Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
pammy1985

Bronze

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Post by pammy1985 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:29 pm

CrazyLawStudent wrote:
pammy1985 wrote:
CrazyLawStudent wrote:I went ahead and bought the books listed as required from the bookstore today. Now hopefully I just won't get screwed over by last minute changes. I have until the first week of class to return/exchange, so it should be fine I would think.

They have a good used selection, athough I think I cleaned them out of the unmarked used copies. Sorry guys! haha.
Can you tell us how much you spent? Just trying to work it into my budget so I don't go hungry. :mrgreen:
Yeah, about $630. :shock: :cry: I bought used everything I could.

The total is probably different depending on what section you are in though. I'm in section 2.
Thank You! :D

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:48 pm

Section 5 peeps: Anyone tried searching for our books yet? I searched the bookstore for CRGL 0103-004, CNGL 0104-001, PRGL 0107-001, and LTGL 0106-009 and no luck. The books aren't up yet and 0106-009 isn't listed under LTGL :| Did I do something wrong, or are our books just not up yet?

I'm kinda jealous of you, Section 2.

greatwhiteway

New

Post by greatwhiteway » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:04 pm

the fledgling wrote:Section 5 peeps: Anyone tried searching for our books yet? I searched the bookstore for CRGL 0103-004, CNGL 0104-001, PRGL 0107-001, and LTGL 0106-009 and no luck. The books aren't up yet and 0106-009 isn't listed under LTGL :| Did I do something wrong, or are our books just not up yet?

I'm kinda jealous of you, Section 2.
Use the form on the main page for textbooks with the dropdown menus, it should give you a customized book list with everything we need... which comes up to $700+ (all new from the bookstore)

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:10 pm

greatwhiteway wrote:Use the form on the main page for textbooks with the dropdown menus, it should give you a customized book list with everything we need... which comes up to $700+ (all new from the bookstore)
Instead of the book list I've been getting this message:

"Course Pre-Order
Currently no textbook has been assigned for this course. You can still reserve now by clicking the "Add to Cart" button and we will process your order as soon as textbook information is received.
If your instructor decides not to require any materials, this pre-order will not be processed."

EDIT: Bookstore link I've been looking at in case for some freak reason it's wrong: --LinkRemoved--

greatwhiteway

New

Post by greatwhiteway » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:23 pm

the fledgling wrote:
greatwhiteway wrote:Use the form on the main page for textbooks with the dropdown menus, it should give you a customized book list with everything we need... which comes up to $700+ (all new from the bookstore)
Instead of the book list I've been getting this message:

"Course Pre-Order
Currently no textbook has been assigned for this course. You can still reserve now by clicking the "Add to Cart" button and we will process your order as soon as textbook information is received.
If your instructor decides not to require any materials, this pre-order will not be processed."

EDIT: Bookstore link I've been looking at in case for some freak reason it's wrong: --LinkRemoved--
Hmm... works for me.
1. Fall (Aug,Sept)
2. Law
3. Contracts/Legal Writ/Crim Law
4. 005

?
I'd copy-paste it but the formatting is not cooperating... :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:29 pm

greatwhiteway wrote:Hmm... works for me.
1. Fall (Aug,Sept)
2. Law
4. 005

?
EDIT: I figured out the discrepancy! I've been searching the specific course codes (e.g., CRGL), and you've been going through LAW. Anyone know which one is accurate?

EDIT 2: The Crim Law prof in LAW --> 005 (Dressler) is not the same as Section 5's prof (Denno), which leads me to believe this book list may not be accurate for CRGL 0103-004 (which is Section 5's course).

(Unless Dressler's just the author. oye)
Last edited by the fledgling on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

greatwhiteway

New

Post by greatwhiteway » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:38 pm

the fledgling wrote:
greatwhiteway wrote:Hmm... works for me.
1. Fall (Aug,Sept)
2. Law
4. 005

?
EDIT: I figured out the discrepancy! I've been searching the specific course codes (e.g., CRGL), and you've been going through LAW. Anyone know which one is accurate?

EDIT 2: The Crim Law prof in LAW --> 005 (Dressler) is not the same as Section 5's prof (Denno), which leads me to believe this book list may not be accurate for CRGL 0103-004 (which is Section 5's course).

(Unless Dressler's just the author. oye)
I think he's the author... judging from a quick search on Amazon anyway :D

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:43 pm

greatwhiteway wrote:I think he's the author... judging from a quick search on Amazon anyway :D
You're probably right. It just seems odd that they would give us specific course numbers, include them in the text book drop down list, but then also have a generic LAW category for all the sections.

And behold, the magic of google: http://www.fordham.edu/law/faculty/denn ... nallaw.htm (last year's but could be useful)

Btw, thanks for your help Great!

greatwhiteway

New

Post by greatwhiteway » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:50 pm

the fledgling wrote:
greatwhiteway wrote:I think he's the author... judging from a quick search on Amazon anyway :D
You're probably right. It just seems odd that they would give us specific course numbers, include them in the text book drop down list, but then also have a generic LAW category for all the sections.

And behold, the magic of google: http://www.fordham.edu/law/faculty/denn ... nallaw.htm (last year's but could be useful)

Btw, thanks for your help Great!
You're welcome :)
And thanks for the link!

Edit: I think I've found ours.... http://law.fordham.edu/faculty/10302.htm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:02 pm

greatwhiteway wrote:Edit: I think I've found ours.... http://law.fordham.edu/faculty/10302.htm
Brilliant!

Edit: Bender's syllabi aren't up yet unfortunately.

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:26 pm

Aw, man, thanks for the links greatwhiteway and fledgling! I'm gonna try to find who our property professor is. Who is in Legal Writing Section 106-09?

Rachyk

New

Post by Rachyk » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:36 pm

Just found out I am in section 12. Is anyone else?

greatwhiteway

New

Post by greatwhiteway » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:41 pm

silenziatori wrote:Aw, man, thanks for the links greatwhiteway and fledgling! I'm gonna try to find who our property professor is. Who is in Legal Writing Section 106-09?
Wow. We're such keeners. lol
I thought we'd all be in the same legal writing section.....? :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:50 pm

greatwhiteway wrote:
silenziatori wrote:Aw, man, thanks for the links greatwhiteway and fledgling! I'm gonna try to find who our property professor is. Who is in Legal Writing Section 106-09?
:lol:

Nah, we get split up into smaller groups for legal writing.

greatwhiteway

New

Post by greatwhiteway » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:45 pm

silenziatori wrote:
greatwhiteway wrote:

Ohhh... ok. I'm in 106-09 :D

ascremer

Bronze

Post by ascremer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:59 pm

im in legal writing 106-005 anyone else??

also the textbooks for contracts (section 3) are not up yet, right :?:

ascremer

Bronze

Post by ascremer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:17 pm

Two questions:
1) When I'm selecting the textbook list on Fordham Bookstore webpage it allows you to choose sections once you choose your course name
Although I am in section 3, for example my property course code is PRGL 0107 - 005. Do I choose Section 5 or Section 3?
For Legal Writing it asks for the whole code so you can choose 106-005 but its not the same for my other three courses.
Does anyone know which way to go?

2) On the Orientation schedule for the Day Division the legal process course begins at 2pm on Monday and on the next 3 days the course is limited to 3 hours. Im guessing this is not the whole orientation program but rather just the schedule for the course. do you guys know where we can get the complete orientation schedule?

Thanks!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:43 pm

Can we talk about Case of a Lifetime? I finally got my copy today. How did you guys read it? I made the mistake of beginning the book on the 2 uptown, and nearly became a traffic fatality because I couldn't put it down long enough to cross Broadway at 72nd St. I just made it through the first chapter, and I cannot stop shaking. I seriously had to stop reading every couple of pages to take some deep breaths. Intro to the Study of Law had better not be like this!

Whatever Fordham wanted to accomplish by sending us this book, I think it worked. I should probably confess that Les Miserables (the unabridged novel) made a deep impact on me years ago. It was really, really hard to read this.

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:00 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Can we talk about Case of a Lifetime? I finally got my copy today. How did you guys read it? I made the mistake of beginning the book on the 2 uptown, and nearly became a traffic fatality because I couldn't put it down long enough to cross Broadway at 72nd St. I just made it through the first chapter, and I cannot stop shaking. I seriously had to stop reading every couple of pages to take some deep breaths. Intro to the Study of Law had better not be like this!

Whatever Fordham wanted to accomplish by sending us this book, I think it worked. I should probably confess that Les Miserables (the unabridged novel) made a deep impact on me years ago. It was really, really hard to read this.

I know! It doesn't get any harder to put down. It's actually getting me interested in being a public defender. Gotta work on my fucking language though, if you catch my fucking drift (you'll get to that part).

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:01 pm

greatwhiteway wrote:
silenziatori wrote:
greatwhiteway wrote:

Ohhh... ok. I'm in 106-09 :D
We will suffer together.

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:05 pm

ascremer wrote: 2) On the Orientation schedule for the Day Division the legal process course begins at 2pm on Monday and on the next 3 days the course is limited to 3 hours. Im guessing this is not the whole orientation program but rather just the schedule for the course. do you guys know where we can get the complete orientation schedule?

Thanks!!
I'm confused, are you looking at this schedule?:

--LinkRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:08 pm

silenziatori wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Can we talk about Case of a Lifetime? I finally got my copy today. How did you guys read it? I made the mistake of beginning the book on the 2 uptown, and nearly became a traffic fatality because I couldn't put it down long enough to cross Broadway at 72nd St. I just made it through the first chapter, and I cannot stop shaking. I seriously had to stop reading every couple of pages to take some deep breaths. Intro to the Study of Law had better not be like this!

I know! It doesn't get any harder to put down. It's actually getting me interested in being a public defender. Gotta work on my fucking language though, if you catch my fucking drift (you'll get to that part).
I can help with that. Goddamn this fucking book for making me so upset! I don't know which is worse, actually reading it or attempting to stop doing so. Our school has a clinic like that... right?

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:10 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I can help with that. Goddamn this fucking book for making me so upset! I don't know which is worse, actually reading it or attempting to stop doing so. Our school has a clinic like that... right?
http://law.fordham.edu/clinical-legal-e ... n/5423.htm

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:17 pm

silenziatori wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I can help with that. Goddamn this fucking book for making me so upset! I don't know which is worse, actually reading it or attempting to stop doing so. Our school has a clinic like that... right?
http://law.fordham.edu/clinical-legal-e ... n/5423.htm
I don't know what to think or what to say.

I think I'd better get off TLS and go for a run around my new block.

EDIT: I feel a bit better now. Going to finish the book.

I love living up here! It won't be much longer...

CrazyLawStudent

New

Post by CrazyLawStudent » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:48 pm

ascremer wrote:Two questions:
1) When I'm selecting the textbook list on Fordham Bookstore webpage it allows you to choose sections once you choose your course name
Although I am in section 3, for example my property course code is PRGL 0107 - 005. Do I choose Section 5 or Section 3?
For Legal Writing it asks for the whole code so you can choose 106-005 but its not the same for my other three courses.
Does anyone know which way to go?

2) On the Orientation schedule for the Day Division the legal process course begins at 2pm on Monday and on the next 3 days the course is limited to 3 hours. Im guessing this is not the whole orientation program but rather just the schedule for the course. do you guys know where we can get the complete orientation schedule?

Thanks!!
1. I think you pick your overall section (3) rather than your course section. I say this because when you click on Legal Writing, for example, it lists your course code rather than sections, and it lists the full code, letters and all. On all the others, it only lists 01, 02, 03, etc. (through to 12, and there are 12 overall sections), and to me if they wanted course codes for all of them they would put the full code for all of them, rather than the full code for some, and a code that looks suspiciously like an overall section code for the rest.

of course, since I already bought my books with that theory, I'm hoping it's correct. :wink:

2. Can't help you here, sorry.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”