Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
geoanthem

Bronze

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Post by geoanthem » Wed May 06, 2009 11:33 am

Gavin, did seeing Michael Clayton convince you to go to Fordham?

gavinxdorian

New

Post by gavinxdorian » Wed May 06, 2009 12:04 pm

Durrrr....No.

Michael Clayton is sort of an anti-hero. He's a "fixer." He's the legal equivalent of Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction. Basically, he's used his Fordham degree to establish a career as the guy EXTREMELY rich people go to in order to make their serious problems go away. Yes, over the course of the film, his character has a crisis of conscience and winds up doing the Right Thing (I'll not say more than that to avoid spoilers), but he is in no means treated as a Great Person who has Done Great Things with his Fordham J.D.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Wed May 06, 2009 12:05 pm

I've seen most of it. I was kinda joking...

gavinxdorian

New

Post by gavinxdorian » Wed May 06, 2009 12:07 pm

*sigh*

One of the many examples of sarcasm being impossible to express over the internet without explicitly phrasing it as such.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Wed May 06, 2009 12:20 pm

gavinxdorian wrote:*sigh*

One of the many examples of sarcasm being impossible to express over the internet without explicitly phrasing it as such.
No problems, though I still think you should come here, but obviously for other reasons than Michael Clayton

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gavinxdorian

New

Post by gavinxdorian » Wed May 06, 2009 12:29 pm

I'm actually still leaning toward Fordham...

Even though it's $50,000 more expensive than BU, I don't want to wind up working in Boston. While BU really does seem to have excellent big law firm placement in NY, I doubt the prospects for Government/ADA's Office/USAO/Public Interest in NYC are anywhere near as strong coming from BU as they are from Fordham...

If anyone thinks I'm wrong, feel free to chime in, as I'm still really struggling with this decision...

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Wed May 06, 2009 12:30 pm

gavinxdorian wrote:I'm actually still leaning toward Fordham...

Even though it's $50,000 more expensive than BU, I don't want to wind up working in Boston. While BU really does seem to have excellent big law firm placement in NY, I doubt the prospects for Government/ADA's Office/USAO/Public Interest in NYC are anywhere near as strong coming from BU as they are from Fordham...

If anyone thinks I'm wrong, feel free to chime in, as I'm still really struggling with this decision...
I think going to a regional school in a region you don't want to work in is a bad decision.

gavinxdorian

New

Post by gavinxdorian » Wed May 06, 2009 12:44 pm

nitsudrx wrote:I think going to a regional school in a region you don't want to work in is a bad decision.
Even if it means I have an extra 50 grand in debt?

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Wed May 06, 2009 1:11 pm

Since it seems you're seriously committed to government/PI work, you may want to look into how the $ 50,000 difference will affect your monthly payments under the new Income Based Repayment program and the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, if you haven't done so already.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lateinthegame

New

Post by Lateinthegame » Wed May 06, 2009 1:36 pm

So i havent been paying attention to the conversations going on above.

But has anybody gotten anything from Fordham since they sent in their seat deposits? They are completely incommunicado...

When do we start getting more info from them? Or am I the only person who hasnt gotten a single thin since they sent that defunct booklet with the admissions letter.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Wed May 06, 2009 1:38 pm

Lateinthegame wrote:So i havent been paying attention to the conversations going on above.

But has anybody gotten anything from Fordham since they sent in their seat deposits? They are completely incommunicado...

When do we start getting more info from them? Or am I the only person who hasnt gotten a single thin since they sent that defunct booklet with the admissions letter.
Nope, its not just you. They haven't even cashed my deposit check yet :?

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:47 pm

yea this whole 'not cashing the check' thing is really starting to bother me...as if i haven't said it enough times

for those who gave their credit card # to pay it, did it hit up on your statement yet?
and to do this, did you simply call the admissions office and give them the info?

Lateinthegame

New

Post by Lateinthegame » Wed May 06, 2009 1:58 pm

jrock12 wrote:yea this whole 'not cashing the check' thing is really starting to bother me...as if i haven't said it enough times

for those who gave their credit card # to pay it, did it hit up on your statement yet?
and to do this, did you simply call the admissions office and give them the info?

I dont believe it hit my credit card yet. When i called to deposit, they transferred me to the registrar & payment office or something. They took down my cc info and siad it would take a little bit for it to register. But honestly, is there a reason they keep us all in the dark? How about fostering some sense of excitement among your incoming class instead??

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Wed May 06, 2009 1:59 pm

Lateinthegame wrote:
jrock12 wrote:yea this whole 'not cashing the check' thing is really starting to bother me...as if i haven't said it enough times

I dont believe it hit my credit card yet. When i called to deposit, they transferred me to the registrar & payment office or something. They took down my cc info and siad it would take a little bit for it to register. But honestly, is there a reason they keep us all in the dark? How about fostering some sense of excitement among your incoming class instead??
I just hate having to keep checking my statement to make sure I don't overdraw on the off chance they decided to cash my check...

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Wed May 06, 2009 2:02 pm

i used my debit card, they still haven't processed it. which sucked because i thought they would have, and was just thinking, after i got my end of month direct deposit that "o this is how much money i have for the month". nope i have 400 dollars less than that...

CHECKING BALANCE FAIL, on my part, of course, but still, after like 3 weeks it's easy to forget that i still technically 'need to pay' it.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:19 pm

Lateinthegame wrote:

It hasn't hit my credit card yet either. Gah! Just process it already! It's actually my debit card, and I'd like to see a more accurate picture of my finances when I look at my bank statement. Hnnnngh.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:28 pm

ahhhhhhhhh
thanks guys...you all echo my frustration

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Wed May 06, 2009 2:30 pm

i called to make sure it was not an issue that i hadn't been charged yet....and they were like, not at all, it's because they are switching to a new payment system for the people who paid by debit credit, apparently...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed May 06, 2009 2:46 pm

I'm freaking about this! I just delivered my check in person on Monday, and I want to know my seat is safe!

I also can't wait for that binder! I just want to get physical, printed notification that I am really in... And no, printing the email does not count.

Earlier admits: how long did the letter and/or binder take to arrive?

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Wed May 06, 2009 3:01 pm

I got the letter about 6 weeks after getting the email, and I got the binder about 5 months after getting the email.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed May 06, 2009 3:17 pm

silenziatori wrote:I got the letter about 6 weeks after getting the email, and I got the binder about 5 months after getting the email.
I will go out of my mind if this happens to me. Will they think I am crazy if I return to the admissions office in an attempt to collect these items? The dean said my binder was in the mail, but I am experiencing a very large patience fail.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Wed May 06, 2009 3:18 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
silenziatori wrote:I got the letter about 6 weeks after getting the email, and I got the binder about 5 months after getting the email.
I will go out of my mind if this happens to me. Will they think I am crazy if I return to the admissions office in an attempt to collect these items? The dean said my binder was in the mail, but I am experiencing a very large patience fail.
count on it. i got in mid feb (?). in any case a while ago. and haven't received the binder, or any word about the finaid package yet either.

cmonnn fordham.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed May 06, 2009 3:24 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
count on it. i got in mid feb (?). in any case a while ago. and haven't received the binder, or any word about the finaid package yet either.

cmonnn fordham.
Did you fill out Fordham's supplemental finaid form as soon as you got in? I am working on mine now.

As for the binder... you have no idea how badly I want that thing. I hope it actually arrives before orientation! My mom will be here in June, and she wants to see all my Fordham information... which I don't have.

Just to clarify about orientation: It is August 10th for part time students?

Thanks so much!

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Wed May 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Opera, I got my binder like a week to ten days after I got in, but it was sent to my permanent address in Boston not my address in NYC.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed May 06, 2009 3:28 pm

geoanthem wrote:Opera, I got my binder like a week to ten days after I got in, but it was sent to my permanent address in Boston not my address in NYC.
I will seriously be asking my mom to fedex it to me overnight if that happens! When is our orientation, though, and when do classes actually begin? I am still dancing on clouds over this, btw. I don't think I've ever been this happy... about anything!
Last edited by OperaSoprano on Wed May 06, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”