Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Post by ZXCVBNM » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:53 pm

i know that there are 160 students in PT program...how many FT?

broach911

New

Post by broach911 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:58 pm

On the Facebook there was an interesting question. What are the rest of you doing for exercise? As a person coming from a tropical climate year round, I usually just go to the gym for weights, and I run outside. What exercise do you do in the winter in NYC? Are there any non ridiculously priced gyms?

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:04 pm

you can run in the winter in NY...just dress warm. i do it...i actually like it more than the summer.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:05 am

broach911 wrote:On the Facebook there was an interesting question. What are the rest of you doing for exercise? As a person coming from a tropical climate year round, I usually just go to the gym for weights, and I run outside. What exercise do you do in the winter in NYC? Are there any non ridiculously priced gyms?
I'll be jogging in the park and doing yoga here and there. There's a place in the village where you pay what you think is "appropriate."

Btw, Res Life sent me the '09-'10 residential life packet (I withdrew from the dorms, but I guess my name didn't make it off the mailing list). If anyone wants to know what's inside feel free to pm me.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:38 am

ZXCVBNM wrote:you can run in the winter in NY...just dress warm. i do it...i actually like it more than the summer.
i kind of agree with this, but i'm kind of biased because i just absolutely love running in CP...it's nice most of the time, but hard to fit in during the the little bit of light before and after work/classes

i hate to say it but nyc is awful for gyms...NYSC will run you about $95/mo and thats probably the cheaper of the 'chain' gyms (equinox, depending on the package you choose can go anywhere from $130/mo to $200/mo)...there's a club H and reebok fitness gym near fordham but i know that both are very expensive too...there are some lesser known gyms dispersed throughout the city that i'm sure offer deals, but i can not really comment on those....i remember someone mentioning it earlier in the thread that fordham has a gym somewhere, but not so sure what the condition was

if you're really desperate, you can join a NYC Parks and Rec recreation center...there's one on like 57th b/w 10th and 11th, but the last time i was there it was pretty run down (the nicest one i remember is in Chelsea 25th and 9th if you're willing to travel a bit)...the positives to it, it costs $75/yr, so make of it what you want

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:03 am

There is an exercise room in McMahon which has, I believe, 2-3 treadmills and ellipticals. I think that is all it has, but it could have some freeweights...maybe.

I don't have any exercise recommendations for the winter, but I do recommend handball for the rest of the year. Handball, anyone?

SmittyLaw

New

Post by SmittyLaw » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:15 pm

I go to Mid-City Gym on 49th/8th Ave. It's a no-frills, non-chain gym with cardio machines and a lot of weight training equipment. There are no classes, but it's decent if you are looking for an inexpensive place to work out.

Tron

New

Post by Tron » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:01 pm

sorry to derail the thread -- but there is a registration form due Monday. does anyone know how binding this is (ie will I owe tuition if i get off of a waitlist and choose to leave)?

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:04 pm

Tron wrote:sorry to derail the thread -- but there is a registration form due Monday. does anyone know how binding this is (ie will I owe tuition if i get off of a waitlist and choose to leave)?
It is non-binding. You won't owe any tuition if you withdraw. Actually, that's not entirely true. If you were to be enrolled and attending Fordham for a certain period of time after classes started, then after a certain point you may owe tuition. But I doubt that's a situation you'll face.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SmittyLaw

New

Post by SmittyLaw » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:50 pm

I forgot to mention that Mid-City Gym is $40/month. Doh.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:14 am

It's done! I just faxed my Stein Scholars application off to Fordham. I don't think I've ever spent more time on three pages of writing in my life. (PS excluded, lol) I have no idea what in the hell they're going to make of my application, but it was honest. I'm not expecting much, but keep your fingers crossed for Bostonlegal, Silenz and me. Is there anyone else?

Here's to a glorious Fourth! I'm off to the Jersey Shore with the boy, for vegetarian barbecue and illegal fireworks.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:59 am

Good morning everybody. Hope you all had a good 4th of July weekend. The fireworks on the Hudson were very good.

gennyn

New

Post by gennyn » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:58 pm

Hey guys,

I recently just got off the waitlist for Georgetown and sadly, I have to withdraw from Fordham. It was a tough decision (DC is where I want to be after) and I wish you guys all the best.

That being said, I am looking to see if anyone is interested in taking over my place. It's a fantastic spot (9th avenue, between 55th and 56th). It's a small cozy apartment, three rooms (two real bedrooms and one converted from the living room). The converted room is the one that I need to fill- I've been living in that room for the last 8 months and I really love it and am so sad to be leaving my apt. It's small but easily fits a full-sized bed, wardrobe, side table, all of which I can leave to the incoming person for a nominal amount). Rent is 750 (amazing deal for the location and size, utilities normally run 100.

The rest of the apt is small but there's a great breakfast nook/bar area where we cook.

Let me know if you're interested and we can set up times to look at my place. I'm looking for someone who wants to move in mid-August, dates are flexible however. I'm looking primarily for females since the other two roommates are ladies. We're also looking for someone long-term, pref up to a year.

If you're interested, contact me at genny.ngai@gmail.com

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:20 pm

withdrew today from gulc wl! felt great!!!! can't wait for school in august!

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:57 pm

ZXCVBNM wrote:withdrew today from gulc wl! felt great!!!! can't wait for school in august!
Me toooooo!!!! I'm so excited! I just got Getting to Maybe and I've never been happier reading a boring book! :D

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:47 pm

So I ordered Introduction to the Study of Law, Third Edition from LexisNexis' website and received a book with the title of Introduction to the Study of Law Cases and Materials, Third Edition. The authors are the same but the ISBN numbers between the different books are not the same. I've been on the phone with Lexis and Fordham for the past 45 minutes and apparently the book I received is the correct book and the other book doesn't really exist. I would really appreciate it if someone else checked this out as well because the whole ordeal is kind of confusing me. The book they list on the Fordham to do list has the ISBN: 9781422419878 and the book I received and the one they are now claiming is the right book has the ISBN: 9781422428733. I wouldn't suggest anyone purchase anything until we have sorted this out. Would anyone volunteer to call the school and verify what I've been told?

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:14 pm

pammy1985 wrote:So I ordered Introduction to the Study of Law, Third Edition from LexisNexis' website and received a book with the title of Introduction to the Study of Law Cases and Materials, Third Edition. The authors are the same but the ISBN numbers between the different books are not the same. I've been on the phone with Lexis and Fordham for the past 45 minutes and apparently the book I received is the correct book and the other book doesn't really exist. I would really appreciate it if someone else checked this out as well because the whole ordeal is kind of confusing me. The book they list on the Fordham to do list has the ISBN: 9781422419878 and the book I received and the one they are now claiming is the right book has the ISBN: 9781422428733. I wouldn't suggest anyone purchase anything until we have sorted this out. Would anyone volunteer to call the school and verify what I've been told?
uggh i just ordered this from lexis about an hour ago

geo you around at all today? i know you ordered and already have the book

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:38 pm

jrock12 wrote:
pammy1985 wrote:So I ordered Introduction to the Study of Law, Third Edition from LexisNexis' website and received a book with the title of Introduction to the Study of Law Cases and Materials, Third Edition. The authors are the same but the ISBN numbers between the different books are not the same. I've been on the phone with Lexis and Fordham for the past 45 minutes and apparently the book I received is the correct book and the other book doesn't really exist. I would really appreciate it if someone else checked this out as well because the whole ordeal is kind of confusing me. The book they list on the Fordham to do list has the ISBN: 9781422419878 and the book I received and the one they are now claiming is the right book has the ISBN: 9781422428733. I wouldn't suggest anyone purchase anything until we have sorted this out. Would anyone volunteer to call the school and verify what I've been told?

Thats what I got, the cases and material. I am pretty sure its correct. I think lexis might have the old version's isbn instead.

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:41 pm

geoanthem wrote:
jrock12 wrote:

Thats what I got, the cases and material. I am pretty sure its correct. I think lexis might have the old version's isbn instead.
I hope it's correct. But the ISBN on the book I got does not match the ISBN posted on Fordham's to do list so I think Fordham also has the wrong ISBN. What a mess!

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:36 pm

pammy1985 wrote:I hope it's correct. But the ISBN on the book I got does not match the ISBN posted on Fordham's to do list so I think Fordham also has the wrong ISBN. What a mess!
Pammy, was the book you got pubbed in 2009? It is possible that Fordham got both the ISBN and the 3rd edition's title wrong, which could explain why they're assuring you that Introduction to the Study of Law Cases and Materials, Third Edition is the right book. Different editions have different ISBNs and publishers do sometimes change the title of the book in various editions, so if all parties say its the same book then it most likely is.

At least I hope so. I just ordered this from Lexis last night :?

It is weird that Lexis gives it one title on their site and then sent another. Maybe they messed up when they went to print and printed the longer title. They might not have had time to tell all of their buyers it that its now called ISLCM. They should've at least updated their own site though.

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:43 pm

do we have to read this book before orientation?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:46 pm

ZXCVBNM wrote:do we have to read this book before orientation?
Yes, but I think there will be an assigned reading list for it that isn't up yet.

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:47 pm

thanks, there is another book they are mailing us right? we have to read that before orientation too?

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:50 pm

ZXCVBNM wrote:thanks, there is another book they are mailing us right? we have to read that before orientation too?
I believe the intro to study of law is not required to be read before classes start. my understanding it was for legal process or whatever, while the book they send us is meant to be read before classes.

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:51 pm

the fledgling wrote:
pammy1985 wrote:I hope it's correct. But the ISBN on the book I got does not match the ISBN posted on Fordham's to do list so I think Fordham also has the wrong ISBN. What a mess!
Pammy, was the book you got pubbed in 2009? It is possible that Fordham got both the ISBN and the 3rd edition's title wrong, which could explain why they're assuring you that Introduction to the Study of Law Cases and Materials, Third Edition is the right book. Different editions have different ISBNs and publishers do sometimes change the title of the book in various editions, so if all parties say its the same book then it most likely is.

At least I hope so. I just ordered this from Lexis last night :?

It is weird that Lexis gives it one title on their site and then sent another. Maybe they messed up when they went to print and printed the longer title. They might not have had time to tell all of their buyers it that its now called ISLCM. They should've at least updated their own site though.
I get a bit fussy when stuff like this happens. It just got to me that both Lexis and Fordham have the wrong titles and ISBN numbers up on their websites.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”