Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
ascremer

Bronze

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Post by ascremer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:59 pm

pammy1985 wrote:
ZXCVBNM wrote:withdrew today from gulc wl! felt great!!!! can't wait for school in august!
Me toooooo!!!! I'm so excited! I just got Getting to Maybe and I've never been happier reading a boring book! :D
i finished getting to maybe and now im even more excited for the intro to the study of law book :?
happy to be reading a probably more boring book than the first one

ascremer

Bronze

Post by ascremer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:02 pm

geoanthem wrote:
ZXCVBNM wrote:thanks, there is another book they are mailing us right? we have to read that before orientation too?
I believe the intro to study of law is not required to be read before classes start. my understanding it was for legal process or whatever, while the book they send us is meant to be read before classes.
really?????
im in europe and wont be back till one day before orientation and im making my friends bf carry(!?) it from new jersey till here so i can finish it on time. if youre sure thats the case then im gonna keep the book in ny and bring three extra shirts or a pair of shoes in the same space ?!?!

ascremer

Bronze

Post by ascremer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:13 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:goddamnit, I'm glad I waited to buy that book. Procrastination FTW. I miss you guys, though. We seriously need to figure out this bar night thing. Booyakasha has also volunteered to plan an August mixer for us, them, and the NYU kids. She claims we won't all want to kill each other. :lol: I told her I'd be down. Peaceful imbibing works for me.
who exactly is NYU kids?
I feel like im not writing enough on this board, especially because im 7 hours ahead and because i dont really know anyone but the TLS nicknames. another reason i wish i were in the city!

=(

ascremer

Bronze

Post by ascremer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:17 pm

silenziatori wrote:
the fledgling wrote:I walked over to the bookstore on my lunch hour and bought a copy of Introduction to the Study of Law Cases and Materials, 3rd Edition (Pammy, you *do* have the right book). Same exact price as Lexis ($45) but without shipping and handling, and I suppose tax was already included.
Is the bookstore nice? I've never been.

I'm getting hyped for school. Look forward to meeting all y'all.
i went there twice and both times it was closed, after NYU's bookstore experience, fordham bookstore friday 3pm closings annoyed me!!!
i sent my friend (who goes to NYIC a block away) to get me my fordham law t-shirt and sweatshirt :oops:

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:38 pm

ascremer wrote:
geoanthem wrote:
ZXCVBNM wrote:thanks, there is another book they are mailing us right? we have to read that before orientation too?
I believe the intro to study of law is not required to be read before classes start. my understanding it was for legal process or whatever, while the book they send us is meant to be read before classes.
really?????
im in europe and wont be back till one day before orientation and im making my friends bf carry(!?) it from new jersey till here so i can finish it on time. if youre sure thats the case then im gonna keep the book in ny and bring three extra shirts or a pair of shoes in the same space ?!?!
According to the ASW, we'll have to complete the reading assignments for Intro to the Study of Law Case and Materials in August. The Legal Process syllabus should be posted by the end of this month, so reading now could be helpful but you don't *have* to. Fordham will send us Case of a Lifetime by the end of July and we have to finish reading it before Orientation.

I'm still working through Getting to Maybe and I have another couple of law books laying around that I might get to. It was free book day in the office today though, so when I get those five novels I might rearrange my reading list a bit. I would really like to read at least one non-law book in the next month and half...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:31 pm

ascremer wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:goddamnit, I'm glad I waited to buy that book. Procrastination FTW. I miss you guys, though. We seriously need to figure out this bar night thing. Booyakasha has also volunteered to plan an August mixer for us, them, and the NYU kids. She claims we won't all want to kill each other. :lol: I told her I'd be down. Peaceful imbibing works for me.
who exactly is NYU kids?
I feel like im not writing enough on this board, especially because im 7 hours ahead and because i dont really know anyone but the TLS nicknames. another reason i wish i were in the city!

=(
You'll meet everyone soon, lol. Just saw that you are traveling until orientation. We'll have to have another party in mid Augus, sometime before we all crack down and have no life. :)

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:45 pm

Working link for the immunization form:

--LinkRemoved--

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:16 pm

anyone else notice that a lot of the asw links don't work or reroute you to the same page? a little frustrating. just finished a great book called The Genius of America: How the Constitution Saved the Country and Why It Can Again. Definitely recommend it. All deposited Hofstra students received it. I almost took the full ride there. Anyway, just a suggestion.

jdny09

New

Post by jdny09 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:32 pm

I just graduated from the Law School. I loved my time at Fordham, and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have; particularly anything related to public interest law, which is hopefully what I'll be doing after I finish my clerkship next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:59 pm

jdny09 wrote:I just graduated from the Law School. I loved my time at Fordham, and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have; particularly anything related to public interest law, which is hopefully what I'll be doing after I finish my clerkship next year.
I'm at a party, being terribly antisocial, but I will definitely PM you tomorrow. I'm a PI and clerkship hopeful, too.

Congratulations, and thank you for visiting us!

frost

Bronze

Post by frost » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:06 am

hey jdny, thanks for dropping in! this is asking you to go back 3 years, but what was your 1L year schedule like? I'm intimidated by the admitted students book which says it's pretty much mon-fri 9-4. is it really such a rigid schedule and how much time were you devoting to studying outside of class hours?

jdny09

New

Post by jdny09 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:32 am

frost wrote:hey jdny, thanks for dropping in! this is asking you to go back 3 years, but what was your 1L year schedule like? I'm intimidated by the admitted students book which says it's pretty much mon-fri 9-4. is it really such a rigid schedule and how much time were you devoting to studying outside of class hours?
It definitely was not 5 days a week, 9-4. I believe I only had one class Monday morning, from like 9:30-11. Tuesdays we started a little later (11 or so), but we had 2 classes. Wednesday and Thursday were also long (1:20 min class in morning, 2 hour class in afternoon). Fridays were a little lighter with Legal Writing for an hour and a half or so and then another hour and a half class. Done before 1 I believe.

It varied a bit, though, by section.

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:31 am

jdny09, thanks for answering our questions!

I am also interested in public interest work, and am slightly concerned that this economy will make obtaining clerkships and public interest work in general much harder than it otherwise would be. What was your clerkship/job search experience like this year? How helpful was the PIRC in helping you with your job search?

Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jdny09

New

Post by jdny09 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:07 pm

silenziatori wrote:jdny09, thanks for answering our questions!

I am also interested in public interest work, and am slightly concerned that this economy will make obtaining clerkships and public interest work in general much harder than it otherwise would be. What was your clerkship/job search experience like this year? How helpful was the PIRC in helping you with your job search?

Thanks!
Both are pretty competitive in any economy. I think clerking is going to get tougher. Judges are going to have more people to choose from, and there's already been a big shift away from hiring clerks right out of law school. Particularly in NYC, many judges hire 2 or 3 clerks before 3Ls can even apply, so there just aren't many spots available. There's just a lot of chance and luck involved with the entire process. But, there are a some of judges who reliably hire virtually all their clerks from Fordham, and that will certainly continue.

As for PI stuff, I really don't think it's going to get much more competitive than it already is. Unlike clerkships, PI employers really look for passion and relevant experience. Even with more firm-types applying, I don't think it's going to crowd out the market much. However, the economy will mean decreased funding to some orgs and offices, and that seems like it might clamp down hiring. But there are still a ton of PI jobs out there, and Fordham has really done well. Even in the 3 years I was there, they've improved their position in the PI community substantially.

The PIRC office is great. They're very dedicated to helping you with internships and jobs, and they keep tabs on a large network of alumni that are borderline rabid in their desire to hire Fordham students.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:19 pm

Jdny09, would you tell us about your favorite and least favorite classes at Fordham? I am also interested in hearing about your search for summer jobs and internships, particularly if you went outside the traditional OCI model. It does seem like everyone with high enough grades wants to go through OCI. My understanding is that this process is mainly for firms' hiring needs. Did you find this to be the case? I am particularly interested in nonprofit work.

I'm worried about exams already... Were most of your first year exams closed book? Did you ever get take home exams? As a 2L and 3L, did you have classes that assigned final papers, instead?

Everyone talks about our school being NYC-centric. In your experience, does everyone want to stay here after graduation? I definitely do... I only hope our legal market recovers enough to permit it.

One last question, just because I'm curious; did you and your classmates go on TLS much? This site has helped me a ton, and I plan to return next year to assist other Fordham applicants.

Again, thank you so much!

jdny09

New

Post by jdny09 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:02 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Jdny09, would you tell us about your favorite and least favorite classes at Fordham? I am also interested in hearing about your search for summer jobs and internships, particularly if you went outside the traditional OCI model. It does seem like everyone with high enough grades wants to go through OCI. My understanding is that this process is mainly for firms' hiring needs. Did you find this to be the case? I am particularly interested in nonprofit work.

I'm worried about exams already... Were most of your first year exams closed book? Did you ever get take home exams? As a 2L and 3L, did you have classes that assigned final papers, instead?

Everyone talks about our school being NYC-centric. In your experience, does everyone want to stay here after graduation? I definitely do... I only hope our legal market recovers enough to permit it.

One last question, just because I'm curious; did you and your classmates go on TLS much? This site has helped me a ton, and I plan to return next year to assist other Fordham applicants.

As for favorite classes, I really liked a lot of the taught by adjuncts, particularly white-collar crime and death penalty. Fordham and other NYC schools really benefit from having actual lawyers teach classes during the evening, and I've found them just really interesting and really useful. Anything with Capra was great too. Least favorite, no question, corporations. Major drag. As far as first year, I actually liked civ pro and con law, and hated property with a passion.

Early interview week is almost entirely for firm hiring. OCI does continue into september and a lot of public sector employers interview. I think most people do OCI, even those interested in PI. Not everyone does -- I know a few people with amazing grades, law review, now doing COA clerkships who just didn't want to work for a firm and didn't sign up. But, they're certainly the exception.

1L year, maybe one or two exams were closed book, and the rest open note. None were take home. They really were not bad. You have to keep in mind that it's all relative, and even if the exam is damn near impossible (which was the case with property), it will still end okay because the prof has to give at least 40-50% of the class a B+ or better. 2L year, many classes have take homes and papers instead. Some don't have any exam (trial ad, other practice courses).

The school is NYC centric. People tend to come here because they want to end up in NYC. Some aren't, and the people I know who have wanted to end up elsewhere seem to do fine too, particularly if they want to stay on the East Coast.

As for TLS, I have no idea. I just found this site and it's a good way to procrastinate while I should be studying for the Bar.

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:16 pm

What was your experience with Fordham's administration? A rising Fordham 2L had posted in another thread that he had major problems with the Financial Aid office not supplying him with some of his loan refund money.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jdny09

New

Post by jdny09 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:29 pm

silenziatori wrote:What was your experience with Fordham's administration? A rising Fordham 2L had posted in another thread that he had major problems with the Financial Aid office not supplying him with some of his loan refund money.
Hah, yeah some parts of the administration can be a little frustrating to work with. It's actually kind of endearing as they mean well, but sometimes just can't get their stuff together. I haven't had many problems, but I've heard of delays with financial aid/registration stuff. Nothing that was too much more than a minor hastle though.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:59 pm

jdny09 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Jdny09, would you tell us about your favorite and least favorite classes at Fordham? I am also interested in hearing about your search for summer jobs and internships, particularly if you went outside the traditional OCI model. It does seem like everyone with high enough grades wants to go through OCI. My understanding is that this process is mainly for firms' hiring needs. Did you find this to be the case? I am particularly interested in nonprofit work.

As for favorite classes, I really liked a lot of the taught by adjuncts, particularly white-collar crime and death penalty. Fordham and other NYC schools really benefit from having actual lawyers teach classes during the evening, and I've found them just really interesting and really useful. Anything with Capra was great too. Least favorite, no question, corporations. Major drag. As far as first year, I actually liked civ pro and con law, and hated property with a passion.

Early interview week is almost entirely for firm hiring. OCI does continue into september and a lot of public sector employers interview. I think most people do OCI, even those interested in PI. Not everyone does -- I know a few people with amazing grades, law review, now doing COA clerkships who just didn't want to work for a firm and didn't sign up. But, they're certainly the exception.

1L year, maybe one or two exams were closed book, and the rest open note. None were take home. They really were not bad. You have to keep in mind that it's all relative, and even if the exam is damn near impossible (which was the case with property), it will still end okay because the prof has to give at least 40-50% of the class a B+ or better. 2L year, many classes have take homes and papers instead. Some don't have any exam (trial ad, other practice courses).

The school is NYC centric. People tend to come here because they want to end up in NYC. Some aren't, and the people I know who have wanted to end up elsewhere seem to do fine too, particularly if they want to stay on the East Coast.

As for TLS, I have no idea. I just found this site and it's a good way to procrastinate while I should be studying for the Bar.
Thanks so much! I feel better. I'm still nervous, I guess, about how I'll perform. It's so good to hear from a recent graduate...

Are there any other professors you would specifically recommend? You can PM me if you don't want to post specifics here. I'm in frequent contact with my classmates to be.

I have mixed feelings about OCI, though I'll probably participate. Is there a GPA cutoff for signing up, or is it just individual employers who impose restrictions? It's safely in the future, so it's probably early to be worrying...

Evening classes FTW. I spent my last two years at FIT loading up on such classes, for the same reasons. My professors really were tireless, but they were also well connected. Did you feel that Fordham professors got to know students, and were willing to give advice outside the scope of class?

Anyway, congrats on your clerkship, and I wish you the very best on your bar prep. Are you taking BAR/BRI?

jdny09

New

Post by jdny09 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:25 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
jdny09 wrote:

Thanks so much! I feel better. I'm still nervous, I guess, about how I'll perform. It's so good to hear from a recent graduate...

Are there any other professors you would specifically recommend? You can PM me if you don't want to post specifics here. I'm in frequent contact with my classmates to be.

I have mixed feelings about OCI, though I'll probably participate. Is there a GPA cutoff for signing up, or is it just individual employers who impose restrictions? It's safely in the future, so it's probably early to be worrying...

Evening classes FTW. I spent my last two years at FIT loading up on such classes, for the same reasons. My professors really were tireless, but they were also well connected. Did you feel that Fordham professors got to know students, and were willing to give advice outside the scope of class?

Anyway, congrats on your clerkship, and I wish you the very best on your bar prep. Are you taking BAR/BRI?
I'll PM you with some profs. There's no GPA requirement to sign up at OCI. Also, there are many non-biglaw firms that come, so if you're interested in NJ, Conn., PA, etc you will get a lot more leeway with GPA. Unless it's changed, it's a 60/40 system where firms pick 60% of the students on their schedule and the other 40% are picked by rank in the lottery.

Many profs were more than happy to give advice outside of the class, particularly the adjuncts. It's not like they're teaching night classes for the $$$, so they tend to be people who are experts in their field and are genuinely interested in staying up to date and teaching law students about it. Many felt that their specialty area didn't get enough attention when they were in law school, and so they're eager to try to get you interested in doing their kind of work. Another good thing is that every 1L prof gets a budget to take students out to lunch, and most do take a group of 3 or 4 out often during the semester.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:40 pm

Thank you for visiting our thread, jdny!

I'm particularly interested in Fordham's clinics. Did you participate in one? And if so, would you mind telling us about your experience?

And along the "great professors" vein, does Fordham have a website where students can post and read reviews of the school's various professors? My undergrad institution had something like that and I found it very helpful when choosing my electives.

Thank you!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:04 pm

I would also be interested in your prof recommendations. Can I get a cc on that PM?

Yet another question: Did you like your legal writing course and professor?

Oh, and ditto OperaSoprano with congrats to you on your clerkship, and good luck with the bar!

jdny09

New

Post by jdny09 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:18 pm

Re clinics: Yes I did one and it was excellent. Highly recommend doing any of them -- they're all great. I did one that involved representing clients in court, and it was very rewarding but a ton of work.

Re legal writing: I had a really good legal writing prof who actually just left the school (think he moved to another city). He was a federal prosecutor here, and for our spring semester brief and moot court, we actually got to go down to the courthouse and argue in front of 3 AUSAs who had clerked for 2nd Circuit judges. Everyone who teaches in it is an actual practicing lawyer, and they come from a variety of fields (law firm partners, gov't lawyers, judges, etc.). The only downside is it's graded on a regular curve, which makes it tough since the section is so small. Just about everyone gets a B or B+.

I think there's an evaluation page that has class evals, though I've never checked it. Word gets around pretty well among 2Ls and 3Ls, so I never felt like I needed to check.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:52 pm

To echo silenziatori and OS (because I forgot earlier), congrats on the clerkship and good luck on the bar!

I would also be interested in a pm with the professors you recommend, and would it be alright if I pm'd you about your clinic experience?

For the thread: I'm also interested in hearing any advice you have on balancing law school and life. I know, this is a broad question, but you've done very well for yourself and seem happy with your law school experience, so your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again :D

jdny09

New

Post by jdny09 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:57 pm

the fledgling wrote:To echo silenziatori and OS (because I forgot earlier), congrats on the clerkship and good luck on the bar!

I would also be interested in a pm with the professors you recommend, and would it be alright if I pm'd you about your clinic experience?

For the thread: I'm also interested in hearing any advice you have on balancing law school and life. I know, this is a broad question, but you've done very well for yourself and seem happy with your law school experience, so your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again :D
Sure, feel free to PM me with any questions. As for work life balance, I found it suprisingly easy. 1L year is a lot of work, but it's manageable. You have plenty of time to piece it all together at the end of the semester, so I didn't find a need to go full steam all the time. Things get stressful when the short and long memos are due in fall, and when your brief is due in spring, but other than that you really do have a lot of free time, especially as you begin to get used to reading cases. I mean, the usual reading assignment is 15-30 pages. If you have 2 classes to read for, you're looking at no more than 3-4 hours max of work after you get the hang of things. And some days you'll only have 1 class. So, I found there to be plenty of time to work hard, keep a life outside of school, and also do some pulic interest org activities.

On the whole, I was able to have a lot of free time thursday-sunday, with plenty of time do things, visit friends in other cities, etc. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be, It's just important to do what you feel you need to do to keep up, and to not focus on what everyone else is doing. It's a marathon and not a sprint. You have good days, and days where you can't focus -- you just have to get a feel for when you should stick with it and when your time is better spent going to dinner with friends or seeing a movie. There were a few people in my section who, I swear, sat in the library all day and must have literally retyped half their casebook into a word doc. If you are putting page-long block quotes from Marbury v. Madison into your 225+ page con law outline, you probably need to reevaluate your study routine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”