reading materials to class? I never really did in UG, so my apologies if this is a stupid question. I might just run out and buy a cheap printer.
Last edited by OperaSoprano on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ascremer

Postby ascremer » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:02 pm

silliebean wrote:where are you finding the syllabi?

my fordham, blackboard.

i just finished watching the documentary "The Plea", the one Abbe Smith mentions several times in her book and I am really horrified by the responsibility criminal lawyers take on especially in cases like Kelly's and by the defects and inefficiency of the US legal system.
:cry:

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:51 am

What we're shooting for:

I just found these. Set your goals, people!

Summa Cum Laude - 3.988 (two people got this)
Magna Cum Laude, or Top 10% - 3.619
Cum Laude, or Top 15% - 3.479

Order of the Coif also requires top 10%.

These are the latest available numbers, courtesy of the NALP directory.

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:13 am

OperaSoprano wrote:What we're shooting for:

Personally, I'm gunning for the 4.33.

I wish you all in the evening division a great first night of orientation.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:23 am

silenziatori wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:What we're shooting for:

Personally, I'm gunning for the 4.33.

I wish you all in the evening division a great first night of orientation.

Gunner!

I think I'd be satisfied with a 3.988. :wink:

Thanks for the well-wishes, Silenz. I hope we'll actually get to hang out soon.

greatwhiteway

Postby greatwhiteway » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:10 am

the fledgling wrote:I hope all you PTers have a wonderful time tomorrow!

Of note to Section 5: I dropped by the B&N on 18th St. and 5th Ave., and unfortunately they do not have used or less expensive new books available for at least three of our classes. I checked for Crim Law, Property, and Contracts--Legal Writing was left out because of the lack of professor (and it was Sunday morning and I was lazy :oops:).

Bought Property from Amazon for $92ish+ tax. Every little bit helps! :D

And best of luck to the PT foks!

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:20 am

Good luck tonight, PT people!

I finally found an apartment, so I will be packing feverishly.

extremesandwich

Postby extremesandwich » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:50 am

Just a tip, on the admitted student website it now gives a guide to figuring out your section. It just confirmed mine, so I think our original way of finding out, while different than suggested, is still correct.

Good luck tonight for the p/t people!

ascremer

Postby ascremer » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:58 am

extremesandwich wrote:Just a tip, on the admitted student website it now gives a guide to figuring out your section. It just confirmed mine, so I think our original way of finding out, while different than suggested, is still correct.

mine says im not assigned to a section =(

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:07 am

greatwhiteway wrote:
the fledgling wrote:I hope all you PTers have a wonderful time tomorrow!

Bought Property from Amazon for $92ish+ tax. Every little bit helps! :D

And best of luck to the PT foks!

So lawbooksforless.com allows you to rent casebooks for half the list price. That means you're likely paying around or below $ 80 for the use of a casebook for the semester. Supposedly they have policies about highlighting and note writing in the books, which you have to agree to when you rent them. You return the casebooks almost immediately after the end of the semester. If you can stand not writing or highlighting in a casebook, and you're going to sell it anyways, it may be less hassle to just rent it. Then again, you could always sell your very good condition casebook, and end up not having spent as much money to merely rent it. Just another option for everyone to consider.

extremesandwich

Postby extremesandwich » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:11 am

ascremer wrote:
extremesandwich wrote:Just a tip, on the admitted student website it now gives a guide to figuring out your section. It just confirmed mine, so I think our original way of finding out, while different than suggested, is still correct.

Really? Mine linked to this PDF: --LinkRemoved--

Does it still not list a number next to your class?

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:22 am

ascremer wrote:

The admitted students website now only provides instructions on how to find out your section on my.fordham.edu., which we had already figured out (thanks to ag123!). Maybe you checked it before it was updated? Have you tried logging into it again this morning?

Rachyk

Postby Rachyk » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:38 am

What is everyone bringing with them to the orientation tonight? I am soo excited!!

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:44 am

Rachyk: I'm bringing a spiral notebook, and a printout of the Garratt case. I'll bring my laptop tomorrow.

Silenz: I sent you a PM. I have problems! I have no freaking idea what the credited response is.

Everyone: The party date is set for next Friday, the 21st. Details to follow.

Fellow PTers: I'll see you tonight!

<3

bonnieblue

Postby bonnieblue » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:59 am

I'm thinking of applying to the upcoming PT class, what are the schedules like for the night classes?

ascremer

Postby ascremer » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:31 pm

silenziatori wrote:
ascremer wrote:

The admitted students website now only provides instructions on how to find out your section on my.fordham.edu., which we had already figured out (thanks to ag123!). Maybe you checked it before it was updated? Have you tried logging into it again this morning?

i had already found out my section through my fordham, its the admitted students webpage that didnt show my section when I tried today in the morning and it asked me to provide my LSAC number and gave the message "no section assigned yet"
but i tried it again now and it finally directs me to the pdf file.
from where i am there is 7 hours difference with the east coast so im guessing most of the time im probably going on webpages before they update them
thank you!

jewelta

Postby jewelta » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:28 pm

Hey everyone. A couple of things I was wondering about:

1. Everyone keeps talking about finding out their section. When I looked up my classes, it seems that I'm assigned a different section in each. Just wanted to confirm this is the case with other people, and I'm not misunderstanding something.

2. Has anyone gotten outlines for the upcoming semester's classes? Are you getting them from former students, off the web? What's the best way to go about it?

See you all next Monday.

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:35 pm

silenziatori wrote:So lawbooksforless.com allows you to rent casebooks for half the list price. That means you're likely paying around or below $ 80 for the use of a casebook for the semester. Supposedly they have policies about highlighting and note writing in the books, which you have to agree to when you rent them. You return the casebooks almost immediately after the end of the semester. If you can stand not writing or highlighting in a casebook, and you're going to sell it anyways, it may be less hassle to just rent it. Then again, you could always sell your very good condition casebook, and end up not having spent as much money to merely rent it. Just another option for everyone to consider.

Interesting... I didn't know such a thing existed. I do like to occasionally highlight and notetake, but I'm not extreme by any means. I wonder if their no highlighting/note-taking policy is all or nothing.

On another note, I went to Fordham's bookstore today. There's only one used book for Section 5's Property and it's previous owner was a note-taking lover with really, really bad handwriting. I passed. A bunch of used books were available for Contracts, but all were overly highlighted and a couple used that 5-color highlighting technique (distracting IMO). I found a newer version online (B&N) for like $10 more than Fordham's used, so will spring for that unless I find better. I bought the Dressler book and keyed-to-Dressler recommended book for Crim Law (note--the keyed-to-Dressler is a Wolters Kluwer/Aspen Publisher's book--different keyed-to-Dressler books showed up when I searched them online). I'm still looking around for Kadish (didn't see any used).

Have fun tonight PTers!

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:21 pm

jewelta wrote:Hey everyone. A couple of things I was wondering about:

1. Everyone keeps talking about finding out their section. When I looked up my classes, it seems that I'm assigned a different section in each. Just wanted to confirm this is the case with other people, and I'm not misunderstanding something.

2. Has anyone gotten outlines for the upcoming semester's classes? Are you getting them from former students, off the web? What's the best way to go about it?

See you all next Monday.

Hey jewelta,

The section number is right next to the course name, not the number all the way at the end. There will only be one course that has one section number next to its name, since the others either combine two sections or are a subsection of your actual section (for legal writing); the number next to that course's name is your section number. They didn't really make that clear in their instructions. I think there are instructions on how to find your section a different way on page 56 or 57 of this thread.

I haven't gotten any outlines yet, but I'm sure current students would be cool about sharing them.

See ya!

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:23 pm

bonnieblue wrote:I'm thinking of applying to the upcoming PT class, what are the schedules like for the night classes?

I think someone posted their PT schedule somewhere between pages 56-60 of this thread.

bonnieblue

Postby bonnieblue » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:42 pm

gracias

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”