Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
ag123

New

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Post by ag123 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:43 pm

Any suggestions for apartment searching other than Craigslist? My SO and I are looking in HK (like everyone else apparently) for a 1BR to start in August... I think it might still be early to look at actual places, but I'm getting nervous.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:04 pm

ag123 wrote:Any suggestions for apartment searching other than Craigslist? My SO and I are looking in HK (like everyone else apparently) for a 1BR to start in August... I think it might still be early to look at actual places, but I'm getting nervous.
Streeteasy.com. I'm obsessed with that site. You cou also check out Corcoran, Prudential, Halstead, and other real estate agencies but they come with a fee.

And you might be a little early, but you may able to get some good deals. I think right now most of the places are available immediately or for June 15th/July 1st.
Last edited by the fledgling on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:12 pm

jrock12 wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:I did not realize Hell's kitchen went up that far. Thats good information. Thanks!. I was thinking about apartments in the high 60's... It doesnt seem like it would be a far walk and it might cut down the prices. Any ideas?
high 60s will be more expensive than HK
Agreed. And personally I think that area has much less charm than HK (I'm a sucker for charm), and even if there are more DM buildings I don't think that completely warrants the increase in cost.

Sentinal, what's your criteria for a place? It'd be easier to give advice if I knew more about what you're looking for.

And on some websites HK is known as Clinton. In case people have run into that, it's the same neighborhood with a different (less cool) name.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:22 pm

jrock12 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Does anyone else think it would be a bad idea to keep living south of 14th St? My roommate is apparently allergic to the rest of Manhattan.

RE: Yesterday's skirmish with our friends uptown: this is how it got started, if anyone is curious: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&start=50

Fighting just makes me :cry:. It would be like the Civil War; we both have too many friends on the other side.

My dear roommate might be amenable to the west village, though, if we can afford it. I'm going to lobby hard.
i dont think so at all
how far east are you right now?
WV would be the perfect balance i think (keep the vibe of a cool neighborhood, yet with an easier commute)...but we all know this comes with a price tag
One block east and one south of Cardozo. It's not bad at all, but we could definitely live around Lincoln Center for the same price. Once the sublet ends next month, the rent is going to jump.

Anything around 7th Ave would rock. It's not like we'll have any time to even notice our surroundings.

I don't think I've ever wanted summer to be over before...

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:30 pm

the fledgling wrote:
jrock12 wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:I did not realize Hell's kitchen went up that far. Thats good information. Thanks!. I was thinking about apartments in the high 60's... It doesnt seem like it would be a far walk and it might cut down the prices. Any ideas?
high 60s will be more expensive than HK
Agreed. And personally I think that area has much less charm than HK (I'm a sucker for charm), and even if there are more DM buildings I don't think that completely warrants the increase in cost.

Sentinal, what's your criteria for a place? It'd be easier to give advice if I knew more about what you're looking for.

And on some websites HK is known as Clinton. In case people have run into that, it's the same neighborhood with a different (less cool) name.

I am looking for a place pretty close to the school (walking distance, 20 min max). I also want the place to be pretty good in terms of quality. I don't care about view or nearby restaurants or anything like that. I want a clean building and clean place thats walking distance to the school. Thats really about it.... lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:31 pm

Does Fordham have a gym or pool that we have access too?

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:54 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:I am looking for a place pretty close to the school (walking distance, 20 min max). I also want the place to be pretty good in terms of quality. I don't care about view or nearby restaurants or anything like that. I want a clean building and clean place thats walking distance to the school. Thats really about it.... lol
Then your best bet's the 60s near West End Ave. Those buildings are all new and very close to the school. I visited one a few weeks backs, I think it was Lincoln Towers. There was an Archstone building up the street. Brand new appliances, hard wood floors, gym with a pool, laundry, DM/concierge, and I think they had central air. Negative's for me included only one small closet for the studio (though I was told that wasn't common), construction work outside the window, the neighborhood was a bit desolate (though there was a supermarket across the street), and the heat was electric and the building only paid for heat up to 65 degrees, meaning my electric bill would have been sky high in the winter. On the plus side I asked if they could go lower and they said they would, but not by much--$1800. So try negotiating.

I work five blocks from Fordham so let me know if you have any questions about the neighborhood.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:02 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:Does Fordham have a gym or pool that we have access too?
The gym is really crappy. I think it's in McMahon Hall.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:22 pm

nitsudrx wrote:

I guess we should look for stuff with out apartments... or get a membership. blah.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:00 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:

I guess we should look for stuff with out apartments... or get a membership. blah.
I got New York Sports Club regional access (I can go to any NY Sports Club) for 89 a month. Its good because there are a couple 2 blocks from where I live (one is 24 hours) and another across the street from the law school.

txgirl

New

Post by txgirl » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:02 pm

I already posted this on the facebook, but I'm moving into a 3 bedroom in Hell's Kitchen, 10th and 44th, with a friend. We're looking for another responsible female to move in with us on July 1st. The rent would be 950 a month (move in is 3x this) and it has an elevator, laundry in the building, and on hopstop it says it's a 19 minute walk to Fordham. I have a really sweet four year old chihuahua, so you have to like dogs. Anyways, if anyone's interested PM me.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:10 pm

txgirl wrote:I already posted this on the facebook, but I'm moving into a 3 bedroom in Hell's Kitchen, 10th and 44th, with a friend. We're looking for another responsible female to move in with us on July 1st. The rent would be 950 a month (move in is 3x this) and it has an elevator, laundry in the building, and on hopstop it says it's a 19 minute walk to Fordham. I have a really sweet four year old chihuahua, so you have to like dogs. Anyways, if anyone's interested PM me.
What do you mean by "move in is 3x this"?

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:13 pm

nitsudrx wrote:
txgirl wrote:I already posted this on the facebook, but I'm moving into a 3 bedroom in Hell's Kitchen, 10th and 44th, with a friend. We're looking for another responsible female to move in with us on July 1st. The rent would be 950 a month (move in is 3x this) and it has an elevator, laundry in the building, and on hopstop it says it's a 19 minute walk to Fordham. I have a really sweet four year old chihuahua, so you have to like dogs. Anyways, if anyone's interested PM me.
What do you mean by "move in is 3x this"?
Maybe security, 1st month, broker's fee?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

txgirl

New

Post by txgirl » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:16 pm

I meant that it will cost 950x3 to move-in, which includes your first month's rent, security, and last months rent.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:49 pm

txgirl wrote:I meant that it will cost 950x3 to move-in, which includes your first month's rent, security, and last months rent.
:shock:

is this common?

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:11 pm

nitsudrx wrote:
txgirl wrote:I meant that it will cost 950x3 to move-in, which includes your first month's rent, security, and last months rent.

is this common?
The last month thing not so much, but the other two--definitely. There's no legal limit on the security deposit, but the equivalent of one month's rent is standard. You will get your security deposit back at the end of your lease, assuming you haven't damaged your apartment. Make sure to take pics when you move-in in case there is a dispute.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:30 pm

the fledgling wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:

is this common?
The last month thing not so much, but the other two--definitely. There's no legal limit on the security deposit, but the equivalent of one month's rent is standard. You will get your security deposit back at the end of your lease, assuming you haven't damaged your apartment. Make sure to take pics when you move-in in case there is a dispute.

I guess its just nice to get that two months of rent out of the way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:29 pm

I'm giving very serious thought to moving closer to school, especially if I can find someone cool to live with. I love my current roommate, but her lifestyle is just not conducive to quiet and studying. I pay $1200 now, and could go slightly higher. I spent a year of my life living across the street from Port Authority, so I would love to live in the W60s or 70s, if anything affordable is on the market. I have a feline, so I am completely animal friendly.

Anyway, it's just a thought. Is anyone else thinking along these lines? I am 24, and obviously a girl. I don't have to leave my current situation, but I'm really, really thinking about it.

PMs are always welcome.

faulkner

New

Post by faulkner » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:47 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:
the fledgling wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:

is this common?

I guess its just nice to get that two months of rent out of the way.
For practically anywhere decent in Manhattan, you usually had to pay a broker's fee on top of that, which was an extra 1-2 month's rent that was just a finder's fee, basically. Mercifully, the recession's mostly done away with that evil only-in-Manhattan policy, it seems. No fees...such a good time to be apt hunting there...

Also, still looking for a 3rd roommate to move in Aug 1! Hell's Kitchen, trying to keep it around $900-1000 each.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:41 am

2nd deposit check cashed!
impressed by fordham's speed this time around: a little over 2 weeks as opposed to a little over 8 wks for the first check!

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:44 am

My second deposit hasn't been cashed yet, but I think I sent mine in later than yours.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:52 am

They cashed mine last week. I paid it on the 29th, I think.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:58 am

has anyone embarked on the GradPlus process yet?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:02 am

jrock12 wrote:has anyone embarked on the GradPlus process yet?
No. Is there a deadline of when this needs to be done? (How irresponsible of me...)

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:05 am

Haven't done anything about GradPlus since Fordham released the new COA just last week. I'll be starting the process soon.

I think the fact we need to go through HESC is annoying.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”