Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
ascremer

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Postby ascremer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:21 am

jdny09 wrote:
the fledgling wrote:To echo silenziatori and OS (because I forgot earlier), congrats on the clerkship and good luck on the bar!

I would also be interested in a pm with the professors you recommend, and would it be alright if I pm'd you about your clinic experience?

For the thread: I'm also interested in hearing any advice you have on balancing law school and life. I know, this is a broad question, but you've done very well for yourself and seem happy with your law school experience, so your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again :D

Sure, feel free to PM me with any questions. As for work life balance, I found it suprisingly easy. 1L year is a lot of work, but it's manageable. You have plenty of time to piece it all together at the end of the semester, so I didn't find a need to go full steam all the time. Things get stressful when the short and long memos are due in fall, and when your brief is due in spring, but other than that you really do have a lot of free time, especially as you begin to get used to reading cases. I mean, the usual reading assignment is 15-30 pages. If you have 2 classes to read for, you're looking at no more than 3-4 hours max of work after you get the hang of things. And some days you'll only have 1 class. So, I found there to be plenty of time to work hard, keep a life outside of school, and also do some pulic interest org activities.

On the whole, I was able to have a lot of free time thursday-sunday, with plenty of time do things, visit friends in other cities, etc. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be, It's just important to do what you feel you need to do to keep up, and to not focus on what everyone else is doing. It's a marathon and not a sprint. You have good days, and days where you can't focus -- you just have to get a feel for when you should stick with it and when your time is better spent going to dinner with friends or seeing a movie. There were a few people in my section who, I swear, sat in the library all day and must have literally retyped half their casebook into a word doc. If you are putting page-long block quotes from Marbury v. Madison into your 225+ page con law outline, you probably need to reevaluate your study routine.

This post made my day, or maybe even my next month before fordham begins!
ive been exaggerating the workload in my mind i guess
thanks a lot!!!

sentinal5656

Postby sentinal5656 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:27 am

jdny09 wrote:
I'll PM you with some profs. There's no GPA requirement to sign up at OCI. Also, there are many non-biglaw firms that come, so if you're interested in NJ, Conn., PA, etc you will get a lot more leeway with GPA. Unless it's changed, it's a 60/40 system where firms pick 60% of the students on their schedule and the other 40% are picked by rank in the lottery.

Many profs were more than happy to give advice outside of the class, particularly the adjuncts. It's not like they're teaching night classes for the $$$, so they tend to be people who are experts in their field and are genuinely interested in staying up to date and teaching law students about it. Many felt that their specialty area didn't get enough attention when they were in law school, and so they're eager to try to get you interested in doing their kind of work. Another good thing is that every 1L prof gets a budget to take students out to lunch, and most do take a group of 3 or 4 out often during the semester.

Hi, Jdny. Thanks for the helpful information. I am actually interested in possibly working in jersey upon graduation. How are the firms there? Are there any big law firms located in jersey? How much GPA leeway do you actually get? I am interested in IP - Patents, fyi. Any information would be great. Thanks!

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:56 am

Great stuff JDNY! Its good to see some positive about Fordham.

jdny09

Postby jdny09 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:21 am

sentinal5656 wrote:
jdny09 wrote:
I'll PM you with some profs. There's no GPA requirement to sign up at OCI. Also, there are many non-biglaw firms that come, so if you're interested in NJ, Conn., PA, etc you will get a lot more leeway with GPA. Unless it's changed, it's a 60/40 system where firms pick 60% of the students on their schedule and the other 40% are picked by rank in the lottery.

Many profs were more than happy to give advice outside of the class, particularly the adjuncts. It's not like they're teaching night classes for the $$$, so they tend to be people who are experts in their field and are genuinely interested in staying up to date and teaching law students about it. Many felt that their specialty area didn't get enough attention when they were in law school, and so they're eager to try to get you interested in doing their kind of work. Another good thing is that every 1L prof gets a budget to take students out to lunch, and most do take a group of 3 or 4 out often during the semester.

Hi, Jdny. Thanks for the helpful information. I am actually interested in possibly working in jersey upon graduation. How are the firms there? Are there any big law firms located in jersey? How much GPA leeway do you actually get? I am interested in IP - Patents, fyi. Any information would be great. Thanks!

Very possible from Fordham. A lot of people focused on Jersey come here, and a lot of firms recruit. The firms that come to mind are Lowenstein Sandler, McCarter English and Riker Danzig. There are many more, including Newark offices of big law firms. Philly and Ct are also popular.

Conventional wisdom back in Fall '07 was 3.3 would give you a solid shot at V100, and 3.25 or so would put you in the running for something BIGLAW or comprable salary. I think NJ was willing to take significantly less given compelling ties or interest in working there. I think the Jersey firms pay a bit less, maybe in the $100k-$120k range, but I'd have to check. Anyways, I'm not sure I can be more detailled than that in terms of how low they'd actually go, but I'd think median standing w/ ties would give you a decent shot, even with this economy.

pammy1985

Postby pammy1985 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:32 am

Hi jdny! So nice of you to answer our questions! Thanks a bunch! I will be going PT at Fordham and working full time from 9:30-5:30. Did you know anyone who did this or something similar? Did they manage to get good grades?

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:40 am

so i think i'm going to call up and officially withdraw today. tough decision, as another year of this application process may kill me, but i guess i've made up my mind :?

just wanted to wish everyone the BEST of luck; i'm sure you're all going to crush it over there on the UWS.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:21 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:so i think i'm going to call up and officially withdraw today. tough decision, as another year of this application process may kill me, but i guess i've made up my mind :?

just wanted to wish everyone the BEST of luck; i'm sure you're all going to crush it over there on the UWS.

Cake, we'll miss you! I don't envy you another cycle; it's why I didn't retake. Death by firing squad >>> doing this again. I think you have the numbers and the story to pull it off, though, and I want you to go somewhere that will make you happy.

<3 OS

amyraydun

Postby amyraydun » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:18 pm

I'm in! I'll be joining y'all in the fall.
Now for reading through pages and pages of this thread....

Hurray!

jrock12

Postby jrock12 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:19 pm

saw all of the posts on the taking forever to reply thread...

CONGRATS TO ALL OF THE NEW ADMITS

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:22 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:so i think i'm going to call up and officially withdraw today. tough decision, as another year of this application process may kill me, but i guess i've made up my mind :?

Good luck, /cake!

jdny09

Postby jdny09 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:41 pm

pammy1985 wrote:Hi jdny! So nice of you to answer our questions! Thanks a bunch! I will be going PT at Fordham and working full time from 9:30-5:30. Did you know anyone who did this or something similar? Did they manage to get good grades?

I know a couple of folks who are still in PT, though a year behind me. Both are happy and still working full time, but I don't know too much about their grades or where exactly they're going to work when they graduate. I unfortunately don't have much more information than that, but I definitely don't think going PT through all of law school hurts you. They do a decent job cycling the profs of the most popular classes (evidence, corporations, crim pro, etc) so that PT students get exactly the same course selection as those going FT. Plus, I think some of the best profs are the adjuncts, who generally work during the day and teach a class one night a week or so.

Ris84

Postby Ris84 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:14 am

Admitted yesterday and can't wait to meet everyone next month. What a great thread with tons of useful information.

Thanks for the well wishes jrock!

ManhattanWombat

Postby ManhattanWombat » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:21 am

Welcome amyraydun and Ris84!!!

pammy1985

Postby pammy1985 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:22 pm

CONGRATS to amy and ris!!!! Welcome!!!

VictoryFord

Postby VictoryFord » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:38 pm

this is my third "class of 2012" thread. As of right now I will be attending Fordham, but this has been such rollercoaster ride that I don't really know where I will end up come August. The shitty part is I just sent in all my financial aid/transcripts/mmunization/dean certs/etc. to another school and now i have to do it again. worth it i suppose :)

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Congratulations to all of the new admits!

Not to change the subject, but I spoke to an IT person at Fordham today and thought mac users would appreciate this info:

We do not have to install Windows ( :D ). Fordham's systems are compatible with Mac OS X.

We do have to install two programs (Citrix and Norton Antivirus) in order to become fully compatible with the network and use the exam software, both of which will be happily provided to us by the University for free ( :mrgreen: ).

VictoryFord

Postby VictoryFord » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

cool. i just picked up a macbook a few days ago and was wondering about this.

silliebean

Postby silliebean » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:45 pm

Got my fall bill in the mail today! :shock: Just curious if others who have partial scholarships had their scholarship factored into their bill. Mine takes into account my loan, but not the scholarship. I'm going to call tomorrow, but just wanted to see anyway. Thanks!

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:02 pm

silliebean wrote:Got my fall bill in the mail today! :shock: Just curious if others who have partial scholarships had their scholarship factored into their bill. Mine takes into account my loan, but not the scholarship. I'm going to call tomorrow, but just wanted to see anyway. Thanks!

Yep, got mine too. It takes into account my grant, and my Fordham loan, but not the Stafford or GradPLUS (presumably because I haven't applied for them yet). Hoping the due amount won't be an issue since I am going to get Stafford and GradPLUS loans...

silliebean

Postby silliebean » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:17 pm

silenziatori wrote:
silliebean wrote:Got my fall bill in the mail today! :shock: Just curious if others who have partial scholarships had their scholarship factored into their bill. Mine takes into account my loan, but not the scholarship. I'm going to call tomorrow, but just wanted to see anyway. Thanks!

Yep, got mine too. It takes into account my grant, and my Fordham loan, but not the Stafford or GradPLUS (presumably because I haven't applied for them yet). Hoping the due amount won't be an issue since I am going to get Stafford and GradPLUS loans...

I'm sure that won't be a problem. my stafford is on there, but I already applied and signed my master promissory note 2 weeks ago. When you do it, it will probably just tack itself on. I'm curious what my merit-based aid isn't there though. I guess I'll just call tomorrow!

amyraydun

Postby amyraydun » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:22 pm

VictoryFord wrote:this is my third "class of 2012" thread. As of right now I will be attending Fordham, but this has been such rollercoaster ride that I don't really know where I will end up come August. The shitty part is I just sent in all my financial aid/transcripts/mmunization/dean certs/etc. to another school and now i have to do it again. worth it i suppose :)

Me too, but totally worth it.

amyraydun

Postby amyraydun » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:23 pm

the fledgling wrote:Congratulations to all of the new admits!

Not to change the subject, but I spoke to an IT person at Fordham today and thought mac users would appreciate this info:

We do not have to install Windows ( :D ). Fordham's systems are compatible with Mac OS X.

We do have to install two programs (Citrix and Norton Antivirus) in order to become fully compatible with the network and use the exam software, both of which will be happily provided to us by the University for free ( :mrgreen: ).

This is GREAT Excellent news. Mac usr4lif. :lol:

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:39 pm

Finally finished my loan applications.

New admits, have you joined Fordham on the TLS Class of 2012 thread? If not, I encourage you to do so.

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:56 pm

Something tells me their going to be inundated with calls tomorrow... I'll still be calling though since my Grad Plus didn't show up. Should be an easy fix (knock on wood).

And I'll head over to the TLS Class of 2012 thread. Finally in the Facebook group by the way.

silenziatori

Postby silenziatori » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:00 pm

No one saw that....good.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”