Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
JoshHK

New

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Post by JoshHK » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:18 am

hey everyone! first post in this thread... i was hanging on to the ND wait list so I've avoided TLS for the past few weeks... but I'm about ready to just withdraw from ND and start getting into the Fordham mindset. :)

i posted on the facebook group as well--but i'm looking for a couple of roomates to go in on a 2BR converted to 3 apartment in a lux, full-service high-rise near school (52nd/10th... 8 blocks south, 1 ave west). Total rent on the apartment is about $4300... would be tiered pricing... person in the master bed pays the most (~$1500), person in the converted Bedroom pays the least (~1300ish)... anyway, the building i'm thinking of is the archstone clinton (actually 2 buildings)... i used to live right down the block. buildings are basically brand new... went up in 2008... doorman, gym, all the amenities you'd want.

so, if you're interested, and think you might make a good roomate, PM me and let me know. Looking to start a lease around August 1st.

Oh, link to the bldg is here:
--LinkRemoved--

yay Fordham!

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:24 am

jrock12 wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:
the fledgling wrote:I don't know about Lenovo, but on Apple's site you simply click the student discount and find your school from the drop down menu (this is after they ask for city, state). The discount is $50 with a free iPod touch, plus there's a free printer deal going on now (after $100 rebate). Lenovo might have a better deal for students. Actually, Lenovo probably will have a better deal for students. I love my MacBook but man was it expensive.

Thanks! One of my friends works for IBM, so I can get the employee price, but I was just wondering what the student rate is...
along the same lines, does anyone know if there are any specs/software requirements unique to fordham that we need on a computer?

also, do you think we'll be bringing laptops into class with us everyday? i know it varies from school to school, but i'm trying to decide if i should buy a netbook for this purpose or just keep my old computer/buy a great new one

If you check the Law school admissions forum, you will see a thread called "Ideal Law school Laptop". That thread has a TON of great information. Personally, I am not a fan of the netbooks. But there are a bunch of people on that thread in your similar situation that are buy netbooks. Before you purchase, I would have the Fordham Law school support desk certify your netbook to make sure it will comply with any and all of the requirements.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:04 pm

I got a bit of a surprise last night; my roommate's parents are buying her a studio, and she called me last night to tell me the news. (She actually seemed a bit sad about leaving. I love her, but if my parents were buying me an apartment, I'd be pretty damn excited.)

Anyway, here is my situation. I currently live in a small but charming turn of the century building, in a row of other such buildings on 11th St between 3rd and 4th. It's a converted 2br, and I am subletting my room for $1200. My lease ends at the end of July, and I'll be asking for a reduction in the total rent to $2600. I was paying well under half the rent, by special arrangement with the girl who asked me to take over her lease. If I can't get the reduction, I will probably not sign the lease for next year.

I need advice, as I can either stay put, or move closer to the school. Either way, I am sure I will need roommates to keep my rent under $1400. I am completely laid back about the gender or sexual orientation of said roommates (I'm obviously a girl, lol) but I do have a really shy rescue cat who mostly sleeps on my bed when she isn't hiding. I love animals and am completely open to living with them.

What do you guys think? If I stay put, I'll be looking for a cool new roommate, but would it make better sense to head north?

JoshHK

New

Post by JoshHK » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:23 pm

hm... i'd say move West... but i'm particularly averse to switching subway lines.... i've kept my search almost exclusively to the west side--but am open to anything below 90th St.

but... if you like your apartment and the EVill and don't mind a bit of a commute... you should stay put... esp. if you can get the rent down to $2600... that's a fair price for a 2BR converted.

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:13 pm

Sorry to be annoying about this, but have you considered moving outside of Manhattan? Astoria is a 20 minute commute away and so are a lot of other places in the rest of the boroughs at a fraction of the cost you pay in Manhattan. I just think it's crazy to pay that much money for a closet-sized place.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:53 am

pammy1985 wrote:Sorry to be annoying about this, but have you considered moving outside of Manhattan? Astoria is a 20 minute commute away and so are a lot of other places in the rest of the boroughs at a fraction of the cost you pay in Manhattan. I just think it's crazy to pay that much money for a closet-sized place.

I plan on being in that library at late hours and so taking a subway at that time might be annoying.... thats just me tho... If you can study in your room or apartment, it seems like a feasible option to me. I dont kno about the rates in astoria but I know Jersey City is just as expensive but you get nicer apartments and more space. For me, its not worth the commute. Space is not an issue.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:56 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I got a bit of a surprise last night; my roommate's parents are buying her a studio, and she called me last night to tell me the news. (She actually seemed a bit sad about leaving. I love her, but if my parents were buying me an apartment, I'd be pretty damn excited.)

Anyway, here is my situation. I currently live in a small but charming turn of the century building, in a row of other such buildings on 11th St between 3rd and 4th. It's a converted 2br, and I am subletting my room for $1200. My lease ends at the end of July, and I'll be asking for a reduction in the total rent to $2600. I was paying well under half the rent, by special arrangement with the girl who asked me to take over her lease. If I can't get the reduction, I will probably not sign the lease for next year.

I need advice, as I can either stay put, or move closer to the school. Either way, I am sure I will need roommates to keep my rent under $1400. I am completely laid back about the gender or sexual orientation of said roommates (I'm obviously a girl, lol) but I do have a really shy rescue cat who mostly sleeps on my bed when she isn't hiding. I love animals and am completely open to living with them.

What do you guys think? If I stay put, I'll be looking for a cool new roommate, but would it make better sense to head north?

In this housing market, I am willing to bet you can get your rent down to more than that. If you can, then stay. If they dont budge on the rent, move to the west side in a neighborhood you like.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:18 am

OS...i'd do as much as i can to have them lower the rent...if there was any time that you as a tenant have some leverage, now is that time (i have several friends who have had such luck in negotiations)...i'm very 'moving-averse', but thats probably because i've done so twice in about a year's time, and i know how annoying the apartment search can be

...but if you did go ahead and move, i kinda have to agree with josh, i'd probably head west before i go north.....i work midtown east, and live about 10 blocks north of fordham...i tend to find the switching of trains to be the most annoying part of the commute (most time consuming)

just my $0.02

JoshHK

New

Post by JoshHK » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:07 pm

pammy1985 wrote:Sorry to be annoying about this, but have you considered moving outside of Manhattan? Astoria is a 20 minute commute away and so are a lot of other places in the rest of the boroughs at a fraction of the cost you pay in Manhattan. I just think it's crazy to pay that much money for a closet-sized place.
borough vs. manhattan is purely a matter of personal preference. i've had this debate with people too many times to count. they can't see why i'm willing to pay however much more $$ to live in manhattan; and i can't really understand why they're unwilling to pay more for all the conveniences and niceties that come with living on the island... so, let's just agree to disagree... :wink:

i have tried going borough before though... did a sublet in bk for a summer... wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either... i just prefer being able to walk wherever i need to go, and you can't do that if you go borough...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:22 pm

JoshHK wrote:
borough vs. manhattan is purely a matter of personal preference. i've had this debate with people too many times to count. they can't see why i'm willing to pay however much more $$ to live in manhattan; and i can't really understand why they're unwilling to pay more for all the conveniences and niceties that come with living on the island... so, let's just agree to disagree... :wink:

i have tried going borough before though... did a sublet in bk for a summer... wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either... i just prefer being able to walk wherever i need to go, and you can't do that if you go borough...
I guess. I grew up in Queens and never really had a desire to live in Manhattan. Too crowded and smelly. :?

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:24 pm

pammy1985 wrote:
JoshHK wrote:

I guess. I grew up in Queens and never really had a desire to live in Manhattan. Too crowded and smelly. :?
What part? I grew up in Corona.

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:25 pm

silenziatori wrote:
pammy1985 wrote:
JoshHK wrote:

What part? I grew up in Corona.
Astoria. That's why I was advertising it. :D

txgirl

New

Post by txgirl » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:09 pm

Hey guys, I moved to Manhattan last night from TX. It's been kind of overwhelming, but exciting. Anyways, I don't really know anyone here yet, so I was hoping some people wanted to do another bar night soon. Anyone interested?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:11 pm

txgirl wrote:Hey guys, I moved to Manhattan last night from TX. It's been kind of overwhelming, but exciting. Anyways, I don't really know anyone here yet, so I was hoping some people wanted to do another bar night soon. Anyone interested?
I'm down. Where are you living? I'm in midtown east

txgirl

New

Post by txgirl » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:15 pm

geoanthem wrote:
txgirl wrote:Hey guys, I moved to Manhattan last night from TX. It's been kind of overwhelming, but exciting. Anyways, I don't really know anyone here yet, so I was hoping some people wanted to do another bar night soon. Anyone interested?
I'm down. Where are you living? I'm in midtown east

Hell's Kitchen. It seems like there's a lot of bars around here, but I'm down to go anywhere.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:18 pm

i missed the first one, so i'm definitely down for this one

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:22 pm

i bet. i'm down for another bar night. someone want to set up something for next week. i'm big on gung-ho enthusiasm but not so much on ideas or planning inclination.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:26 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
i bet. i'm down for another bar night. someone want to set up something for next week. i'm big on gung-ho enthusiasm but not so much on ideas or planning inclination.
+1
sorry

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:27 pm

jrock12 wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
+1
sorry
+2. I like suggesting places near me to actually meet, but beyond that I will not be helpful...

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:28 pm

geoanthem wrote:
jrock12 wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
+1
sorry
+2. I like suggesting places near me to actually meet, but beyond that I will not be helpful...
now i feel bad lol i started this abdication train, i'll pull it into the station....

if there aren't any decent ideas or conversation moving towards decent ideas in this thread by the beginning of next week, i'll turn my attention to it.

txgirl

New

Post by txgirl » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:43 pm

What about a happy hour on thursday or friday, this week or next?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:45 pm

txgirl wrote:What about a happy hour on thursday or friday, this week or next?
this sounds just fine, but i can't do it this week (so i'd prefer next...)

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:08 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
should also just keep in mind that most people will have off on friday, due to 4th of july...some may also skip town a bit earlier as well....wed/thurs could even work

txgirl

New

Post by txgirl » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:18 pm

jrock12 wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
should also just keep in mind that most people will have off on friday, due to 4th of july...some may also skip town a bit earlier as well....wed/thurs could even work
So let's say happy hour on wednesday of next week? I heard that Pony Bar on 10th Ave and 45th is pretty good for happy hour (cheap beer and not too loud).

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:56 pm

txgirl wrote:
jrock12 wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
So let's say happy hour on wednesday of next week? I heard that Pony Bar on 10th Ave and 45th is pretty good for happy hour (cheap beer and not too loud).
I'll come if it's next week. Is anyone going to the TLS party this Friday? I want to see people before they skip town to go attend all their far flung T14s, lol.

Txgirl, how do you like the city so far?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”